Hello world!

Hello world!

Postby ThudGeek » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 pm

I figured I'd register and introduce myself before I get around to asking questions. Firstly, good luck to all the people who will be purchasing tickets starting tomorrow. I would have liked to go this year, but sometimes life gets in the way and I'll have to delay my trip to 2013. Hopefully the world will not end in December...

Anyway, I'm currently in Massachusetts and want to drive my station wagon to attend. I'll probably be stopping by this board as I prepare. Having read a few of the survival guides, it has been fun thinking about the logistics, but I'll probably need your help when I actually start putting things together. I've been advised to just go with one of those arranged groups, but I figure planning for a week of radical self-reliance is half the fun, right?

Cheers,
-ThudGeek
ThudGeek

Re: Hello world!

Postby Savannah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi ThudGeek!

Sounds like you've got a lot of time to decide whether you want to camp by yourself (a slightly misleading term, as one usually has neighbors) or with an "arranged group". I (genuinely) don't know why, but that phrase makes me grin. :D

A lot of people enjoy the freedom, the reduced chance of interpersonal conflict, and the challenge of having a camp of one--or a very small group. (I can tell from your use of the term "radical self-reliance" that you have indeed done some reading already!) Others like the amenities, responsibilities, and prestige of a theme camp. There are also village-style camps, like Orphan Camp and Stag Camp, that are very social but with few amenities. Anyway, lots of choices. If you decide to join a camp, emailing interesting ones in mid-Spring or earlier is best, as many camps close their doors in May or June.

Here's a Massachusetts link for you in case you want to get to know some locals, if you haven't.
http://regionals.burningman.com/us_ma.html
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jkisha » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ThudGeek » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks for the welcome. I've seen the MA regionals site and will get involved this summer with satellite events. I figure my car could be of use to local burners is 2013 (I'm considering renting a trailer out in Reno, so can help with supply transport). It'll be just a small group of us going - my girlfriend and I will be driving all the way and we are picking up a friend flying to Reno - and we haven't ever been before, so my concern is getting overwhelmed at a theme camp. Thanks for pointing out the Orphan and Stag camps though - that's worth looking into.
ThudGeek

Postby JDCookMS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi Thudgeek, welcome to the forum.

This is going to be (hopefully) my first year going out to Burning Man, so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. But, feel free to contact me and I would be willing to share everything that I learn my first time out so that hopefully you won't make the same mistakes I will. :)

Daniel
JDCookMS

Postby shroom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:05 am

Hi & welcome! I'll be making a return trip in 2013. Read everything you can on here, you'll feel prepared!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Cactus Pete » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Hey ThudGeek.
There's a bunch of Burner folks who have made that drive and been to the Burn many a time. I'd recommend chatting with some of them.
We gather at the Cambridge Brewing Company every Tuesday night.
Come say hi!
Cactus Pete

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Automatic Subconscious

Return to Introduce Yourself!