Thinking about my first Burning Man

Thinking about my first Burning Man

Postby wrek » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:11 pm

Ticket prices are way high, will try the low income route but I could potentially go with a tier'ed ticket if... I can set up airbrushing at the event and charge a small amount to airbrush art for people or even, on people? Is this sort of thing acceptable or are most things done free or for donations or ?

I'm an airbrush artist who's studied drawing, and oil painting as well but I just love airbrushing.

I'm Chad. I live in the Midwest and always wanted to go to BM. Never have. I have a wife and 5 kids which keep me pretty busy but damn it, I want to go in 2012.
I've been unemployed since 2009 and since then studying and practicing art. Lately I've found that I really enjoy airbrush.

You can see some of my stuff here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1011 ... 3049079953 both new and old stuff in there... a lot of it while I was still learning... and I still am of course.

I'm mostly on Google+ : https://plus.google.com/u/0/101127986898473915473/posts -- if you're on G+, add me... but tell me you added me for Burning Man so I add you back.

My wife and I run two struggling businesses. One's a cleaning company and one is a tattoo shop. The tattoo shop is actually doing fine but we don't make much on that, about $500/month max because we don't charge commission to the artists doing tattoos, we just charge rent which covers the bills. Me and Toni also practice tattooing.

edit: removed links to etsy (commerce)- Eric
wrek

Re: Thinking about my first Burning Man

Postby Eric » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:36 pm

wrek wrote:Ticket prices are way high, will try the low income route but I could potentially go with a tier'ed ticket if... I can set up airbrushing at the event and charge a small amount to airbrush art for people or even, on people? Is this sort of thing acceptable or are most things done free or for donations or ?

The only commerce allowed inside the event is Ice Sales (at the "Arctica" camps: Center Camp & the 3 and 9 o'clock plazas) and the Coffee Shop at Center Camp (which is hugely controversial, but run by the Burning Man LLC). Everything from food to bars to dance clubs are absolutely free, anything someone gives you is a Gift. Trying to charge for anything can literally get you thrown out of the event, and is an enormous faux-pas that will create lots of bad interactions!

Read the First Timers Guide and all of the links off of it (especially the Survival Guide)- you'll find a lot of these questions answered, you will also find many basic questions answered in the Preparation forums of the ePlaya (the Q & A Tips & Tricks section is extremely helpful in learning the basics)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby wrek » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:05 pm

That's pretty much what I thought and sounds fantastic. I'm looking forward to painting some people as a gift part of the time maybe and enjoying the fun the other part. ;)
wrek

Postby Savannah » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi Wrek,

Last year there was a 24-Hour-Airbrush-a-Thon. :) You might like to talk shop with the camp in this listing.
http://playaevents.burningman.com/2011/ ... vent/4534/

Here's an ePlaya thread of theirs, also.
viewtopic.php?t=40006
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby lemur » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:42 pm

i am setting up a lemonade stand in front of First Camp this year

$5 a glass.. with all of the money going to "SAVING STARVING CHILDREN, SAVING BABY SEALS, AND GIVING TO BATTERED WOMEN SHELTERS"

just let em stop me!!!

how could they live with the guilt?
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby jkisha » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:15 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Welcome! You will find a way to go home.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby teardropper » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:20 pm

AntiM wrote:Welcome! You will find a way to go home.

And... there's no place like home... there's no place like home...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Return to Introduce Yourself!