Anyone from ND, SD, MN going in 2012

Anyone from ND, SD, MN going in 2012

Postby howdey69 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:54 am

We are virgins going for the first time, and would like to get to know others.
howdey69

Re: Anyone from ND, SD, MN going in 2012

Postby AntiM » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:20 am

Welcome!

We'd like to get to know you. Tell us a little bit about yerselves.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby howdey69 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:12 am

Both in our 40s. From ND. Love to camp. Looking for adventure, but not the disneyland kind.
howdey69

Postby AntiM » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:20 am

There certainly is adventure out there! The camping is not quite the same, which makes it fun.
AntiM

Postby howdey69 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:47 am

Primitive camping we can handle. DESERT survival, however, is unique. I am not sure how to haul enough water.....lol

We are also not sure if we want to join a camp or not. We want to participate, as the blogs say thats the only way to really "be apart" of the celebration, and we love to help out, but don't want to get in the wrong crowd and bring the "vibe" down for anyone else. Sometimes we just wanna do our own things, our own way.

Anyhow, I was posting on here to just see if others from this general area were headed that way. Travel would not seem so far if there were others to share it. And you never know when you might need that "extra" spare tire (or part) to keep moving. We have a smaller 5th wheel that we will probably be bringing to haul everything.
howdey69

Postby AntiM » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:00 am

Water is subjective, because what you need to drink to survive is different than what you might want to use for showers and kitchen. Also, you may end up hauling water out because you can't dump it. We tried big containers and a pump at first, but now we go with smaller containers such as suitcases and a couple gallon jugs just because that size is useful, nothing larger than 5 or 15 gallons in one container. That's for weight and to prevent contamination. Other people don't see the big drum as an issue.

Camping on your own is perfectly fine, you won't be alone and can still participate fully. There are also village options, which allow for freedom and flexibility. Hang out here and if you can put up with our eplaya nonsense, you'll find what works for you folks eventually.
AntiM

Postby unjonharley » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:16 am

I store 20 gallon of water year around in the disaster kit.. It's kept in 5gal water bottles and rotated in our kitchen monthly..

So I will bring two container with a $3 hand pump for shower and general. Also a 5 gallon Igloo drink dispenser (block iced) for cold drink. I filter and shape my own ice..
unjonharley

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:19 am

Welcome to ePlaya. And pay no mind to the blogs that say stuff like that. Lots of people camp on their own, or with a group of folks that aren't part of some elaborate theme camp and have an amazing time. +1 to everything AntiM says. Water ends up being fairly easy, once you figure out your travel route just plan to pick up what you'll need from the last decent-sized town along the way. The site's got some great info and resources for getting answers to questions you run across as you plan your adventure, and hopefully you'll make some connections with people in your regional area. Check the regional groups page on the main site, I think there's a South Dakota group that you can connect with. Cheers!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:24 am

There are certainly a good number from Minnesota as well.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby howdey69 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks for all the good advice. I am already changing my plans....less water = more room for beer....LOL

Thats what I am hoping for is others to travel with from here, just because of the distance. You never know what can happen.

I am so ecstatic. I was jumping for joy when I got the email that I was one of the first to receive tickets, even at over $430 each. I haven't told the wife yet, she seen the charge on our bank account, but doesn't know "exactly" what it is. Christmas present. LOL.
howdey69

Postby Savannah » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:59 pm

howdey69 wrote:Primitive camping we can handle. DESERT survival, however, is unique. I am not sure how to haul enough water.....lol

We are also not sure if we want to join a camp or not. We want to participate, as the blogs say thats the only way to really "be apart" of the celebration, and we love to help out, but don't want to get in the wrong crowd and bring the "vibe" down for anyone else. Sometimes we just wanna do our own things, our own way.

Anyhow, I was posting on here to just see if others from this general area were headed that way. Travel would not seem so far if there were others to share it. And you never know when you might need that "extra" spare tire (or part) to keep moving. We have a smaller 5th wheel that we will probably be bringing to haul everything.

Hi Howdey!

You won't have to join a camp to participate, not by a long shot. (I typically love camping with just one or two other people). Participation can mean joining a parade, or walking up to Lamplighter's camp one evening at 5pm and volunteering for the next few hours, or displaying art, or offering beer to strangers passing by, and going out on MOOP patrol (with gloves and a bag), i.e., picking up trash--which everyone is supposed to do anyway. (One can go picking up MOOP on the way to other destinations, too. Multi-tasking).

If you have an instinct that you'll want to have your time be your own, and can stake down your own tent and shade with rebar & ferocity, heed that feeling. You can still visit theme camps all you like.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:02 pm

And make sure you make it to the ePlaya Meet & Greet Thursday evening. That's where all of the really cool kids hang out.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby bigdane » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Welcome!!! I'll be a first timer myself coming from the sunshine state, Florida! I've met some uber cool people on epalya already and sure you will too! Everyone here has made me feel so welcome. There is a ton of info here but I've learned fast to ask any question and someone always has an answer!!
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby illy dilly » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:06 pm

howdey69 wrote:Thanks for all the good advice. I am already changing my plans....less water = more room for beer....LOL

Thats what I am hoping for is others to travel with from here, just because of the distance. You never know what can happen.

I am so ecstatic. I was jumping for joy when I got the email that I was one of the first to receive tickets, even at over $430 each. I haven't told the wife yet, she seen the charge on our bank account, but doesn't know "exactly" what it is. Christmas present. LOL.

Welcome to eplaya!!!

So what did the Misses say when you gave her the ticket and explained the $900ish dollar charge?
Did she have a pretty good idea what it was before you gave them to her?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby howdey69 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:45 pm

She was very excited...well not exactly. She has no idea what it all will involve, so its hard to be excited. However, she is definately looking forward to it once I explained the whole idea and what to expect. We read some of the blogs and looked at some of the pictures and videos. We have both reached that age in life where we want to try different things and experiences...just to see if we missed anything along the way.... :) :roll:
howdey69

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:23 pm

howdey69 wrote:She was very excited...well not exactly. She has no idea what it all will involve, so its hard to be excited. However, she is definately looking forward to it once I explained the whole idea and what to expect. We read some of the blogs and looked at some of the pictures and videos. We have both reached that age in life where we want to try different things and experiences...just to see if we missed anything along the way.... :) :roll:

WOW!!!
Does she seem like she is on board? A week in the desert is no pic-nic.

Though, I'm sure as she checks out more and more photos and stories she will get more and more excited. Tell her she has to spend 1 hour every week looking through the Galleries on the main site
http://galleries.burningman.com/browse?mediatype=photo

It wont be long before she is buying up all the fur coats and new socks she can find.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby teardropper » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:07 pm

unjonharley wrote: with a $3 hand pump...

Thread drift... for your drinking water, get a Dolphin pump. I was going through a couple of the $3 ones a year. Dolphins are for your 5 gallon bottles, $12, works real good and doesn't drip...

OK.

Welcome. Used to live in the USA's 'Great White North', but over by Duluth.

You guys are in for it, now. Savor the wait...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:11 pm

howdey69 wrote:She was very excited...well not exactly. She has no idea what it all will involve, so its hard to be excited. However, she is definately looking forward to it once I explained the whole idea and what to expect. We read some of the blogs and looked at some of the pictures and videos. We have both reached that age in life where we want to try different things and experiences...just to see if we missed anything along the way.... :) :roll:

If you tell us more about her concerns, or interests (or both) we may be able to give specific tips that would make things easier--or better yet, more fun. She is also--of course--welcome to log in here as well.

Warn her about us first. Burners are awesome, but this is still the internet. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby teardropper » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:13 pm

bigdane wrote: Everyone here has made me feel so welcome.

Well, yeah, but that was before we knew you wore your hat sideways...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby NellieX » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm in MN, my husband and I are attending for the first time this year.
NellieX

Return to Introduce Yourself!