HELLO and THANK YOU!

HELLO and THANK YOU!

Postby mrgr8avill » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Birgin here finally lining up to make it in '12 after trying for so many years! Just want to say "thank you" to all you miserable, beautiful sons-a-bitches who take the time to share your stuff here on ePlaya. In my readings, I've cried in the temple alongside you, and felt the tiniest bit of the love and joy you all (most of you anyway) took home with you. My feathers are safely stowed and I'm happy to jump into the community meeting you here in hopes of meeting you in person!
It should be "more fun than FILLING a barrel full of monkeys." Once you get all the little bastards in there, it gets really boring really fast.
mrgr8avill

Re: HELLO and THANK YOU!

Postby Elderberry » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:41 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:23 pm

Hey Mr. Gr8avill, Welcome to eplaya!

There is a lot to learn from this forum, but you should still read the Survival Guide and First Timer's Guide. Both can be found under links at the top of the main Burningman.com web site.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby mrgr8avill » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks, Illy! I have read them, and so much else it's all a huge blur to me. Luckily, I have months and months to read them over and over until they all start to find a place. I apologize in advance if I step on toes or act like a Noob but I promise you my heart's in the right place =)
It should be "more fun than FILLING a barrel full of monkeys." Once you get all the little bastards in there, it gets really boring really fast.
mrgr8avill

Postby remi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Welcome, and hopefully we'll meet on the Playa!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby mrgr8avill » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks, Remi! You have no idea how much I am looking forward to it -- or maybe you do =-)

Hey I have two questions for y'all -- both have to do with arrival...

1) they mention packing in a chill way to allow for easy searches to speed things up. I want to be a good line guy but I'm REALLY tight on space. Also, Alcohol is my drug of choice so I really don't have anything to hide. The survival guide just mentions packing in a way to help the search. In y'all's experience, how detailed are those things & what can I do to make 'em faster? I'm not the world's most organized person and I can just imagine unloading for an hour so they can get to something they want to see that I buried...

2) I know there are no "assigned spaces," but I haven't found anything as far as how much space you can expect or plan for. How does that work when you're outside a theme camp? Do you just do a land-grab? I'd like to plan our space a bit but I can't find anything on what kind of size I should be thinking about.

I know these sound like strange Noob ??? but they're the only ones I have so far that I haven't found an answer to. The experience I can let happen, but I'm really interested in being as cool & contributing a member as I can be and I don't want to start things off acting unintentionally dickish.
mrgr8avill

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:25 pm

1) They're looking for stowaways when you go through gate.. that's about it. It depends on what kind of vehicle you are in, but if it's a car then you're fine. They just mean to not pile things up in trucks in a funny way that it takes unpacking. Even in my box truck, my "search" takes about 30 seconds if that. You will be fine.

2) Yes, you pull up and just find a space. The best way is communication. Talk to your neighbors around you and find out who is where and what. Read this thread: viewtopic.php?t=29356 (I can tell you haven't been doing your proper due diligence.. that's a sticky in the camping/shelter forum..)
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi mrgr8avill!

Junglesmacks said some good stuff there, including that link. You will receive a map when you come in that shows you were "open camping" is.

I will add only: have your stuff packed in bags & or containers where possible . . . boxes, cooler, duffle bags, rubbermaid, anything. It's easier for you to find your stuff later, and it's easier for you/Gate to move it quickly if they ask you to move it. I remember someone from Gate staff lamenting a box truck that was packed as though someone had just upended bureau drawers into it; stuff just everywhere all over the floor. Ugh. Apparently it held up the line a bit.
Savannah

Postby mrgr8avill » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Haha thanks man - I admit I'm in information overload right now. I actually moderate two un-related forums, so I'm kicking myself pretty hard right now for that... Was so concerned with survival guide I forgot to search the forum.

It should be obvious by now why I'm trying to figure this shit out so far in advance -- like I said I'm not the world's most organized person & I do NOT want to be an asshat =)

Thanks again for the help & gentle admonition...
mrgr8avill

Postby mrgr8avill » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Savannah wrote:Hi mrgr8avill!

Junglesmacks said some good stuff there, including that link. You will receive a map when you come in that shows you were "open camping" is.

I will add only: have your stuff packed in bags & or containers where possible . . . boxes, cooler, duffle bags, rubbermaid, anything. It's easier for you to find your stuff later, and it's easier for you/Gate to move it quickly if they ask you to move it. I remember someone from Gate staff lamenting a box truck that was packed as though someone had just upended bureau drawers into it; stuff just everywhere all over the floor. Ugh. Apparently it held up the line a bit.

Thanks, Savannah! I've been here all of 24 hours & have help/good advice from you in two different threads... I really appreciate your time =)
mrgr8avill

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:39 pm

I wasn't there for our camps box truck search. But from what I was told, they opened the door, the guy stepped up, shined a light to the back and said "Fuck this, I don't feel like twisting my ankle- your good"
Though, our truck was packed in Denver for unpacking order in BRC, so all the large camp infrastructure stuff was right at the back of the truck, and all the small tents, sleeping bags, suit cases, etc. against the front wall.

Our RV took about 1 minute to search, then another 6 of shooting the shit with the searcher, named John, who coincidentally used to run John and Tosh's Wear House. Their wear house was an awesome little kick ass place in north Denver. Spent many a night in my teenage years raving it up there. Then they moved to Cali a few years ago. Of all the random people to run into, out of the 7 or 8 lines to get in.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby mrgr8avill » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:05 pm

illy dilly wrote:Our RV took about 1 minute to search, then another 6 of shooting the shit with the searcher, named John, who coincidentally used to run John and Tosh's Wear House. Their wear house was an awesome little kick ass place in north Denver. Spent many a night in my teenage years raving it up there. Then they moved to Cali a few years ago. Of all the random people to run into, out of the 7 or 8 lines to get in.

Love how that works! And thanks again for the advice =) My thought is to get our shit together ASAP & then seek out some regional groups/people to meet & see if we can't help out a bit. This all assumes this year that we "win the lottery," but I'm hoping that drama is a little over-hyped.
mrgr8avill

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:28 pm

mrgr8avill wrote: This all assumes this year that we "win the lottery," but I'm hoping that drama is a little over-hyped.

I think we're all hoping that too!!!
But if not, then we'll just have to build some really awesome art.... with hiddy spots for people, lol.

You should have no trouble finding regional folks in southern Cali. I think half of BRC's population is from California.
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:45 pm

mrgr8avill wrote:Thanks, Savannah! I've been here all of 24 hours & have help/good advice from you in two different threads... I really appreciate your time =)

Haha--you're welcome! Wanna hear something funny? I'm not the world's most organized person either . . . very ADD. I just start shopping and packing wayyyy early, and my packing list is separated into To Do, To Buy, and To Pack, because I'm one of those thrifty, dithering people who's like . . . "$1.49 for 1-ply camping Charmin?!? That's highway robbery. I can get it for 89 cents a roll if I simply wait for a sale." :lol: Which doesn't work too well in July, but works great in February.
Savannah

Postby illy dilly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:56 am

Savannah wrote:
mrgr8avill wrote: I just start shopping and packing wayyyy early, and my packing list is separated into To Do, To Buy, and To Pack,

This is very true!
Half Savannahs stuff was making its first leg of the journey BRC a month or so before the event!

And regarding the lists.... Don't get her started on her shopping receipts! :wink:
illy dilly

Postby burner von braun » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi mrgr8avill,
Welcome to eplaya! Have fun learning more and more about the burn. Even this becomes a fond memory as you devise your first plans, make adjustments, and gather supplies. Great news is you have lots of time to make good decisions and get creative!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby trilobyte » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Welcome to ePlaya - hope we can help you plan your adventure :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Introduce Yourself!