Going to Burning Man alone. (Possibly)

Going to Burning Man alone. (Possibly)

Postby Mschivous » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:44 pm

I have posted before in another fourm introducing myself but I figure I should do it again. My name is Monique. I recently turned 21. My plans are to go to Burning Man for the first time in 2011. I have lived in my room for most of my life. I attempted to move out of my parents house for a place with more adventure three times but ended up back at home every time. I might possibly be headed to Burning Man alone. I have been bullied since my 10th year in high school this could be one of the reasons I few friends. Even fewer who would want to want to go with me to Burning Man. (I keep telling myself that I need to get out more and make more friends.) Quite honestly I don't have anytime. Last semester my grant was taken from me when my parents made $10 more than last year. I wanted nothing more to go back to school but it was too short of notice to apply to another school so I stayed home and ended up with two jobs to save up more money for that degree.

I wanted to go to Burning Man since I found out about it in 2008, I have been reading guides left and right. Saving up for Burning Man but since I don't have many friends who want to go with me. I may end up going alone. I am not going to let this stop me. Other than the hundreds of pages I bookmarked, lists I made, the videos I watched (and they were awesome videos) I have been making gifts and I can't wait to give them all away. I have also been collecting keys to make an installation. If I go alone I most likely won't be able to make this installation but as long as I get to Burning Man I will be happy.

My number one goal is to make more friends and go to Burning Man so if you live in Michigan I would be happy to meet you.

Also if you have any useless keys I would gladly take them off your hands.
Adventure is out there! *points* See you at the playa!
Mschivous

Re: Going to Burning Man alone. (Possibly)

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Mschivous wrote:I have posted before in another fourm introducing myself but I figure I should do it again. My name is Monique. I recently turned 21. My plans are to go to Burning Man for the first time in 2011.

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you...

Anyway, good for not waiting for friends to decide to come with you. First off, when you're 42, it's very likely you won't have any of these friends anyway. Second, you have to go to Burningman for yourself, not to satisfy some friend.
Besides, all you have to do is find a group like Stag Camp or the orphans/endorphins and you'll be plenty fine.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mschivous » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:24 pm

What's the bad news? D:

Anyway If anyone wanted to come with me or if I decided to come alone it will be fine. I will go to the orphan camp like you suggested if I go alone. I wouldn't dream of going to Burning Man for someone else. So I guess I have nothing to worry about (except possibly getting lost and not bringing enough supplies in my tiny car)
Mschivous

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Mschivous wrote:What's the bad news? D:

I suggest reading the first post carefully.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

Oh Fishy that was hilarious. But before I get blamed for being a typo basher, Mschivous you made a typo, you already missed 2011. BTW, you're not related to tattoo goddess by any chance are you?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Mschivous » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Dah! I can't believe I made that typo! I'm so silly. Whoops. I meant 2012. Lol XD

No I am not related to a tattoo goddess.
Mschivous

Postby ygmir » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:02 pm

jkisha wrote:Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

Oh Fishy that was hilarious. But before I get blamed for being a typo basher, Mschivous you made a typo, you already missed 2011. BTW, you're not related to tattoo goddess by any chance are you?

snickering, and rolling eyes............
oh JK, you big ole kidder you........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Mschivous » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Well I was working on a time machine. . . to go back in time. I guess I could go Burning Man 2011 as well as go and tell my past self to always check for typos.
Mschivous

Postby ygmir » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Mschivous wrote:Well I was working on a time machine. . . to go back in time. I guess I could go Burning Man 2011 as well as go and tell my past self to always check for typos.

*biting knuckles for second page*..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:15 pm

ygmir wrote:
Mschivous wrote:Well I was working on a time machine. . . to go back in time. I guess I could go Burning Man 2011 as well as go and tell my past self to always check for typos.

Oddly, that's more or less how I went to the 2010 event.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:24 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Oddly, that's more or less how I went to the 2010 event.

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:54 pm
Wow. I have found an even greater quest.
I must go back in time and kill the three Stooges.

Then I must kill Shemp, just in case.

Ah, my life now has a purpose.

How'd that work out?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:28 pm

They're all dead.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:29 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:They're all dead.

so, you went back, and implanted time delayed mortality accelerators, so they'd die later?

Brilliant!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:32 pm

Hey, I'm good.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:32 pm

Just ask figjam...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Nipple » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Welcome to ePlaya!

Now leave. As quick as you can! It's a trap. We're all terrible, awful people.

Hurry! Fast! Quick smart!

(And don't come crying when you get a speeding ticket. Seriously. There are kids playing there.)

And really, don't take much of anything seriously here, except people's Packing/Desert/Dessert Survival advice... unless they're dumb.
Nipple

Postby ygmir » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 pm

only you, Fishy, could regress in time, and plant such a diabolical and insidious, seed as to enhance their latent mortality, such that they died (except for curly) at a ripe old age, seemingly as it should be, none the while suspecting it was your poke with that umbrella that started the wheels in motion.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Patsh » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:40 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Just ask figjam...

or anyone else who knows you!! :D
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby Savannah » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Heyyy, Mschivous!

There are allegedly Burners in Michigan. Go to the main Burning Man website, click on "Regionals" in the small print near the top, and then on the map 'til you narrow in on Michigan. TA-DA! (Also, if you're on Facebook, look for groups there).

Good idea, planning to go on your own if ya gotta (or driving out alone and meeting a group). A lot of groups who agree to go fall apart or dwindle significantly by June or so, every year. Same old story. :) Preparing for the burn is not cheap or easy.

Here's a good thread for you about Tips for Shy People at Burning Man. I don't know if you are officially shy, but it's a great thread even if it's just that you're rusty at makin' friends . . .

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45094

That made me laugh. Something about the timing. Just funny.

Welcome to the board. :D
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:21 pm

My partner made a skirt out of key chains. It's quite the conversation starter.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:45 am

Welcome to eplaya.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby wh..sh » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 am

Mschivous wrote:I have also been collecting keys to make an installation. If I go alone I most likely won't be able to make this installation but as long as I get to Burning Man I will be happy.

The key project sounds awesome! Can't wait to see it. But if its too big of a project, my suggestion is to hold off until your second burn.
First burn is overwhelming in itself... give yourself the time to take it all in.
And about making friends for life, honestly... you might, you might not, or it might take more than one burn. Either way, you will have lot of fun and meet great people.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:35 am

Hey Mschivous, welcome to eplaya!

You mention having a tiny car and having enough space. There is a group that roles a trailer out of Detroit, that will sell you space in the trailer. I don't know if it is actually out of Detroit, or out of a near by suburb. Seeing as I'm no where near Detroit or along one of their stops I have no idea of the details. Just always thought it was a great idea, and tried to mimic it last year with a box truck out of Denver, but failed miserably.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:03 am

Savannah wrote:Heyyy, Mschivous!

There are allegedly Burners in Michigan. Go to the main Burning Man website, click on "Regionals" in the small print near the top, and then on the map 'til you narrow in on Michigan. TA-DA! (Also, if you're on Facebook, look for groups there).

Look for posts by Sputnik, Robot Steve, and I can think of two more (if you count the fact that I know that Robot Steve had/has another identity at some point). Maybe search on "bridge" or "troll" (although the wheat to chaff ratio on that later is not likely to be actually useful).
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Nipple » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:09 am

The MOOP_Czar is from the wrist of the mitten.
Nipple

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:12 am

wh..sh wrote:The key project sounds awesome! Can't wait to see it. But if its too big of a project, my suggestion is to hold off until your second burn.
First burn is overwhelming in itself... give yourself the time to take it all in.

And about making friends for life, honestly... you might, you might not, or it might take more than one burn. Either way, you will have lot of fun and meet great people.

True, and true! Prepare for everything, expect nothing.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Mschivous » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:20 am

I will make sure look into the regionals and I would look on facebook but I deleted mine for various reasons. The key project might be a bit too big. Thankyou everyone for the help. I hope I don't forget anything important. (Well if I do I will use my time machine.) I'm shy but I have a way to get over it so eventually I won't be shy around new people anymore. Depends on the person and who is there with me I guess. I have to make sure not to tell my parents that I am going alone because they will try their best to stop me even though I am 21. . .

If I have enough people going with me then I will build the installation. If I am alone then I will most likely not do that. Make sure you bring me your keys. Put them in my mail box at camp. I am dead serious about this. XD

Thankyou in advance for the keys and Thankyou again for the help
Mschivous

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:40 am

Mschivous wrote:I will make sure look into the regionals and I would look on facebook but I deleted mine for various reasons. The key project might be a bit too big. Thankyou everyone for the help. I hope I don't forget anything important. (Well if I do I will use my time machine.) I'm shy but I have a way to get over it so eventually I won't be shy around new people anymore. Depends on the person and who is there with me I guess. I have to make sure not to tell my parents that I am going alone because they will try their best to stop me even though I am 21. . .

If I have enough people going with me then I will build the installation. If I am alone then I will most likely not do that. Make sure you bring me your keys. Put them in my mail box at camp. I am dead serious about this. XD

Thankyou in advance for the keys and Thankyou again for the help

Danger! Danger! Will Robinson.
JK
jkisha

Postby trilobyte » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:37 am

Welcome to ePlaya. This place is an excellent resource for planning your adventure, though from your post it sounds like you've got some pretty significant complications (between possible schedule conflicts with school to parental issues). Regardless of your age, if you're living at home I'd encourage you to be mature enough to let your parents know. Traveling alone across most of the country is a fairly significant deal even when it doesn't involve desert conditions, giving the people you live with an idea of where you'll be is just good sense. My parents and I rarely saw eye to eye when I was growing up, but when it came to overnighters and road trips, we had what we now jokingly refer to as the 'dead in a ditch' treaty. I'd periodically check in to let them know I wasn't dead in a ditch somewhere, and I gave them an idea where I was going so that in the unlikely event something happened or I disappeared, they'd know where to start looking.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lucky420 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Hola and Hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!