Hey friends!

Hey friends!

Postby RayMcKay » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:19 pm

Hey ladies and gents!

Decided to sign up on the forum and learn about Burning Man a little more. Ever since Shambhala 2010 (a music festival in British Columbia) I've been on an urge to check out all the coolest festivals. Next year will be my first year going to this, and I would love to get some criticism on what other first timers thought? I was supposed to go last year but nobody wanted to last minute, grr haha. This year when people ask what I'm doing at the end of August, I can say "Oh nothing really, just hanging out in the Nevada desert :P

I'm kind of curious, is anybody else that's attending in 2012 coming from British Columbia?
We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.
RayMcKay

Re: Hey friends!

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi Ray!

Get used to people backing out of going to Burning Man, especially new folks (typically around June, the "I'm doing WHAT?" tends to hit people square in the face). The work and the expense start to hit home for many, around then . . . though the biggest challenge is often the fear of the unknown. So being ready to go solo or meet up with a camp on-playa is good; so is being captain of your own ship, transportation-wise, and/or being ready to post to the rideshare board in July or August if you have a large vehicle (and know that you can fit someone else in there even after adding your water and shade).

You can meet BC burners here (it's just from the "Regionals" link at the top of the main site):

http://regionals.burningman.com/ca_bc.html

Here's a video of first time experience I like. It doesn't show any of the great conversations a person can get into out there, or many of the profound things that (may or may not) happen to a person, which are impossible to sum up properly, but the look on the guy's face when he points the camera at himself, well--that's a familiar look, a look that many Burners have felt out there, and seeing it reflected on his face . . . continues to blow me away:

Welcome. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Welcome to eplaya.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Elderberry » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby illy dilly » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Hey Ray McKay (thats fun to say!!!!)

Welcome to eplaya!

There are a lot of folks from British Columbia, and most parts of Canada.
Yeah, don't count on most people actually going.... until they've been once, then most folks do everything in their power to return year after year.
Last year we had about 20 people in our camp in January....
25 in April
15 in June
10 in July
13 at the start of August
and 16 about half way through the week+ plus a couple folks that weren't "camped" with us but sure did spend A LOT of time in our camp.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Savannah wrote:Here's a video of first time experience I like.

Hey Savannah,
In that video there are a few girls wearing Red life guard Bikinis, kinda like the one you had.
Was there some sorta pre-organized 'life guard' day or theme camp type thing?
Or...
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:04 pm

The camp with the lifeguard tower is called The Playa Surfers. I don't know if any of them are lifeguards, but they're very interested in literally surfing the playa (on self-powered and bike-powered boards).

I was hoping they were there this year, 'cause at minimum, I wanted my picture taken in uniform at their guard tower. :D

(There was another camp with lifeguard chairs, but I didn't have time to visit.)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby RayMcKay » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks for all the responses and information! If it came down to it, and nobody wanted to go with me again this year. I think I may just go solo and make friends down there, or try to leave with some people from BC, and develop friendship along the way! I hope everyone is as friendly as they are at Shambhala. That place is nuts, the most down to earth people ever. Everyone you walk by has a smile and greets you, it's just amazing. I love all the contraptions, and things they have around at Burning Man. I hope i have a good camera by then to capture all the neat things going on. I kind of want to bring a nice camera, and put together a little video of my first trip :shock:
We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.
RayMcKay

Postby illy dilly » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 pm

RayMcKay wrote: I hope i have a good camera by then to capture all the neat things going on. I kind of want to bring a nice camera, and put together a little video of my first trip :shock:

O man, virgin videos are the best!
Ya know, my sister picked up a cheap, $35 at least for a digital camera, at wally world. It takes really good pictures from like 1ft - 100'ish feet away. Past about 100 feet things seem to not focus real well. Its a great little pocket sized point and shoot, and perfect for the playa.

Savannah wrote:The camp with the lifeguard tower is called The Playa Surfers. I don't know if any of them are lifeguards, but they're very interested in literally surfing the playa (on self-powered and bike-powered boards).

I was hoping they were there this year, 'cause at minimum, I wanted my picture taken in uniform at their guard tower

I can dig it. Did you get the picture?
I thought maybe there was another 'record breaking gathering' of life guards or something along those lines.

Last year, there was a 'lifeguard' on duty. She did a great job of saving me from 'drowning' in the playa dust.
illy dilly

Return to Introduce Yourself!