Monty here first time burn 2012!

Monty here first time burn 2012!

Postby bigdane » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Hello! First time gay burner heading to the playa in 2012...been waiting a long time to make the trip and figured I gotta have this adventure! No kid here...getting ready to tie the ends on my 50's but no slouch..going to do this thing chem free and just see where it carries me...looking at several camps and thinking I hold off my first burn from volunteering...though may look into the exodus and help turn off the lights :) Been reading a lot (Survival Guide, the forums and signed up for Jack Rabbit Speaks newletter) and already can't wait to get my ticket in January! Any sober advice is welcome. Costumes? BTW driving from the panhandle of FL and any extra tips on that and arriving during the first 6-8 hours would be good too...I know it will be chaos...but going for the full experience! Thanks, y'all!!
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Re: Monty here first time burn 2012!

Postby lemur » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:56 pm

burning man is awesome, yo!

you picked a good place..

as far as i've experienced burning man is very gay friendly....., since you mentioned it..

do whatever you want to do!

ive been part of a work camp at burning man for a buncha years.. we've had hundreds of volunteers go through, lots of newbie first timers and almost all of them do great and have a great time..

don't let being new discourage you from getting involved, there are a lot of new people friendly depts in the burning man volunteer ranks... lots of ways to involve yourself, from a few hours to much longer.. from onsite sign ups to commitments made months in advance...

advice on volunteering: its better to get your interest known early on, around when you get your ticket.

advice on burning man: it is a lot of fun, theres tons of things to do and get involved in........ it is easy for it to become a year round pursuit.. or even a passion... or maybe not. its not for everyone.. theres some things that suck for everyone, it gets hot, it gets cold, waiting in line really sucks... etc, .. but giving it a try is the only way to know for sure if youll like it.

good luck! and welcome
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:58 pm

There are several camps with alcoholics anonymous-type meetings, the only one I can think of is Hokey Pokey Experience. There are also any number of people who don't much care what your alcohol status is, although there's a lot of free alcohol on the playa.
(I can't really say much about other drugs, since that rarely comes up in front of me.)
I'm sure you'll find much to amuse you.

Any help on Exodus would be greatly appreciated. I think that's the weakest link of the departments, simply on the basis of not enough labor. And it's probably better to work it than to experience it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:59 pm

What's up Monty!

Good luck with all the preps and welcome. Stick around through the long, cold, Floridian winter *snicker* and you'll be all set come summertime. I come from FL as well, and fly to Reno instead of drive across country which I find way more cost and stress effective. Check out my method here: viewtopic.php?t=35289. Not saying it's for everyone but it could help. There have been other threads on it but that's all I could find at the moment..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Heyyy Monty! Glad you did your own Intro thread. :)

Here's a good thread about Costume . . . theory:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43277

And a whole Cothing and Playawear forum:
viewforum.php?f=279
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Welcome to eplaya.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:46 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

Camp Stella is a gay AA camp.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby moonrise » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:25 pm

Welcome!

There's an AA camp who's name has escaped me (sorry) but I read they take in 'refugees" from any camp, anytime during the burn if you're feeling overwhelmed. I also recall that same AA camp has a lot of extra space, so you can move there if you feel the need to. You would want to speak to whoever is in charge of the camp and I think you MUST have your own food, water, shelter/tent but you should have that no matter what or where you camp (in my opinion) Maybe someone else will know the specific name of this AA camp, if so please post it here for Monty!

Camp Stella is a gay camp if I recall correctly, I think you should contact them first. I think they're listed on the list of camps on the main website or try google or ask jkisha via PM (haha, I volunteered ya' jk, i hope that's okay)

Good luck, have fun!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Oh yeah--the whole Sober on the Playa page is here:

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... sober.html
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:48 pm

Welcome! :)
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby tamarakay » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:07 pm

We were chem free and had a great time. Youngsters look at you funny when you won't take their free booze, but no one is pushy with it. I asked everyone who handed me anything if it was ok for a clean and sober person. One day I was handing out chocolate candies and had a lot of no thank yous, then I started saying "it's just chocolate, no added bonus" and then people took them gladly :D

You don't have to camp with a theme camp, but if you do it doesn't necessary have to be a gay one or a sober one. The camp we were with was most definately NOT sober and we fit right in. I don't know what anyone else's experience was but i generally stopped noticing gender, orientation, level of dressiness on Monday. It was just a love fest from then on.

Welcome to Eplaya!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby tamarakay » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Oh and one more thing, GREAT picture. I love it!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby delle » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:02 pm

tamarakay wrote: One day I was handing out chocolate candies and had a lot of no thank yous, then I started saying "it's just chocolate, no added bonus" and then people took them gladly :D
!

Yeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.... Same thing here. By about day 3 I realized that I had better luck with the line "Want a lemon drop? I promise and apologize that it's JUST a lemon drop!!!"

Welcome Home, Monty. These next 10 months may well change the way you see EVERYTHING! It's like you've just donned a pair of majic glasses, the power of which is still unknown to you.

Enjoy the ride!!!
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby bigdane » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:36 pm

delle wrote;
Welcome Home, Monty. These next 10 months may well change the way you see EVERYTHING! It's like you've just donned a pair of majic glasses, the power of which is still unknown to you.

Enjoy the ride!!!

delle i suspect you are righter than right...thanks!
bigdane

Postby Nipple » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:57 pm

I saw on your blog that you're looking at doing PG&E (specificially Exodus!) and/or Lamplighters.

I had my eyes on those two groups as well! Maybe I'll see you there!
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby bigdane » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 pm

Nipple wrote - I saw on your blog that you're looking at doing PG&E (specificially Exodus!) and/or Lamplighters.

I had my eyes on those two groups as well! Maybe I'll see you there!

cool! think either might be a good way to get involved...but not ridiculous in terms of time commitment...
bigdane

Postby MOOP_Czar » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:53 pm

What is wrong with ridiculous?

Oh.. time.. nevermind...
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby MOOP_Czar » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:56 pm

You get a free pass cause I am fucked up...

Welcome to eplaya...

Move along...

MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby boospur » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Hey Monte! I'm a first timer also and same gender! We might have to learn together! Can't wait! And read all the blogs! Everyone is most helpful!
boospur

Return to Introduce Yourself!