New Birgin 2012

New Birgin 2012

Postby VultureChow » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Been lurking for a while while I try to make the final decision whether to go.

I'm actually pretty committed to going. I'm at the age/career where it's only going to get harder for me to leave for a week to do this and I've been thinking about it for years.

Some burner had a guide or post or something where their advice to attending Burning Man was to say yes to as much as you could, and if you are on the fence about it, you should probably just say yes. So I'm saying yes to Burning Man.

I will wait until I purchase a ticket and then get the plane ticket. That will be to point of no return.

My only concern was whether I was cool/pretty enough to go. It's hard to look at so many pictures and not be overwhelmed by the scores of topless women who are younger, thinner and prettier than me.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: New Birgin 2012

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:14 pm

VultureChow wrote:My only concern was whether I was cool/pretty enough to go. It's hard to look at so many pictures and not be overwhelmed by the scores of topless women who are younger, thinner and prettier than me.

Welcome to the madness VultureChow (great name, btw!)

If you make the commitment, you are definitely cool & pretty enough. The reality of the event cannot be captured in pictures or even video, and those shots you see of the "scores of topless women who are younger, thinner and prettier than me" show more the photographers interest than the actual demographic of the Burn. You'll find that quite a lot of us don't fit into the "younger, thinner, prettier" category & we have an amazing time.

Buy your ticket in January or Feb when they go on sale- if you decide not to go you can always resell it later. Having a ticket in your hand makes things gel, and it will encourage you to plan the rest- the rule of thumb is "Ticket First". Everything else comes after that.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:19 pm

I see many women younger, thinner, and prettier than me.........and I still go.

you can do it!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi Vulturechow! Get your ticket as soon as you can. Eric's right, you can always sell it.

Three vaguely related thoughts:

There are Burners of all ages. Frankly, Burners older than me give me hope of being that cool when I am X number of years. (Pleasepleaseplease.)

Maybe 1 in 20 . . . ? . . . women are topless (at some point, usually not at night, and probably not all week). It's common enough not to be remarkable, yet rare enough that you don't feel weird in the least if you refrain. I've never done it. Not my thing.

Not all of the younger ones want to take their tops off, and not all the older folks want to keep them on.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby VultureChow » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:29 pm

Eric wrote:
VultureChow wrote:My only concern was whether I was cool/pretty enough to go. It's hard to look at so many pictures and not be overwhelmed by the scores of topless women who are younger, thinner and prettier than me.

Welcome to the madness VultureChow (great name, btw!)

If you make the commitment, you are definitely cool & pretty enough. The reality of the event cannot be captured in pictures or even video, and those shots you see of the "scores of topless women who are younger, thinner and prettier than me" show more the photographers interest than the actual demographic of the Burn. You'll find that quite a lot of us don't fit into the "younger, thinner, prettier" category & we have an amazing time.

Buy your ticket in January or Feb when they go on sale- if you decide not to go you can always resell it later. Having a ticket in your hand makes things gel, and it will encourage you to plan the rest- the rule of thumb is "Ticket First". Everything else comes after that.

Actually first for me is to reserve the time off for next year. I can submit it December 1st. That I can always cancel, but it's a popular week for vacations, and I can't leave the same time as my immediate boss. I got a little nervous at the talk of changes to the ticket purchasing structure, especially when some were floating the idea of veterans having first dibs, but the more I read,the more it seems like that would be counter to the general philosophy. So I signed up for the newsletter etc,and the day the tickets come out, I'll buy.

Vulture Chow was my trail name when I thru hiked the AT. Fell asleep atop a bald knob (It's a rock formation I swear) with my pack on and woke to find a group of people laughing as the turkey vultures circled overhead. Never thought I'd break that one out again, but it seemed appropriate.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby MOOP_Czar » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Welcome and I can honestly say that if you feel drawn to it - you should probably go. I am 43 and far from a "spring chicken" in any sense of the word.

A couple of things:
1) Nowhere is it set in stone you have to go topless. You are encouraged to walk outside your normal comfort zone, but if anybody tries to push you outside of it, to use a phrase - "They don't get it."
2) There is a fine line between "encouragement" and "pressure".
3) Leave expectations at the door. Yes there is some amazign shit out there. Yes there are some amazing people out there. Yes the Playa itself is an amazing place. It doesnt mean it HAS to be amazing to everyone in the same way.
4) I, and everyone here, will encourage you to read everything on the BM website so you are familiar with the event, especially the 10 Principles.
5) Please don't bring ANY feathers to the Playa...

especially boas...

I hate boas..

Ask anyone...
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:34 pm

MOOP_Czar wrote:I hate boas..

Ask anyone...

*shudder*

He speaketh the truth.

Welcome!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby MOOP_Czar » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:36 pm

junglesmacks wrote:He speaketh the truth.

I never knew you had a lisp.

I know a surgeon...
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby Bin Noddin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Welcome (and I have to add myself to the "love your name" list). You'll find many burners to be older, fatter, balder - and far more interesting - than the pretty pictures show.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

I'm 47 and have a collection of scars that horrify the uninitiated. I try not to be naked, the skin graft sites shouldn't be sunned on. (I can't believe that the spellchecker let me get away with "sunned".) But I'd happily run around naked. It's not particularly charged, more like skinny dipping or being in a hot tub. I like the fact that nakedness isn't "nudity" in the John Berger sense there.
Loook for the pictures that are of the art or crowd scenes and you'll get a better sense of what the actual instance of nudity and stereotypical model=types is.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby VultureChow » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:48 pm

MOOP_Czar wrote:Welcome and I can honestly say that if you feel drawn to it - you should probably go. I am 43 and far from a "spring chicken" in any sense of the word.

A couple of things:
1) Nowhere is it set in stone you have to go topless. You are encouraged to walk outside your normal comfort zone, but if anybody tries to push you outside of it, to use a phrase - "They don't get it."
2) There is a fine line between "encouragement" and "pressure".
3) Leave expectations at the door. Yes there is some amazign shit out there. Yes there are some amazing people out there. Yes the Playa itself is an amazing place. It doesnt mean it HAS to be amazing to everyone in the same way.
4) I, and everyone here, will encourage you to read everything on the BM website so you are familiar with the event, especially the 10 Principles.
5) Please don't bring ANY feathers to the Playa...

especially boas...

I hate boas..

Ask anyone...

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really a feather boa type person anyway. It's funny... I was thinking of going the opposite, at least during the day. I was raised a reform Jew, but what I've always wanted to explore was the more visible and orthodox trappings that I never had the opportunity to experience. Tallit, tefillin, blowing the shofar. Saying prayers at the sunrise, etc.

By day religious, by night hedonistic. Is that too weird for burning man?

I wasn't so worried about being pressured to bare the twins, but rather feeling like a lump next to all the eye candy. Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
Last edited by VultureChow on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby Elliot » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Yes, yes, yes....!

Yes, that was probably me. :lol: I need to learn to say YES when opportunity knocks. Specially a cute female opportunity. I'm still practicing in the mirror. :lol: On Da Bar 3 thread.

Welcome to Eplaya!
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Fundraiser now live: http://igg.me/at/elliotsbicycleservice/x/11087604

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby MOOP_Czar » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:53 pm

PS - I really appreciate that you are using General Woundwort as your avatar...
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:59 pm

VultureChow wrote:By day religious, by night hedonistic. Is that too weird for burning man?

Hm. As compared to what? The Billion Bunny March? Critical Dicks? Giant Praying Manti? The Contraption? A camp built around the Hokey Pokey? The giant Operation game? The giant Mousetrap game?

If there is any place to go to try and find a balance/connection with those two things, Burningman is one. More preparation to have fun; less Angst.

(and usually, I'm on the side of Angst.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Elderberry » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:05 pm

Welcome,

The photogs generally take pics of photogenidc young folk, so don't let that deter you.

The playa is about inner beauty - I'm about as ugly, old, fat, and have as tragic a sense of fashion as is humanly possible - yet I fit in (as does everyone).

As far as by day religious, by night hedonistic - that is the kind of dichotomy that makes it all fun.

I nver have witnessed anyone pressuring to bare the twins - or anything else.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby deutlich » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:37 pm

Savannah wrote:There are Burners of all ages. Frankly, Burners older than me give me hope of being that cool when I am X number of years. (Pleasepleaseplease.)

Right?!

Edit: And - duh - WELCOME TO EPLAYA, VultureChow! Sorry I got a lil' trigger happy before welcoming you properly. ;)
Last edited by deutlich on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deutlich

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Thumper

Postby deutlich » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:38 pm

I swear this is the last time I hit quote instead of edit. I swear!
deutlich

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Thumper

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:42 pm

You can always backspace and hit edit. No biggie.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Welcome.
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby Nipple » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:18 am

I would expect everything and nothing.

It's a giant orgiastic art festival where everything is taken to absurd extremes. I had fun just biking around saying aloud the things I was seeing. The absurd becomes normal.

"Naked guy with 2 blue umbrellas...check. Viking on a tall bicycle with a penis on his handlebars...delightful! Rattleclank fire spewing clockwork octopus... why wouldn't it be? Spinning fur tube. Yes. Giant neon chicken. Of course!"

Everything is out of place, and everything fits right in. That includes you.
Nipple

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:22 am

Nipple wrote:Everything is out of place, and everything fits right in. That includes you.

I like that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:57 am

I will give you a little bit of "just lost my virginity" advice. Burning man is literally the coolest place and you will meet so many awesome people... not because they look perfect, but because they have amazing attitude. So the only thing you need to wear at burning man is your attitude. Just be yourself and enjoy that freedom to not live up to anyone else's expectations.

So, I think you need to definitely go to Burning man. And when you do, please go to the temple. Walk around and you will see how many people are there struggling to love themselves as they are.
Make a promise to love yourself as you are and let it the insecurities Burn!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby illy dilly » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:35 am

Welcome to eplaya!
I was going to say
Eric wrote:The reality of the event cannot be captured in pictures or even video, and those shots you see of the "scores of topless women who are younger, thinner and prettier than me" show more the photographers interest than the actual demographic of the Burn

Then something like
MOOP_Czar wrote:Welcome and I can honestly say that if you feel drawn to it - you should probably go.

Bin Noddin wrote:Welcome (and I have to add myself to the "love your name" list). You'll find many burners to be older, fatter, balder - and far more interesting - than the pretty pictures show.

Do say YES to everything! Unless it makes you uncomfortable. Even though YES is a big part of the burn, it is still ok to say NO. Do not let the "just say Yes" philosophy push you into something you don't want to do!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Ninzy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Welcome and yeah you should definitely get a ticket! You can always gift it (in true Burner style) or sell it if you change ur mind!

My first year and believe me I was hung up on the same shit until I got out there - you know what wh..sh is right! There is nothing more stunning than your inner beauty and its what people will notice about you out there - bring a smile and a positive attitude and people will see you for the amazing beautiful person you are!

Remember wear the crown of self respect and you will always be a Queen!
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!
Ninzy

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Of course Ninzy, you're a Barbiebarian and life's always better when you're one of us.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Ninzy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:34 am

Indeed it is Doc
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!
Ninzy

Postby remi » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:21 am

Welcome.. definitley check out the BM First Timers Guide on the website... other then that, your already asking questions at the right place. Listen to the advise of the experienced burners and you shall have a glorious time.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Return to Introduce Yourself!