Bliss! Such a Warm Welcome/New Friends!

Bliss! Such a Warm Welcome/New Friends!

Postby Kontradiction » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome(s) I'm receiving, the wonderful advice...and thanks to a certain Theme Camp (That I was lusting after the moment I saw their Site/Blog) for even considering me (which shall stay unnamed out of respect to the Coordinators of course)...yipee I feel so excited about BM 2012, can't hardly wait, we're shopping tent stoves avidly and eagerly await the opening day of ticket sales (I'm getting the Day off).

<3
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Re: Bliss! Such a Warm Welcome/New Friends!

Postby Elderberry » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:50 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Kontradiction » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:52 pm

Hey back, how's that pickle Bloody Mary? : )
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:05 pm

You have a good plan for the tickets...
Artillery helps...
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby ohmu » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 pm

(I'm getting the Day off).

I'd expect this for the release of a Final Fantasy game in Japan, but never for Burning Man! Harumph!
ohmu

Postby gaminwench » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:14 am

mmmm, Bliss was soooo lst year...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Kontradiction » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:21 am

ohmu wrote:
(I'm getting the Day off).

I'd expect this for the release of a Final Fantasy game in Japan, but never for Burning Man! Harumph!

Depends..isn't there irrational (vs. rational) Chaos the Moment they sell out?

Nah, I'd like to be prepared. :P

Kontradiction

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Don't worry, the event takes months to sell out.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Unless of course it doesn't.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Kontradiction » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Hence my making the first Day of Sales a mini For Me Only **Holiday**, to involve drinking extra dirty Ciroc martinis in my pj's, finger trigger and CC at the ready. :P

I'mma going, it's On like Donkey Kong: All can join me in my Pursuit that day.

Kontradiction

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:58 am

Kontradiction wrote:Hence my making the first Day of Sales a mini For Me Only **Holiday**, to involve drinking extra dirty Ciroc martinis in my pj's, finger trigger and CC at the ready. :P

I feel ths is wise...

Two words of advice -

1) Clean your drinking tube ahead of time.

2) Make sure your lenses are clean and unfogged.
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby NessaZee » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:20 am

so which tier are you buying? what's your strategy?
first day will -most likely- be first and second tier.

last year I jumped on first tier 'cause i had no job.

When I was looking for tickets two weeks before the burn (for my hubby and his dad!), i came across a low income ticket that I had to pass up...My father-in-law had given me $350 to find his ticket. BUT, as soon as i turned that one down, 4 more available tickets showed up....just like that. I'm betting the 2011 burn was sold out but not fully attended.
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby Kontradiction » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:39 pm

NessaZee wrote:so which tier are you buying? what's your strategy?
first day will -most likely- be first and second tier.

last year I jumped on first tier 'cause i had no job.

When I was looking for tickets two weeks before the burn (for my hubby and his dad!), i came across a low income ticket that I had to pass up...My father-in-law had given me $350 to find his ticket. BUT, as soon as i turned that one down, 4 more available tickets showed up....just like that. I'm betting the 2011 burn was sold out but not fully attended.

Well, honestly, since 2012 is my 1st Burn, and me and The Dude wanted to be as prepared as early as possible, meaning now/sooner the better (and I know this might sound 'moronic' to some). We already camp so we have gear except for a few essentials, monkeyhut to name one, and a different tent stove to name the second; we'll be doing desert camping here in Cali to prepare months before. I work in the Salon Industry and am relatively self-employed, I do nails and my niche is pedicuring primarily.

So..taking a day off for me is easy like that mostly.

Question: Does it "matter" if you get the earlier tiers or not? Are there any considerations that I need to consider (apologies in advance for the over-simplicity of the Question).

I saw from last year the longer you wait, the more expensive it gets...the difference of about a hundred bucks each, is appealing.

Kontradiction

Postby NessaZee » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:41 pm

I encourage you to buy at the highest price you can afford. if you can afford a $350 ticket, that makes burning man more accessible/inclusive for those who may be lower income than you.(leaves more lower priced tickets available)

It's way different than the 'gotta get the best deal' way of looking at things, and 100+ times more satisfying.
Honestly, a ticket is worth more than $350 to me :)
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:29 pm

NessaZee wrote:I'm betting the 2011 burn was sold out but not fully attended.

Sadly, not true. The llc is apparently in trouble with BLM for hitting a peak population of 54,000.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Welcome! Nice to see another salon person here! I do a little bit of everything :) I know nails but maybe you can teach me some stuff out on the playa!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby trilobyte » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:12 pm

@NessaZee & @Cryptofishist... The peak daily average as recorded by BLM and BMOrg was 53,735 on Friday and Saturday. It's a technical violation (BLM had hoped for a lower number), they had indicated that they were extremely happy with how the event was managed. Given the economic conditions in the local region, it's considered unlikely that any fines or actions would be taken. The BLM was also extremely pleased with the playa inspection results. Fingers crossed on a swift and speedy 5-year permit negotiation process.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby moonrise » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:53 pm

Welcome!!

Heya, I'm concerned about a "tent stove", not to be a wet blanket, but, is that something used for heating your tent? I don't think you need a heater in your tent. Um, years ago some freinds went camping and they asphyxiated, the entire family! (it was tragic) They didn't do it right, and for all I know, there are safe tent stoves...(are there?) haha, I'm sooo outta touch with modern day car camping, haha...

Again, Welcome! You're gonna be soooooo glad you make it to ~)'(~! It'll be the beginning of the beginning :)

See you in the dust....
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Kontradiction » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:40 am

moonrise wrote:Welcome!!

Heya, I'm concerned about a "tent stove", not to be a wet blanket, but, is that something used for heating your tent? I don't think you need a heater in your tent. Um, years ago some freinds went camping and they asphyxiated, the entire family! (it was tragic) They didn't do it right, and for all I know, there are safe tent stoves...(are there?) haha, I'm sooo outta touch with modern day car camping, haha...

Again, Welcome! You're gonna be soooooo glad you make it to ~)'(~! It'll be the beginning of the beginning :)

See you in the dust....

See you in the dust too!

Thanks totally for your Concern. Please see this Link; we're using this type of tent (Hunting Tent) with a stove jack flap already sewn into the tent, and coordinating tent stove. The stove pipe of the tent stove goes out the opening in the s.j.f.

Also, please watch this video as a reference, so you'll get an idea of what this certain type of tent and stove Duo is capable of.

You'll want to click on the Video Library and watch the "Traditional Frame Tent Setup" video:

http://www.highdeserttradingpost.com/index.html

Kontradiction

Postby Kontradiction » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:41 am

NessaZee wrote:I encourage you to buy at the highest price you can afford. if you can afford a $350 ticket, that makes burning man more accessible/inclusive for those who may be lower income than you.(leaves more lower priced tickets available)

It's way different than the 'gotta get the best deal' way of looking at things, and 100+ times more satisfying.
Honestly, a ticket is worth more than $350 to me :)

Thanks for the clarification. : )

Kontradiction

Postby moonrise » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:45 am

My browser or the website isn't working very well :( couldn't see the video etc

I did see the price for a 10x10 tent on the site $495! (I think w/o the stove) versus $150 to $199 for a costco or harbour freight carport, 10x15, 10x20 respectively. The costco carport I bought has all sorts of nice screened windows and doorways, zippers and etc

A stove can be a gas cannister type for cooking.
Warm clothes, bedding and body heat seemed to be quite enough.

Maybe you'll be using your tent w/stove for other camping, but if not, then I'd consider going for the lower cost carport route.

I replaced my carport for BM with a horse trailer, it works great! Now I use my carport year round, it's very useful in my driveway!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 am

A heater might also be a fire risk.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:13 pm

trilobyte wrote:@NessaZee & @Cryptofishist... The peak daily average as recorded by BLM and BMOrg was 53,735 on Friday and Saturday. It's a technical violation (BLM had hoped for a lower number), they had indicated that they were extremely happy with how the event was managed. Given the economic conditions in the local region, it's considered unlikely that any fines or actions would be taken. The BLM was also extremely pleased with the playa inspection results. Fingers crossed on a swift and speedy 5-year permit negotiation process.

Hey I was reading this before I even saw this post.
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18826595
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:20 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:A heater might also be a fire risk.

Indeed, we're using a desert tent (canvas) with coordinating stove made by the same Company, its stack (long metal pipe) goes out a "hole" (stove tent flap) in the roof of the tent, and we're cooking with wood. But I adore you for your concern and I thank you my friend. :)

Kontradiction

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Be real careful with the wood. Small splinters and bark are total moop. Try to keep them off the playa itself. Tarp would be best.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:50 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Be real careful with the wood. Small splinters and bark are total moop. Try to keep them off the playa itself. Tarp would be best.

The (largish) tent we're using has a stitched-in floor. Stove will be inside tent. And def a hand-vac on premise. ; )

Kontradiction

Postby MOOP_Czar » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:55 pm

MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:06 pm

MOOP_Czar wrote:Image

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Kontradiction

Postby MOOP_Czar » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Now just imagine what might happen if you leave MOOP from wood.

Sweet dreams...
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:00 pm

MOOP_Czar wrote:Now just imagine what might happen if you leave MOOP from wood.

Sweet dreams...

Indeed.

You can come by anytime. Really. We're good cooks and we make great Drinks. Always room for one more. And we'll make sure to always use a magnifying glass and tweezers. (Now for what, exactly, I'll leave that up to the snipe....I mean snarkers, or to the Imagination). :twisted:

Kontradiction

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!