New member & first timer,

Re: New member & first timer,

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:50 am

moonrise wrote:Yea, I almost forgot the roasted chestnuts, the pasties are still my favorites.

Actually I'm a fire victim, due to an out-of-control, accidental, no-fault, wildland fire...my house caught on fire over 24 times, in 2007, the same year an attendee at burning man lit the "man" on fire, early! (he's since been convicted of arson and is in the 'gray bar hotel')

He's been out for a while. I think he only served a year or a little more.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trymecad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:58 am

moonrise wrote:Yea, I almost forgot the roasted chestnuts, the pasties are still my favorites.

Actually I'm a fire victim, due to an out-of-control, accidental, no-fault, wildland fire...my house caught on fire over 24 times, in 2007, the same year an attendee at burning man lit the "man" on fire, early! (he's since been convicted of arson and is in the 'gray bar hotel')

2007 was a firey year...Tahoe was ablaze, twice!! and so was the "man", twice!! (I didn't go to burning man in 2007, but I heard about the man burning 'early' due to arson, while dealing with my own fire disatser/mess) Thanks for putting out my house fire departments!!

If you wish to protect your bike, you MUST lock it up, especially while in the port a potties, BRC is a big, busy place and sorry to tell you this, but people must lock the damned bikes, or risk never seeing them again and being stuck on foot! (not good at your age I am guessing) Just put a lock&chain on it, so it's not useful/can't be accidentally borrowed or what have you. (there are zero trees to lock a bike to on the playa, just lock it and set it onto the playa, out of the way, until you need it again)

BRC/the 'playa' event space, is 2 miles across and I think 6 miles if you measure the surrounding road, then add probably another 100+ miles if one were to ride all of the roads...try as you might, you don't need to ride them all (5% would be enough, I think)...plenty to do and see within your neighborhood and on the main roads and out on the open playa. Be sure to ride, ride, ride your bike to get into good biking shape and break in your boots/footwear too...Have fun! :P

Hi moonrise,
Sorry to hear about you being a fire victim on your house almost (Safe with Blessing) being gone, but we for sure we know what’s its all-about the greenbelt & 24/7 watch! Lucky I have my tractors & equipment for clearing and standby! Wow I guess BRC has a heavy responsibility, watching the torching burning man!

Yes I remember those nasty fires during my Tahoe NF experiences as a driver out of Caltrans, Kingvale/Truckee dispatch assigned from Tahoe during Fire Season! They still make the best damn breakfast in town, Truckee Main Street Cafe always looking forward to that thick Ham.

As for the bike situation was thinking GPS a/o taking some spokes out according too individuals weight, light attendee less spokes and wheel reflectors will work for starters cable locks much lighter!

I didn't realize how huge eplaya was an now understanding why, estimate of 50,000+ attendees’, how long is the shower line (Just kidding)!

Thanks for your overwhelming neighborly concerns
trymecad

Postby moonrise » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Yea, we were evacuated for a few days, my knees went out when the Fire Dept Cheif told me he wasn't sure if the house had burned down, or not (I slid down the wall of his office when he said THAT! :shock: ) It took a LOT of pull to get the up-to-the-minute accurate info, phew, the house was still standing, but sustained heavy damages. (I'm still paying them off!)

Thanks trymecad and to all the Fire men and women, everywhere and anywhere!!

I think it's best to keep the bike as strong as possible, I wouldn't remove any spokes and a regular bike chain and lock is plenty. The playa is flat, and I mean really really truly flat! That being said, you should ride ride ride your bike as much as possible at least a couple of months beforehand, it'll help a lot when you get to the event....you'll sail through BRCity with relative ease if you get in bike riding shape (and boot walking shape & break in your footwear too!)

Have fun!
Also, there's an eplaya Meet and Greet Thursday at 6PM at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro...Doc Pyro's camp (Doc P. and Ygmir live in your area) Both are gooood people to know!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby trymecad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi moonrise,
Thanks for your professional advice on rough bicycle pedaling on sandy terrain, I haven't considered either, practice/practice. Anyway if you're around this area drop on by and say Hello.
Thanks for fireman's creed compliment I was just a driver.
trymecad

Postby moonrise » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:15 pm

ten four!! :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Kontradiction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:28 pm

trymecad wrote:
Kontradiction wrote:Welcome! : )

Hi Kontradiction,
Thanks for taking your time in the greeting it's appreciated.
Cute bubblegum logo, I'm still on the learning curve in posting
myself on this site! Hope to meet all at the desert basin someday!
Take care and happy chewing

2012 will be my 1st Burn too! Preparing as I write this, my other half has a List going already. :)
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby deutlich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Welcome, Trymecad!!! Glad you joined us here on the ePlaya!!

Savannah wrote:Hi Trymecad! Military folks seem to do brilliantly out there on the playa. Often amazed, but never fazed. Welcome. :)

Oooh...my brother's a Marine, stationed in CA. I bet anything he'd have a hell of a good time. Hmm...
deutlich

Burning Since: 2011

Postby trymecad » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi deutich,
I love your Illustrations, so original with life of the third-kind, "The dimensions of space". Thanks for those kind words of welcome.
trymecad

Postby trymecad » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Kontradiction wrote:Welcome! : )

Hi Kontradiction,
I'll try to have some bubblegum handy in the future, so I don't get my butt kicked! You're doing great on your new Logo where the olive going!
Thanks of the shout.
trymecad

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself!