New member & first timer,

New member & first timer,

Postby trymecad » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:34 pm

My name is Albert A. Leon Sr. I live in Nevada City, CA. close to Penn Valley, off Bitney Springs, Rd. area.
Born & raised originally in Brooklyn NY where California was a different country than, vehicles weren’t necessary always-using subways too commute. Joined the military at a younger age to see California and-the rest of the world, tour of Vietnam, Combatant Veteran CIB 68/69, retired. Returned home with no fan-fare and got a job with the Tahoe National Forest Service Nevada City CA., retired after 20 yrs. as an Autocad user. Currently collecting SS check also and inherit the name, "Triple Dipper". Own a little old house on the prairie with 14 acres a live creek. Always busy keeping up with the greenbelt, etc. A widower for the past year, "That’s' all folks". Glad to be a member Thanks.
trymecad

Re: New member & first timer,

Postby jkisha » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya.

101st Airborne, Hue/Phu Bai 68-69, 11C, Five man recon.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi Trymecad! Military folks seem to do brilliantly out there on the playa. Often amazed, but never fazed. Welcome. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trymecad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi Savannah,
Thanks for your cordial welcome msg. & general insight of future
posibilites at playa, God willing!
trymecad

Postby illy dilly » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:35 pm

trymecad wrote: got a job with the Tahoe National Forest Service Nevada City CA., retired after 20 yrs.

O Trymecad, I'm jealous!
I'd love to work for the Forest Service, any of the beautiful parts of the US.
In CO you pretty much either have to have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice or have been a cop for a while to be a Park Ranger.
Or if you want to study animals/ecosystems/nature for the CDOW you have to graduated from CSU with some type of animal sciences degree.

Anyway welcome to eplaya!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Vilkommen!
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby trymecad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi illy dilly,
I feel like a celebrity didn't expect awareness so soon! Thanks for your appreciative/welcome too eplaya! I'm just an average retired VN Vet. currently trying to cope within website maze, Q/A! Looking forward meeting new friends.
trymecad

Postby trymecad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi MOOP,
Thanks for my noticing my military service for our beloved country. As a new member I'm trying to keep my left foot inline with the team. It’s dearly welcoming to correspond with-members open arms & hearts as a family unit. God willing next year will be a treat!
trymecad

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:54 pm

illy dilly wrote:
trymecad wrote: got a job with the Tahoe National Forest Service Nevada City CA., retired after 20 yrs.

O Trymecad, I'm jealous!
I'd love to work for the Forest Service, any of the beautiful parts of the US.
In CO you pretty much either have to have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice or have been a cop for a while to be a Park Ranger.
Or if you want to study animals/ecosystems/nature for the CDOW you have to graduated from CSU with some type of animal sciences degree.

Anyway welcome to eplaya!

I think that's pretty much true for all of those type federal jobs. Park Service, BLM, you might be able to get to be an "Automation Clerk" or the like without one. I've long heard that the Park Service Rangers are underpaid, but stick with it because it's what they love.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tamarakay » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:11 pm

jkisha wrote:Hey there, welcome to eplaya.

I need to get my dad's particulars but that sounds awfully dang familiar.
I know he was 101st airborne. 68-69 is about right as far as the age i remember being when he came home. He did two tours and I have whole sections of my young life blocked out so....
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby trymecad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi jkisha,
I guess all the parachute training @ Bragg, didn't help in VN 68/69
one good thing you didn't worry about landing on a church steeple either! I was station at a fire support Omha a few clicks from that famous trail on the Cambodia safe zone, HA! We where close,
we seen it all and my turtle was late and had to stay a few days, for the convenience of the government. To be honest if I weren't a "chicken shit 11F40", I wouldn't be here now!
I still trying to figure the utilization of this site, so I couldn't bring your digitals up, for now. Hope to meet you at your CP, God willing! 
trymecad

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Trymecad, there is an ePlaya Meet n Greet every year at the Burn, usually on the Thursday at the event, early evening, at Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro. JKisha and a goodly portion of the rest of us will be there. There will be an announcement about it in June or July. If you don't see it, message one of us. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ygmir » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:05 pm

hey there Trymecad,
I'm in Grass Valley, and have friends down your way.
I was born here.......so, well, chuckling, "Nevada City, close to Penn Valley"?...........Bitney Springs road?............hhhmmmmm.........

No worries, just teasin ya.

Thanks for your service!

I have friends, current and retired from the USFS here, too.

Welcome, and jump on in.
Watch for the snark, though.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trymecad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:58 pm

tamarakay wrote:

I need to get my dad's particulars but that sounds awfully dang familiar.
I know he was 101st airborne. 68-69 is about right as far as the age i remember being when he came home. He did two tours and I have whole sections of my young life blocked out so....

Hi tamarakay,
I'm trying to keep in touch with all members who welcome me to the eplaya although I’ve never been, looking forward to the special occasion with gratitude.
As a career soldier I feel it will be in a happy environment for me, with special new openness friends, living as one.
From one VN Veteran to another tell your Dad, "welcome Home Brother" 4 me, Thanks
trymecad

Postby trymecad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:32 pm

ygmir wrote:hey there Trymecad,
I'm in Grass Valley, and have friends down your way.
I was born here.......so, well, chuckling, "Nevada City, close to Penn Valley"?...........Bitney Springs road?............hhhmmmmm.........

No worries, just teasin ya.

Thanks for your service!

I have friends, current and retired from the USFS here, too.

Welcome, and jump on in.
Watch for the snark, though.

Hi ygmir,
I was very surprised to hear from a local Nevada County additional member with my neighbor.
You are welcome to drop on by and meet, I have a great idea pos. pending for Nevada County CA., sister Art structure!
trymecad

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:16 am

I work in Auburn so we're practically neighbors.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:57 pm

I'm trying to break my long standing tradition of never having enough time to post welcomes - so welcome to eplaya.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby trymecad » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I work in Auburn so we're practically neighbors.

Hi Dr. Pyro.
Thanks for your time in making me feel welcome as a first timer and looking forward in meeting all. I'm so overwhelm with all these courtesy family members greeting toward others.
Meeting my short distance neighbor from New Castle, Auburn will be a pleasure; if you’re in the area you are always welcome.
trymecad

Postby trymecad » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Drawingablank wrote:I'm trying to break my long standing tradition of never having enough time to post welcomes - so welcome to eplaya.

Hi Drawingablank,
Well I get to write to someone from NY with great pleasure and honor, Thanks for climbing down that mountain just for little old me! Like I said many times this G.I. is very appreciative too be recognized as a family desert basin, "eplaya" unit.
I guess I'm a diehard brother CIB soldier first, as in B'klyn, "foist". Keep on making people happy in your trade, hope to meet you one day.
trymecad

Postby Kontradiction » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:56 am

Welcome! : )
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby graidawg » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:42 am

hiya trymecad, nice to meet you hopefully it will be for real in the desert.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby trymecad » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Kontradiction wrote:Welcome! : )

Hi Kontradiction,
Thanks for taking your time in the greeting it's appreciated.
Cute bubblegum logo, I'm still on the learning curve in posting
myself on this site! Hope to meet all at the desert basin someday!
Take care and happy chewing
trymecad

Postby trymecad » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:04 pm

graidawg wrote:hiya trymecad, nice to meet you hopefully it will be for real in the desert.

Hi graidawg,
You bring on the remembrance of the, "White Cliffs of Dover" seeing it from the ocean!
You're the first out of country meet and hopefully meeting you one day at the eplaya!
Three Cheers too Croydon, London beautiful Country..
trymecad

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:15 pm

It just dawned on me... Nevada City - when I lived in Folsom years ago, I remember going to go see the Adventures of Baron vonMunchousen in that old theater there! Is that place still standing and in use? I loved that old hall!
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby trymecad » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:44 pm

MOOP_Nazi wrote:It just dawned on me... Nevada City - when I lived in Folsom years ago, I remember going to go see the Adventures of Baron vonMunchousen in that old theater there! Is that place still standing and in use? I loved that old hall!

Hi MOOP_Nazi,
Yes the old theater is still operational and active on special occasional & old movies etc. Nevada City, 95959, is still an historical town, lights up like a Xmas tree during Christmas time. Thanks for checking in….
trymecad

Postby moonrise » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:07 pm

Welcome!

14 acres, sounds like a nice spread...and a handful to keep up with.

No greenbelt on the playa, flat and more flat, goes on for 400 miles!

When I used to believe in Santa I'd go to Nevada City for the "living Christmas" wonderful x mas shopping and the famous pasties, yummy.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Little late but welcome to the most friendliest circus in the world :)
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby trymecad » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:27 pm

moonrise wrote:Welcome!

14 acres, sounds like a nice spread...and a handful to keep up with.

No greenbelt on the playa, flat and more flat, goes on for 400 miles!

When I used to believe in Santa I'd go to Nevada City for the "living Christmas" wonderful x mas shopping and the famous pasties, yummy.

Hi moonrise,
It's nice to hear from close-ups’ members the more the merrier knowing someone who can Help in a sinkhole situation on first name basis is, Great! I just got approved for, Truckee User Group News Letters.
I Believe I know all too well about those NC pasties, chestnuts etc. Maybe as the local chain grows we can get all together someday-with some Pizza! I understand eplaya is o/a 9 miles wide, how do you find your bike after someone borrows it while you're on the potty! I have some tricks up my sleeve about weight a little engineering!
Thanks for recognizing the work involved on greenbelt Fire safety code.
I will always remember the 49 Fire going down my fence line! Thanks for the cordial shout.
trymecad

Postby trymecad » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:19 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Little late but welcome to the most friendliest circus in the world :)

Hi tattoogoddess,
Like they say it's better late than never, 4 those who don't appreciate a welcome mat notice don't belong in this world! I just love you're quote. " The greatest pleasure…………"
After reading some of the numinous FEEDBACK bylines I know what you mean about those words, friendliest circus!
But a challenge it's what is all about, profit by our mistakes.

Thanks for the shout.
trymecad

Postby moonrise » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Yea, I almost forgot the roasted chestnuts, the pasties are still my favorites.

Actually I'm a fire victim, due to an out-of-control, accidental, no-fault, wildland fire...my house caught on fire over 24 times, in 2007, the same year an attendee at burning man lit the "man" on fire, early! (he's since been convicted of arson and is in the 'gray bar hotel')

2007 was a firey year...Tahoe was ablaze, twice!! and so was the "man", twice!! (I didn't go to burning man in 2007, but I heard about the man burning 'early' due to arson, while dealing with my own fire disatser/mess) Thanks for putting out my house fire departments!!

If you wish to protect your bike, you MUST lock it up, especially while in the port a potties, BRC is a big, busy place and sorry to tell you this, but people must lock the damned bikes, or risk never seeing them again and being stuck on foot! (not good at your age I am guessing) Just put a lock&chain on it, so it's not useful/can't be accidentally borrowed or what have you. (there are zero trees to lock a bike to on the playa, just lock it and set it onto the playa, out of the way, until you need it again)

BRC/the 'playa' event space, is 2 miles across and I think 6 miles if you measure the surrounding road, then add probably another 100+ miles if one were to ride all of the roads...try as you might, you don't need to ride them all (5% would be enough, I think)...plenty to do and see within your neighborhood and on the main roads and out on the open playa. Be sure to ride, ride, ride your bike to get into good biking shape and break in your boots/footwear too...Have fun! :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!