Greetings from an insecure nerd

Greetings from an insecure nerd

Postby Beanz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:22 pm

I have a problem with rules...that is...I am compelled to follow them. When I was in school I always thought that I had to turn a paper in by the deadline...I was confused by people who turned things in late. Thank goodness for BM...take away (most of) the rules, and I'm FREE! Perhaps I'm not alone with this problem solved for at least one week a year. :wink:

What is written below is copied and pasted from a very recent reply I made to another greeting thread. (Is that legal?) JK informed me that I had to create my own post/thread to get a real eplaya greeting...so here I am...following the rules...again. Stop now if you already read my other post under something like "Tell me about yourself"...I don't want to bore you (again)!
***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello Everyone. I figured it was time I apply some good manners and properly introduce myself. I've been on eplaya for a while :oops: (though I changed my profile name recently), posting only on very rare occasions when I thought I'd burst if I didn't comment. I think I hadn't logged on for 6 months are so until just before this year's burn. My husband and I routinely attend BM every two years (My mate is a real introvert and doesn't do computers...but loves BM as much as me). This was our year off and I came down with a serious case of BMADD. Work has been slow (I work from a home office) and so was left with plenty of time to pine-away for our home in the desert...read about everyone's preparations, musings and misadventures...and started to get attached to this eplaya community.

Three people have given me the courage to step-up now and say "hello" ...1) Trilobyte who so sweetly fixed my profile name quickly and without question when I'm sure he was super busy getting ready to leave for home; 2) Savannah who obviously has a huge heart and I bet great hugs...her posts are always to warm and positive and 3) Jax Dee...if you don't know who I'm talking about, you might want to join the audience and tap into her ongoing BM 2011 saga being revealed to us all under "My Epic Journey Home" in Open Discussions.

I'm not witty or clever, nor am I particulary articulate with a big vocabulary (nor with advanced computer skills). I never thought I was creative until my first BM in 2002 gave me the courage to believe in myself. I am insecure in large crowds, especially those where witty reparte is zinging about. I've sat in the shadows of this eplaya community for all those reasons...this socializing on-line is all quite intimidating to me. But I'm taking a deep breath and exposing myself (though I'll save the visual for the real playa) because I've decided I'd like to get to know some of you and maybe see you at the M&G next year. I trust that you all will forgive my ackwardness as I tip toe my way in. Savannah, would you please hold me hand?

My mate (I'll call him Brown Rice to compliment my Beanz...together we are complete :roll: ) and I have been to BM a hald dozen times and the community is what we love best about it. Rice is quite the handy man and I sew, so we create ourselves quite a nice little living room-like camp each year that creates a warm inviting hang-out for neighbors. We occasionally corral a default friend or two to join us, but we haven't managed to turn any of our default friends into BM fanatics like us or any of our BM neighbors into lasting default friends. Perhaps that's part of the reason I'm reaching out here...to connect a bit more with some people that I could see again and again each year. I'm not a virgin, but I am sensitive, so please be gentle. I'm plunging in!

Now back to waiting for Jax's next installment!
Beanz

Burning Since: 2002

Re: Greetings from an insecure nerd

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:23 pm

SO. We meet again. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Welcome, and don't think of them as rules somuch as guidelines! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Beanz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks Figfam. Guidelines, rules, laws...makes no difference to me...I gotta follow them...can't help it.

This compusion of mine came in handy last year, during BM 2010. I did one shift as a greeter...signed up too late to do more. I love passing along to others information...and of course all the "rules". :lol:

If you came through the gate in the middle of the night, early Tuesday morning, you might have received a hug from me. I was wearing a huge floppy black and white striped hat and was overjoyed to see you. :)
Beanz

Postby Beanz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Oops! Sorry Figjam for slaughtering your name! Please forgive me! :oops:
Beanz

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:55 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya! :D
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby lucky420 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Hola and Hello...

p.s. i kinda liked the figfam :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Stick around much, and you'll learn to take JK with a grain of salt.. :wink:

Welcome!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:46 pm

A grain? Think she might need an entire box! :shock:

junglesmacks wrote:Stick around much, and you'll learn to take JK with a grain of salt.. :wink:

Welcome!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Sham » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Welcome Beanz. I'm sure you'll make yourself at home here and get over the intimidation very quickly. Eplaya is a nice place to get a small daily dose of playa blow into your face at full force.
Kick off your shoes and make yourself comfortable here.

....and again, WELCOME!
Sham

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Welcome to the boards! Glad to be able to help out. Aside from being a great resource for ideas/solutions on playa projects and prep, you'll find ePlaya's a wonderful community. :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby gaminwench » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi Beanz...
are you a virgo?

I read eplaya for a long time before posting;
I follow the rules,
and I'm not funny...

but I really enjoy it here...

Welcome!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 pm

gaminwench wrote:Hi Beanz...
are you a virgo?

I read eplaya for a long time before posting;
I follow the rules,
and I'm not funny...

but I really enjoy it here...

Welcome!

I thought you were very funny.

Not like I'm a tough crowd. :D
Savannah

Postby gaminwench » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:01 pm

...maybe cuz I was out of my mind, that night??

what the h**l did I do???
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Whatever works! :lol:
Savannah

Postby Super Evil Brian » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:01 pm

Welcome!
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Cheyenne » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:29 am

Hello, Welcome... if you are a Nerd...

Join us at the Burning Nerds e-lists... there are regular contributions from a number of people who are academics and regular meet ups of nerds who are burners too

:)

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:26 am

gaminwench wrote:...maybe cuz I was out of my mind, that night??

what the h**l did I do???

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Beanz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:05 am

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and thoughtful suggestions (yeah...a bucket of salt may be order for dealing with you JK...good idea)! :D I'm feeling at home with you all already...but I would expect nothing else from beautiful burners.

There are so many clever peole and interesting threads here...if I ever lose my job, I can keep myself busy here all day. :wink: But then I wouldn't have the money for BM. :cry:

I look forward to our continued conversations over the next 11 months until we can meet in person at the 2012 M&G! :)
Beanz

Postby Sham » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:21 pm

By the way Beanz, I love the avitar photo of the lounging kitty! :D
Sham

Postby bubbavic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:39 pm

After this thread (and others) I'm going to make it a point to go to the 2012 M&G and give Beanz a Hug! (ok ok I'll hug you other people too!)
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby Beanz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:15 am

Ah! Thanks Bubbavic! It will be one big hug fest won't it :D I look forward to getting a squeeze from you at 2012's M&G.
Beanz

Postby lazerfox » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:22 am

Welcome Beanz.

Glad you made a post on here as well.

Another rule following nerd here raising her hand. I think we help to balance the awesome non-rule follower crowd and help to get them out of trouble in times of need :wink:
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby Super Evil Brian » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:38 am

Beanz wrote:Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and thoughtful suggestions (yeah...a bucket of salt may be order for dealing with you JK...good idea)! :D I'm feeling at home with you all already...but I would expect nothing else from beautiful burners.

There are so many clever peole and interesting threads here...if I ever lose my job, I can keep myself busy here all day. :wink: But then I wouldn't have the money for BM. :cry:

I look forward to our continued conversations over the next 11 months until we can meet in person at the 2012 M&G! :)

I was in this forum way much more when I had a job than now. I needed something to pass the time and I happened to learn a lot in the process.

Of course I forgot all about the meet and greet. Maybe in oh 12 I'll remember.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby graidawg » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:54 am

figfam = fuck i'm good, funny and modest.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:41 pm

lazerfox wrote:Another rule following nerd here raising her hand. I think we help to balance the awesome non-rule follower crowd and help to get them out of trouble in times of need :wink:

We should be so lucky. The "Safety Third" crowd has no intention of being interfered with.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lazerfox » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:44 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
lazerfox wrote:Another rule following nerd here raising her hand. I think we help to balance the awesome non-rule follower crowd and help to get them out of trouble in times of need :wink:

We should be so lucky. The "Safety Third" crowd has no intention of being interfered with.

I made all attempts to not run into those people so I guess I didn't count them as part of the crowd. They are more like small children running around getting ignored by the grownups until someone innocent is about to get hurt. If they want to hurt themselves or their own stuff then it's their own parents problem :wink:
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby Beanz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:09 am

lazerfox wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

I made all attempts to not run into those people so I guess I didn't count them as part of the crowd. They are more like small children running around getting ignored by the grownups until someone innocent is about to get hurt. If they want to hurt themselves or their own stuff then it's their own parents problem :wink:

Nicely put Lazerfox! Sometimes it's hard for me not to interfer, when it actually is real children with inattentive parents...but when it's adults, I just have to close my eyes or cover my ears.
Beanz

Postby hookahdude » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:17 am

Beanz wrote:Nicely put Lazerfox! Sometimes it's hard for me not to interfer, when it actually is real children with inattentive parents...but when it's adults, I just have to close my eyes or cover my ears.

See, me, I am the type who looks for a camcorder...
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby Beanz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:24 am

hookahdude wrote:
Beanz wrote:Nicely put Lazerfox! Sometimes it's hard for me not to interfer, when it actually is real children with inattentive parents...but when it's adults, I just have to close my eyes or cover my ears.

See, me, I am the type who looks for a camcorder...

I could use some of your attitude...I'll work on that. :wink:
Beanz

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!