Here goes nothing!

Here goes nothing!

Postby valentine » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:53 am

Well, Hello! My name is lexi.
I haven't attending, yet! I'm hoping to attend the 2012 burning man.

The past couple of months have been awful for me, and a couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon some images from burning man. Instantly I knew this is where I needed to go. This is MY MECCA. I've watched various documentaries, read the whole survival guide. I will spend the next 300 and some odd days preparing.
I'm a baby, 18 currently, 19 when the next burning man rolls around, so I'm a little terrified. :cry:

I've been to nothing even coming close to this, some electric festivals like DEMF, but never something quite like this.
What is there that I should really know? That the survival guides don't tell me?

I'm so excited for what this next year will hold for me. I know I will never be the same after, and I could not be more excited.
valentine

Re: Here goes nothing!

Postby The CO » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Welcome to Eplaya! This board is a fantastic resource. Don't mind us grumpy old timers.

Read the sticky threads in each forum-they will answer a lot of your questions.

Good for you that you are getting ready now. Those that plan, burn. Remember that it all starts with buying your ticket.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Savannah » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Hey Valentine! It's totally okay to be scared. Being scared runs parallel to preparing for your first burn, but it needn't intersect.

You can be scared and still be prepared to the teeth. :)

Stuff the guides may not emphasize: Let go of your expectations towards the Burn. Do not expect the event to change your life. It might. But it might not. Know that you can have any kind of time out there--anywhere from "I hate this" to "this is pretty great" to "This is the best thing I have ever done." Not knowing is part of the excitement.

At night, clean your feet with lemon juice and baby wipes (refill size bag! make sure it shuts fully) and then lotion them up. Squip! Bring two pairs of socks per day--if you have the space.

Medical care is free unless you're so sick you have to leave the playa. Yes, really! So if you're sick, don't put off treatment.

Drink V-8, juices, gatorade along with your copious water intake. Don't forget to eat. Get protein at every meal just in case your appetite tanks.

There, now. :) Welcome to ePlaya.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby valentine » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks so much. (:

I've been figuring out my cost/expenses. I've found a buddy to go down there with me. It's about a year away, but I'm getting ready.
I appreciate the kind words, I really do! I'm coming all the way from Michigan, so I'm trying to plan whether it would be easier to drive or fly.
Soo much to prepare! I'm grateful I have a year.
valentine

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Where you at V? Consider attending a regional burn in your area to get a better feel for what's up and to network with other freeks. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby hookahdude » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Also remember that there are others in this Michigan place! :P
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby jkisha » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:23 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Also remember that there are others in this Michigan place!

True! From the main Burning Man website, click "Regionals" in small print near the top, and then narrow in on your area using the map. Join any Michigan lists, and consider neighboring states. Knowing local Burners is immensely smart.
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Savannah wrote:
Also remember that there are others in this Michigan place!

True! From the main Burning Man website, click "Regionals" in small print near the top, and then narrow in on your area using the map. Join any Michigan lists, and consider neighboring states. Knowing local Burners is immensely smart.

Sputnik is in Detroit. So he might be able to comment in some sort of mittly* way...

*So, here I am, with two situations that are "mittly". If it's capitalized, then it's Apok.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby illy dilly » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:09 am

Well Lexi welcome to eplaya! No such thing as preparing to early!

The fear is normal! And I feel that the fear will make you prepare better, its good to be scared.
How much camping have you done in the past? If non at all, try to get out there at least once before this winter, then a couple more times in the spring.

I'm 23 working in an environment run by older men, so I hate when folks think I can't do something because I'm not old enough, but I still have a couple of questions for you. First, When I was 19 there was no way I could come up with the 1,000-2,000 needed to get a ticket, supplies, and transportation, what is your plan to finance the trip?
Second, you will not be of the legal drinking age, do you understand the trouble that people can get into if they serve alcohol to a minor?

Tickets go on sale in mid January. It is hella worth it to sit on the computer for 8 hours the day they go on sale and try and get a slightly cheaper ticket.
With your friend that you've found to go with you, don't be surprised if they take you on a roller coaster of "I will go, I can't go, I want to go, I am going, I can't afford to go, O wait I can afford to go, Oops no I can't" over the next 11 months. Don't be set back if they don't commit tell the last minute, and don't be surprised if your travel buddy changes every 5 weeks for the next 11 months. In the past, if everyone that said they were going in January went, the city would have a population well over 100,000. Flake outs are part of the experience.

Lexi, we look forward to seeing you in the desert! Stop by eplaya often for more tips, tricks, knowledge, and snark than you could ever imagine!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby valentine » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:16 am

what is your plan to finance the trip?

Working two jobs is helping! haha. I'm a music teacher, as well. So more like 2.5 if you add my lessons in there. It's going to be rough saving up, but I know it's worth it.
valentine

Postby A Jester » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:35 am

You are in a great position, because you'll be able to buy tickets as soon as they go on sale (or maybe shortly thereafter). As this year proved, it's no good to wait until the last minute to buy tickets.

Also, buying tickets makes you commit.

I'll repeat what others have said, find people in your area. Attend regional events. In person advice and camaraderie is invaluable.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby deutlich » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi Valentine!

I'm right there with ya... I've never been but this bug to go has bit me hard. I'm turning 30 in December and for as long as I've known that BM existed I've been intrigued but too scared to go. But I've made a firm decision in the last two weeks. I agree with the folks that mentioned planning this early will help significantly with costs.

Illy Dilly made some *really* good points about cost and friends who want to go. While I haven't been to BM, I used to follow a certain band around the country (and sometimes beyond) and that is just part of the process. With it being a whole year away, it's hard for a lot of people to commit even if they have the best of intentions now. I've firmly decided I'm going no matter who can come with me. There'll be plenty of folks to meet, that's for sure!

So, hi to everyone!! And who knows? Maybe I'll see you next year! I'm going to be attending a few of the regional burns and local burner events coming up so if anyone's near DC I may even run into you sooner!
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:20 pm

illy dilly wrote:Tickets go on sale in mid January. It is hella worth it to sit on the computer for 8 hours the day they go on sale and try and get a slightly cheaper ticket.

That's a huge time sink to save fifty bucks. But I have a steady paycheck, even though I'm not getting a raise for three years.
(*&(W^T#%@#!)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:51 pm

deutlich wrote:Illy Dilly made some *really* good points about cost and friends who want to go. While I haven't been to BM, I used to follow a certain band around the country (and sometimes beyond) and that is just part of the process. With it being a whole year away, it's hard for a lot of people to commit even if they have the best of intentions now.

This is essential--I'm glad it's on your mind already. Around May or June of every year, the tales of woe on ePlaya begin: people begin dropping out of RV reservations, rideshares, projects, etc . . . followed by the mad scramble by those left to handle the bills. So if you ever reserve something with someone else, have them chip in on the deposit, or no deal. Non-refundable . . . (though they could sell it to someone else, with reasonable approval of the remaining campers).
Savannah

Postby deutlich » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Savannah wrote:
This is essential--I'm glad it's on your mind already. Around May or June of every year, the tales of woe on ePlaya begin: people begin dropping out of RV reservations, rideshares, projects, etc . . . followed by the mad scramble by those left to handle the bills. So if you ever reserve something with someone else, have them chip in on the deposit, or no deal. Non-refundable . . . (though they could sell it to someone else, with reasonable approval of the remaining campers).

Oh, man.. I've been in situations like that with car rentals and hotel reservations, etc. Those were horrible enough on a tight budget. I can only imagine the drama involved with a $2,000 RV or an expensive project!
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Postby illy dilly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:56 am

Savannah wrote:
deutlich wrote:Illy Dilly made some *really* good points about cost and friends who want to go. While I haven't been to BM, I used to follow a certain band around the country (and sometimes beyond) and that is just part of the process. With it being a whole year away, it's hard for a lot of people to commit even if they have the best of intentions now.

You both make really good points regarding the money issues that arise when planning with other folks. I can't imagine how horrific it would be to be relying on people for there portion of a huge bill, then have people drop out at the last minute.

I'd imagine to not start making any 'group financial' plans until everyone has a ticket. We waited tell everyone had a ticket, and it still bit us in the ass this year.
I think I'll make that new rule for my own personal planning. "Don't count anyone in until they have their ticket, and even then be wary"
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby illy dilly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:58 am

valentine wrote:
what is your plan to finance the trip?

Working two jobs is helping! haha. I'm a music teacher, as well. So more like 2.5 if you add my lessons in there. It's going to be rough saving up, but I know it's worth it.

Hey Lexi, I hope I didn't come off a Debbi Downer. I was just throwing some of the major questions out there. My first year I was 21 when I went. And honestly, I still haven't gotten the credit card all they way paid off. Each August, it gets maxed out, then I spend 11 months chiseling away. It hasn't seen a balance below a few hundred dollars in 3 years, and its pretty much only used for Burning Man.
illy dilly

Return to Introduce Yourself!