Virgin Burner From Australia Needs Help!

Virgin Burner From Australia Needs Help!

Postby celebrius » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:36 pm

HI My name is Paul - IM 40 and from Sydney in Australia
Im flying to San Francisco on the 27th August and Im looking for people to to hook up with for Burning Man.
I was thinking of hiring a car or an RV and/or buying a tent - but Id really like to hook up with a group of interesting people who know a trick or two.
MY main concern about the event is the sun - I was born with a genetic condition that makes extensive sunlight exposure problematic - so I need shade and lots of it...
I dont want to sell my ticket and abandon my burning man plans because of too much sun - im sure there is a solution!
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance -
celebrius

Re: Virgin Burner From Australia Needs Help!

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:14 pm

Hey Paul! What are you doing, living in Oz? Come live in Western Washington and never see the sun again. :lol: (Kidding . . . but the whole U.S. has a heatwave except for us. I guess it was sunny today & yesterday though).

Have you read the Survival Guide yet? It's still 2010's (the new one might appear any day) but it's still likely to keep you alive, generally speaking:
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/

RVs are really hard to find this late in SF or Reno, but if you check other semi-nearby cities you might get lucky.

To find rideshares (some are offering RV spots), post here:
http://rideshare.burningman.com

To find a theme camp, look in the 2011 Theme Camps forum, click on their links to read about their goals and amenities (most of them provide shade) and write the ones that appeal a nice email indicating why you like their mission, how you can help, etc.
viewforum.php?f=188

If you're traveling from place to place in the city, you might like to carry a UV golf umbrella in addition to the right clothes, hat and sunscreen. If you feel yourself baking and are further from the camp than you mean to be, there are many, many shaded playa bars & theme camps to visit, not to mention Center Camp, & random invitations from nice people.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Hello and welcome to ePlaya! What took you so long?

No seriously, what took you so long? Are you up for some kind of award or cash prize for dangerous level of unpreparedness? No plans for shade or shelter a month before the event is cutting it a little close, considering that you have a problem with exposure to the sun. Sure, you can probably pick up a tent at any point at a sporting goods store, but that's probably not going to provide you with the kind of shade protection you'd need (let alone want). Unless you find an RV to rent or some RV campers to travel with, you should try to find a camp that has some kind of shade structure for campers to set up under. A good shade structure not only provides you with a larger area of shade (so you wouldn't be imprisoned in your tent during the day), but it keeps the tents underneath it from turning into an oven.

You've got your ticket, your passport, and your airfare sorted - those are important first steps, and hopefully you should be able to take care of everything else in the next few weeks.

Go check out the theme camp boards, as well as the ride share resources, in search of camps or RV's that may have vacancies. You can still find some stuff listed, but don't put that off! The location is remote - should you need anything more than basic first aid, you're more than a 2 hour drive to Reno. In dire emergencies they've flown patients out by helicopter, but hopefully that's something you'd never have to experience.

Another recommendation is clothing and dress - you probably already know to keep legs/arms covered and wear a hat, but check the Q&A boards for additional ideas. Long flowing robes (instead of basic pants/shirt) may help you keep cool as well as covered, and there are some awesome playawear ideas and projects floating around in there that may pique your curiosity. I think these boards are frequented by some of the very best people in the world for helping you to prepare for the journey. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Oh yeah, golf umbrellas are a great idea, Savannah!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby AKDMAN » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:01 pm

I love the sun, but by Friday I am always hiding under the golf umbrella, its a must have
The Spenard Bar 2.0
We did this shit already, but fuck it, lets do it again
AKDMAN

Postby Maddog Bodybag Stranger » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:09 pm

Travel around like the nomads of other deserts. flowing robes and the ilk(sp?) Cover yourself with loose fitting long sleeves and blue jeans and boots. Also a large scarf to use as maybe a turban. This helped my feel comfortable last year.
Maddog Bodybag Stranger

Postby illy dilly » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:13 am

Hey Paul welcome to eplaya!

Get your self a sombrero! But add some strings to tie around your chin/neck.
I lost a really nice gigantic straw sombrero. Was riding with some folks to get their MV to the DMV to get licensed. Their shifter from drive to neutral failed. So I had to hop off the MV, run, dive in the back head first, and hit the break with my hand. Was pretty awesome at the time, tell I realized I mooped my sombrero. It was gone at that point.
I like to think that someone founding it tumbling around in the wind out by the trash fence.

I think this was already mentioned but I'm gonna beat this horse to death.
How is it that gates open in 28 days, and you don't have a way to get to BRC yet?
You have a sun related medical condition, and are just now worrying about shade?
Sir, I hate to say this but... Ya done fucked up!

You need to make a point of knowing where the medical tents are, and I'd go ahead and camp near one. Also, get your self a medical alert bracelet.

If you are out during the day and are starting to feel like you're getting too much sun, don't be affraid to ask the closest camp, if you can sit in their shade for a while.
And if you're near 3:30 and G feel free to stop by the Gnome dome. We'll let you lay in our hammock and chill out for a while. I'll wait tell you're feeling better before I give you shit for not being prepared.
Avoid alcohol during the day, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Good luck!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Return to Introduce Yourself!