Burqueña Birgin

What will you wear in Black Rock City for 2011?

Costumes
19%
Regular Clothes
15%
Not-So-Regular Clothes
15%
Goggles and Dust Mask
25%
Body Paint
2%
Screw Body Paint!
No votes
Bathing Suit
6%
Drapery
6%
Animal Skins
2%
Other?!
10%

Total votes : 48

Burqueña Birgin

Postby MarlaBlack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am a life-long resident of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and a first-time burner. I have been fortunate enough to have a spot secured in the French Quarter with a friend, and I couldn't be happier to be near the center of the action. I am going to BRC this year in order to start anew and regain a sense of self after grief, and as a graduation gift to myself! I am enthralled to be participating in this incredible and mysterious event, and I feel that this year's theme, Rites of Passage, perfectly describes an experience in which I can find growth in a most positive way. I love learning, active and validating conversation, being outside, singing and strumming the guitar, wisdom, balance, and occasionally letting my freak-flag fly.
Aside from simply making connections, I was hoping to use the E-Playa to better understand this event. Might some of you be willing to share advice on making gifts and gathering costumes in preparation for The Burn?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

*Marla*
MarlaBlack

Re: Burqueña Birgin

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:01 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

Have questions? Read this first: http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/
Everybody on eplaya is always excited to help first timers; but in sympathy for some of us old timers, please get your required reading out of the way before posting. As hard as it is to rein in the the excitement and enthusiasm, and as unbelievable as it might seem, most of your questions have already been asked and answered, if you just take a moment to read.

Now, let the adventure begin!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:31 am

We can do polls with more than one option now?
Sweet!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:19 am

You can & should wear whatever you want. Hit up thrift stores, relatives' old unwanted vintage, theatrical costume shop sales, army surplus, love boutiques, dollar stores, etc. Fill in the holes with stuff you find at actual costume shops. :lol: Look at the 2011 Theme Camps on the main site and see what kinds of theme nights and events they're having, as you might enjoy having Just The Thing for some party . . .

Here are the arguable essentials:

Comfortable, broken-in shoes or boots
More socks and underwear than you technically need
Goggles (best: one pair dark for day, one pair clear for night. goggles designed for soldiers tend to be good).
Warm coat for night
Lightweight stuff for day (jeans are uncomfortable for some; Black Rock City is the most skirted city in the world)
A wide-brimmed Boonie hat or cowboy hat
Bandannas, pashminas, shemaghs or wide scarves to wrap the hair and the lower part of the face
Lights to wear on your body, front and back, so no one runs you over with an artcar (it's happened)

Make sure that trim is soundly attached, as you mustn't drop buttons, beads, jewels, or sequins (or similar), & don't bring feathers (except maribou, according to the main site). The rest is up to you. There are some obvious Burner clichés--though they are popular for a reason. Tutu Tuesday is a fun one.

There are a million threads about gifts. I still don't use the Search function on the site, so I typed only gifts eplaya into google & got a bunch of hits. Give it a shot. One of the principles of the event is radical self-reliance, so I'm going against my natural tendency to tell you everything I know. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby CreepingJenny » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:19 pm

Welcome to eplaya! Soon enough we'll be having hot, dusty fun! 8)
I love you like whoa!

~Creeping Jenny~
CreepingJenny

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Golden Cafe, Camp Red or Green

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:05 am

Yep,
Thrift stores!

Welcome to eplaya!

I really like that you started your thread with a pole, way to stand out and make your presence known!
A lot of folks find they bring way more clothes than they actually wear. You'll find that 1 pair of shorts you end up wearing all week! That surrong that finds its way into your wardrobe every day.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby MarlaBlack » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks much for your responses, esp. Savannah and illy dilly. I'll take all that into consideration. I'm not much of a costume-wearer, so nice to know that many participants simply wear normal-ish clothing for a good portion of the time.

*Marla*
MarlaBlack

Postby illy dilly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Yeah, I typically go for 'normallish' but kinda funky or colorful during the day. Often very light and 'breezy'
Then We try to get decked out at night.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby gravit8 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm

If anyone on this thread is still active, we've set up a group over on FB )'( New Mexico Burners )'( to help co-ordinate our efforts to build an effigy for 2012. We're looking to collect and focus the scattered burners here in the state and this was one of few threads I could find with NM residents. Get a hold of me or head on over to FB. we'd love to get everyone involved!
gravit8

Return to Introduce Yourself!