Newbie Hoser needs a posse!

Newbie Hoser needs a posse!

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Hey guys, my name's Steve. Twenty-eight year old unemployed university grad etc etc. Never been to Burning Man before. Hell, never even been to a desert! I'm pretty determined to go this year, but I haven't actually taken the plunge and bought my plane and Playa tickets yet. Before I do that I wanna see if I can arrange a ride to and from Reno (or Southern Ontario) ahead of time, and if I can get myself in with a camp for company and to learn the ropes. It would suck to travel all that way and end up stuck in Reno or alone at BRC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've done a lot of reading and get the whole Burning Man = participation thing, so if you have room for a total noob then I will contribute (somehow).
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Postby jkisha » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks. =)
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Postby Boijoy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:47 pm

welcome to e=playa. procrastinate much?? :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Nasty habit. Hence my signature. =p
Schtev

Postby Rice » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:09 pm

steve.t.sullivan wrote:Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Nasty habit. Hence my signature. =p

Welcome to the eplaya Steve!!!

Sounds like you need a plan... I'm from Saskatchewan, but I know there are lots of burners in Ontario. It would be a good idea to try and get in touch with the regional rep closest to where you live.

Ontario Regional Contacts:

Ontario: http://regionals.burningman.com/ca_ont_ott.html

Toronto: http://regionals.burningman.com/ca_ont_tor.html

Burning Man starts on August 30th, (thats about 11 sleeps) so ... Well, get on that interWEB and make some contacts!!

maybe we'll see ya on the playa.

Rice
Rice

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Ah, I didn't think to contact the Ontario regional rep. Thanks a lot. =)
Schtev

Postby Rice » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:34 pm

steve.t.sullivan wrote:Ah, I didn't think to contact the Ontario regional rep. Thanks a lot. =)

Your welcome!! There is probably a few Facebook pages as well, but I haven't looked ;)

Failing anything, you can get in touch with the Alberta group: who are camping at "Kanuckistan Embassy" http://kanuckistan.ca/embassy/

Don't forget to read over the survival guide a bunch of times: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html & the first timers guide: http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/

Rice
Rice

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I've got the whole not dying thing worked out more or less. Its just the social stuff I'm trying to work out.
Schtev

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Don't worry so much about the social stuff, at least on playa. It will happen. Lots of people camp alone & are never lonely. As long as you're friendly (but not creepy) you'll find people. BRC is probably the friendliest city in the US. since almost everyone is on vacation.

If you fly into Reno, there is a ride-share booth for the event set up near the baggage area. You won't be the only one looking for (and getting) a ride there.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Ooo! I didn't know about the booth! How does that work? Like people group together and split on a rental car? Or people with cars offer a ride and you split on gas?
Schtev

Postby hollywallydoodle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Eric wrote:friendly (but not creepy)

*nods head*
hollywallydoodle

Return to Introduce Yourself!