time to stop wishing and start doing.

time to stop wishing and start doing.

Postby robrob » Thu May 06, 2010 3:56 pm

Hey guys- another first timer here. I've wanted to go to burning man since I went to college (Antioch in 96). My interest got rekindled again a few years ago when I was staying in Minneapolis and I met a bunch of the Black Label Bike Club folks that always go every year. But I always had an excuse.

Not this year. I'll get myself from Chicago to Burning Man, even if it means getting my drivers's license, lol (i'm 32 and have made it this long without one).

Started taking photos at the Field Museum last weekend for mask/costume ideas and everything.
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm / endor

Postby MisaBlue » Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 am

Hey Robrob! Welcome and good luck with getting to playa/getting the licence :)

MisaBlue

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 07, 2010 10:58 am

Toonces!

Wait, Toonces was a cat...

Mom?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby GutteralRetch » Fri May 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Welcome, welcome!!!
Dr. Gutteral / Mr. Retch
GutteralRetch

Postby robrob » Fri May 07, 2010 2:54 pm

[quote]Terminal City BM 08: http://www.apokiliptika.com/terminal_city_page.htm[/quote]

in my digging around, i stumbled across the zsu zsu project. lots of the art from prior years looks cool, but that project in particular stood out as being particularly awesome!
robrob

Postby Elderberry » Fri May 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby robrob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:56 pm

ticket in hand, and flight to reno booked.

hurry up, july and august..
robrob

Postby Jackass » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Welcome, no need to rush there's too much junk to round up between now and then. A license isn't necessarily a bad thing. Learning to drive going cross country might be. :shock:
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:13 pm

I actually got my license this year for the same reason. :) Only the Burn was motivation enough.

Now, to see if I'll actually end up using it. (God, I hope not).
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby robrob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:04 am

god, i was so fresh and dewey eyed 4 months ago....

anyhow, never got around to getting my license, but i did meet a bunch of chicago burners, and found some good local resources.

Good for you for getting yours Savanah! I still think the burn will be what pushes me to get one. After seeing how cheap used trailers can be on ebay, visions of air conditioned hexayurts started dancing through my head...
robrob

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:08 am

After seeing how cheap used trailers can be on ebay, visions of air conditioned hexayurts started dancing through my head...

Haha! And thanks. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby CLARKcon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:34 pm

Welcome robrob :) ! It sounds like your will is high, indeed...now all ya got to do is come up to the plateau and begin to l i v e again (1 week of desert= 1,001 moments of internalized freedom, waves of feelings, & deeper understanding :wink: see ya in the alkali!!!
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby AntiM » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:34 pm

I don't have a license. Nearly got one in Japan (on base) so I could ride my Harley, but Larry's ride was killed by a taxi running a red light in Yokohama and he ended up using my FXR as a commuter. Never have driven in the states except during driver's ed, which I nearly failed.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: time to stop wishing and start doing.

Postby robrob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:30 pm

dang, what a difference 16 months makes...

my virgin burn in 2010 was transformative, to say the least. starting with that decomp I got active in my city. This past spring I started a sweet theme camp for our regional, and the second voyage to black rock city was better prepared. less waste, more big shade, a sweeter bike. Became a Black Rock Ranger.

and, to bring it full circle, I *did* get inspired by my regional events to get my license, and today bought my very first car, a used subaru outback :D

crazy, the things a week in the desert will do for the soul.
robrob

Postby hookahdude » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Gratz!!!
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Woot Woot!! Way to go! I still have to get mine ( Unpaid fines are a bitch when they go to collections! Yep I was a dumb kid out of highschool) I have about $975 left to pay out of the original $3780. No way will I get it before burn. All the extra funds are going to a ticket and gas money for whoever I ride with.
Ps Nice to see another midwest person here. If you drive out this year.... feel free to pick me up on the way! lol.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:15 pm

robrob wrote:and, to bring it full circle, I *did* get inspired by my regional events to get my license, and today bought my very first car, a used subaru outback :D

crazy, the things a week in the desert will do for the soul.

Don't mean to pry, but I guess I'm doing it anyway. You don't look like a spring chicken, I'm a little surprised that you didn't have a license previous. (I didn't get mine until I was almost 30, and I'm older than you, in any case, so it really is just my nosiness, and not any sort of implied insult.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby robrob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:52 pm

pry away! I'm 33. between growing up broke and moving on to college towns/big fancy cities, i either made do without or simply didn't need one.

And after a while of that, it's not a big thing to be a non-driver... Until you want to get out of the city with your dog, or gather awkward-sized materials to make art, or not have to camp with fucktards* because you're incapable of driving the rental car, etc... I blame the desire to be radically self reliant :D

i walk to work, and live near grocery stores, etc. so I don't really plan on being a daily driver, for what that's worth. Also, filling up the tank for the first time since i pumped gas for my mom when i was 12- it was practically comical seeing how quickly those numbers shoot by on the pump. i reckon that will soon grow to be less amusing.

(* that was a hyperbolic example, and my campmates are for the most part awesome and not infact fucktards)
Last edited by robrob on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robrob

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:55 pm

It is so nice to be driving again after 3 years without. 4 years, actually.
And yes, expense, etc, etc. But not having to convince someone to take me someplace I want to go: nice.
(If only I could figure out the cargo room thing...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Congratulations on all fronts!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby hookahdude » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:49 pm

See, as a native to California, there are times I am envious of people who had no need for a DL. Once you have one, your whole life becomes an extension of it - or so it seems. You extend yourself BECAUSE you have a car.

I would love to be able to walk to work, or to the market. I live in a rural area and my job is 51 miles each way. To be able to not worry about gas or insurance and really NOT worry about it would be amazing. I am sure I may be romanticizing it - but it sounds great to me. :P
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby Milayna » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:08 am

I totally feel you Hookahdude. I recently moved back to Los Angeles after a long time in NYC where I didn't need a car. It was soooo nice not having to worry about gas money or insurance (New Yorkers complain a lot about cabs, and yes, they ARE expensive, but still my monthly cab bill never came CLOSE to my monthly gas, insurance, car payment!). Anyway, it's been a slap in the face to readjust to car culture! :shock: :shock:

With that said, having a car does make the trip to the desert a whole lot easier! Oh and yay for the Subaru Outback, I love those cars!
Milayna

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:58 am

I am lucky enough to live in the "Central Bay Area" where we have fairly decent public transit. And I'm a couple of blocks from a Safeway. But sometimes a girl just wants to disgust herself by going to a big box store. Besides, we lost our hardware store a couple of years ago. What a fucking pain in the ass...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby deutlich » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:13 am

tattoogoddess wrote:W ( Unpaid fines are a bitch when they go to collections! Yep I was a dumb kid out of highschool) I have about $975 left to pay out of the original $3780. No way will I get it before burn.

Holy smokes that's a crap ton of fines! You should be really proud of yourself for knocking it down to $975!! Seriously!
deutlich

Burning Since: 2011

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:36 am

Oh I am trust me!! Hell if I would have gotten a DUI/OWI it would have been cheaper!!!
1 Speeding Ticket
1 Failing to stop at a yellow ( YES! That is illegal in Oregon! You have to stop at a yellow. Make 2 fucking reds then!)
2 no license
2 no insurance

I now ride a beach cruiser and get rides from my mom haha. Oh well I WILL have one by the 2013 burning man!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:23 pm

I lost my license once, for like 3 months, when I was like 19 or 20.
Sense then this idea of living with out a license sounds impossible.
I don't think I could work my job with out a license. Just today, I've spent a couple hours in the car driving from one job site to the next back to the office.

Though, Denver is spread out. Our 'cluster fuck' down town area is small compared to a lot of cities, even most of our 'down town' is spread out. We have... or I should say HAD a lot of space to spread out, so the city and metro area were built around that idea.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Return to Introduce Yourself!