Burning Man calling...

Burning Man calling...

Postby Frarex » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Hello fellow burners!

Originally Italian, I live in London (UK) from quite a few years.

I heard many things about the BM and this year I decided to experience the community. Therefore... got my ticket, booked my flight and now, I am trying to sort out RV (if not, I will be camping) and other "details" of my three weeks trip to the US.

Beside the Burning Man I am planning to do a loop of 2000 Miles from LA, to San Francisco, BRC, Las Vegas and back to LA. A bit ambitious maybe considering that I'll spend a week at the burn but I'll see what I can do (here in Europe I managed to do over 1000 Miles in one and a half day on my motorbike a few times).

I though that joining ePlaya could be a good way to start to know the community, get useful tips for my stay in BRC and maybe get in touch with people I might meet along my trip.

Keep the flame alive, :wink:

Francesco
Frarex

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:30 pm

Fuck RVs... Big, loud, annoying, expensive, obnoxious things. If I wanted my Direct TV and air conditioned apartment Id stay home. I would recommend you camp, especially the first time. Get a real sense of what it is. Though I do understand when your flying in from another continent, you may not have all the necessary gear to be able to camp. But if possible I would camp. Your meeting up with people I assume? Or going it alone? Good luck either way. See ya out there... ;-)
-AJ )'(
Absolut Jeenyus

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Welcome.

Can you get strega over ice cream in london?
gyre

Postby Frarex » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:43 am

AJ,

I know, camping would probably be more in the spirit of BM, however, as you say, I would need to pack much more stuff when I leave home and carry it with me during my trip. Renting a RV would probably make things easier.

Although I spoke with a few friends and 2/3 of them seem to be interested (the others, or do not have the money or do not have the hols), therefore I am currently planning the trip on my own. However over the weekend I am going to meet other London burners and we might plan part of the trip together.

gyre... strega on ice cream... I have never tried it. In Italy (at least where I come from) it is more common Maraschino on ice cream... and btw... no, I've never seen Strega here in London but I am sure that you can find it somewhere if you really want to.

I started to read a bit about theme camps... some people say that on the first few years of attending BM it is better to have a wander and not join any particular one; some others say that it is better to join one.

What would you reccomend? What are the advantages of joining a camp?

Ok, the disadvantages are probably that one got to do some work...
Frarex

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:45 am

Some theme camps provide meals and showers and communal shade. This can be appealing.

Another choice is to join a camp made up of many solo campers, there are several of them forming each year. You have to hunt the forums and tribe.net a bit, but you can find them. May or may not have luxuries such as meals and showers.

Villages are also an option, individual campers in a group setting. I'm in Hushville, which has nothing like a kitchen or showers, but you know you have neighbors at hand if you require help or company.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby SilverOrange » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:46 am

Welcome to the eplaya! Joining a theme camp will probably help you lighten your load as there tends to be infrastructure already in place. This also means that you will probably be expected to pay dues and work for the theme camp. Not joining a theme camp means having to be absolutely self sufficient, but means that you can wander the playa discovering all of the amazing things that you've probably never seen before. In a theme camp you're only going to meet the segment of the population that the camp holds a draw for, and there really is a wide variety of people out there. Also, it is impossible to see everything out there, but you'll probably going to end up wanting to try. Working shifts at a camp is going to cut into that. If you haven't met the people that are involved with the camp, there's really no way of knowing whether your personalities will mesh, which means a leap of faith on your part. If you go on your own, you can find a theme camp that you want to be a part of, get to know the people, and then if all is good see if you could play a role in the future. Hope this helps.
SilverOrange

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 am

Camps vary from no work to lots of work, dues to no dues to a LOT of money.

Rule of thumb is that the more elaborate the shower, the longer it takes to get it to work, as in may be thursday, may be never.

RVs don't solve all issues all by themselves though.

It's a matter of taste, but try strega over vanilla ice cream with espresso on the side.
gyre

Postby Frarex » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Thank you for the info, I started to read about theme camps and, gosh!, there are tons! It will take ages to read them all.

It looks like some of them provide services to the community as a whole, not only to the people in the camp (drinks, food, massage, partying, showers, etc, etc). Is this correct?

Are there things more appreciated than others and that generally people like to receive in exchange?

My idea was to collect a number of things during the first week of my trip and maybe get a bit more food to give to other burners, would that work?
Frarex

Postby gaminwench » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:21 pm

Themecamps offer (ideally) 24/7 interaction with the community...although some are 'daytime activity' or 'nighttime activity' oriented...this requires round the clock monitoring, interaction, mooping, etc. on the part of the residents of the camps - not to mention pre-playa planning and expenses for structures, on-playa erections and post-event strike and LNT practices. Most Themecamps require on-playa work time and dues to cover camp expenses.

Communal camps/villages ie:Hushville, Stag camp, etc. are groups camping together to pool/share resources with each other, and are not likely to require time or dues to participate.

Most folks camp individually/with their friends and enjoy and participate without 'large camp' responsibilities - self-reliance is key!

In our gift economy, all things are gifts - smiles, helping hands, songs, whatever...there is no expected or required 'exchange'.
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby fabigothangel » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Ciao Francesco,
tutti parlano, parlano ma nessuno trova una soluzione per te.
Noi siamo in 4 in un RV da 6. Io sono di Milano ma vivo a Los Angeles.
Stiamo cercando un camp anche noi particolarmente, per le docce.
Non usiamo le docce o il bagno nell'RV per ovvie ragioni di scarico.
Partiamo da LA il 30 Ago. e usciamo dalla playa l'8 di Sett.
Se vuoi ti puoi aggregare perche' so che e' importante avere accanto qualcuno su cui contare, specialmente se vieni da un'altro continente.
La mia email e' d e l l o r o at e a r t h l i n k dot n e t .
L'at e' la chiocciola ed e' tutto senza spazi.
Fammi sapere, sei in buone mani.
Ciao for now.
Fabi
live free and thrive
fabigothangel

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Earth Guardians

Postby Frarex » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:26 am

Thank you all for the info.

Fabi, I dropped you an e-mail.

Cheers,

Francesco