BM via Africa & Australia > Seeking Camp to Contribut

BM via Africa & Australia > Seeking Camp to Contribut

Postby trashtrampoline » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 am

Hi all

Thirty something (er still definitely feel 20something) African/Australian guy coming to BM for the first time.

WOO HOO!

I have been to a festival in AU that is AWESOME called "confest" which is also based on self reliance, community, and contribution. This festival has been going for over 30 years and I invite all of you to come to the festival over Easter or New Years.

Anyway myself and a friend are coming along, and trying to piece together the puzzle. I have been through a list of the camps but it is quite daunting! Have mailed a few.

We would love to contribute to a peaceful, um "entry level friendly" camp that can potentially provide a shower/meal per day in return for our contributions of heart and $.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Also looking at connecting with people in SF going to BM to commute together etc :)

Kev :) Sydney Australia
trashtrampoline

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:05 pm

All water must be taken to the playa, from Reno (2+ hour drive away) at the closest and then trucked out again, or evaporated away; so a daily shower might be out of the question. Also, it is getting late in the year for finding a camp, although some of the more informal ones might still be open. You can always camp by yourselves and bring baby wipes and trail food, and you'll get by.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Token » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:59 pm

Welcome!

Do post some more information.

When do you arrive and where?
When do you leave and from which airport?
What crafts do you know? Carpentry, elctrics, electronics, welding, sewing, etc.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby trashtrampoline » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:07 am

Hi All

Thanks for the responses.

I will be flying into SF around 25 and plan to drive from sf to the site on 30/31.

At this stage it seems like there will be 2 of us.

Sadly being an "overeducated" city boy my craft skills are pretty bloody useless. Not sure if it is worth anything but I have pretty good "soft skills" - communication, planning, running meetings, sharing circles and the like.

K :)
trashtrampoline

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:30 am

Bring your tribal sensibilities and enlighten the unwashed civilized masses.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby The Drifter » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:19 pm

We sure could use a couple more camp mates:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=29377

The first year it can be quite hard to find the way you want to express yourself. Sometimes it's just a matter of going and "being" Burning Man.
The Drifter

Postby MissVee » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi Kev,

I too am an Aussie (from Melbourne... please don't hold that against me) traveling to BM for the first time~!!!

I have been backpacking for the past three months and will be heading to Nevada after I finish at the Summer Camp I'm currently working at.

I'm traveling solo so I too am trying to work out transport from the airport... a camp to call home... and all that fun stuff. How are your plans going?

Hugs, Vee
** i'm just a speck inside a giant eye **
MissVee

Return to Introduce Yourself!