So I get to Reno....then what?

So I get to Reno....then what?

Postby Absolutelynewburner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:43 pm

Some close friends and I are in the midst/finale of prepping for this year, which happens to start on my birthday. Coming from the east coast, shall we rent a car and drive the distance(my vote since I love seeing what is in between), or fly and rent an RV in Vegas,Reno, SF, than drive out? My buddies are a bit squeamish about this whole thing so I am thinking I may end up backpacking it on my own, train/hitching. can anyone help me out with a ride from Reno? Where is best to meet up? I am new to this forum and have never been to a burn. If you have advice I'm all ears, cause I want to make this happen!
"Coals under foot burst into flames
Become the earth's ashes
Remain
Awaiting sand
A burning man
Approach the door where I place blame
Take the first step
Cleansing my shame
Awaiting sand
A burning man"
Absolutelynewburner

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:00 am

from DC you're cheapest bet is to fly to vegas, get a rental car there, get your supplies except for ice there. The rental cars are HALF the price as in reno, and ALL of the RV's in reno are gone by now if you're looking to rent..

my suggestion, get the biggest SUV they'll rent you and sleep in that if necessary or a tent, and badger them for a discount, the rental car companies in vegas almost GIVE them away...

drive thru the mohave desert to mono lake california, then ride the ridge to tahoe, and then down to reno....it's kinda long, out of the way, but spectacular scenery, and it adds 4 hours to your drive from vegas to reno, well worth it.

the flights/ car combos to vegas can be super reasonable if you book now.

flying into reno may be more convenient but it'll cost you. And if you've never traveled the great SW, this would be a good time to see some of it close up.

word to the wise, while in the mohave, do NOT run out of gas or water and dont wander into the scrub to take a pee.

the rattlers have a taste for tourist penis.
I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Listen to me

Postby sbot » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Other advice is fucked.

And your friends can fuck off.

If they're not coming then they're not coming.
This thing is not for squeamish people. Anyone coming doesn't need to be convinced.... they KNOW what the fuck is up.
:twisted:

Anyway... you will backpack in... fly to reno. (you can ship a cooler on the plane too!) from there you will more than likely meet someone on the plane just like you, or at the airport. there are 100s of people at the airport needing to split a car rental.

split a car rental and stop by whole foods and get food & walmart to get a tarp to cover your tent and a chair.... hopefully you will have someone to camp with... and usually the people you meet at the airport will offer you shelter. if not tell them to go home. u can always rent a car at the airport yourself and offer someone else a ride in.

i've done this 4 times and always met great people to share the ride.

from there... on your way home you can just get a ride out. there is even a bus to reno from the burn called the bio bus. just plan a way to haul shit out. try not packing much shit in.

you'll have a great time.
sbot

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:47 pm

Too late to rent an RV, so rent a Uhaul, stop at goodwill and get a hundred in furniture.

give it back to goodwill when your done, hose out uhaul and return.

Also - when you get to reno, get to the main drag and get an Awful Awful - youll see.

:P

And by "Uhaul" I meant Penske - Uhaul blows
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby SilverOrange » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:02 am

If you can afford it and have the time, my vote is cross country road trip. I've traveled cross country this way many times and have always had an amazing time doing it. I don't think I've ever done it without experiencing some kind of strange wierdness that makes the whole trip worthwhile and in my opinion there's no better way to see the country. Stay off of the interstates to make the trip much more of an adventure.

While I've done my share to hitching and train jumping I wouldn't recommend it. There's only a few places left in the country that are still hitch friendly and it can be a very unpleasant experience. Train jumping is fun, but you really have to know what you're doing to be sure you're going to get where you want to go. You don't want to end up in Pasadena. Plus the bulls can kick your ass at their leisure if and when they catch you.
SilverOrange

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:25 am

MyLarry used to shuttle rail crews out here, in the godforsaken backcountry. The trains shut down for 12 hours or more at times out in the desert, seemingly at random. He's given food and water to hapless stranded train jumpers more than once. The guy who was raped and beaten in the back pusher diesel sticks in my head for some reason.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sail Man » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:24 am

ANB, welcome to eplaya. Please tell us that you have read the survival guide a bajillion times.

The suggestion to rent a suv and trailer is a good one. The camper rentals are getting harder to come by, plus they can cost a boat-load of money, especially if you return it all dusty and all.

You don't want to backpack into BRC unless you have joined a camp that is supplying infrastructure. You won't be able to carry everything that you need going solo. This isn't the AT.

Simons advice is good, another option is flying into Salt Lake City.

If your friends are getting squeamish now, imagine what they will be like when they get to the playa, squeamish on steroids. You may end up dis-friendling them, do you want that on your conscious? :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Utah does have a large number of burners, seek them out at elemet11.org if you're considering the Salt Lake route.

Just don't buy your beer here.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby flatlander13 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:37 pm

Yo new guy......welcome.....now fuck off.........don't you love playa humor.
OK M.....I'll be nice......

If you can afford the rental and drive from the east coast, do it. That sounds like an adventure…….If you have squeamish friends…..that’s why they invented duct tape……also known as “Daddies Little Babysitter.â€
flatlander13

Return to Introduce Yourself!