I am new & I am green

I am new & I am green

Postby Mad Mikey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:01 pm

Hello, good folks. First let me say, the TOS here is as long as Yahoos. I'm not sure if that is good or bad or neither. I am a total virgin here, but I have been aware of BM for at least 5 years and am more than amazed and enlightened by it. We share many, if not most, of the same values (family values?) and ideals. I would love to be an active member of the community. My problem is I so do not have my shit together and it is unlikely I would be a productive member at this time. However, I am happy to toss my 2-cents in the ring, and I am glad to finally open this account to do so.
Maybe you see the red balloon, but all I see is the coming monsoon.
Mad Mikey

Postby Bambi of Finland » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:18 pm

Welcome Mikey! Its all fun and games here until someone gets hurt, then we poke some more. Jump in and have fun.
Lost in the Forest
Bambi of Finland

Postby TomServo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:45 am

Are all types @ B.M. : Pervs, sickos, wierdos, fucking hippies, fucking CEO's, old , young, gay, straight, satanist (i guess..they still around?) agnostic, atheist, christian, muslim, jewish, pagan, punk, weekend warriors, local native americans, out of town native americans, japanese, australian, israeli, german, french, kiwi, british, polish, russian, chinese, celebrity, larry harveys, shit..what did I forget?

Have a great burn, keep an open mind, "values" are relative to where you are @ Burning Man. Try and accept everyone, but if you need to be among people of your own leaning, Im sure you'll find them. It's everyone's playground. Have a great time!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Thanks

Postby Mad Mikey » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:40 am

Hello, gentlemen. Thanks for the welcome. Should I wipe my feet on the mat? Or should I just walk right in with both eyes closed and let my gut hang out? Either way, I'm glad to be here...finally. Thanks again. Peace. Mikey
Mad Mikey

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:45 am

Green is so last year.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Re: I am new & I am green

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:55 am

Mad Mikey wrote:I have been aware of BM for at least 5 years and am more than amazed and enlightened by it. We share many, if not most, of the same values (family values?) and ideals. I would love to be an active member of the community. My problem is I so do not have my shit together and it is unlikely I would be a productive member at this time.

There are plenty of people... even three DJs, or itzbeyon1zIz... who are veteran burners who could learn from this newbie!
Mikey said he didn't have his shit together yet so he hasn't been there yet... he didn't come on here expecting a handout! No sob story about how he needs free tickets and will play his iPod for us if we'll put him up in a camp that someone else does all the work to create...

This will be a fine burner!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Mad Mikey » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:39 pm

Hey, Captain, you are right about me in that way. I have this great respect for the foundations of B.M. and would never expect or even want hand outs to further my own needs/wants. Even if I could get to BRC this year I would not be ready to participate as I wish to. I do not want to go just for the sake of doing so and stand around with my finger in my nose. I want to make a statement and make it right. Not this year, I'm afraid. Once again I will enjoy viewing some of the fine images you folks post, and marvel at the excellent artwork and the awesome people who do attend. I am already profoundly moved by B.M. and believe once I do make it there it will be life changing/affirming and will probably get my butt in gear in constructive ways.

As I write, WNBR Seattle is in full swing. I wonder how many of you are participating today? That is another action I will participate in eventually.

Peace, everybody. Let's make some real changes in this world hungry for change. Let's show it really can be done. That hope is not just an empty word. Mikey
Mad Mikey

Welcome..

Postby celahve » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:13 pm

that's the bitchen thing about BM, everyong is welcome!!! I am 40 years old and have been attending BM for over 7 years ALONE :) It is the one selfish indulgence I allow myself all year. I always feel right at home :) Maybe we will run into each other...

Celahve
Live your life, make no apologies, there are no do-overs!!!
celahve

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:08 pm

You're only over the ridge in california.
Come out and play.
If you can stop your eyes spinning counterclockwise your first year, I bet you can find something to help with.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby TomServo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:14 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't want to go my first year with a plan. If you're not sure HOW to participate, you'll soon learn on the playa. If you don't make it this year, maybe next! Sounds like you're an open person...think you'll feel right at home when you do make it out.

and..the ART out their, isn't just the enormous or dazzling sculptures.

TomServo

Huh?

Postby Mad Mikey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:02 am

It all sounds very sweet & innocent. I think a conspiracy is going on here. Maybe I'm just stoned. I picture making all these plans and gathering the truckload of essentials and heading northeast to the site only to find the place empty save for a big "Gotcha" sign. Well, the joke would be on you, cuz then I would have the place to myself to get naked and yell at the top of my lungs and act crazier than shit. Just me and my camcorder to document my week of solitude in the baron desert. :-)

Secondly, I am a very open person. I'm too open. I know, I know, it is not important to have a master plan b4 going the first time. That would be asking a lot. Spontaneity has to be a part of an event like this also. What if I have a horrible sunburn already and have to wear one of those female arab things head to toe? That won't be any fun, and I do not wanna go if I can't have fun. Gays just wanna have fun!

Thirdly, while I am awed by most of these immense structures erected for the burn I am also inspired by and have appreciation for the smaller works of art I have seen posted. I may have seen some in SF also. Is the giant metal spider on the Embarcadero from B.M by any chance? I am glad to know not all the works are only displayed at B.M. I particularly like the interactive works I have seen. And the temples, so awe-inspiring.

Sixthly (I don't know how to count), it is not so much I fear not knowing what I will do once I get there that is the problem for this year. Things have a way of falling in place. It is what I alluded to at first -I DO NOT HAVE MY SHIT TOGETHER AT THIS TIME. I couldn't even get to Seattle for the ride today. That was on my mind for the last 6 months and I blew it. No, no, you folks don't want me there this year. I'll be one great big downer. By day-2 I'll walk by camps and tent flaps will be yanked down before I can even glance inside. Nobody wants that.

I appreciate the nudgings. I'm warm and fuzzy. No, wait, that's the cat on my lap. When did he jump on my lap? Hmmm. Next year. Ill start planning for next year now. Thanks for the encouraging words. I gotta hand it to you guys, though, and so far only guys have responded to any of my posts, considering 50,000 people will attend this year you sure do try to squeeze in one more, don't you? I feel the love. Thanks. Mikey
Mad Mikey

Postby TomServo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:19 am

Think you are stoned..but you'll work it out

TomServo

Another Rant

Postby Mad Mikey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:32 am

Here I go on another rant. When I said I am new and I am green, I meant green as in environmentally conscientious, not green as in without a clue. I believe in conservation, protecting and restoring natural habitats, doing as little harm to the planet as possible while living a normal life, and the such.

I try to live right by earth. I err. I know that. But I do my part in small ways. I have planted trees. I have been for walks along beaches just to pick up trash. I always clear campsites of garbage when we arrive. I pick up trash along trails when we hike. I do not disturb sensitive areas. My car does not leak oil. Oh wait, I don't own a car. I haven't owned a car in over 5 years. I never burn anything other than wood products accept for recreational use (:-0) My wallet is made of hemp, not cow. I haven't used an air-conditioner in years. Etc, etc.

OMG, did any of you see the PBS program hosted by Ed Norton Jr. about the ill-effects of plastic going on around the world? It made me sick. What is it, some 500 sq miles of the center of the Pacific Ocean is over-run by small pieces of plastic from years of reckless human disregard? That should be about the most pristine place on earth, but our garbage has been swirling its way there for over 50 years. In testing the waters out there they find again and again that minute pieces of plastic outnumber plankton. How disgusting is that? Now I go around & can't help myself but to pick up plastic when I see it on the ground. I went to Discovery Park in Sac a few days after seeing that program and filled bags up with discarded plastic strewn everywhere along the American River shoreline and elsewhere.

So, that is what I meant by being green, and I do not think being green in that way should ever be considered "so last year". So there. I hope you guys and gals are green also. Green is good. Some of you must belong to The Green Party, heh? And I'm not being judgmental. I'm confident not a one of you Burners can be as bad as 1/2 the population is about these things. Nuff for now. Over n out. M
Mad Mikey

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:03 am

i'm aqua......sometimes jade, but never, ever kelly or chartreuse.

once and awhile i'll be sage or hunter, but only on holidays.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby JezebelinHell » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:04 am

You seem like a fairly coherent individual, and you can mostly spell and use punctuation, so I'm going to give you a little tip about the Eplaya. People make fun of each other on this board. You're free to make fun of them back, but there will be people cracking jokes, making sarcastic comments, and just being generally snarky.

The comment you were responding to was based on the fact that last year's theme was Green Man. Just your typical witty one-liner. Nothing to worry about. Hope you make it out next year. It's always amazing.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:06 am

Yes.
Come out.
We'll set fire to things just to watch them oxidize rapidly!
gyre

Bad Mikey

Postby Mad Mikey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:13 pm

Um, in my altered state, it really slipped by me that last year's theme was Green Man. I feel bad now. - OK, I'm over it.

As it turns out, I was itching for a way to throw in my "green" side and I took that reply as the chance to. Besides, I'm sure I'll piss off a bunch more people here before I'm done, but that's OK because it all comes back in the end. Huh?

And this gives me the opportunity to state that I am Mr. Easy-Going. I am rarely serious when I appear upset about something unless I'm upset at myself. Don't get me mad at myself or you'll be sorry...

Which leads me to the question, is there a corner at BRC where you make people go sit for time-outs if they are bad?
Mad Mikey

Postby TomServo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:35 pm

The Temple of Atonement

TomServo

Postby Mad Mikey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 am

Ahhhhh. I might just camp there.
Mad Mikey

Postby TomServo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:19 am

hehe..ok..check it out first though..not for everyone

TomServo

Postby Mad Mikey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:33 am

All the better. I'm not for everyone either.
Mad Mikey

Postby YourFlyIsOpen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:10 pm

>Are all types @ B.M. : Pervs, sickos, wierdos, fucking hippies, fucking CEO's, old , young, gay, straight, satanist (i guess..they still around?) agnostic, atheist, christian, muslim, jewish, pagan, punk, weekend warriors, local native americans, out of town native americans, japanese, australian, israeli, german, french, kiwi, british, polish, russian, chinese, celebrity, larry harveys, shit..what did I forget? <

...quakers, airline pilots, yoginis,
...jerks, a-holes, lovers, groovies, idiots, Mensans,
...drunks, addicts, Alcoholics Anonymous members,
...trustafarians, blue-collar workers, cubicle dwellers,
...professional artists, wannabe artists, weekend artists, budding artists

...YourFlyIsOpen

I gift you with Burning Man photo art at
www.flickr.com/photos/yourflyisopen/
YourFlyIsOpen

Arg!!!

Postby Mad Mikey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:00 pm

Shit! None of those are my type. Are there any Martians there? I'm looking for fellow Martians to hang with.
Mad Mikey

Postby DaBear » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:16 am

between a moss and a jungle here.

oh and we'll have plenty of martini's at Comrade Corner.....
...ohhh
sorry.
looking forward to getting home...
DaBear

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Komrade Korner

Return to Introduce Yourself!