New to life, new to Burning Man

New to life, new to Burning Man

Postby bittermac » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:28 pm

I find myself at an odd spot in life. I am recently divorced, never saw it coming. Newly single. New romance, and she is a severe burner. No names, but you probibly know her. Going to my first BM and looking forward to it. Have no expectations for BM or life at this point.

Bittermac
bittermac

Re: New to life, new to Burning Man

Postby TomServo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:48 pm

bittermac wrote:I find myself at an odd spot in life. I am recently divorced, never saw it coming. Newly single. New romance, and she is a severe burner. No names, but you probibly know her. Going to my first BM and looking forward to it. Have no expectations for BM or life at this point.

Bittermac

I think thats the best way to go.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:43 pm

yeah i say so... last year i went with expectations and they got way more then exceeded... so this year not going with any expectations because i know that yet again they will be exceeded..... also this is my second burn but will be my first as a civilian ( soon to be prior military).
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby thirt33n » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:23 am

independence day!
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:48 am

thanks for your service - enjoy your burn.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby mocscott » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:52 pm

Im a little lost... which isnt always a bad thing

My G/f and I are both newbies. We got our tickets and are getting prepared. Were both really excited about our 1st Burn! Any tips that arent already in the survival guide would be appreciated.

Also how do you find a spot/camp... not a theme camp, just a place to camp? Are they asssigned or given out by greaters?
mocscott

Postby TomServo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:29 pm

shaded areas on the map are theme camps..anywhere else your free to camp. Consider the distance you'll have to go for ice..which is in center camp..they ever place other ice trailers? Go with an open mind, and no expectations.
TomServo

Postby JezebelinHell » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:54 am

The main page says that there will be ice stations at 3:00 and 9:00 as well this year. That's gonna make my life a whole lot easier because we'll probably be in the Red Light District again.

Tips for first timers (based on things I fucked up my first few years):
1. Do NOT buy a cheap tent or a cheap shade structure. You don't have to go crazy expensive, but there are some serious wind gusts out there and the cheap poles will bend and snap on you, rendering your structure pretty useless. Oh yeah, and don't EVER think that the stakes that came with your tent will be enough to hold it to the playa. You need rebar.

2. Bring something to light you up at night. I don't care if it's glowsticks or leds or el wire or whatever. You do not want to get run over by an artcar or a drunken biker while wandering the esplanade in the dark.

3. Get a Camelbak. I didn't get one until my third year, but once I got one I realized how stupid it was not to have one. I'll generally fill mine all the way up, and then add one to two packets of Emergen-C to keep my electrolytes up.

4. Get a headlamp. Not only are they super useful for biking, but you need a hands free light for the potties, because it's dark as hell in there and you don't want to spend the rest of the day wondering what the fuck you just sat in.

5. Don't make any plans your first year. Just wander around and take it all in. There are a hundred amazing things going on somewhere on the playa at any given time, and if you try and see all of them you're gonna go crazy.

6. Leave no trace means leave no trace. Don't litter, if you smoke bring a portable ashtray (altoids tins work really well), don't pee on the playa, and if you see MOOP, pick it up and throw it away at camp.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby pinemom » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:38 am

Nicely Said Jez!

and...even a expensive tent or carport or shade structure aint diddly without rebar!
Trust in rebar!

nothing under 12".... hehehee
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby JezebelinHell » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:33 am

And guy-lines. If you get reflective guy-lines then slightly less drunken idiots will trip over your tent. Either way it will be more wind-resistant.
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby ZaphodBurner » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:58 pm

JezebelinHell wrote:5. Don't make any plans your first year. Just wander around and take it all in. There are a hundred amazing things going on somewhere on the playa at any given time,

That's an understatement. Good advice.

Also, the spectacular stuff happens toward the center but the weirder stuff happens toward the outer streets.

Don't be so overwhelmed at the spectacle that you become afraid to or forget to talk to people, especially if you like you just wandered into some science fiction planet. If you think "I met this person on the playa so they must be cool in the real world" you might be disappointed (or not), but the Playa People are generally amazing, and the random conversation you stumble into on somebody's boring-looking couch in the 'burbs might be as memorable as all the art and fire.

The best experiences you have will most likely be unexpected and random.

If some cute couple wants to trade or buy drugs, they're probably cops.

Once you feel like you've arrived, try to experience at least one Black Rock City sunrise with your girlfriend. It's hard to explain, but, I think it's like holding hands and seeing god together.

It takes at least a day and a night to wrap your head around what's happening. Allow it. If it gets too much, just go find Center Camp. Don't be afraid to tell people it's your first day/night. Welcome Home.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby CLARKcon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:35 pm

New to life...I like it :D It doesn't matter your chronilogical age- each day can be a re-birth (wiping the slate clean) and seeing through pristine eyes :wink: and ditto on what everyone has been saying. Yes, no expectations=good idea. Planning ahead is great as well, but don't make plans for the playa that you can't drop the i n s t a n t your foot touches down in the dust! :D
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby mojo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:59 am

Keep in mind that for a "severe" burner to have a newbie going with them is generally a real bonus - they will get to see the festival again through new eyes.
mojo

Finally got my ticket!

Postby bittermac » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:50 pm

Got my ticket. The Burner in my life claims that the ticket is the biggest committment, you're not serious until you do. To me, it was the decision to go. I couldn't allow someone else to make plans based on my say so, then back out. Guess thats just me, because she has a lot of stories of people promising then not going.
bittermac

Postby JezebelinHell » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:25 pm

I planned on going for a couple of years before I actually made it. Burning Man is expensive, time consuming, and kind of intimidating at first. Once you've been there once though, everything seems so insanely worth it that you can't imagine missing it again.
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby TomServo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:58 am

Almost every year, theirs someone I know, thats "gonna" go. (95%) of them back out. It's a big commitment, both financially and personally. Don't know if I speak for everyone else, but you're throwing yourself into something life-changing. Hope it works for you! I hope your partner will be able to ease you into the event, and experience it with you!
TomServo

Return to Introduce Yourself!