Introduction from an interested FL party

Introduction from an interested FL party

Postby NeroWolf » Sun May 25, 2008 5:59 pm

Hello everyone,

My name's James, but mostly people refer to me as Nero. It's a handle I've had for a while, but either one will work.

Anyways, I'm interested in experiencing BM this August if I can find a way to get there. I'm relatively handy with tools and such, and I follow directions if somebody needs help setting something up or anything like that.

I'm a bit of a music fiend, and I'm fairly sure that anyone that knows me would pick up on that rather quickly. I can't be separated from my iPod for too long... otherwise I start making my own music by starting some kind of rhythm somewhere. :lol:

Was kinda introduced to BM rather second-handedly by my friend Shawn (Aka: "Gateway Gay", "Naked Shawn" "The Shawn who is also known as Naked", etc.), and I really have no idea how the gifting economy works in-practice... I get the idea, but I don't know if I have that many knick-knacks to get-by for a week. :shock:

Anyways, hello again!

-- James (Nero)
NeroWolf

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 26, 2008 3:28 pm

Don't stress about nicknacks. The absolute least of your worries. Most people give newbs a pass their first year, and the rest are REAL jerks.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mdmf007 » Mon May 26, 2008 5:58 pm

Fichy hit it on the head - participation is the biggest gift on playa. Simply being interesting, and not a leech makes the burn that much better.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby mojo » Mon May 26, 2008 6:33 pm

Yep - the best gift you could give is to be entertaining or helpful to people who are setting up, breaking down or ?????

You are the party!
mojo

Postby NeroWolf » Tue May 27, 2008 12:01 pm

Definitely willing to help someone set-up whatever they need. I just need a bit of direction since I'm rather new... and I need to figure out how to get there and how to stay there and get back in once piece. :lol:

-- James (Nero)
NeroWolf

Postby AntiM » Tue May 27, 2008 12:14 pm

Step one: commit to the event and buy a ticket.

Step Two: read the survival guide, repeatedly, read the first timers guide. Decide how much camp you want.

Step three: decide the snarky eplayans are out of their minds, but friendly and helpful when you get past the joking. Make contact with burners in your area.

Step four: rideshare, drive or fly?

Step five: assemble camping gear and survival basics.

Step six: get yer ass to the playa.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby NeroWolf » Tue May 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Commitment isn't a problem... I can get a ticket next month when the paychecks even out again, it's a matter of getting the camping gear and getting out there with someone that won't totally wierd me out.

And I'd be flying... Tampa isn't exactly a good place to drive out from.

I've tried to look at some of the local playa groups that are close to me, and their websites appear broken... did FL just fall off the map or something and I don't know it yet? :lol:

-- James (Nero)
NeroWolf

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 27, 2008 1:09 pm

There was an earthquake and the whole state's under water now. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby NeroWolf » Tue May 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Gads! I wondered why I was always so wet down here!

-- James (Nero)
NeroWolf

Another Burner from FL!

Postby Funkpocket » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:01 pm

Nero, good to hear of you friend. We are leaving from Orlando, but are taking Amtrak this year.

year 1 we flew and rented a mini van in Reno...couldn't bring enough stuff
year 2 we drove...a bit better, slept in van.
year 3 we drove a van with a trailer...too much stuff, but the only bamboo Geo dome!

this year it's Amtrak... they have a 30 day peak season unlimited rail pass for 599.99
but our problem of getting from Reno to BRC is still unresolved.

Good Luck and stay in touch!

Ryan
Funkpocket

Postby Dork » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:42 pm

Particularly in your first year, leave the knick-knacks at home unless it's something personal that you know people will want. You don't HAVE to give anything away, and may get resistance if you try anyway. Give yourself instead - entertain someone, help them build something, volunteer for a project, pick up moop on the playa, etc. Wait until year 2 to go nuts with the gifts.
Dork

Postby JezebelinHell » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:43 pm

Getting to the playa from here isn't generally difficult. If worst comes to worst you can always find other stranded burners and throw in together to rent a car. One piece of advice from a Reno local... do NOT tell them you're taking their car to Burning Man. Don't show up with camping gear, and don't look like a damn hippy. The rental companies here fucking hate it when you take their cars to the playa. Tell them you're driving to Fallon to visit your grandma for a week, whatever you have to do. Also, remember that it's a busy week to rent a car in Reno, and maybe call ahead to reserve one if it's looking like you won't have a ride. Good luck! It's all worth it... I promise.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby TomServo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:46 am

YES!! do not come looking like a fucking hippy! Get your ticket..find a ride.. and plan for a desert that can kick your ass. Generally doesn't but it can. If you make it, I think you won't regret all the work that goes in to getting their..Good Luck!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Return to Introduce Yourself!