WA Hello

WA Hello

Postby JacobKukuk » Sun May 25, 2008 4:33 pm

My name is Jacob Kukuk, It will be my first year going to Burning Man this year. I've been reading the survival guide like no tomorrow trying to gather proper information on what I need to bring and what needs to stay at home. :shock: Good thing I have lots of caffine :)
JacobKukuk

Re: WA Hello

Postby CLARKcon » Sun May 25, 2008 7:11 pm

JacobKukuk wrote:...Good thing I have lots of caffine :)

Ya got that right Jacob :D ! The first time out is something to soak in, ejoy, cherish. There's two catorgies (lists) you should make: Needs & Wants. NEEDS are vital: food, water, shelter, clothing (cold/hot),etc. Once you have those down, e v e r y t h i n g else is just a want/entertainment: kickass costumes, kiddie pool, etc. (One year, our camp's truck broke down and had to drop half of our gear (left all the fun stuff- no shade structure, no chairs, 1/2 our water supply...makes you see what you really need to survive :wink: Hope you have a great year in the dust :D
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby mdmf007 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:56 pm

What Clark said -

my advice for rookies is to pace yourself, and dont burn out half way through the event.

another tip - youll eat less than you think you will, and drink more than you thought. You dont sweat on playa as it evaporates as fast as it leaves your skin.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby JacobKukuk » Sun May 25, 2008 10:45 pm

mdmf007 wrote:What Clark said -
another tip - youll eat less than you think you will, and drink more than you thought. You dont sweat on playa as it evaporates as fast as it leaves your skin.

Thats a very good way to look at why theres a need to drink lots of water. :) I'm hoping I can locate a camp to stay with that has some experienced Burners to get advice as I go. Looked through the camp listings and found allot of emails and descriptions, not allot from Washington state though. Are they still adding camps?
- Jacob Kukuk
JacobKukuk

Postby thirt33n » Mon May 26, 2008 1:19 am

I'm hoping I can locate a camp to stay with that has some experienced Burners to get advice as I go.

you just did. eplaya.

my advice is to be 100% self sufficient and proud

bingo!
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon May 26, 2008 7:32 am

JacobKukuk wrote:
Thats a very good way to look at why theres a need to drink lots of water. :) I'm hoping I can locate a camp to stay with that has some experienced Burners to get advice as I go. Looked through the camp listings and found allot of emails and descriptions, not allot from Washington state though. Are they still adding camps?

The stock answer is Stag Camp. They're mostly burners coming by themselves that want a little community. It doesn't matter where you're from. There's an eplaya thread for Stag Camp.

CLARKcon wrote:
(One year, our camp's truck broke down and had to drop half of our gear (left all the fun stuff- no shade structure, no chairs, 1/2 our water supply...makes you see what you really need to survive

Wow, even that varies burner-to-burner! We've had that happen several times, and it always meant "we gotta fix this truck!"
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby JacobKukuk » Mon May 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
JacobKukuk wrote:

The stock answer is Stag Camp. They're mostly burners coming by themselves that want a little community. It doesn't matter where you're from. There's an eplaya thread for Stag Camp.

Sweet, gona look into that now :) ty
- Jacob Kukuk
JacobKukuk

Postby working_class_hero » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:36 am

dude im a first timer from mountlake terrace your RIGHT up the road, wanna catch a drink and talk about the burn?
working_class_hero

Postby ragabashpup » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:25 am

Aww look at all you fun Washingtonians :)

There is a Newbie picnic that takes place in WA as well. I have been told that it will be on July 6th and it takes place in the park by the Zoo in Seattle. If you ping me I will try and find more info for you. I went to the picnic my virgin year and there were many good tips and tricks to be learned.
ragabashpup

Return to Introduce Yourself!