Hitch Hiking on the Karma Highway.

Hitch Hiking on the Karma Highway.

Postby AmelieChimere » Sun May 25, 2008 10:52 am

My name is Amelia, and having recently turned 19 I've been trying to 'find myself' as they say (because, apparently, we're all inherently lost.)

I've opened my eyes and I seen, and I don't want to be these shells of people that I pass on the street. I want to live! So, I've been trying to enrich myself spiritually, physically.. etc.

And then a week ago or so I heard about Burning Man. One of my co-workers has gone for the past couple years, and just from what he told me I was instantly enthralled.

I plan on coming this year, very new to all of this, and I'll be trolling the threads to try to get a clue as to what will really be going on, and helpful suggestions etc.

I can't wait to meet new friends and fellow spiritual seekers!
AmelieChimere

Postby gyre » Sun May 25, 2008 12:02 pm

Welcome.
Are you going?
gyre

Postby AmelieChimere » Sun May 25, 2008 1:14 pm

Yes indeed, I am.

Though, I'm not sure if I'm going stag or not. I asked about all that in the Q+A.
AmelieChimere

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue May 27, 2008 8:41 am

bring a bike, an open mind, read the survival guide 5 times and take its advice to heart, and be prepared to feel like the queen of a magic kingdom for a week
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby mojo » Tue May 27, 2008 10:06 am

Welcome.

My best advice is don't expect spiritual fulfillment. This is, after all, a big camping trip in the desert.

I can pretty much guarantee that your experience will not be what you expect - so leave all expectations at home. Then you can't help but be surprised.
mojo

india is so 2007

Postby your mother » Wed May 28, 2008 12:54 pm

they got a temple on the playa too! I'm a newbie too and hoped this topic was about hitchhiking. I'm looking for a ride, wanna arrive 23th, any advise? Amelie, just bring the smile of amelie poullain and you'll be rewarded with many smiles comming back at you.
LOVE
your mother

Postby AntiM » Wed May 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Why the 23rd? You have early entry? Can't get in early unless you are on the list.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Dork » Wed May 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Congratulations on trying to find yourself early on. It's harder to do when you're in your 30's, as I'm finding out. As mentioned, don't expect some profound life changing spiritual awakening. All BM can do is expose you to a somewhat different culture and surroundings. What you do with the new information is up to you.
Dork

Postby SirSlackworthy » Fri May 30, 2008 12:55 pm

Dork wrote:Congratulations on trying to find yourself early on. It's harder to do when you're in your 30's, as I'm finding out. As mentioned, don't expect some profound life changing spiritual awakening. All BM can do is expose you to a somewhat different culture and surroundings. What you do with the new information is up to you.

It depends on the person. When I was younger, I was more ignorant and didn't know myself well enough to even know where to look or how to recognize myself if I did find myself. It's easier for me now that I'm older.

My first time on the Playa was not an epiphany: I had already grasped the meaning of radical self-expression through other experiences. It wasn't a spiritual awakening: my previous initiatory experiences had primed that pump. It wasn't a transformative experience: I had been through enough weird scenes, festivals, etc. that I was fairly well mutated by the time I arrived at the Playa.

What struck me, the biggest revelation for me, what turned me into a Burning Zealot, was the shock of recognition. These were my people, it was my place. It was a homecoming, of sorts, for me. That's why I'm returning, to be at that home again.

But that was for me. It is different for everyone. It is entirely possible that you WILL have a profoundly spiritual experience. Many people do.

I hope you find what you are looking for, and discover new and unexpected treasures in the process.

Sir RedMark Slackworthy the Blue
Kingdom of Loafington
SirSlackworthy

Postby Dork » Fri May 30, 2008 1:12 pm

SirSlackworthy wrote:
Dork wrote:Congratulations on trying to find yourself early on. It's harder to do when you're in your 30's, as I'm finding out. As mentioned, don't expect some profound life changing spiritual awakening. All BM can do is expose you to a somewhat different culture and surroundings. What you do with the new information is up to you.

It depends on the person. When I was younger, I was more ignorant and didn't know myself well enough to even know where to look or how to recognize myself if I did find myself. It's easier for me now that I'm older.

I guess I was thinking more about logistics since that's what I'm fighting with right now. At 19 most people have less stuff weighing them down and fewer pressures to maintain a career and such.

It could very well mean more to me at this point, though.
Dork

Postby AmelieChimere » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:52 pm

I'm not looking for enlightenment at BurningMan, well, no more than I am in anywhere else anyways. I'm just excited to meet so many new people and learn from them. It is a gathering of people who are so alike in many ways, but still infinitely diverse.

A learning experience and a great time camping out in the desert. That's what I'm looking forward to.

And, as it turns out, I can't go until next year. Which, it works out better that way because I've found others in my area to come along with me, and we have plenty of time to prepare. No rushing. :D
AmelieChimere

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:07 pm

You'll be sorry.
Escape from indiana while you can!!

There is one big similarity in burners, at least the ones that come any distance....they all have to go.
You will find this is hard to predict.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby AmelieChimere » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:27 am

I really wish there was a way I could go this year, but I'm going to Nepal the first of September for volunteer work and such.

But, I am still getting out of Indiana. :D
AmelieChimere

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:06 am

I hope things have settled down there by then.
Are you going to a Hillary school?

I want to go to Bhutan when I can, very much.
gyre

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:17 am

AmelieChimere wrote:I really wish there was a way I could go this year, but I'm going to Nepal the first of September for volunteer work and such.

But, I am still getting out of Indiana. :D
It's over by the first.
You can still go.
gyre

Return to Introduce Yourself!