New from los angeles...

New from los angeles...

Postby ErickPortillo » Wed May 14, 2008 1:36 pm

Hello, whats up everybody? I'll be new to burning man this year.
i know a couple people that have gone and i hear nothing but great things from it.
the problem i've seemed to notice is that some people seem to have a hard time becoming a part of the community.
i've notice people talk about not being a spectator, fratboy or something with nothing to give back to the community, my thought of burning man is not just about partying in the desert, but more about a profound experience that will be with you for the rest of your life, something that may change you and the way you think, or perspective on life itself.
I want to come back with something, and not exacly something material, all though i still don't know what it is.
I don't know any people going this year so i imagine myself feeling some what lost when i get there... not knowing where to go what to do.....where to start... i'm hoping to bring some art, but what about for the others that arent so good with art, how can they feel more like a part of the community?

i have been told that "fratboys" aren't wanted there, and how each and every year its changing and going for the worst with all the new people not commiting to the true concept of burning man.
i want to totally avoid feeling like a spectating fratboy thats just there to walk around in basketball shorts and do psychadelics just to have a bad trip.

also if there is any post-burning man events near los angeles would be great.

thanks,
peace and love.
ErickPortillo

Postby gyre » Wed May 14, 2008 2:00 pm

Being a good spectator is a gift too.
Feeling lost?
You can expect that.
Just keep going.
Keep exploring.
Anyone can contribute out there.
Someone always needs help with something.
gyre

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed May 14, 2008 2:26 pm

Hey Erick! Welcome to eplaya and to Burning Man. Sounds like you have the right idea and getting yourself out there on this board is a good way to meet people and make connections. There are a lot of groups from the LA area, including our camp, Destiny Lounge. If you want to be a part of a larger group experience your first year, check out the theme camp listings on the BM site. More are being added every few days now as the deadline for theme camp placement is drawing near. You will find a good number from this area and one of them may sound like a good fit for you. Or, you could just go on your own and have a nice solo experience for your first year, getting the feel for everything and finding your own unique ways to contribute. Be sure to read the first timers guide a few times to get the basics drilled into your head. Radical self reliance is more than a lot of stuff: it's a mindset. Good luck and be sure to say hey on the playa!!

Doggy
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby mdmf007 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:56 pm

Fratboys are fine, as long as they dont act like they or asshats or there just to look at tits. these guys are yahoos.

If you try to party at the apce of a party on greek row - you will be getting IV's of fluids on Wednesday, and will hate the rest of your burn. Pacing yourself is key to having fun, seeing everything you can see - and not becoming the asshole that people at BM loathe.

so have fun, pull your adult pants on and have a blast.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Try Tribe!

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Thu May 15, 2008 12:51 am

Dude check out Tribe.net you can find a tribe there called LA Burners, So Cal Decom, and SD Burners... tribe will introduce you to tons of people in the so cal burner community and it will also show you tons of events coming up and stuff :)....
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Existential Isis » Thu May 15, 2008 8:57 am

I hear you -- I'm also in LA and trying to figure out how to integrate myself into the local BM community. Feel free to drop me a line.
Existential Isis

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Thu May 15, 2008 8:05 pm

http://laburners.tribe.net/?_click_path ... 751ee52%5D

Check that out.... it is a community on tribe of LA Burners.... and events!
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu May 15, 2008 11:18 pm

gyre wrote:Being a good spectator is a gift too.
Feeling lost?
You can expect that.
Just keep going.
Keep exploring.
Anyone can contribute out there.
Someone always needs help with something.

What exactly is a "good spectator " ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby gyre » Fri May 16, 2008 1:54 am

The 'No Spectators' thing is kind of bullshit.
I know what is meant by it, but it can really be confusing for people.

A good spectator is someone who goes out to see what the artists did and tries to appreciate it.
I especially look for the smaller things that often get lost in the hubbub of BIG ART.
I often find pieces that I expect to breeze by, stick with me for years after.
And I try to let the artists know.
How would you feel if you went to great expense and trouble to drag something out there and then feel like no one saw it?
Or if it's big art on Main Street, that no one really got it?

The biggest thanks I've gotten have been from people whose stuff I came to look at out in the suburbs.
What seems so little sometimes means a lot to someone else.
So yes, be a good spectator at burning man.

Playing with someone's fire cannon, I realized they were getting more fun out of seeing me find the joy in it they first had when they got it working, than they did when they fired it themselves now.

One of my best memories is of someone hysterically thanking me after I did one of those horrible performances I do to new people at the gate on their new friend coming in.
They told me it was the best thing they had ever seen anyone do out there.
Nice to be appreciated.

The guys that set up the fireworks and the flames at crude awakening, you know what they wanted to hear about after?
How'd you like it?
gyre

hey

Postby ErickPortillo » Fri May 16, 2008 11:37 am

haha, i can imagine myself walking deep in the hot playa and suddently coming to a stop and find myself looking at something that will have me thinking all week.
yout right spectating along with appreciation is participation in itself.
i'm not exacly sure what the whole fratboy or spectator thing is about, but it just sounded like people at bm didn't like it, lol.
i cant wait, i plan on walking from end to end of bm and hopefully get to see everyones piece of work.
ErickPortillo

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri May 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Existential Isis wrote:I hear you -- I'm also in LA and trying to figure out how to integrate myself into the local BM community. Feel free to drop me a line.

Garsh, yer a right little purdy gal, aint you?
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Re: hey

Postby ibdave » Fri May 16, 2008 5:19 pm

ErickPortillo wrote: i plan on walking from end to end of bm and hopefully get to see everyones piece of work.

He He He.... I think we have all said that at one time...Good Luck with that... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby gyre » Fri May 16, 2008 6:35 pm

It's impossible in a week.
That's why we need a six week burning man.

Someday that's what they will call it.
The Six Weeks of Burning Man
gyre

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri May 16, 2008 8:03 pm

Good god NO !!!!...............just imagine all the spectators ..........
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby gyre » Fri May 16, 2008 9:12 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Good god NO !!!!...............just imagine all the spectators ..........
It might allow enough time to involve even the most casual visitor.
gyre

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri May 16, 2008 9:23 pm

Well....it would give me more time to make instant participants out of every spectator by hosing them down with my cock cannon.

Now...what was it you were saying about artists wanting to have thier art appreciated ?
oneeyeddick

Postby gyre » Fri May 16, 2008 9:33 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Well....it would give me more time to make instant participants out of every spectator by hosing them down with my cock cannon.

Now...what was it you were saying about artists wanting to have thier art appreciated ?
Yeah, sometimes that involves telling artists that nobody is getting it.
The usual response, "It's intuitive."

Well, if art was all intuitive, somebody would have already done it.
gyre

Postby SirSlackworthy » Fri May 30, 2008 1:19 pm

I cringe a little about stereotypes like "fratboy". Or "spectator".

Instead of worrying about what not to be, how about wondering what to be?

Here's an idea: think of some of the greatest, most wonderful things about yourself. Or ask a trusted somebody what they think. What is it about you, or that you do, that makes people smile?

Whatever "that" is, build upon it, amplify it, give it a bit of a twist, work up a shtick, make it your Playa persona, and inflict it on unsuspecting passers-by. They'll love you for it. Or not. But at least you will have gifted them with something extraordinary.

And to add to the "be helpful" advice: running theme camps, especially service-oriented ones, takes a lot of grunt work. Find a camp that is serving coffee, waffles, whatever, and pitch in. Your gift of labor will be very much appreciated, and nothing breaks the ice with strangers better than working together. You'll be sure to make appreciative new friends that way.

Not that the Loyal Subjects of the Kingdom of Loafington plan to do much work of any kind, either for ourselves or for others. We will have other, more obscure, ways of contributing.

Sir RedMark Slackworthy the Blue
Kingdom of Loafington
“There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled.â€
SirSlackworthy

Postby MikeVDS » Fri May 30, 2008 5:38 pm

You have way too many expectations. Don't expect anything profound, don't expect anything in particular, except that which you bring yourself. Then go and be part of the city. Be a citizen and act as if you belong, even if you don't feel right about it at first. It takes a few days of trying to get the hang of the way the city works and then you should feel right at home and understand exactly why I told you that.
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Return to Introduce Yourself!