Newbies Bringin Boobies and Doobies

Newbies Bringin Boobies and Doobies

Postby aranryan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Hello everyone!

A-Ran from sunny San Diego here! (Which means "Whales Vagina" if you were curious, or so I'm told...LOL)

I'm a BM infant, yeah, a newb to the scene but damned excited to be attending this coming August! I started feeling the burn after my girlfriend told me about her experience at BM06 and have been planning our trip since.

Some background on me: I'm an original Californian, grew up in the Central Valley, expanded my mind up in the glorious town of Chico, CA, partied it up in Davis, CA, DJ'ed some late 90's raves in SF, SJ, and Fairfield, then traveled the world for a bit and settled down in SoCal.

I've been a reader of the eplaya for a couple months now and it's time I introduce myself to the community. I indulge in eplaya enrichment every day during my lunch break at work. I've read/studied/memorized/transcribed to memory the Survival Guide, printed it, brought it to Kinkos, made a 16ft wall mural out of it... (jk) There are so many interesting people on here that I'd love to meet at BM-08! I already have a shopping list of places to visit! The Boobie Bar, HookahDome, Center Plaza, ThunderDome, CoffeeCamp, wherever AccordionMan is giving a performance. :-) Pretty much, I wanna see it all!

As part of my planning for the event, I'm building my own 15ft 5/8th conduit dome all by myself (with limited help from the g/f). So far I have all my struts cut and ends smashed but need to work on a jig to start drilling my bolt-holes. If anyone has helpful hints (that aren't already listed on eplaya... trust me, if it was listed on here, I've read it! I'm an eplaya whore! ;-) I'd love to hear any input on cover-creation, transport, etc. efalk was my inspiration with OasisDome. If he's still cruising these forums, I'd love to talk dome stuff.

I notice lots of people get caught up in finding a camp to join. I was thinking about setting up on my own for the first time and just going out and socializing. I'm no stranger to surviving in the desert/camping/being self-sufficient. (Former U.S. Marine here) Perhaps next year, after meeting all you awesome folks, I may partner up with a camp, although Stag Camp sounded like fun. Heh, well, there's a few more months to recruit me. ;-)

All in all, I'm super stoked to be joining you all this year and if anyone is close to San Diego/Oceanside, I'd love to meet fellow burners in the area. Stay safe and I'll see ya on the playa!
aranryan

Postby ragabashpup » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:06 pm

Just wanted to say welcome. I went with a small group of friends my first year and this will be my second year and I still haven't joined one of the larger camps. So it isnt manditory :)
ragabashpup

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:19 pm

Glad to have ya! Feel free to bring by some of those B's and D's anytime :wink: I think you'll have an amazing time, my first Burn was the best b/c I really couldn't imagine the scope of it all without first experiencing it.

Good luck!
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:04 pm

No doobs for me - love the boobs though.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Intubater69 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:37 pm

hmmm, new theme camp.....Newbs, Boobs n Doobs. For an art car they could "borrow" the wienermobile and turn it into a giant doob :D
I get to drive the ambulance how fast?!!

SailMan
Intubater69

Postby CLARKcon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:20 pm

Hello aranryan! The desert is a trip! It is well worth it, too...who knew that one week could be so impactful and essentially make daydreams last the rest of the year. ePlaya is great for new information/updates coming out, from the BMorg and from individuals. For more informal chat and questions, come chat in "The Bar" thread (Under the Open Discussion topic). Get very excited- it's a week long extreme camping adventure in a inhospitable climate in a city that only last a week with 50,000 of the most creative, sexy, and humanitarian folk. Love it :D
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:45 am

Welcome!!.... enjoy the excitement of getting ready for your first year!!... Try not to bring too many expectations... or leave them at the Gate, and you'll have the time of your life!!!!..... And of course, the more B(O)(O)bies, the better!!
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby aranryan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm looking forward to August more and more.

Intubater, I LOVE that idea for a theme camp. However, being my first burn I probably don't have the resources to bring it to life. Perhaps in 2009? Although on the other hand, the name might bring the frat-boy crowd. Dunno, but I totally like the possibilities that Newbs Boobs n Doobs could be.

CLARKcon, thank you for the info. I have read many of your posts. I'll definitely be posting more in the forums. :)
aranryan

a little frat boy in all of us

Postby Crankful » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Hey great to hear from another San Diegan...this will be my 6th burn and I am creating my own living structure........the first year I was taken in by nudists from Utah...been there every year since..........this year I am going to set up by myself to create some change...welcome
Crankful

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:31 am

rubes with goobs of lube.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT, IT'S AUGUST!!!

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby LadyWhipsALot » Sun May 04, 2008 12:24 pm

I see you have a plan of places to go... You're forgetting some important ones... I hear there's this great bar called Moonshine Tavern... probably at the 9 o'clock plaza :D

Also, if you are coming out with your girlfriend, I recommend that she go to the Titty Man... This will be my 5th year, and 5th experience going to help the titty man (he's "Building a City of Titties, 2 by 2")... My burn isn't complete without being felt up by the titty man...
LadyWhipsALot

Postby Intubater69 » Sun May 04, 2008 6:09 pm

aranryan wrote:Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm looking forward to August more and more.

Intubater, I LOVE that idea for a theme camp. However, being my first burn I probably don't have the resources to bring it to life. Perhaps in 2009? Although on the other hand, the name might bring the frat-boy crowd. Dunno, but I totally like the possibilities that Newbs Boobs n Doobs could be.

CLARKcon, thank you for the info. I have read many of your posts. I'll definitely be posting more in the forums. :)

Aranryan, I'm just going with the awesome ideas you came up with! The weenermobile thingy just popped into my melon, interesting how that happens LOL Another mob for it could be a big boob at both ends. Boy wouldnt that be a happy driver sitting between that pair :)

SailMan
Intubater69

Postby aranryan » Mon May 05, 2008 1:31 pm

Hmm, a pair of boobs on wheels. . . how can I visualize that. Like a sailboat that has two boob shaped sails that blows across the playa with the driver sandwiched between the sails cleavage? Perhaps give the driver a penis costume and make him jump up and down? LOL, ohhhh the possibilties... dont' tempt me. ;)
aranryan

Postby Intubater69 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:34 am

aranryan wrote:Hmm, a pair of boobs on wheels. . . how can I visualize that. Like a sailboat that has two boob shaped sails that blows across the playa with the driver sandwiched between the sails cleavage? Perhaps give the driver a penis costume and make him jump up and down? LOL, ohhhh the possibilties... dont' tempt me. ;)

OMG! I'm LMAO at that one. As a sailor who will be splashing his boat on the 10th for an all too short lake erie season, it was especially relevant. I saw something online about the Black Rock Yacht Club camp. I most def. will have to check that out. Argh Matey's!

SailMan
Intubater69

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue May 06, 2008 8:59 am

Do you do burns on Fiesta Island?
Ugly Dougly

Postby aranryan » Thu May 22, 2008 1:45 pm

Ok so its now set in stone, I AM DEFINITELY GOING TO BURNING MAN! Ordered my ticket today thanks to my Economic Stimulus Check. George Bush is funding my BM trip! Haha! I'm freakin excited! I have a theme in mind, dome is almost complete, and I have two costumes already made. Stand by for updates as I get closer to completion! WOO HOO!!!!!! CAN'T FREAKIN WAIT! :)
aranryan

Postby mdmf007 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks George W
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby mojo » Fri May 23, 2008 10:09 am

Welcome Aran!

One of the things that keeps me coming back year after year is the enthusiasm of the virgins.....
mojo

Postby BitterDan » Fri May 23, 2008 2:08 pm

Yeah I love enthusiastic virgins too. :twisted:
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby CLARKcon » Sat May 24, 2008 8:04 am

Good to hear aranryan! Gonna get mine this next week (I wonder if they are capping the event where there is no more tickets before the deadline to order) I'm getting my buddy Reid to come out (1st time). He's an artist, and has been stressed out about school and seeming like he is 'searching' for a new perspective...think the dust will e le v at e him a bit. Stop by COFFEE CAMP here in about 3 months :D
"DRINK IT!"
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Dome Frame Completed!!

Postby aranryan » Sun May 25, 2008 7:49 pm

HOORAY!! I finished my dome frame today and got it "erected" in my backyard. Its roughly 15ft dia and around 18ft high. Its sturdy as hell and I am sooooo happy that it all came together easily. Next step is the covering and I have a plan for that already. I'm so excited to see my home taking shape! It took 2 people 5 hours to get it together but I think next time will be faster since I'll know what I'm doing now. That and I need to stop dropping the washers and nuts. ;) Anyhow, just wanted to share my excitement with the eplaya crew. You folks gave me the motivation to complete this project! :D

aranryan

Postby CLARKcon » Sun May 25, 2008 7:59 pm

Looks great man! I bet it is super compact/transportable when folded down as well. Don't forget to get some cut lengths of rebar to tack it down. Used bar this last year...not even a r m a g e d d o n could have moved our shade structure. What color is it gonna be? Are you gonna decorate it?
"DRINK IT!"
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Postby aranryan » Mon May 26, 2008 8:23 am

I've got rebar stakes already made for a GP tent I have. 18in rebar stakes with a hook on the end that will fit over the bottom struts. I have like a million of em. As far as decorations go, I have an apocalyptic type theme that will look much like a post-nuclear wasteland. I'm thinking rusty, splotchy stained canvas for the outside with some stencil artwork. I also have a sign illuminated with el wire. Thankfully I started this project in March otherwise it would never get done in time. I've prepared a backstory and am working on lots of conceptual art right now that I may be releasing soon. Most importantly, I've having an absolute blast planning and designing all my burning man paraphenalia. Its going to be orgasmic to see it all put together out on the playa. Damn, . . . is it August yet? :D
aranryan

Postby Intubater69 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Hmmm, apparently one of us has (toke) been partaking in 1 of the facets of newbs, boobs n doobs, but as I (toke) was looking over your Dome Aran, very impressive btw, I could'nt help (toke) but wonder, is there a (toke toke) doorway? :P

SailMan
Intubater69

Postby aranryan » Tue May 27, 2008 4:26 pm

Aha! Very observative of you Intubator. Yes, there *will* be a door but I didn't build it into this first rendition so as to evaluate the structural integrity of my efforts. Now that I see that its quite sturdy, I will be making the door modification next week. Should be a simple process of a few custom struts. The cover is gonna be a bitch tho... :x
aranryan

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Tue May 27, 2008 5:32 pm

Very nice Dome, Aran!!!...... You should be able to take out one of the triangles for a door without a problem...... Unless you have a lot of things hanging from the ceiling. Even then, it's OK, if you are using the backside struts, away from the door.
btw... we bent some of ours if the weight was in the center of a strut..... so keep possible heavy weight in the joins......
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby BitterDan » Tue May 27, 2008 6:37 pm

Gratz on the dome! I know what you mean about the cover being a pain in the ass. We are finally getting around to covering our 25 footer. We are simply going to make hexagons and pentagons out of canvas drop cloth. We've made one hexagon so far. :shock:
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Intubater69 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:15 pm

I think the dome concept is awesome, roomy, solid etc etc etc. Having absolutely no experience with them from what I have gleaned from various post's is that the cover is the bitch to have to conjure up. Could/would the old style parachutes be suitable for this use? I've also noted how many people fabricate the pipe ends with presses and drilled holes to connect them but I noticed Aran that you used connector doo-hickeys, which I think would make the build easier, maybe stronger as well. How much have you invested so far if you dont mind me asking, and how many people did it take to put together?

SailMan
Intubater69

Postby aranryan » Wed May 28, 2008 1:32 pm

I've done tons of research on the types of covers and found that although parachutes make for "ok" shade covers, they are terrible for dome covers due to the oven effect of the material, and the fact that they catch the wind. I'm leaning towards fabricating a custom fit cover from billboard vinyl and Temptrol. Less expensive and readily available.

Total cost so far is around $1000.00 but only because I had to buy some tools. Actual material costs were $210.00 for the conduit and $50.00 for the bolts,washers, nuts. The electric tape I used to mark the different strut lengths was around $15.00 because I had to buy a couple packs and a couple 3/8ths drill bits came to $20.00. So for really under $300.00 I created the dome structure.

I spent about 2 months from start to finish but thats not quite accurate because there were weeks that I didn't do anything. Grinding the ends down was the most time consuming part. I did all the fabrication myself (ok the g/f cut some sections of conduit when I slashed a knuckle open one night...oh yeah, and she color coded and taped the struts...) and it took 2.5 people to assemble the frame in 5 hrs. The .5 being my brother in law who disappeared midway through construction. With more people the fabrication would probably take up a couple weekends and 3-4 people would speed up assembly if properly instructed. :wink:

:!: Biggest Tip: Wear gloves while cutting the conduit, and definitely grind all sharp edges off the ends. Your knuckles, head, and campmates will thank you.
aranryan

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:18 am

aranryan wrote:I've done tons of research on the types of covers and found that although parachutes make for "ok" shade covers, they are terrible for dome covers due to the oven effect of the material, and the fact that they catch the wind. I'm leaning towards fabricating a custom fit cover from billboard vinyl and Temptrol. Less expensive and readily available.

Lived in my dome for a couple of months in Florida as an experiment in handicapped survival and had no "oven effect". Used a 20 dollar white parachute and kept the bottom edge clipped up a little off the ground for airflow.
Toolmaker

Return to Introduce Yourself!