Utah virgin about to lose his innocence

Utah virgin about to lose his innocence

Postby project » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:22 pm

Hello!

I've been thinking about going to Burning Man since I first heard of it in 2000, trouble is me and the sun are mortal enemies (thanks Irish ancestors!) but this year I just decided to go and see what happens.

When I first started going to raves in Utah in the late 90s the one thing that hooked me was how passionate the people going were. About the music, about the other people sharing the experience and about participating creatively. People actually dressed up in fun and creative outfits and made lots of new friends. But slowly the 20 something girls dressed in feather boas or referee uniforms gave way to 16 year olds wearing nothing but bra and panties and a sea of guys just looking to score some drugs and get laid. Ever since the creative life in that scene died I've been trying to find it somewhere else and the lack of passionate people around me has been very depressing.

But my friends have been talking to me about Burning Man lately so I thought I'd actually try checking it out. After reading countless sites and forums posts, and looking through pictures, I think I've found where all the cool kids who are fired up with artistic passion have been hanging out for the past 8 years and I'm excited for my first trip to Black Rock City.

If you actually made it through this post I'd like to say thanks! I'll either be at the Project Euphoria or Jellyfish 12000 camps. Come say hi and I might have a glass of hand made (if it can be called that) absinthe for you. :) You'll know its me by the fact I'll be covered head to toe even though its 100 degrees outside during the day.
project

Postby ragabashpup » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Welcome home. Sunscreen is key. I had never gotten a sunburn until I came to the playa and I lived on the beach for a month in the Florida Keys. Also bring a parasol or two so that you can wander around. Get a ridiculous wide brimmed hat.

So have your friends been to BRC before?

Btw wow Utah ouch... :wink:
ragabashpup

Postby brickmaster » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:04 am

Hi Project,

Being Irish I understand the concern. When it comes to skin colour I have only two modes 1) pasty white, or 2) pink. My main reason for not going to burning man in the past was the sun. Even as we pulled off the road and onto the playa I was thinking 'what the f**k am I doing here. I'll fry'. But I surprised myself and feel in love with the playa.
Buy a decent hat. Stay in shade during the day (Its actually a great way to meet people. Just ask if you can hang out because you are burning.) Drown yourself in sun cream. Keep energy levels high.
You'll be fine.
brickmaster

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:22 am

Ahem, RB-pup, I'm from Utah. We have a LOT of burners.

Project, I take it you know about E-11 and that tickets go on sale soon? The Utah burn is Most Excellent!
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby project » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

brickmaster: Thanks for tips on dealing with the sun. Its nice to hear that other people in my situation not only survived, but had a great time. It makes me feel a lot better.

ragabashpup: Yeah some of my friends have been going since 2001 and have a camp, this will be the first year for some of my other friends too. Between them they've got me convinced that BRC is the place for me :)

AntiM: I knew there was a local burn but I don't know anything about it. Where can I find details?
project

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:15 pm

antim - sorry *sulks away* i didn't know...
ragabashpup

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Don't sulk, Raga dear, come for a visit sometime.

Project, I sent you a PM about the burn. Soon, very soon.

AntiM

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:39 pm

Utah is one of the few states I haven't spent any time in. Maybe I need to pack up the kid and make a road trip one of these days.
ragabashpup

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Utah is like two states, Southern Utah has all the Red Rock Country and the National Parks, Northern Utah has the Great Salt Lake, Bonneville Salt Flats, skiing, the SunTunnels and the Spiral Jetty.

And Mormons, we have lots of those.

AntiM

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:45 pm

so which part do you recommend seeing or just all of the above.

the mormons scare me a bit.
ragabashpup

Postby project » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:48 pm

Just remember, the mormons are more afraid of you than you are of them. ;)
project

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:51 pm

Hee hee hee!

Project - so are you going to bring some fun costumes out to the playa?
ragabashpup

Postby CLARKcon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:14 am

Hello project! For sure- Bring/brought out some SPF 45. Was able to walk good stretches with nothin' cept pants with no problem from the sun, alas thought, doesn't make you invincible. Yeah---there a 'couple' raves out there. Went into the middle of like 1,500-2,000 person one that Paul Oakenfold was playing. I don't do drugs though, just got really hopped up on coffee and made my way to the middle of the crowd (took about 10 minutes). The heat was nuts and the electronic was good, with an occassional propane burst into the air. There are alot of loves out there man...get excited :D
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:09 am

10 minutes to the middle? you werent trying hard enough man.

Paul lays some awesome tracks down. Its hard to see all of the awesome talent playaside in one week.

But, I try
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby AntiM » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:49 am

Raga ... if you must choose, I'd go with Southern Utah, most specifically Arches, Zion, Bryce and the awesome state parks Goblin Valley and Kodachrome Basin. And there's Escalante, which is huge and better for deep hiking and camping. Also Capitol Reef and CAnyonlands, but they are as "spectacular." Not as crowded in the summer, either. And if you get down to Colorado, Mesa Verde is amazing.

But we're good up here too, I forget that I have one hell of a view out my front window.

AntiM

Postby ragabashpup » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 am

it is amazing that once you have lived somewhere long enough you forget about the beauty that attracted you there in the first place. I still try to appreciate the views here is WA as much as humanly possible.
ragabashpup

Postby project » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:47 am

raga- yeah im actually working on a couple costumes that should be pretty neat. ones a got bunch of cold cathode uv lamps attached to a bit of wire sculpture, and the others cyber/anime inspired with a bunch of tubes and wires. im hoping they turn out as interesting as i want them to be...
project

Postby BitterDan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:50 pm

The girls in Utah are so.... Mormon.

Seriously though, I've been to south Utah a couple of times and it was great! Hiked the Narrows at Zion, wandered thru the Hoodoos at Bryce Canyon, and skied the peaks of Brianhead. Beautiful country.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Return to Introduce Yourself!