Stupid Virgin Question

Stupid Virgin Question

Postby Beef_Pies » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:56 pm

2008 will be my virgin Burn (as I've already explained elsewhere), and as my stay on the Playa nears, I find that My excitement is mixed with trepidation.

I know several Burners - people who have gone only once, and some who have attended many times. Of the one-timers, some had a marvelous time, and some didn't enjoy themselves very much at all. As I read up on Burning Man, I inevitably encounter people saying things along the lines of, "Of course, you never really enjoy Burning Man until your third or fourth year."

My question is: Can someone please tell me if I'm going to have a good time at Burning Man or not?

Please note that my tongue is placed firmly in my cheek as I ask this last question.

My general impression is that if you approach Burning Man on its own terms, get your mind right about the heat, dust, levels of cleanliness, etc., you stand a pretty good chance of coming away from the whole thing with a positive experience under your belt <ahem>. If you let all the discomforts get under your skin, you're going to have a pretty miserable week.

True?

For the most part, excitement is overtaking trepidation. Sometimes, I just pick up my ticket and stare at it, grinning.

Side question: My ticket arrived with an "Atomic FireBall" hard candy. Do I need to present this at the gate with my ticket, or may I eat it?

Hope I'm silly enough for the Playa.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it too?"
--Douglas Adams
Beef_Pies

Postby Dork » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:17 pm

Nobody can say for sure whether you will enjoy yourself - this depends on your personality, how you approach the event, and what random experiences you happen to come across.

One common thread I've noticed in people who didn't like it is that they came expecting one specific thing. They thought it would be just a bunch of drugged out hippies, or everyone would be naked, or it would be some profound spiritual experience, or it would be some hard core survivalist thing, or whatever. All of these things exist out there, but there's a whole lot more mixed in. Most things you see in the default world are out there too, and the attendees are quite varied in their backgrounds and personalities.

Here's what I recommend to give yourself the best shot at a good experience:
Read the survival guides and such to make sure you are capable of being self-sufficient, but don't get too obsessed about it. You won't die instantly if you leave your chapstick and pee bucket at home.
Find a group to camp/work on a project with. Since you already have friends going, this should be easy.
Try not to set any expectations for what you'll find. Concentrate on keeping yourself physically and mentally ready (which is where the survival guide comes in) and just start exploring. Try a bunch of different things, talk to people, and see what interests you.

That thing that came with the ticket is not candy. It is an actual atomic fireball - you're supposed to bring it with you to the burn and throw it in a burn barrel at Noon on Friday. We're trying to push the Earth slightly further from the sun to cure global warming.
Dork

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:32 pm

How can you not have a good time at BM - I wouldnt worry about it Beef. I had a blast my first year and it is always a great time, even if "Last year" was better.

Burningman is different day and night. Make sure you get out there and see both.

Unlike many cities, where the night life winds down by 0200 - BM is still ramping up at 0200 in many places. Be as active as you can, see and do as much as you can.

Bring a bike so you can see and cover the ground as well. The city layout is being expanded - Distance from the man to the esplanade is increasing, and the city esplanade to outer street will be reduced So a bike is a necessity in my mind.

Have a blast and see you playa side.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:23 pm

Perhaps some of the people who didn't enjoy it, expected some kind of art and wine festival.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gyre » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Two people can enter at the same time and go different directions and have completely different experiences.
It helps to plan things, but be prepared to drop those plans and keep going to something else.
Some times you need to realize you're in the right place and stay where you are.
You often have to pass up several great things to do something else.
It can be a little frustrating.
We need a six week burning man.
And there is some luck involved.

Keep exploring.
gyre

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:19 am

This will be my tenth consecutive year and I've had great years (2003 and 2006 come to mind), not-so-great years (2000 for example) and all variations in between. My point is one of my best friends came with us on our initial burn in 1999 and hasn't been back since. Why? He suffered from nasal problems and the alkali dust made him positively miserable. He even wanted to leave after the second day and go back to Reno. But instead he just holed up in the RV and partied, often by himself. So the elements may well dictate whether or not you'll have a good time. I am really looking forward to 2008, but I always look forward. One thing is for certain: Burning Man was better last year.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby troyds » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:01 pm

Ok, ok, I'm going out on a limb here but I think that you are going to have a great time at Burning Man. I don't care if it is your first or fifteenth time. LOL!

Actually, it might cost you a lot of money and suck! Hehe! But you would really have bad "camppies" or hate desert camping.

Good luck,

T
troyds

Re: Stupid Virgin Question

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:19 pm

Beef_Pies wrote:My general impression is that if you approach Burning Man on its own terms, get your mind right about the heat, dust, levels of cleanliness, etc., you stand a pretty good chance of coming away from the whole thing with a positive experience under your belt <ahem>. If you let all the discomforts get under your skin, you're going to have a pretty miserable week.

True?

True. And may I venture that the magic of the event can best be grasped if one throws him/herself wholly into the ritual of preparation/road trip!/decoration/camp blingification/etc...! and then gets out and about seeing and doing what's there to be seen and done.

Oh yeah LOL Dork is right be vewwy careful with that Atomic Fireball : )
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby thirt33n » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:25 pm

"blingification"

Tiahaar, you're my favorite!

Blingification is KEY!
If you can't Blingify, find those who can, then watch and live and learn.

your life will be enriched.
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby BitterDan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:08 pm

I wouldnt go if I were you. :twisted:
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Tiahaar » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:02 pm

hehehehee :mrgreen:
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby hsdavis » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:08 am

I am very excited for you to be going to this organized insanity for the first time. I have found that if you have an open mind and, are an optimistic person, you will enjoy your week. If you come expecting to see a specific thing, like you might find at Disneyland, or are looking for a specific experience, like finding a date, you will be dissapointed. With an open mind you can find almost anything you're looking for----but not in the exact way you expected.
Last year, a coworker of mine told me that a relative of his had gotten tickets to attend Burning Man for the first time. I would consider this person to be a negative/pessamist who has never (and would never) attended BM. He had 20 reasons why this relative of his should not attend and effectively convinced her not to go. With absolutely no idea about what he was talking about, he was able to cancel her plans.
Go with nothing more than the expectation that you are going to have the time of your life, and you will!
Also, be very careful with the atomic fireball. I had a minor explosion last year that almost ruined my week.
hsdavis

Postby Beef_Pies » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:24 am

Thank you all for the input. My general plan is to take in as much as possible, meet as many people as possible, and stay up till dawn as much as possible. If I see something in the daily events list that seems irresistibly fascinating to me, I'll probably try to plan to go to it, but otherwise I just want to explore and go with the flow.

As to the 'hard candy' issue, the damn thing is giving me the willies now. I tried to let the dog have a sniff, but she just whimpered and backed away.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it too?"
--Douglas Adams
Beef_Pies

Postby gyre » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:39 am

Beef_Pies wrote:As to the 'hard candy' issue, the damn thing is giving me the willies now. I tried to let the dog have a sniff, but she just whimpered and backed away.
People have the same response to that candy.

Funny.
I never really noticed before.
gyre

Postby CLARKcon » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:06 pm

Hello Beef_Pies! Yeah, first year is rad---very deep, rich, and eye opening/internal awakening for me. Best advice is when get to the greeter station right before you enter the city is to do one mental/emotional tactic (and to sincerely mean it and cleanse it): To drop/leave behind all your expectations. That way, if you don't expect 'anything', then 'everything' is meant to happen and you're exactly where you should be doing exactly what you should be doing :D Other notes:
-Every year, we have camped next to the raddest, most diverse and open minded neighbors no matter where we set up...I have yet a year to camp next to folks who were not respecting or unpleasant.
-Each year (to me, 08' will be my sixth) is like a return to Neverland after the first year. You've tasted it, walked, and seen through it- like the continuation of a dream where the Universe (for one week) is timeless. Also feels like going through school (freshmen, sophmore, etc.) and the more you go, the more you know and find out what you like the most and can utilize your time.
- The atomic fireball is delicious, unless your diabetic :)
See you out in the dust ---CLARKcon
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby hollywallydoodle » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:24 pm

'you won't die instantly if you leave your chapstick and pee bucket at home.' —dork

hahahahahahahhahhaaaaaaahhhhh...you're cracking me up.

i might...those are two things i absolutely cannot live without.
hollywallydoodle

Postby gaminwench » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:32 pm

eeeeeaaatttt ttthhhheee cccaaaannnnnndddddyyyyyy.........
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:48 am

Haha
gyre

Postby Barbie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:47 am

Trust in the DOG
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby dr.placebo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:44 am

The importance of an open mind on the playa has been rightly emphasized. Opening your heart to this experience is also important. Welcome the stranger (the stranger the better) and allow yourself to be welcomed.
dr.placebo

Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby **burn** » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:48 pm

I have been a lurker and burner for a while.

Your question on whether you will have a good time or not ?
You can go to the most lavish party at a beuatiful location with incredible food and still have a bad time. It is completely up to you.

The freaky-deaky-er, the better.

burnbaby
**burn**

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:42 pm

The candy is the key to Burning Man. You must eat it on the playa to unlock the wild and wonderful secret bliss that awaits those who have The Key.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby amphibiac » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:The candy is the key to Burning Man. You must eat it on the playa to unlock the wild and wonderful secret bliss that awaits those who have The Key.

sucks for me...Sports Basement only gives you a paper ticket in exchange for a wad of cashola. No candy. I guess no key, either. :?
http://kmixlsg.blogspot.com/
burning man 2008 blog
amphibiac

Postby $h!ne » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:52 pm

This will be my first burn and I know I will have a good time. :D

As for you... *looks into crystal ball* Sorry, all I can see is playa dust...

*shrugs and walks out of thread*
$h!ne

Burning Since: 2008

Return to Introduce Yourself!