So. Cal new burner

So. Cal new burner

Postby Chaotic_Weevil » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:03 pm

Hey hey.

So my girlfriend and I are taking the plundge and coming this year for (obviously) the first time. I gotta tell you, this whole thing looks really daunting but we're really excited.

I'm hoping to bring my improv comedy group with me and put on some shows. It looks like, however, ya gotta get into one of these camps to do so. Any advice for someone who want to come entertain?
"The Dude abides."
Chaotic_Weevil

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Veteran of Bad Idea Theater since 2009

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:29 pm

Fuck that shit. Just do it as street theatre. I don't often say "It's Burning Man, no rules," but now it seems appropriate.

Honestly, if you find a venue that's looking for some sort entertainment, that's great, but just being willing to do it where ever twice a day you'll have fun and so will your audience.

In my humble opinion.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Chaotic_Weevil » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Sounds good to me. Guerrilla-style jackassery is our speciality. Is there a forum on here somewhere about the performing arts? It be cool to hear some stories.
"The Dude abides."
Chaotic_Weevil

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:01 pm

Welcome to eplaya fellow LA burner There is in fact an Art and Performance thread under the 2008 section on here. Feel free to check it out and post away over there! Good luck!!
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:55 pm

GREETINGS from san diego fellow so cal bunrer!
check out www.tribe.net there is a whole huge LA SD OC community there.... also i agree if you guys really want to do it make it a street act... 10 to one more people will watch it as a random playa act then stumble into your camp... i wanted to make a bar last year but did not have any tables or chairs or anything so i loaded my big black back pack up and walked out between esplanade and the man and started yelling at people through a bull horn to come drink at my bar.... and TA DA 40 people crouded around me i had a bar out of my bag, small dance floor and people playing chicken right there in the middle of the playa i made an impromptu to bar and dance club... i did not need a dj because they were all around us and you could see the whole city from where we were so it was a good view. good times i decied to do it again the next night and i got even more people like 60 to 80 so that just shows you the power of sitting down and yelling COME HAVE A DRINK AND DANCE... for you it could be COME WATCH ME AND MY BUDDIES WE WILL MAKE YOU LAUGH TILL YOU PISS YOUR SELF....:) if you really really want a camp there are lots on here and tribe..... or you can join up with Stag Camp if you like it is a group of loner campers that camp together everybody is welcome to come and go or change camps as they please....
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby ladonnahoo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:00 pm

[size=18][color=blue]Hi fellow So Cal Burner. I live very near you and know another burner in bellflower! We should get to know eachother and perhaps go together this year. 2008 will be my 6th burn unless you count last year as two. I have my ticket but havent figured out this years plan yet but nothing is gonna keep me from going. Last year I went alone and was miserable, any ideas. LaDonna, Santa Fe Springs[/color][/size]
LaDonna)'(oo
ladonnahoo

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:40 pm

Stag Camp! hee hee it is guys and gals... we all camp together cause we really did not want to camp alone last year... yeah where are you in So Cal?
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Chaotic_Weevil » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:27 pm

[quote="ladonnahoo"][size=18][color=blue]Hi fellow So Cal Burner. I live very near you and know another burner in bellflower! We should get to know eachother and perhaps go together this year. 2008 will be my 6th burn unless you count last year as two. I have my ticket but havent figured out this years plan yet but nothing is gonna keep me from going. Last year I went alone and was miserable, any ideas. LaDonna, Santa Fe Springs[/color][/size][/quote]

Hey, that's great. Who'd a thought there be another burner in sleepy boring ol' Bellflower? Yeah, we should exchange some info. I really like planning for stuff and this is the biggest "stuff" i've ever done so, I"m open to ideas and pooling resources. Wanna meet up with us at a Starbucks or my local watering hole? (the Hawaiian Room in Bellflower has some of the best, cheapest cocktails you'll find anywhere).
"The Dude abides."
Chaotic_Weevil

Postby ladonnahoo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:01 pm

SURE!!! When?? FYI, There is a group of Burners meeting TONIGHT, Wed at the GOAT in Costa Mesa, but thats pretty far. I know exactly where the Hawaiaan Room is though, lets do it, name the day!! There is also a BIG BUNNY event this w/e but its in the MOJAVE DESERT!! LaDonna
LaDonna)'(oo
ladonnahoo

Postby Redeye Raab » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:18 pm

I would have to agree with everyone here... I saw more shows and acts that were on the street then I did in camps! There are so many people at once at any given time of the day or night on the streets, that as long as you can yell or have a bullhorn you can get the publics attention! You gotta let me know when or where you plan on camping so I can roll by and see the show!
Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself!
Redeye Raab

Re: So. Cal new burner

Postby gyre » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:31 pm

Chaotic_Weevil wrote:Hey hey.

So my girlfriend and I are taking the plundge and coming this year for (obviously) the first time. I gotta tell you, this whole thing looks really daunting but we're really excited.

I'm hoping to bring my improv comedy group with me and put on some shows. It looks like, however, ya gotta get into one of these camps to do so. Any advice for someone who want to come entertain?

I have some improv ideas.
Email me (not pm) and we can talk.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Return to Introduce Yourself!