My first time.

My first time.

Postby ErickPortillo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:13 pm

i'm going for the firs time this year, i don't know much i been trying to gain as much information from this website as i can.
like exacly where do we camp? and can we use tents? or will it be too windy? so many questions! lol. well if anyone can reply with some help i'll appreciate it, thans.

By the way, hello from Los Angeles.
ErickPortillo

Postby ragabashpup » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:29 pm

erm you camp on the playa ;) not sure what you meant by that. My first year going my tent did break. I think that was because it was cheap when I bought it off of craig's list. So if you are going to use a tent use a nice one not a cheap piece o' crap. Also some people use the costco car ports as tents. Will you be camping with a group or by yourself?
ragabashpup

Postby falk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:52 pm

Definately read the survival guide and the first-timer's guide. A photo or a map of the city may help you visualize where you'll be. The center of the city is where the man will stand. The circular area at 6:00 is Center Camp where a lot of art and performances happen. The inner ring of the city is the Esplanade where the theme camps and more art can be found. The radial roads at 3:00, 4:30, 7:30, and 9:00 have more theme camps and art.

The city is divided into areas reserved in advance for theme camps and areas where camping is first-come-first-served. Pretty much everything within two blocks of the Esplanade and the four main radial roads is reserved for theme camps (shaded in blue on the map), and the rest is open. If you join an established camp (I highly recommend this for first-timers), then all you need to do is figure out where your camp-mates are when you arrive. If you go it alone, you just grab the first spot that looks good, isn't reserved for a theme camp, and isn't already occupied. It's rude to just move into someone else's camp, but if you camp next door, you'll likely quickly make friends.

You can use tents, RVs, yurts, teepees, quonset huts, conastoga wagons, geodesic domes or anything else your little heart desires (except underground missile silos -- no excavating allowed.) In fact, I recommend it. Get a good tent that seals up against the dust. Stake it down good. I mean really stake it down good.

The winds there can be hellacious. Worse than anything you've ever experienced before. AFAIK, nobody's ever actually been killed in a windstorm there, but it's really only a matter of time. Most of the time, the weather is glorious, but count on at least one bad windstorm while you're there.

Have you read the survival guide yet? Good. Now read it again.
falk

Return to Introduce Yourself!