Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Postby SPAGHETTI » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:47 pm

Im steve. Last year was my first burn where i was dubbed "cold spaghetti" not as cool a name as i wouldve liked. I live in san diego but camp with my friends from the austin regional for now. im going home again this year and am looking forward to meeting all 67999 of you.
SPAGHETTI

Burning Since: 2012

Postby kmarc29 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:48 pm

Hello, my name is Kevin. I'm going for the first time, have flight booked, no ticket yet. Gonna try and get lucky next week when they release more. Anyone looking to sell an extra. Email me at kmarc29@aol.com
thanks, cant wait
kmarc29

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: no

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 pm

I dunno. It seems to me that the name "Cold Spaghetti" is, inherently, very, very, very cool.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi Kevin! Good luck with the ticket.

Hi Spaghetti! Why did they call you that? :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby jfb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Hello burners!
Jason here. I had initially planned to introduce myself after I had gotten a ticket at today's OMG Sale, but tickets sold out even though I was there right at noon. (Darn waiting queue!). Best Laid Plans Have Been Thwarted Again! I'm typing the rest of this as I feel slightly depressed from missing out on OMG...so play the world's smallest fiddle for me will ya?

I've been looking forward to BM for 10 years but the timing & finances were never quite right. 2 weeks ago I learned I would have the time & funds, and was going to reward myself a graduation-present BM trip for returning to college after 17 years and finishing my CS degree. So I preregistered for OMG and soaked up all the goodness from these forums (esp. Galaxy/Monkey Hut discussions and Figjam's swamp cooler). I actually stumbled across the eplaya forums (thanks to Elliot's great Millicent Chronicles) while researching Skoolie projects for future road trips. There are so many talented and amazing people in this community and I can't wait to meet you all!

Fun Playa Skills: I love entertaining folks with music, either via saxophone serenading, or playing my lounge-ified classic rock covers on piano. I'm a ham on stage, especially when karaoke is involved. I like to dance ballroom and latin dance, and may grab a random tango/salsa/bachata partner with whom to strut around the playa at sunset.

If I don't manage to score a ticket for this year, at least 2015 is only a year away :)

See you all at the <some unspecified year> Burn!
jfb

Postby HEATHER_INVICTUS » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Heather & I'm from the Central Valley of California! I'm 23. This will be my first burn! I'm sooo excited. I'm coming alone in my small car, & I haven't found a camp yet but I also just bought my ticket today in the OMG last chance sale. I'm not sure if I'm ready for this, but I can't wait for this new experience! :mrgreen:
HEATHER_INVICTUS

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi Jason! Keep your eyes on the Tickets Offered forum, join your regional email lists from the homepage, and don't forget to tell everyone you know that you're still looking. 1-2 weeks before the Burn sometimes strange things can happen. People get hired suddenly, folks break a leg, stuff happens. And when it does, no one wants to get stuck with a $400 ticket they can't use, know what I mean? I hope it works out for you.

Heather, congratulations! Look in the 2014 Theme Camp section if you really want a camp (it's not a must). There are camps in there recruiting as we speak. Look for something that fits your personality and write them about your skill set and why you like them. Choose carefully (a group shade is the most helpful thing, showers are probably a close second). Note that if you can stake a tent and shade on you're own, you might be just as happy finding your own way and making friends with neighbors, and just visiting theme camps whenever you feel like it. :)

Savannah

Postby countinglampposts » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 am

Hi Burners, my name is Chris and I am a hugger. If anyone wants a hug I will be giving them away in excess at the festival. I have always found hatred of any kind to be a useless time sink.

I work as a game developer based out of Seattle (East Side). Currently I have my own laboratory at work where I experiment with Virtual Reality (that stuff is every bit as cool as it sounds). But beyond that I am a traveller, drifter, couchsurfer, host, hitchhiker, tour cyclist, and thru hiker. I pride myself in my ability to put all hazards aside and pursue what I want (even when it gets me in trouble). As for burning man, this will be my first time. Up until now I have only been to a Burning Seed in Australia and a few smaller camp events in NYC.

I am very excited but things are looking rather rough for me. Up until earlier this week I had plans to go to the festival in a camper van with a friend. Now I am finding myself with no ride and no camp. Every camp I have looked at has been full at this point and I don't know anyone going to the event who can help me. Even if I find no camp and have to bake in the sun and be miserable, I will be going. However I really would rather not have to do that so if anyone knows of any camps looking for more people let me know.

Also, I have a spare ticket and parking pass I'm looking to sell. If you are interested in buying PM me. Include something about your greatest personal fear. I want to get to know the person I will be selling the ticket to :)
countinglampposts

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Chris! :)

You have the right attitude--prepare to go alone if you have to. But there are still some theme camps looking for campers, here among other places:
https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewforum.php?f=364

The Burner Express bus can help you get in, and there is a bus camp area:
http://burnerexpress.com/

As can Green Tortoise (they have a camp, too):
http://www.greentortoise.com/adventure- ... ivals.html

Check your PMs in a bit . . .

Welcome! :)

Savannah

Postby Totskey » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Hello all, my name is Jonathan and i have been wanting to attend for some time now. I had hoped to attend this year but things with work were not quite working for me, so i am putting the funds and gear i have to the side till next year. So, as of now next year will be my virgin burn. I'm supper sad that i couldn't make it this year though, but i will probably be attending the event in October as kind of a kick-starter. :D
Totskey

Postby demeter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:05 am

Hello!

I'm Demeter. I was gifted that name at Alchemy: The Georgia Burn a few years ago. I've been to 2-3 Alchemys, 2 Scorched Nuts, and I'll be going to Mosaic in Ohio after BM this year.

I'm part of the Cincinnati Burner community called the KOIpound which is actually a lot larger than one could expect. We have this cool warehouse in the middle of Over the Rhine. If you don't know what that is:
    is believed to be the largest, most intact urban historic district in the United States
    contains the largest collection of Italianate architecture in the United States
    NeighborhoodScout.com ranks Over-The-Rhine as the number one most dangerous in the United States based on violent crime (murder, non-negligent manslaughter, rape, armed robbery, and aggravated assault)
    The site says you have a 1 in 4 change of becoming a victim of crime in OTR over the course of one year

It's a great place. We throw one-night-burns monthly and weekly spin jams/workshops.

Every year, there is a group of burners from this community that make it out to the Man. This year, that group seems to be a little bit smaller.... but I am so happy to be a part of it! Technically, I'm coming out to the Playa alone (unless my two cousins can find tickets and join me!) but it's nice to know I'll have a few faces I recognize near me to keep an eye out and vice versa!

See you in the dust near 9:15 and F!

:)
demeter

Camp Name: Stag Camp!!

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:14 am

Welcome to ePlaya, demeter!

You're part of the KOI pound? Good burners there, at least the ones I've met that have made it to Interfuse. You know saint Al? Good guy.

One question though: fill us in on what "Mosaic" is. Is it the KOI Pound decom?
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby xs2burnburn » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:19 pm

Playa Name (if you have one) : gosunkilmoon

Number of times to the playa (none is ok) : None

Any art/music camp affiliations : South-bay Burners United and Couch-burners

Volunteer/work plans : Camping with Couch-burners and cleaning for one
day. Also, volunteering by playing music for 4 hrs

Personal/ spiritual goals : To achieve personal freedom by being
honest in what say, accepting others as they are without expecting
anything to change, communicating without assumption and giving my
best to whatever I am doing. I struggle to detach myself from
situations and I my goal is to have a better understanding of my
struggle while being myself in playa.

Why the playa is home : I have attended multiple local events
organized by burners. It will be my first, but I know that my heart
belongs there. The kind of people meet already makes me want to make
it my annual pilgrimage.
xs2burnburn

Camp Name: Couchburners

Postby Tiny Bones » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi there Burners! My name is Bones! You could also call me Skeleton (Arianna is default). 21 years old, this will be my first experience out on the playa, and I couldn't be more excited! I'm coming from St. Louis, Missouri along with my boyfriend (another first time burner) and his brother, Major Ruckus (Burning vet). I'll be camping at S'mores and Amour at 2:30 B! We will be arriving early and we're bringing the Tardis Art Car with us!! Some of you might be familiar with it! I'm one with my camera, and to the several warnings I've had to not bring a camera out to the playa and have it out all day, I can't just let it sit at home and collect dust! I will be documenting my first experience at Burning Man this year to hopefully make myself a nice photo/video album to remember everything by. I can't wait to say hello and make plenty of friends on the playa!
Teensy tiny little bones.
Tiny Bones

Camp Name: S'mores and Amour

Postby ^Rhino! » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:06 pm

welcome to ePlaya, bones! As life would have it, I'm from Columbia, just an hour and a half west from you. Hope to see you on-playa!
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

^Rhino!

Postby Red Eco » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:41 am

G'day,

Just thought I'd drop by and say hello. This year will be me and the missus' very first burn. I have been dreaming/scheming about coming to Burning Man for as long as I can remember really, and we finally have the opportunity to do it.

So what can I say about us? We hail from Melbourne, Australia (though I was originally born in Johannesburg, South Africa). My wife is an architect and I am currently working on a PhD in political science (and doing a bit of research and consulting work on the side). We are both 31. We both love art. My wife is particularly interested in visual art and design (of course), and my passions lie in music and creative writing (or any writing really).

Never been to any regional burns (or similar), but we have a festival down here called Rainbow Serpent, which I attend every year without fail. We are starting to see a few theme camps at Rainbow, as well as a 'Leave No Trace' ethos.

Looking forward to seeing you all on the playa this year.

Cheers big ears.

Marty
Red Eco

Postby demeter » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:36 am

^Rhino! wrote:Welcome to ePlaya, demeter!

You're part of the KOI pound? Good burners there, at least the ones I've met that have made it to Interfuse. You know saint Al? Good guy.

Nope!

Mosaic is their newest burn! Last year was the first year for it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend due to a friends' wedding, but it happens in Rutland, OH. This year it will be Oct. 2-5!

See:
http://www.mosaicexperiment.com/
demeter

Postby wenchi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi folks, I'm Wenchi!

A friend from the FB Burning Man Classifieds directed me here to find the tickets forum, as I'm looking to come out to Burning Man for my first time this year! My boyfriend went last year, and we are really looking forward to going together by putting all the correct ducks in a row ;)

Pleasure to meet you all!

<3 Wenchi
wenchi

Camp Name: Aoxomoxoa

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:41 am

demeter wrote:

Nope!

Mosaic is their newest burn! Last year was the first year for it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend due to a friends' wedding, but it happens in Rutland, OH. This year it will be Oct. 2-5!

See:

KOI Burners, do they still put on Scorched Nuts? Same venue?
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby demeter » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:33 pm

^Rhino! wrote:
demeter wrote:

Nope!

See:

KOI Burners, do they still put on Scorched Nuts? Same venue?

Yes! That one is in the spring.
demeter

Postby Traveling pants » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:51 am

Hello there,
I'm a frist time burner I just graduated so I'm hoping to find a ticket and come visit the festival and enjoy this awesome culture, I'm from Corvallis Oregon

I hope I find the ticket and a ride and meet all the awesome people there..

cheers :D
Traveling pants

Burning Since: 1989

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Traveling pants wrote:Hello there,
I'm a frist time burner I just graduated so I'm hoping to find a ticket and come visit the festival and enjoy this awesome culture, I'm from Corvallis Oregon

I hope I find the ticket and a ride and meet all the awesome people there..

cheers :D

Don't go anywhere without reading this first (as you may know):
http://survival.burningman.com/

Getting both a ticket and a ride this late in the game is a tall order, but if you do get that ticket suddenly, you might wanna fly to Reno and get matched up with a ride from the airport. Usually people flying in need to stop and buy food and water anyway. Be ready to help pay gas.

http://www.burningman.com/participate/airplayainfo.html

Or try the rideshare link, but don't bother asking for ride until you have a ticket. People without tickets should not head for the event, the whole car will be turned from the Gate and everyone in it is screwed. No Burn for anyone.

http://rideshare.burningman.com/

Regional mailing lists also sometimes yield rides or tickets:
http://regionals.burningman.com/

Best of luck to you!

Savannah

Postby jasonk » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:56 am

Hi all, Jason, from CT, burgin, though I've hung-out on-and-off with the community periodically for years. I'll be camping with the CT Swamp Yankees, inside Barbie Death Village (6:30 & E).

I'm going because I like...spectacle, both being it (I do a lot of acting), and watching it...art (used to do a bunch of drawing/painting/sculpting/etc)...fire and flashy lights (learning to do LED poi)...hanging out with fun, crazy people...dancing with abandon (if my ankle sprain will let me)...singing (though I'm terrible)...nature...expanding personal boundaries...I'm an experientialist...and I want to meditate in the desert/temples.

Normally I'll do anything and wear anything, anywhere, no matter how strange or out-of-place, dead sober, if I think it's fun. When I'm in costume/makeup after an acting gig, Ren Faire, etc, I always go out in public to diner, bar, etc.

Though with my compressed schedule getting ready for BM, you may not see much (any?) crazy dress out of me. Since my old backpacking gear is either gone or unsuitable, I've had 5 weeks to fit in going from "not owning anything I need" to figuring out what I need, buying it, and figuring out how I'm getting it to BRC.
jasonk

Camp Name: Swamp Yankees inside Barbie Village

Postby MarkJay » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:17 am

My name is Mark. I've never been to Burning Man. I'm a father of two pre-teens and a business guy. I'm experimenting with Social-capitalism with my eight businesses and it's working. My goal in the operations is sustainability rather that return on investment. I've been told by a number of Burners that I'm putting into practice, the best practicable alternative to the current purely-capital based system we have in place in most of the world. I would like to attend this year to become a part of the Share community and give all I can and perhaps take away some insight on how to continue the effort to hold off the advance of corporate domination. Thanks!
MarkJay

Postby do-epic-shit girl » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:11 am

HI! I'm Julie.
First-time burner this year...on the 7-day Green Tortoise trip.....and I'm freaking out!
I have a costume, I have a bike....decorated (yay!) Hope I brought enough fix-it supplies!! (gasp!) I over-packed, and have to lighten my load...The WORST part is that I only made a handful of necklaces to gift! (I'm so proud of the cute little things, though!---should have made more!)

I have been looking forward to this for 2 years....and now I'm getting ANXIOUS! Has anyone been on the green tortoise bus trip to BM before?
I was wondering if there were any hints to what was involved at the camp? I have been on their trips to Yosemite 3-day, but we stayed on the bus. how do we react...as a camp? does everyone pitch in with the same enthusiasm as a "regular" trip? aaack! any help?
do-epic-shit girl

Camp Name: green tortoise

Postby Sham » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:42 am

Hi Julie and WELCOME. No gifts are required. Just bring your wide eyed wonder and an open mind. Everything else will fall into place.
See you on the playa!!

Sham....
Sham

Postby OatmealMama » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:58 pm

/me takes a big breath of virgin air...
OatmealMama

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Envy-NOT the 1 on the Playa! - MRAC

Postby davidavich » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:31 am

My name is Pumpkin Head and I'm with Blazing Death Ship and the Wellspring of Mim and I am looking to return to the Burn after a one-year sad hiatus. I need a ticket (at face value)! With love, PH.
davidavich

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Blazing Death Ship

Postby gemeaux302 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:09 am

Hi there everyone!

My name is Gemmy and I'm planning to make 2015 my first Burning Man although I've been planning it in my head since at least 2010! I'm originally from the Caribbean but have been living in the US on the east cost for about 10 years now.

I'll likely be looking for a camp since none of my friends get why I am the least bit interested in attending this event. I'm honestly not too clear on that myself, but from everything I've learned, it seems like something I would enjoy tremendously, what with the art and sense of community, yet relative anonymity and glorious lack of inhibitions...it just sounds like a mixed bag of all my favorite things!

I've been looking at Green Tortoise so Julie I'd love to hear about your experience once you get back. I can only IMAGINE the thrill in the run up!

East Coast burners hit me up!
gemeaux302

Burning Since: 2015

Postby Roseweed » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Hello !!! My name is Chery and I am from Wyoming :) Read about Burning Man a few years ago and recently it popped into my mind and started checking it out online to find when it actually was held. Needless to say OMG its next week! Never have attended but I am soooo going next year!(with the exception that the tickets don't sell out before I buy them. lol) Ever since I recently started researching online about Burning Man , I cannot get it out of my mind. Log in everyday on my Fb to get updates on the events and whats all going on atm. Although , it wont be till next year that I plan to attend, I am so excited!!!!! Cant stand that I am not attending it THIS year, but like Haicyon says "It's only a year away" :) Looks amazing and am looking forward to meeting people of like mind , spirit, and heart. I think I found HOME <3
Roseweed

Burning Since: 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!