Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Postby jasminediaz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Hello, my name is Jasmine and I am 20 years old. I am currently living in the Inland Empire, but want to go up north in a year or two . This will be my first Burning Man and I must say, I am totally stoked. Being able to go to Burning Man is going to be the best experience ever.
jasminediaz

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:19 am

Welcome to ePlaya, Jasmine! You may want to start by reading the First-Timer information, specially the Survival Guide, on the main web page. And sign up for Jack Rabbit Speaks -- the e-newsletter.
Then you want to participate in various discussions here. :D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby lengen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:45 pm

Hello from the Great White North,
My name is Leighton; my wife and are planning to make it down this year for our first Burning Man experience. It is going to take us about 2 days to road trip down from Alberta; hoping to stay a night in Spokane and then continue on to either Alturas or Cedarville for one last stop before we reach Black Rock City. We have been following ePlaya for the past 6 months reading many of the threads and the articles from the main web page. We are not sure whether to look into a theme camp for our first go or try it on our own. Many decisions to be made before august comes!
Thanks!
Leighton & Tessa
lengen

Postby Elliot » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:29 pm

Welcome Leighton & Tessa!
First of all, read this thread: https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 65&t=68224

Then be sure you have subscribed to the Jack Rabbit Speaks e-newsletter. It sounds like you have already found the Survival Guide and other First-Timer Information?

Elliot

Postby lengen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Thanks Elliot!
We've received a couple issues of the Jack Rabbit already and read the survival guide and the First-timers info as well! We really enjoy reading your posts throughout ePlaya they have been very helpful. We are compiling a couple packing lists right now that we have found in ePlaya and the web, making sure we will be prepared as possible.

Cheers
L & T
lengen

Postby Elliot » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 pm

lengen wrote:Thanks Elliot! ... We really enjoy reading your posts throughout ePlaya ...
Cheers
L & T

Very good. I don't mind when people laugh at my expense, so long as they laugh. :wink:

Elliot

Postby avasoul » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Hey there, I'm just a person...who is compelled to attend BM2014 for the first time after watching family and friends pave the way. Attended Symbiosis 2012 Pyramid Eclipse and it was like camping on an asteroid during a sand storm but with really good music and art, I LOVED IT! Looking forward to similar experience at BM2014...maybe with a bit more music, art and people.
Thing is I seek peeps, sisters & brothers, family to make my experience even better. So if anyone needs a little sister in their tribe, I'm a great choice! It's so much more fun with common goals and tribal participation.
So within the past 6 months I've gotten robbed, been dumped, quit my job, quit smoking & drinking coffee and am living at home with my wonderful mother AliceinWonderland, who raised me in wonderland & as contrary as possible.
I've heard about people attending the burn and changing their lives for the better after being shown alternatives to the norm, I sorta reversed that order and have changed my mind about what life truly is about and am not willing to waste away in the rat race any longer. I'd wager attending BM2014 would be the cherry on top of my dairy free sundae!
Peace, love & Pug hugs to you all!
Oh and I've decided on becoming A Vessel to all the world has to offer and I believe puns are the greatest form of humor..so I renamed myself AvaSoul. :D
Attachments
taco cat.jpg
I <3 TACOS
taco cat.jpg (45.63 KiB) Viewed 455 times
"Where have all the flowers gone?"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
--C.S. Lewis
avasoul

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Bakka seven:30

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, Avasoul! I suggest you participate in the various conversations here, and you will get to know all sorts of people.
And be sure to read the First-Timer Information -- specially the Survival Guide. It's very much "an asteroid" out there! :lol:
Also subscribe to Jack Rabbit Speaks, the e-newsletter.
I also recommend introducing yourself a bit more, such as entering an avatar portrait and home town. That always helps establish communication.
:D

Elliot

Postby Howitzer73 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:35 pm

Elliot wrote:Image

Whoohoo!
Howitzer73

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:20 pm

jasminediaz wrote:Hello, my name is Jasmine and I am 20 years old. I am currently living in the Inland Empire, but want to go up north in a year or two . This will be my first Burning Man and I must say, I am totally stoked. Being able to go to Burning Man is going to be the best experience ever.

Welcome, Jasmine!

If you set foot on the playa, you're guaranteed an adventure. "Best ever" will depend on many things. :)

Welcome, Leighton & Tessa! Welcome, Avasoul. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Daydre » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:20 pm

Hey everyone! After several years of lurking, researching, planning, and obsessively reading just about every thread of the the boards I finally decided to register as an actual member. I made it out to the desert for the first time last year from Alaska (gloriously over-prepared) and got to briefly meet the beautiful Savannah. Looking forward to doing it even better in 2014...with about half the stuff. Anyway, thanks for listening, see you all in August!
Daydre

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Chriseb04 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Hey all, my name is Chris and I'm a Birgin. I'll be flying solo to this years Burn. I reside in upstate Ny and am looking to learn as much as I can before the Burn. Words can't explain the excitement. I'm hoping I'll be one of the lucky ones to get a ticket this Wednesday. If any fellow NYers catch this, send me a pm or email me I'd like to meet, chat, ect. I'm looking forward to going to some east coast regionals also.
Chriseb04

Postby Elliot » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, Chris!

Elliot

Postby Auntie M » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Howdy, dammit. Auntie M (stands for Auntie Marcy) here. Not to be confused with the amazing and awesome AntiM, who does such good work on ePlaya.

I will be volunteering with the Greeters on Playa this year, and am so stoked about it I can hardly stand myself!
Glad to meet everyone, and I look forward to hugging the isht out of everyone I possibly can come August.
Auntie M

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Gypsy Flower-Power

Postby Elliot » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:49 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, Marcie!

Elliot

Postby JollyMan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 am

Welp, I guess to begin. My name is Ben B.E Binks, i'm 24(will be 25 for BM, bday is Aug17) This is my first time attending Burning Man and I am extremely excited. I was suppose to attend Burning Man 5 years ago but well, I got cancer. Now I don't look for pity, because I survived. And I this has been my dream for many years! I am going at this alone, because I feel like its the only way I will experience this as who I am. (We all change around people at times, I am pretty dang over it) I am excited to meet you all! I will be the one(probably of many) wearing a shirt saying Free Hugs! So please, take some hugs. And for the first time in my life I plan on spontaneously reciting poetry i've written over the years to the folks on the playa. I can't wait for all the beauty, all the freedom and all the fire.

Unfortunately I was literally 15mins late on getting a ticket this past WED so I am on the prowl!! I will get this ticket, because I will live this dream, in celebration of LIFE! Mine and all the folks who have defeated the same villain.

Please PM me, talk to me, I am willing to learn and am so open to ideas. Anything to make my experience comfortable and exciting. :mrgreen:

If anyone is near me when I take off to the playa I could also use a buddy to drive with! <3 HappyDays and Blessed Be folks.

-Ben Binks :D
JollyMan

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:06 am

Welcome, Mr. Binks. I'm happy to read your enthusiasm. Many people love free hugs!

As for that ticket, get into the STEP as soon as it's open (not announced yet) and also tell everybody you know you're looking for a ticket.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby hayam89 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:33 am

Hey there, my name's Jamie. I'm hailing from Dublin Ireland and am a noob to this particular festival, but after being shown some of the photography from past BMs,I've been planning for the trip and haven't shut up about it since missing out on last years. For me, introspection thrives in these environments, absolutely loving the vibe, not too mention the ethos. Unfortunately, missed out on the individual ticket sales this year but will keep at it of course. life... finds a way O.°
Had my heart set on burning this mutha but missed the cut. Travelling from dublin, Ireland and any ticket offered my way would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Odin Provide!
hayam89

Postby The_Grue » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Good afternoon, friend.

I last burned in 2009, and I understand that since then everything has changed.

Okay.

I came here looking for a specific piece of information (whether STEP would be reselling vehicle passes) and then realized I was doing a silly thing. So now I am participating.

You are standing in an open field to the west of a white house with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

>
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
The_Grue

Burning Since: 2009

Postby RobertFXDB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:32 pm

Hello Everyone! I'm Robert. I am a Fish and Wildlife Biologist for the Summit Lake Paiute Tribe. Spring through fall I work at Summit Lake, about another 2 hours north of the Black Rock Playa on the way to the town of Denio. I guess I'm pretty fortunate in that regard as I get to spend a lot of time exploring the area almost year-round. My weekly commute takes me right past the playa! The downside? I've seen Black Rock City rising up from the dust year after year but have never entered; only looking down sadly from the hill above and wondering, sending good thoughts to my old friends there, feeling the pull. I'm breaking that pattern in 2014 and am determined to participate :) Out of everything I'm mostly looking forward to the Temple and honoring a very, very dear loved one there this year. Hoping to embrace the pain, say goodbye to it, and watch it melt away into the sky. It's going to be a good burn. Thanks for letting me introduce myself.
“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure." - Edward Abbey
RobertFXDB

Postby aserendipity » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Hello !

so glad to hear from you..

And Robert , I hope you give some feedback regarding the different vantage points you experience.
And Robert , I hope you don't mind me borrowing the passage from e.Abbey it is a fine one for now.

xoA.
aserendipity

Postby RobertFXDB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:46 pm

aserendipity wrote:And Robert , I hope you give some feedback regarding the different vantage points you experience.
And Robert , I hope you don't mind me borrowing the passage from e.Abbey it is a fine one for now.

Great idea! I'll need to look around and see what an appropriate forum might be to do a little writing. It's only been a few years and I've already gathered up a few good stories from the Black Rock.

I'm sure that Cactus Ed meant to give his words to all of us and that, somewhere, he'd be happy if you used it. I don't mind at all.
“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure." - Edward Abbey
RobertFXDB

Postby aserendipity » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Maybe speak to Rhino at the Beacon and roll it all into our news.
aserendipity

Postby RobertFXDB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:50 pm

aserendipity wrote:Maybe speak to Rhino at the Beacon and roll it all into our news.

Will do that. Have been checking out some of their info on the net. The Beacon may be a good volunteer opportunity as well.
RobertFXDB

Postby aserendipity » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Robert, Try becoming a ranger since you are totally qualified and it is great interaction
aserendipity

Postby RobertFXDB » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:16 am

aserendipity wrote:Robert, Try becoming a ranger since you are totally qualified and it is great interaction

I've actually been really interested in that as well, but have been unsure because of my virgin status. Aside from that I'd say personality-wise it would be a good fit and I am, with all humility, qualified on a few other levels. I'll need to get in touch with the Rangers and see where it goes from there.

I'm beginning to think there's a really good reason why serendipity is part of your name ;)
RobertFXDB

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:53 am

Alas, the first thing you'll need to do in order to become a ranger is to get a couple years of Burning Man experience under your belt (I believe you currently have to have participated twice before you can apply). You may want to consider volunteering with the Temple Guardians (who watch over that space through the course of the event), or better still I recommend that people in their first year keep scheduled responsibilities to a minimum. There are hundreds of walk-up volunteering opportunities on the playa, though - so as you have the time and energy on any given day, you can jump in, participate, and help make a difference. Lamplighters is wonderful, as is the BRCPO (they always need a hand delivering mail and packages, plus you get to meet people and explore the city). There's also a job bank of sorts that's set up at (or right next to) the playa info tent near center camp. Anybody who needs help can post something, and anyone who wants to help can pitch in and help on a project.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:57 am

Robert, since my name was mentioned, I'm listening in on this conversation. By the way, thanks for all the work you do...I understand people are now able to trout fish for the Lahontan Cutthroat Trout in Pyramid Lake, thanks to the Pyramid Lake Band of the Paiute Nation. Ten pounders and more. Well done.

I'd also suggest that you get in touch with Earth Guardians. They have very valuable purpose and intent on the playa (plus they're good people). Trilo has good advice...pay attention to it.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby aserendipity » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:25 pm

Robert, Please contact Rangers , yes I did read Trilo' message but just give a try.

My name is Aserendipity for a good reason because I am from the time before the time of definition of how to do it right

xoA.
aserendipity

Postby Yolo_Fairy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:08 am

Hey everyone :D my name is Yolan but I'm also known as Yo or Yolo. I'm from Melbourne Australia. I'll be 24 when I hit the Playa for the first time this year!

I've been involved in both the Australian and New zealand regional burns, Burning Seed and KiwiBurn for the past 2 years, mainly on the Gate Crews at those events. At this stage I'm flying in Solo so am hoping to befriend some of you before I arrive!

Honestly didn't think I'd get a ticket because so many people I know have missed out in the past! So so so excited OMG! XD
Yolo_Fairy

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!