Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Postby Elliot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:11 am

Aurorealis wrote:Salutations Hello Hi!! I'm Aurorealis, joining the fleet of new Burners :) Stripped down to the essentials: I am a runner and I have a dragonfly tattoo on my back (my first tattooversary is coming up, March 15!) and I like keeping my mind nice and pliable :idea:

Salutations right back at ya, and Welcome to ePlaya! There are running events at Burning Man, including, I think, some sort of marathon. I also see folks running on their own around the perimeter of the city in the mornings. Lots of room. The perimeter fence is almost nine miles. :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby ZanSuzanna » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:13 am

Hello!

I'm Suzanna, I'm 20 (21 by August 21st!) and I'm from England but right now I live in Mexico studying at UNAM. Hopefully this will be my first year at Burning Man if I get tickets (I don't know how easy that is!). Unfortunately it seems impossible to upload an avatar! But I am blonde and like to take silly pictures 8)

So, yeah, hi everyone :D
ZanSuzanna

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Elliot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:22 am

ZanSuzanna wrote:Hello!

I'm Suzanna, I'm 20 (21 by August 21st!) and I'm from England but right now I live in Mexico studying at UNAM. Hopefully this will be my first year at Burning Man if I get tickets (I don't know how easy that is!). Unfortunately it seems impossible to upload an avatar! But I am blonde and like to take silly pictures 8)

Welcome to ePlaya, ZanSuzanna! You will get a ticket, no worries. Even if you don't get one in the regular sale, you will get one later.
To upload your avatar, the picture needs to be a maximum of 150 pixels each way. Could that be the problem? If you have not yet learned how to "resize" a photo, there are plenty of people here who can do it for you, or better yet teach you, including me. If you already have an avatar picture at 150x150 pixels (or a little less), let us know where in the process it seems to hang up.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby ZanSuzanna » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:42 am

Elliot wrote:
ZanSuzanna wrote:Hello!

Welcome to ePlaya, ZanSuzanna! You will get a ticket, no worries. Even if you don't get one in the regular sale, you will get one later.
To upload your avatar, the picture needs to be a maximum of 150 pixels each way. Could that be the problem? If you have not yet learned how to "resize" a photo, there are plenty of people here who can do it for you, or better yet teach you, including me. If you already have an avatar picture at 150x150 pixels (or a little less), let us know where in the process it seems to hang up.

I'm not sure! I made the picture low quality so it was less than 200kb (of whatever the limit is) and resized it to 150x150 but it didn't work! I'll have another go later :)
ZanSuzanna

Postby Elliot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:52 am

Did you hit the Submit button? We humans tend to overlook the darnest things.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby ZanSuzanna » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:50 pm

Finally managed it!
ZanSuzanna

Postby Elliot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Aha! The English lady is the Duchess of Bath. (And you know how to pronounce Bath, and where it is.) :D

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Aurorealis » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks Elliot! Some friends of mine ran a 50-ish kilometer ultra there last year, this year may require a redux of that :)
Aurorealis

Postby 9ah » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:44 pm

Welcome. Run the ultra, it was my first LONG distance race & it's a fun bunch. :coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby vpig6 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi,
my names Victoria Vargas
this will hopefully be my first year going to burning man
I turned 21 this year and want to experience this event for the first time, feel that the time is right to be enlightened by the experiences and individuals.
I am very excited about doing this...I am ready.

any tips, thanks. :mrgreen:
vpig6

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Welcome!!!

Tips: read everything in the preparation thread! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby jola » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:13 am

Hi, I'm Jola, I'm in northern California. I'll be turning 33 during BM this year and plan to be celebrating on the Playa. Figuring out which friends are going this year and who to caravan with, how to fit so much stuff in my vehicle, etc, lol So glad I"m starting this journey in January and not, say, July!
jola

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:38 pm

Welcome Aurorealis, ZanSusanna, Victoria and Jola! :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby HazelRae » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Hello! I'm Hazel Rae. This is my Playa name as well as my Craft name ;). This year will be my third year. Luckily I live in Lake Tahoe, so Burning Man is a close landed blessing <3. I am 22, working on my Environmental Science degree, and a 9 year practicing witch.
I'm happy I finally made an account here hehehe. Took me long enough. Im looking forward to getting to know you all more. :D
HazelRae

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Elliot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:51 pm

HazelRae wrote:Hello! I'm Hazel Rae. This is my Playa name as well as my Craft name ;). This year will be my third year. Luckily I live in Lake Tahoe, so Burning Man is a close landed blessing <3. I am 22, working on my Environmental Science degree, and a 9 year practicing witch.
I'm happy I finally made an account here hehehe. Took me long enough. Im looking forward to getting to know you all more. :D

Welcome, HazelRae! And please brace yourself for an onslaught of puns and wisecracks about your name. All in good fun, I'm sure.
Jump into various discussions and socializing here on ePlaya!

Let's now see what little I know.... Witches often practice their craft skyclad, right?

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Pozer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Aurorealis wrote:Thanks Elliot! Some friends of mine ran a 50-ish kilometer ultra there last year, this year may require a redux of that :)

I'm working on getting my lazy butt back into shape after knee surgery in September. Not sure if a 50k is in my future, but a shorter race might be a fun addition to the playa experience.
"In wisdom gathered over time, I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." --Ansel Adams
Pozer

Camp Name: Blood Bath & Beyond

Postby HazelRae » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:22 am

Let's now see what little I know.... Witches often practice their craft skyclad, right?
[/quote]

Jokes about my name? Really? Hahaha I don't think I can think of any jokes for my name.
Haha and yeah, that is very common. I personally prefer lace and silk myself ;)
HazelRae

Postby Elliot » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:33 am

Witch Hazel, the plant?

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby HazelRae » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:46 am

Oh! Opps! I didn't think of that lol.
Witch Hazel is a nice name too :)
HazelRae

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:34 am

Hazel Nut? That's fun and tasty!

Am I the only one who recalls Hazel the Maid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyWmZKJ27fI
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:37 am

[media]
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:44 am

AntiM wrote:Hazel Nut? That's fun and tasty!

Am I the only one who recalls Hazel the Maid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyWmZKJ27fI

No. But I confused her with Broom Hilda. What little is left of my mind has all sorts of inaccurate fun.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby NZRaven » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi my name is Maggee and this will be my first burn 2014. My husband Paul and I live in NZ...we have been together for nearly 20 years and we have two grown boys, 29 and 26 years old, we tried for a third child together for 16 years through IVF and adoption...but not meant to be...so we have decided to get busy living and explore the world. Our whole family are computer game geeks (Guild Wars 2 our game of choice) and with one boy in Canada working in the oil fields and another in Australia pursuing his singing career with his band (and his BEAUTIFUL AMAZING wife). Guild Wars 2 is one way for our family to spend time together, we all log on and go fight bad guys...don't knock it, technically it's family time! I am a bogun westie, and my first love is hard rock and metal music and I spent many years in my youth nursing whip lash from headbanging...both Paul and I are into dance music...me probably a bit more hard core...hard house, and both Paul and I into trance, and if what we are hearing is true, we are probably going to be falling to sleep with the dulcid sounds of trance...yahooooo...can't wait. Paul is a bit of a whiz as a DJ, he treats it as a hobby but I think he is VERY GOOD!
We love to travel and have adventures and often meet our kids somewhere fun like Thailand or Surfers Paradise. Our youngest has caught the adventure travel bug and has managed to beat us to some amazing destinations, so when we heard about Burning Man a few years ago, it became our mission to go there before him...(in saying that, now that we have our tickets, we are trying to convince him to join us)
Paul and I have always been a little bit different from all our friends, many don't understand how we manage to still be madly in love (crazy eh?) We still go on dates, our house is full of games to play, lots of toys, swords that light up, we love to dress up and I love things that light up and flash...over the years we have always been the odd ones out in so many ways...We have felt we were the only ones like us, but reading peoples posts, we are hearing from like minded people and we are so excited to be coming to a place where it sounds like we will fit right in for once!!!!!
NZRaven

Postby Elliot » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:08 pm

And you seemed so normal in the PMs. :mrgreen:

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby NZRaven » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Elliot wrote:.
And you seemed so normal in the PMs. :mrgreen:

He he he :wink:
NZRaven

Postby Emeralddragon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Hello from London! A virgin burner hoping to come this year if I am lucky enough to secure a ticket, I feel completely bamboozled about how to approach this- I am going to all the burner pub events- and everyone has been spectacularly warm. I am very up for contributing- but would love to join a theme camp- how do I find out about which camps are open to members/ recruiting please? Any help much appreciated! Thank you! :)
Emeralddragon

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Emeralddragon wrote:Hello from London! A virgin burner hoping to come this year if I am lucky enough to secure a ticket, I feel completely bamboozled about how to approach this- I am going to all the burner pub events- and everyone has been spectacularly warm. I am very up for contributing- but would love to join a theme camp- how do I find out about which camps are open to members/ recruiting please? Any help much appreciated! Thank you! :)

Welcome to ePlaya! Stick around here, introduce yourself a little, participate in discussions, read, read, read.

All the official information you need about tickets is on the main web site. Of course, first of all you want to read the First-Timer Information, and specially the Survival Guide. Once you have studied and understood all that, you will be ready to ask more specific questions here.

Some Theme Camps recruit here on ePlaya, but most don't. Look up Theme Camps on the main site and track down those that seem of interest to you.

Sign up for Jack Rabbit Speaks, the official BM e-newsletter, on the main web site.

And you are doing it right by connecting with other burners locally. :D

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Visha » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:34 am

Hello, hi, привет, namaste! My name is Visha, i'm from Russia, Moscow. This BM 2014 will be my first! Will see all of you there! Best wishes. love.
Visha

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: looking for***

Postby Elliot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:03 am

Visha wrote:Hello, hi, привет, namaste! My name is Visha, i'm from Russia, Moscow. This BM 2014 will be my first! Will see all of you there! Best wishes. love.

Welcome to ePlaya, Visha! Please tell us more about you, since it is not often we get people from Moscow! And be sure to read the First-Timer Information, specially the Survival Guide. And sign up for Jack Rabbit Speaks, the e-newsletter.
Good avatar!

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi Hazel!

Hi Visha!

Hi Emerald Dragon! Some of the camps in "2014 Theme Camps" are recruiting.
viewforum.php?f=364

But as Elliot says, there are camp listings from previous years on the main site. Many of them list an email address or website. And if you make friends at these local events, ask them if they have recommendations or if they're part of a camp that's recruiting.

Hi Maggee and Paul! . . . Yeah, you're going to be falling asleep to music for sure . . .

OOONTZ OOONTZ OOONTZ

. . . goddammit mother@#$%ing will get up & set those speakers on fire Ishallkillsomethingfasterpussycat kill kill . . .

ZZZZZZZZZZZ

And wake up 8 hours later to what may indeed be the same damned song . . .

The silicone earplugs work the best. If you have small ears, tear one in half to make two. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!