Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Postby smilemore » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:04 am

Thanks for the welcome Elliot.

We have subsrcibed and have read the survival guide (will undoubtedly return to that many times to come) - thanks for the guidance!

As far as contributions: we are working on a gifting / art project and will make more known after we become a little more clear on some of the logistics of it all. I can say that we are pretty happy with our idea ... like everyone else is with theirs I'm sure.

As we are going to be flying in from the Detroit area (we live just across the border in Ontario) we have some things to figure out: transporting our goods and get-up, finding a camper rental (we have decided that for our first visit we are going with what we perceive to be an easier accommodation route ... to be determined of course), deciding on which city to fly into (leaning toward SF currently), how many costumes to create ...

... of course we are open to any and all pearls of wisdom that we are offered. We will be spending a lot of time cruising this board.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
Smile ... more.
smilemore

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Elliot » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:39 am

smilemore wrote:... how many costumes to create ...

... of course we are open to any and all pearls of wisdom that we are offered. ...

Nobody wears "costumes". We wear "outfits". :lol:
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Fundraiser now live: http://igg.me/at/elliotsbicycleservice/x/11087604

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Thecatman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:58 pm

smilemore wrote:drinking wine and reading and making lists and drinking wine ...

a little bit more for Santa Claus, a little bit more for Santa Claus, a little bit more for Santa Claus.
Hope to meet up with you and yours at BM 2014.

Elliot wrote:We wear "outfits". :lol:

And some wear suits. :wink:
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:49 pm

smilemore wrote:As we are going to be flying in from the Detroit area (we live just across the border in Ontario)

eplaya alum, Sputnik is in Detroit, as is current member, Sailman. And Deb Prothero, another alum, is in Ontario (I believe, unfortunately, I"m an American, and cannot keep Canadian cities straight. She's close, at any rate.) We have some Quebecousious. (Yeah, I can manage French endings either...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby smilemore » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:05 am

Elliot wrote:
smilemore wrote:... how many costumes to create ...

... of course we are open to any and all pearls of wisdom that we are offered. ...

Nobody wears "costumes". We wear "outfits". :lol:

I love language ... such an art and so much room for fun! :wink:

... and while on the topic ... I've been waiting for the "pounce" on my choice of the word "easier" when referring to our choice of renting an RV as our accomodation ... it's ok ... I love a good dig, especially when it results in laughter!
Smile ... more.
smilemore

Postby smilemore » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:07 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
smilemore wrote:As we are going to be flying in from the Detroit area (we live just across the border in Ontario)

eplaya alum, Sputnik is in Detroit, as is current member, Sailman. And Deb Prothero, another alum, is in Ontario (I believe, unfortunately, I"m an American, and cannot keep Canadian cities straight. She's close, at any rate.) We have some Quebecousious. (Yeah, I can manage French endings either...)

Thanks for the info ... I think I saw that Deb is in the Toronto area (3-4 hours form us) but may look into making some pre-playa connections.
Smile ... more.
smilemore

Postby Elliot » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:14 pm

smilemore wrote:...
I love language ... such an art and so much room for fun! :wink:

Smilemore! My long lost twin brother! :lol:

Elliot

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:23 pm

smilemore wrote:Hi from the north shore of Lake Erie!

My wife and I have been interested in Burning Man for a couple of years (from first reading of it) and had planned to participate in the summer of 2017. That was then ...

After some significant events of recent, we have come to realization that the time is right ... now. We have been reading and watching and drinking wine and reading and making lists and drinking wine ... very pumped, a little nervous, and totally hopeful that we can get tickets!

Cheers to everyone!

Ted

smilemore

Hi Ted & Ted's Wife!

** . . . Urge to address you as "Lord & Lady Smilemore" . . . rising . . . **

I'm glad you guys are finally taking the plunge. We've seen people on ePlaya who have waited 10 years or more--I can't even imagine. I knew about the event for a meager 2 months, the first time I went. So you guys will definitely know enough to get by, if you're paying attention. Nervousness is normal.

What motivates you to fly into SF instead of Reno? You don't have to justify it; I'm just interested. (I've always roadtripped but haven't ruled out flying in the future, so I like to think about such things.)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby smilemore » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Savannah wrote:
Hi Ted & Ted's Wife!

** . . . Urge to address you as "Lord & Lady Smilemore" . . . rising . . . **

I'm glad you guys are finally taking the plunge. We've seen people on ePlaya who have waited 10 years or more--I can't even imagine. I knew about the event for a meager 2 months, the first time I went. So you guys will definitely know enough to get by, if you're paying attention. Nervousness is normal.

What motivates you to fly into SF instead of Reno? You don't have to justify it; I'm just interested. (I've always roadtripped but haven't ruled out flying in the future, so I like to think about such things.)

Hmmm ... "Lord & Lady Smilemore" ... I like the amusingly misplaced sophistication that has to it? At any rate ... please be seated! :wink: But then again ... perhaps we are on to something here - a playa name ...

Re: our motivations to fly into SF are two fold:

1. more likely to find a non-stop flight from Detroit (and might also be less $$), and
2. better chance of securing an RV rental at a decent price (have looked at some in SF and San Jose ... we actually have also considered Las Vegas but think the drive from the west coast to BRC might be more interesting to us). Tough comparing in this area as farther away equals less initial cost but higher gas, etc. ... whatever!!! We'll find something and hope the company exists when we arrive at their address. By the way, any experiences in this department are welcome (PM if that sort of conversation messes with the reg's on the eplaya).

Cheers
Smile ... more.
smilemore

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:39 pm

A box truck rental will be 1/5th the cost and easier to find than an RV. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Malachite » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:28 am

I go by the moniker of Malachite, the green stone that is soft, but poisonous if ground into a powder.
At age nine, I cut my first stones and still enjoy working with rocks. But when I was six, gardening became my first hobby of many to come. This fascinating world is full of so many things to learn and do. Now 65, I've slowed a tad, but not much.
Who knew I'd enjoy wearing a skirt!

Born in Florida, raised in Fairbanks, Alaska. Wife (Koi Kichi) and I live on 7 acres near Oregon City. Our first burn was 2013 SOAK regional, where I trained as a Ranger. I'm not sure I'm cut out for that; too much separation from the experience. I made a post for the temple, engaging my love of wood and painting.
Our first trip to TTITD was 2013, staying with the fine folks at Barbie DC and WB. Soon we will lay plans to return to both SOAK and the playa in 2014. I will do some things differently this time, like walk more, and go into the art rather than take one sunrise photo and bike on before the sun gets much higher. Looks like I found another way to use efficiency and a camera to separate my self from being here now.
When you're a hippie, every problem looks like a hammer. Out of state, man!
Malachite

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:10 am

Welcome, Malachite.

I've always looked for Malachite and azurite to occur together, interesting that your wife's name isn't azurite. But that betrays my geological background.

In any case, welcome to the group, and hope to meet you at TTITD in 2014!

With rocky respect,

^Rhino!
Chief Geologist
BRC Division of Geology
Veni, Vidi, Pertudi
(We came, we saw, we drilled)
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby smilemore » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 pm

FIGJAM wrote:A box truck rental will be 1/5th the cost and easier to find than an RV. 8)

We had been considering that as it seemed likely that we were in for a $4000 RV bill ... but, we have managed to secure a smaller unit from Monterey that is just about perfect for the two of us for half that amount. We're pretty happy with the set up. They were going to rent us 2 bicycles but were a little concerned about theft on the playa ... I am thinking they were pretty expensive bikes not intended for dust bed usage. I would rather not have to worry about someone else's expensive bicycles either. Perhaps we can convince Elliot to loan us a pair for the week. I'll PM him.
Smile ... more.
smilemore

Postby Elliot » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:54 pm

Done.
Details closer to the event.
:D

Elliot

Postby mrMAKdaddy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:04 am

Hi All, I hope you are well. :D

My name is Danny and I coming to Burning man for the first time this year from the UK I cannot wait. However I use a wheelchair so need to be as prepared as possible and any advice/tips would be warmly welcomed.

I am aware of the mobility camp and I intend to get in contact with them, but if anyone could give some general advice in the mean time it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
mrMAKdaddy

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:36 am

Did you look at the advice on the main burningman website. And any specific questions you can ask, means that you'll get tailored answers.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby cztop » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Hey my name is Chris, mostly everyone calls me CZ. I've been dreaming about going to burning man for a few years now. I'm making 2014 the year that I actually do it. I figured getting into some forums would greatly help me prepare for the voyage. I'm from the east coast around the Philadelphia area and have met a handful of very cool burners that have even furthered my interest in making it out to the Playa. I've always been someone who enjoys creating things, I am a painter.musician.aspiring music producer and would love to make some friends prior to burning man :D
cztop

Pieter, peter,pete, piep, piotr, from the Low Lands

Postby Pieter Verwoert » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:20 am

Ok, im not realy into this internet 'thing', but im looking foreward to meet new people en visit BM 2014. I have visited many festivals and partys in europe, seen lots of places, but why pass BM al these times? so i guess its time to cross the ocean an experience a whole new world. Time for a change!! Hope to see you there.
Pieter Verwoert

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:43 am

Welcome CZ, welcome Pete. Ready for the wild ride?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby kmcmichael8291 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:48 am

Hey Everyone! My name is Katherine McMichael Im from Tallahassee FL curently living in Jacksonville FL I CANNOT wait to attend my first burning man this year with my boyfriend Vitaliy!
kmcmichael8291

Postby Elliot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Welcome Katherine & Vitaliy! You might start by reading all the First-Timer information, and signing up for the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter.
And joining the discussions here on ePlaya, of course.

What sort of contributions and participation do you have in mind for the event?

Elliot

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Welcome, CZ, Pieter, Katherine and Vitaliy! :)

Savannah

Postby OneScorpion » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Hey my name is Austin and I'm finally making the trek to Black ROCK city this year!

I have been to the Oregon Country Fair twice now (planning on year three this year) and it is my favourite weekend of the year but without access to the limited volunteering possibilities I feel like i'm not experiencing the full weekend.

BUT this year I cannot wait for BM!! I'm coming down from Vancouver BC and have no idea if anyone else is coming with me but I'm always open to meet new people and camp together! Don't think I'm going to do a theme camp this year cause I just wanna roam and check everything out before committing.

See you all in August!
OneScorpion

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:41 am

Welcome, Austin! :D

Savannah

Postby atonmaiti » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:30 pm

Aton here. I have been attending regional burns on the east coast for several years and have created a wonderful family of burners over the years. Every year, we try and try and just dont make it. We weren't ready i guess. Our time has come and This year i will be coming home for the first time. Modus Operandi.
atonmaiti

Camp Name: Modus Operandi

Postby Frankybeats » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Hello Guys,
I'm Franklin and I come from Paris France. I've been dreaming to come to burning man for a few years now but I will attend In 2014 for the first time. (Finally)
As I live oversea it was a little tricky for me financially to come to you guys but hopefully if I can get to buy a ticket this year I will be able to attend and meet all of you guys.
I've read so much about the experience that the only thing I need to do now is to attend, as a virgin I'd like to respect the rules to the fullest because I think respect of this rules is mandatory in order to preserve the essence of the event.
I dream about it at night so I think I got to the point where it's necessary to achieve this goal in my life
Looking forward to seeing you guys on the playa
Any tips are welcome even if we all know I can find all the tips on eplaya
Peace
Frankybeats

Postby alexcaste » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi my name is Alex Caste. I've had a few playa names so far (Prestige, Neon, Forge, Jungle) but nothing has ever really stuck. I'm still looking for the one that will carry with me. This will be my 4th burn. In the default world I am based in Los Angeles. During the burn I prefer the 10 o'clock side, Robot Heart, and Deep Playa. I write, DJ, and create art however much I can. I struggle with my inner demons.

I camp with a great group of friends (mostly from the west coast). Sometimes we have a couple birgins with us and sometimes we don't. We have a traditions where we like to include one new stranger with us in our camp each year. Email me if your interested. We are aiming to camp somewhere between 7 and 10. We are not looking to make a huge shangri la theme camp or anything just a nice place to call home for our burn.

This year my friends and I are going to build an art project on Deep Playa. The working title right now is "Musical Oasis." It will be a interactive music creation piece. A place where people can rest from their journey through the playa and create, share, and trip out to music. The art project is based out of the Bay Area (building will take place in Oakland or San Jose). We are always looking for help (carpenters, painters, sculptors, welders, musician, coders..etc). If you think you have a skill that could be helpful with this project then please email me to find out more about it.
alexcaste

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Modge Podge

Postby pdxcat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:57 pm

Hello from PDX with Luv! My name is Jesse Esqueda AKA/Playa pdxcat "First Timer Baby"
pdxcat

Postby Howitzer73 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:44 am

John here, hailing from Central CT!

Was recently introduced to this and I'm already looking forward to it. Planning on driving out this year.

As far as what I can bring to the table? I'm a musician so I can soothe you with my dulcet tones... but I'll also be bringing a few tool sets and a generator so I can make on-the-fly repairs to whatever gets thrown my way!
Howitzer73

Postby Elliot » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:21 am

[quote="Howitzer73"]John here, hailing from Central CT!

Was recently introduced to this and I'm already looking forward to it. Planning on driving out this year.

As far as what I can bring to the table? I'm a musician so I can soothe you with my dulcet tones... but I'll also be bringing a few tool sets and a generator so I can make on-the-fly repairs to whatever gets thrown my way[!/quote]

Elliot

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!