Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Postby Morrell » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:39 am

Hello everyone,

Been following ePlaya for a few years now, just got my STEP tickets and thought I would finally join the on-line community. This year will mark my sixth burn and my girlfriend's second. Like so many others, I can honestly say that Burning Man changed me and changed my life! If my girlfriend had not overheard me talking about Burning Man we would never have gotten together and our first burn together last year just made us all the more closer. Every year I have gone, I have progressively gotten more involved and this year I hope to meet some/any/all of you!!!

In dust we trust
Morrell

Burning Since: 2007

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:55 am

Hi, Morrell, and welcome out of lurking. Come on down to Da Bar for drinks and tomfoolery. :)
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi Arturo! Welcome to the board. Good luck with your ticket. You may have heard this, but there will be one more sale. Sign up August 1st. More here:
http://tickets.burningman.com/

Congratulations, Morrell!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby CLARKcon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Hello Morrell :D Rock & Roll ...& .:dust:. :)!!
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby Morrell » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Da Bar looks like Da Bomb!!!
Morrell

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Pirateman Speranza » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Ahoy tharr everyone, My name is Michael Speranza. People call me Pirateman as a nickname as Aiye always dress and act like one (except Aiye don't steal).

Aiye am a fire twirling circus steampunk pirate who entertains kiddies (and oldarr adults) at me local community events and for birthday parties off the coast of Western Australia. Aiye am from Perth yarr sea! When Aiye'm not doing that Aiye work for a magazine and make a lot of me own stuff for meself and to sell or give to me crewmates, new and old. Take me Octopoi for example

Me goal is to get down to Burnin'man for 2013, a few of me'harties have been the past couple of yearrs and it's an experience Aiye am greatly intrigued by. Everyone is tellin' me Aiye need to go for it rather than just waitin' around for things to happen. I've read the survival guides and first time burners, Aiye'm just doing a shoutout post to announce me presence in the name of the pirate hordes!!! Oh, and to see if tharr be any otharr Perth, WA, or just anyone who can help me out with me journey, it seems quiet scary in a way, Aiye've nevarr been out of me home quarters of Australia before so even things like ye flights to America and how to get to tharr sacred Black Rock is quiet daunting, but it's something Aiye am focused about and I got a fair 'mount of time to preparrrrrrrrrr!!!

So yargh, that's me, nice to meet you all and Aiye look forward to seeing yerr all soon
\m/,>o<,\m/
\m/,>o<,\m/
Pirateman Speranza

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Aye, Matey!

Welcome to ePlaya. :lol:

Savannah

Postby fillupyou » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Hey, my name is Phil. I am a New Yorker and want very badly to go to Burning Man. Chances are my first time going will be 2013 being the whole ticket situation and the fact I am not financially prepared as of right now. I would like to think I am going for all the right reasons and I am sure I am. I try not to follow trends but on the flip side I feel I have good taste in things. I currently don't really have a squad to go with and need to find some fellow burners to accompany me. I don't think I can last a whole week alone out there. So if there are any friendly NYC burners reading this, try and say hi! Or I will when I figure out the ins and outs of this site. I have friends that have gone but we aren't that close so I'm a little hesitant to ask if I can tag along. From what I can imagine, this trip is a huge commitment and thus a big deal. As far as things are going, I am alone, as of right now at least. A lot can happen in a year I suppose. Well see. However I am always open to meeting some new and open minded people so maybe I should venture into NYC and meet some burners during one of those meeting/party things. I am really into the electronic music scene and am a huge fan of Robot Heart. I go out often to underground events and anyone thats into house/techno I will get along with I'm sure. I am currently a biology at CSI (college of staten island) and want to be a psychiatrist one day. I want to specialize in the revisited field of psychedelic medicine. For those who don't know, psychedelics are being used for medicinal uses in prominent schools like UCLA and NYU. It's still new and under approval but people are coming to terms with end of life anxiety and cigarette addiction using drugs like psilocybin. Very interesting stuff, indeed. I also like basketball, painting and writing as hobbies. Well I guess thats me in a nutshell, hope I meet some cool peeps yo!
fillupyou

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:38 pm

You don't need to go with anyone.

I have no faith in us research, with it's failed history.

For what it's worth, I still have functional eyesight, thanks to a drug from the sandoz research that was killed.
The doctors denied ever giving it to me.

Intense hallucinations were an unfortunate side effect.
I'm still not sure what it was.
Used to think I knew.
gyre

Postby fillupyou » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Well US research has its unfortuanate "loopholes" i think. But a renaissance is coming. New science and a new humanity. For some reason I think the burning man mentality is a part of it. Consciousness and all that stuff :) wow, i am glad you still got good eyesight. wonder what sandoz has in its files :o well i guess I can go alone, just rather have people I can depend on there with me.
fillupyou

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Not really good eyesight, but still functional.

There are a lot of people there.
Last edited by gyre on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Okay, fill, some pointers:
Law Enforcement reads this board. Being stupid about drugs can and does lead to arrest. Today is as good a day to practice not being that stupid as any.
You don't "need" to find a "squad" ("squad"? who uses "squad"? LE?), you need to learn about how to camp on the playa. This board is full of tips, strategies, ideas, wisdom, and snark--dive in.
If, when you've studied up some, you still wish to find people to camp with, there are places on the board that can help. Study the theme camps threads from this and previous years. However, even if you get to the city all by your lonesome, about 10 minutes after you park you'll discover neighbors, many of whom are happy to help, many of whom would like to hang out with you. (These catagories are not the same...)
The whole idea of "right reasons" is repugnant to some of us. And declaring yourself to have them is a little...creepy, in my view. Others feel differently.
Start now, and not only will a lot of stuff happen in the next year, but you'll be much happier when you get there. (Okay, there's 1% chance otherwise, but close enough.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Sandoz was licensed by the us government.
gyre

Postby fillupyou » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:42 pm

I didn't mean to offend or get anyone including myself in trouble. Sorry. I'll just read some posts and take it from there I guess.
fillupyou

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:13 pm

As long as you're not going to recharge your aura or shill djs, you're pretty safe.

I went for the burning man of 1996, and the guy that got me to go quit going by 1997, when it was all ruined anyway.

Still, forgot about that in a short time.

Whatever you go for, it will probably be different.
gyre

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm pretty sure Fill wasn't talking about "drugs". He was talking about researching the medicinal and therapeutic effects of psychoactive chemicals. Which in the United States of America happens to be a perfectly legal and legitimate profession.

While law enforcement can read whatever the hell they want, and stupidity often times can does lead to arrests, some guy on an online message board talking about what drugs or medicine he may or may not be using or researching is not an arrestable offense...

There is a wealth of wisdom and snark here, once you get past the prevailing condescension you will be rewarded with much ideas, information and inspiration.

I understand and relate to the sentiment that it's nice to have a 'squad'. Especially for your first time. My first year was with a about a dozen friends, all virgins, but knowing I was part of a team gave me the reassurance and support I felt I needed to make it to the playa. Some people can go it completely alone their first time with nothing but the survival guide and hours of scouring Eplaya, but many of us can't, or don't feel comfortable doing so.

Hopefully fortune will smile upon you in 2013 and you will be undertaking the (possibly) most epic camping trip of your life! Welcome to Eplaya Fill!!! You offended no one, and if you did, then fuck 'em.
Shut the Fuck Up and Go To Burning Man.
A-RockLeFrench

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:59 pm

fillupyou wrote:Hey, my name is Phil. I am a New Yorker and want very badly to go to Burning Man. Chances are my first time going will be 2013 being the whole ticket situation and the fact I am not financially prepared as of right now. I would like to think I am going for all the right reasons and I am sure I am. I try not to follow trends but on the flip side I feel I have good taste in things. I currently don't really have a squad to go with and need to find some fellow burners to accompany me. I don't think I can last a whole week alone out there. So if there are any friendly NYC burners reading this, try and say hi! Or I will when I figure out the ins and outs of this site. I have friends that have gone but we aren't that close so I'm a little hesitant to ask if I can tag along. From what I can imagine, this trip is a huge commitment and thus a big deal. As far as things are going, I am alone, as of right now at least. A lot can happen in a year I suppose. Well see. However I am always open to meeting some new and open minded people so maybe I should venture into NYC and meet some burners during one of those meeting/party things. I am really into the electronic music scene and am a huge fan of Robot Heart. I go out often to underground events and anyone thats into house/techno I will get along with I'm sure. I am currently a biology at CSI (college of staten island) and want to be a psychiatrist one day. I want to specialize in the revisited field of psychedelic medicine. For those who don't know, psychedelics are being used for medicinal uses in prominent schools like UCLA and NYU. It's still new and under approval but people are coming to terms with end of life anxiety and cigarette addiction using drugs like psilocybin. Very interesting stuff, indeed. I also like basketball, painting and writing as hobbies. Well I guess thats me in a nutshell, hope I meet some cool peeps yo!

Hey Phil!

You are correct: the Burn is rather a large commitment (especially from a distance) so do lots of reading, brace yourself for the occasional ribbing, and use the Survival Guide below to start a packing and shopping list. If you get stuck, try googling keywords + eplaya and you will find more threads than with our "Search" tool above, which I honestly never use. The more you've researched before asking, the kinder ePlayans are about answering questions. No promises. :)

Find New York Burners here (you might add yourself to neighboring states as well, if you like):
http://regionals.burningman.com/

But remember . . . Radical Self-Reliance is a Burn principle. Act as though you may travel or camp alone if necessary. You'll prepare more thoroughly, and read more. Maybe you'll travel alone, maybe you won't. When you get to the Burn, you'll have many many neighbors, and plenty of social opportunities.

Welcome to the board. :)

Savannah

Postby fillupyou » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I feel a little more at home now. Ill also be more conscious of what ill say. Really looking forward to doing my reading about it. It will be like a little break from studying. something for myself. really want to do it for 2013. Just found out a have my weekend job back. can save a little more than before. so things are looking in my favor...
fillupyou

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:17 pm

The last thing you need to do is be conscious of what you say. Nobody else here is.
Shut the Fuck Up and Go To Burning Man.
A-RockLeFrench

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby Playafifi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi, I'm Fifi. I've been going to Burning Man off and on since 1999, and with Sexagon Camp since 2007. Lobo and I got married there in 2010, so coming home is especially lovely for us. I recently started reading eplaya, and decided to stop lurking, brave the snarks,and embrace the opportunity to engage with you amazing people who also love TTITD. I'm especially interested in costumes...always have been, but one of the things I love most about the playa is that at our best, clothes, no clothes, jeans and t-shirts,wildest costume ever...radical inclusion! I'm counting the days until I can get dusty again. :D
Playafifi

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Sexagon

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:20 am

Except, you know, feathers...

Radically discluded.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 am

Hi Fifi! Welcome to the board. :D

Savannah

Postby Foomunda » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:57 am

Hello My name is Craig,

My friends call me Foo, and hopefully you will too.

This would be my first burn.

I have been caught up in the B.S. hustle and bustle of what I thought was the real world. These last few years have been rough. I found my self turning negative and becoming a real ass. Hated any kind of change in my normal day to day routine. I was becoming an ASSHOLE ZOMBIE.

I met a burner while teaching a class. She pretty much lives the 10 (principles) and in my conversations with her she has opened my eyes back up. She was and awesome experience, life changer. We talked about burning man and her experiences there. She turned me on to really wanting to learn more about what I thought was just a big party in the desert. She only went a few times to BRC, but is an ambassador of the 10.

So I started reading up on Burning Man and have found myself really wanting to be a part of your community.

I have signed up to volunteer for the ESD, and will be welcomed in if I find a ticket. If I am not fortunate enough to find a ticket this year, I realize this is not the end of the world.

I want to thank everyone who is part of burning man, this stuff changed my life for the better. I hope to join the burner ranks one of these day. Thanks to you guys I welcome each day now, wanting to experience something different.

Live well my friends,

Foo
Foomunda

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Hey Foo.

Tell everyone you know you're looking for a ticket, so that they might think of you when they hear of anything. Get your time off, if you haven't. And make your list, in case you get lucky. That way you can pack and shop quickly if need be. There's a starter list in the Survival Guide linked below.

There will be one more sale, with a sign-up August 1st. Info here:
http://tickets.burningman.com/

Best of luck, & welcome to the board. :)

Savannah

Postby warneverchanges » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Hey all!

I am Warren and have never been to Burning Man, but just regional burns such as Interfuze. I actually sold my company, moved to Vegas, and have made a personal promise to go to every Burning Man event that I can in my region so now that would include Burning Man.

I look forward to seeing everyone expressing themselves on levels impossible in everyday society and meeting the most interesting people alive.

Plus talking philosophy with people from around the world is my passion and no one has as many ingenious yet interesting cool things to say about the topic as burners do. Not to mention that some of you are so sarcastic that I can't stop laughing for hours after we talk.

Anyways, I look forward to (hopefully) seeing you soon!
warneverchanges

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Welcome, Warren! :D

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:10 pm

I don't know if your actions:
Show great faith, or
Show a general dissatisfaction, or
Show great foolishness, or
Show a willingness to take risks for potentially high reward, or
Show you wanted to get out of town, or
Show that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, or
some combination of those, or
nothing that I've mentioned, but I am oddly touched by the purity of your actions.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby goddessmother » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:40 am

Hi,
I'm the Goddess Mother from the Gallvant Goddesses & their Lost Boys Camp. This year we are bringing the Goddess Market to Black Rock City. I'll post the address as soon as it's finalized. We'll be around 2:45 and either G or H. Our Placer is going to get back to me hopefully this week. This will be my 8th year at the burn, 3rd year as a placed camp and first year bringing the Market. Just found Eplaya this year and love reading the posts.
The Goddess Market
We brought what you forgot
goddessmother

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Gallavant Goddesses & Lost Boys

Postby Savannah » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi GoddessMother! :D

Savannah

Postby pomagranite » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi to all my dusty people,
My name is Erin Shepherd, Pomagranite on the Playa. I am actively seeking two tickets and advise on many of life's questions and where else would I go? I live in Sacramento and I graduate from Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts next month. My boyfriend and I have been going to school full time and will be graduating with honors. So, needless to say; its been a crazy year.
Its wild to imagine that it has been several years since my last burn. I am trying to get a ticket for the two of us, without his knowledge. We have been trying to go together for the last five years. He is a Playa Virgin. I have been waiting anxiously for our scholarships to come. Oddly enough, they are releasing more tickets on the third, which happens to be my 30th Birthday. Coincidence, I think not.
I am not looking for a gift ticket! I would like to spend some of that scholarship money for our trip home. If any of you out there know of anybody selling tickets that are not super gnarly expensive let me know. I look forward to seeing you all at the place I love the most, and give the gift of baked goods and delicious and foods. I want to pay back a camp I once met, it was a camp of chefs. It was the year of hope and fear of the future and the food they made was out of this world! By far the best fried chicken I have ever had.
I got a little of track there, that seems to happen literally every time I think of or talk about BurningMan. Im sure you all know the feeling.
Burn on Baby burn on!
Erin
pomagranite

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Camp Awesome Shit!

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!