Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Postby stuart » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:40 am

citeh or untd girl? or don't give a fuck?
stuart

Postby moxiE » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:15 pm

hello. I'm Alia, from Manchester UK. 2003 was my 6th BM, but I'm relatively new to the eplaya.
I've lived in Manchester all my life, and brought my husband steven back with me from a trip to Quebec in 1998. 1999 was his first BM, and since then, we go together every year with a few close friends.
I'm a pharmacologist by Ph.D., working as a pharmacist. I don't have any kids (I don't really like kids... this is by choice), but I have 2 cats named Pierre and Jasc.
moxiE

It's so nice to have this time together...

Postby Last Real Burner » Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:13 pm

Hello again, and welcome to all who have not posted. we are still waiting.

"Hand over all your Chocolate and no one gets hurt."
pensively,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby Isotopia » Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:40 pm

A special place in hell awaits you for posting those...things.
Isotopia

Introducing...

Postby johnnyphi » Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:04 pm

Hallo!

I'm new to this thang, and thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is John. I lived in Asia for a few years (http://www.phiangels.com/changhua.house/index.html) and did some shows introducing people to laptop based electronica (http://www.phiangels.com/springscream2003/index.html). I'm back in chicago doing math and computer-based music. This year I'm hoping to do a little theme camp and/or installation where we teach people what's up with mandalas by using sand, mazes made with fiber optic cables and wire, and audio-in realtime cut-n-paste algorythms for the sound. My friend Allan is going to do most of the mandala and maze design. He's a painter and a really nice guy. I got the tech.

We're here because I'm looking how to get this thing started, and wanted to know if I had to clear this thing with anybody. The entire thing is pretty minimalistic and self-sufficient, since we'll be tricking out my motorcycle to use it as a generator for the light and sound.

So, if anyone has any info regarding who/what to contact to get started, I'm very very interested.

Thanks![url][/url]
johnnyphi

Don't look at me, I'm not with her...

Postby Last Real Burner » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:34 pm

Isotopia wrote:A special place in hell awaits you for posting those...things.

What?

"Hey, I'm new here!"
deceptively,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Newbie looking to go to BRC.

Postby Schwance » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:46 am

Hi all! My name is Ken, but my friends call me P-bear. I'm hoping to go to BRC for the first time in 2004. I've read and seen all sorts of cool stuff, and now I think I'm ready to finally go.

I should tell you all that I'm shy with new people at first, but once I get to know you, watch out!

Well that's all for now. See ya! :D
Schwance

Art projects

Postby Tiara » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:10 pm

In response to johnnyphi, and in hopes that others might find the info useful:

You don't need permission to bring a project to Burning Man. As long as it doesn't unreasonably endanger others, just set it up in your camp area.

But if you want your project to be listed on the online directory, described in the What/Where/When guide, or "mapped" as an art installation, you should register it.

Guidelines for last year can be found at: http://www.burningman.com/themecamps_in ... lines.html

It's likely that the guidelines will be similar next year, but it's probably a good idea to check back every month or so for any updates.
Tiara

Postby Isotopia » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:57 pm

You don't need permission to bring a project to Burning Man. As long as it doesn't unreasonably endanger others

Well then what's the point Tiara? What's the fucking point?

(sulking and walking away...)
Isotopia

Postby Dustdevil » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:08 pm

I brought a project this year that was an unreasonable danger to others and I still got permission. (See "El Diablo") However, I did get put so far out on the Playa (11:00 & Gospel)that one night I had trouble finding it. No one was hurt so I will be in a little closer in 2004.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Re: Newbie looking to go to BRC.

Postby Flux » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:20 pm

Schwance wrote:Hi all! My name is Ken, but my friends call me P-bear. I'm hoping to go to BRC for the first time in 2004. I've read and seen all sorts of cool stuff, and now I think I'm ready to finally go.

Hey Ken, glad you're going to make it out this year. Are you hooked up with other Portland burners? If not, click here.

Are you camping with a theme camp or existing group, forming a new group, or camping alone?
Flux

Postby III » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:57 pm

>camping with a theme camp or existing group, forming a new group, or camping alone?

in my view of things, that list is almost completelyt backwards from how i'd like to see it.

in my perception, the best theme camps arise from groups that already have a strong personal connection, rather than a group of people trying to gather around a common theme. it may be that it's because i view community as a collection of people, rather than what those people collect themselves around.

the nature of your question almost implies that you should camp with a theme camp, and i'm not sure that's always true, especially for someone who's never been before...
III

Postby Flux » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:39 pm

Actually, I totally agree with everything you wrote, III.

I had not intended to suggest a course of action or a logical progression at all. I was just curious about how he planned to go about it, if indeed he had already planned that at all.
Flux

Postby III » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:36 pm

>how he planned to go about it

absolutely - i just posted that because i'm not sure what you meant, and it seemed posisble for other newcomers to take it the same way.

i'd suggest that more important than who you camp with is who you don't camp with. the horror stories are legion...
III

Postby Badger » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:50 pm

the horror stories are legion...

But they can be so entertaining if you're close enough to be a voyeur yet far enough to get sleep when you want to.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby III » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:09 pm

apparently i'm feeling benevolent today. i must be needing some gratitude in my life.
III

Helloooooooooooo

Postby bearsnest » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:38 pm

:P Hello, Im Bear, for the sake of conversation, im a musician and my wife a great artistic person. together we shall storm the 2004 BM with all the little umbrellas we can carry. see ya there Bear
Bearsnest.... Be here now!
bearsnest

We all live in a Yellow Submarine, a Yellow Submarine...

Postby Last Real Burner » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:49 am

Hi Bearsnest. Image

"Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else. "
temporaryly,
mr smith
Last Real Burner

FYI...

Postby Last Real Burner » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:54 am

This place can get vewy, vewy, vewy addictive. So use with caution, read all labels, stick to the reccommended dosage, and for god's sake consult you physcian before using in conjunction with other boards.

remindingly,
mr smith
Last Real Burner

Good Morning from Alaska..........

Postby bearsnest » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:25 am

Hello and good morning from Alaska and it is 34 degrees and raining. We are coming to you via satellite and shall be teleported directly into your homes within seconds. Our village of 400 persons has no government, no cops, no taxes, no building codes, no license plates on our cars and we are enjoying what may be the last year like this as our community will be voting on incorporation in February. If this passes. I shall erect a fence around my two acres and form the universal church of the universe and all, residing at the forum, will be given free memberships. Ill build the fence out of old dead logs to be environmental sensitive and let myself out once a month for R and R. At our church, we shall never talk about religion or politics and we shall meet on a regular basis to form humming groups and Ayahascha sessions. Should you never here from me again it may mean the government goons have invaded our community and stolen my satellite dish. I have a spare hidden in an undisclosed location but I would need to retrofit it for transmissions and with a little (over the hill and thru the woods) to my distant neighbors manuvor, I may be able to borrow the necessary parts to get it going. But lets not go there as this is Alaska and I may not survive the attempt. Anyway, Blessings brothers and sisters from the Aya learning institute and safe journeys to all that dwell within this spectrum......... The Bear
Bearsnest.... Be here now!
bearsnest

Postby NaughtySnowAngel » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:31 am

I am the Snow Angel, and currently reside in the midwest......just learned of The Burn last summer, but was unable to make the trip this year. 2004 will be my first (of hopefully a long string) of trips to The Burn.
NaughtySnowAngel

I Love Life In General...

Postby Last Real Burner » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:58 am

Hi NaughtySnowAngel,

Welcome to the board, hope you find all that you need, if not just ask. The board is set up logically so you should be able to find most things easily. Just don't ask to borrow anyone's midget or poke a stick at the clowns and you should be fine. Image

Post any general questions you have, in the "General Discussion" Thread in the "Yearround" Forum on the main BBS Page. Most of your other question are most likely already anwsered in one of the "Tips and
Tricks" Forum. Happy purusing and enjoy our little community.

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. "
unexplainededly,
mr smith
Last Real Burner

Postby NaughtySnowAngel » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:33 pm

Thank you Mr. Smith! I am a mod on another message board (not burn related) and appreciate the warm welcome to the boards!

I try to welcome all the new members on the board that I mod, and find it to be a personal touch that makes you want o find a comfy spot and curl up for a bit.

Thank you :wink:

I plan on sticking around for a bit!
NaughtySnowAngel

We enjoy a diverse community....

Postby Last Real Burner » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:24 pm

Thanks Naughty, and again, welcome. Look around, enjoy . You must be excited about your new journey? Where are you located? There probably are fellow burners locally for you to interact with, have you tried? What are your plans so far for the trip?

you're bestest friend,
mr smith
Last Real Burner

Postby NaughtySnowAngel » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:50 am

I actually first learned of Burning Man from a member on the forum that I mod....I was talking about camping and they emailed me a link to the burningman website....that first night I spent hours reading all that I could. I of course had many questions, and emailed my new friend so much that I thought they would tel me to go away.

That was last May.....since then I have been poking around and looking under the rug and such for more juicy tidbits about The Burn. I was unable to make the trek in August due to job responsibilities, but I have secured the needed time off for '04.

My friend returned from The Burn (he is a vet of many years) and quickly sent me a CD of pictures from '03......I was so very jealous, and so very excited at the same time.

I am in St. Louis and may be making the journey to The Burn solo as my husband is completing his MBA and his classes start the week of The Burn. I have already secured a spot in my friend's camp....his group thinks that it will be nice to have some new blood in the camp! Other than that I am reading my checklists and listening to the people on this board and of course my friend....hopefully my first burn will be an experience never to be forgotten and the first in a long string of trips to the Playa!

I am excited and a bit nervous (in a good way).....and currently I am racking my brain for the best possible "gift" to make....since I am a bit of an artist I want to make something.....perhaps for '05 I will write something about my first year to gift to others.....but for the first year I wish to make a bobble or cercee for others to wear and share!
NaughtySnowAngel

Hello

Postby Para » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:20 am

My name is Ruthie i go by Para however..... im from oklahoma, a student and worker lol ( about sums it up) im the odd ball out im always up for something i really dont need coffee but it helps ummmmm ( gimmie my cofeee). i stumbled upon this website from the BM web site i was doing reaserch for the upcomeing years like stuff i need and so forth i was soo happy to find this site thanks for all the info
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
" its five o clock somewhere"
" where are we going? why am i in this hand basket"
Para

What do you mean it won't burn, here let me try...

Postby Last Real Burner » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:25 am

Well take comfort in the fact that, althought you will be going solo, you won't be going alone. You'll have 30,000 family members to keep you company. No really, it's like going to a huge family reunion, and you are our long lost Brother/Sister and special guest familymember. Everyone there is trying to help you feel comfortable and make sure you're ok and have everything that you need,. Everyone that passes speaks like they have lived next door to you for years, and you feel, deep down in your heart, like they have. It is the most wonderful feeling, to be wrapped for a week, in this unbeleviable ambionic fluid of profound loving, and nurturing enviornment. I know you feel it here, on this board, because there are a lot of great people here, who rekindle that passion, in each other, with every word, of every post. Just like family, we have our disagreements, likes, dilikes, and sometimes we stomp off to our room, to be byourselves, but we always end up back here, because, and I qoute "There's no place like home."

"Welcome home"Image
endearingly,
mr smith
Last Real Burner

Postby Para » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:28 am

E.T. phone home :shock: theres no alien face on here
Para

Postby Last Real Burner » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:56 am

Para wrote:theres no alien face on here

True... but you're welcome to play with my banana! Image

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
surprisingly,
mr smith
Last Real Burner

faces

Postby Para » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:56 am

* raises eyebrow* okay where do these extra faces come from?
Para

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!