Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Postby blyslv » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:30 am

There's nothing wrong with expectations. Expect dust, wind, noise. Expect blinky lights, art projects large and small, and thirst. Expect to eat less. Expect to camp, expect porta-potties and music. Expect to meet like minded people. Expect to have your more amorphous and unrealistic expectations dashed, and expect to give whatever you can.

Pace yourself. If you don't, expect to wish that you had.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby stuart » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:45 am

expect people to tell you in a boorish manner that last year was bettter.
stuart

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:30 pm

stuart wrote:expect people to tell you in a boorish manner that last year was bettter.

Right on, Stuart! (only they'll be wrong 'cause Mars made everything all wiggy this year)
Alpha

Postby Flux » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:39 pm

jennnk wrote:they think connecting with a bunch of free-spirited, self-reliant, creative, friendly people is just gonna get me into trouble

With any luck, they're right. Sounds like you need to get some less-conservative friends -- and Burning Man is just the place for that!
Flux

Postby Flux » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:46 pm

stuart wrote:expect people to tell you in a boorish manner that last year was bettter.

If he's spent much time on the e-playa and still wants to go, he must have developed an immunity to that line of thinking already!
Flux

Postby jennnk » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:42 pm

Flux wrote:
jennnk wrote:they think connecting with a bunch of free-spirited, self-reliant, creative, friendly people is just gonna get me into trouble

With any luck, they're right. Sounds like you need to get some less-conservative friends -- and Burning Man is just the place for that!

that's why i'm going...well, not the ONLY reason i'm going, but one of the biggest ones, really :lol:
do something every day that scares you.
go confidently in the direction of your dream! LIve the life you've imagined --H.D. Thoreau
jennnk

Postby nymphgonebad » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:47 pm

best. burn. ever.
nymphgonebad

Postby Zulegoona » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:07 pm

Flux wrote:
jennnk wrote:
they think connecting with a bunch of free-spirited, self-reliant, creative, friendly people is just gonna get me into trouble

that's why i'm going...well, not the ONLY reason i'm going, but one of the biggest ones, really

Trouble yeah I could go for some of that too, but the freindships is what I'm looking forward to.

There's nothing wrong with expectations. Expect dust, wind, noise. Expect blinky lights, art projects large and small, and thirst. Expect to eat less. Expect to camp, expect porta-potties and music. Expect to meet like minded people. Expect to have your more amorphous and unrealistic expectations dashed, and expect to give whatever you can.

Pace yourself. If you don't, expect to wish that you had.

I do expect to that no mater how well I think I've gotten those amorphous
unrealistic expectations in check that they'll still be there and will likely be painfully dashed.

I expect that I will experience all or at least a good part of all the diverse emotions and view points I've seen on e-playa, including the confusion disappointment, excitement, pride, in love with every one, isolated, alone, creative, stupid, full of myself, and tired really really tired. Kind of like normal except more so.

Kinetic, Thanks for the encouragment.
Zulegoona

Postby Raheer » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:36 am

Blenderhead wrote:Precipitate wins the prize for identifying intermittent unBARTability of bicycles!

But that discussion is for a completely different bbs; don't want to bore anyone with the "me-have-bike-me-good-person-me-demand-access!" thing. Even I get tired of it sometimes.

Come to Portland! Our transport system, TriMet, has a standing rule that bikes have PRIORITY, and foot-based traffic will GET OFF THE BUSSES/LIGHT RAIL TO MAKE ROOM FOR THEM!

Also, in reference to Jennnk's comments; Raheer knows what she means. She attends Western Oregon University, the most conservitive public university anywhere in the United States or Canada. (Also the reason Raheer is taking his secondary partner to BM04; she attends Warner Pacific College, an ultra-right wing Church of Christ school which will kick out any student who attends class with a hickey. [Raheer can only imagine what they would think of the nights of wild passion she, his fiance, and he have had...]).

Now, to Raheer's section of the post.

Raheer is 22 years of age, lives in Gresham, Oregon, about seven miles east of Downtown Portland, and (this will come as a shock to many of you who may or may not have thought they knew him), has never been to Burning Man. (But he will next year!)

Raheer also is heading to Vancouver, BC on the Eighth of October, and would like to hear from some fellow Burners about things/people to do/see/meet in and about the city. (Also, he really needs to know how well the public transportation system works in the city in question, as he is epileptic and cannot drive...).

Raheer
Raheer

Postby Meggles » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:20 pm

Aihos Mihos!! i have been "away" too long!! a little slow on the uptake here, apologies- allow me to intro myself: i am meg. my BM hymen remains unbroken. BM04 will pop my cherry. i commenced lurking & learning right before BM03 and was disappointed i couldn't see the webcast. Ahhh, well- lends to the sweet pain of anticipation. my mobility is suspended in the cheesehead state temporarily. much remains in the air, all will become clear soon. i will prepare. i WILL burn. i will :lol: . i will :shock: . i will gasp. i will drool. i will dance. i will share. then.... i will sleep for a month.
Meggles

Postby J » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:40 pm

same here I started lurking halfway through August
Please forget the words that I just blurted out
It wasn't me, it was my strange and creeping doubt
J

Postby red » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:05 am

Hi Everyone,

Around page 3 of this thread, I doubted that I or others still interested in the topic at hand could possibly make it to page 13. But here we are.

I first heard about Burning Man from I friend who knew I should be there after his first visit in 1998. Every year, he talked about it, but one thing or another always kept me from going. I finally went for the first time this year. Needless to say, I loved it, and I came to the e-playa shortly thereafter. I was also directed to the San Diego area board and I visit that one occasionally, too.

I am not on the computer much, so I find it hard to keep up to date on these boards, but I still hope to use them as a way to get in touch with some other burners.

I wish I could be in SF next weekend (and for the rest of my life), but that is quite unlikely. The good news is that SD is having our own decompression Nov 7-9, which I plan on attending.

My name is Robin or Red, depending on the avenue through which I have met you. I have a passion for many things musical and a host of other interests. I would probably like to join or create a theme camp for next year, so I'll be polling my options in the months to come.

It's great to meet (or read about) you all, and I hope to talk more with some of you soon.

-Red
red

?????

Postby solar131413 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:37 pm

I am a total novice to burning man...I do not even know when and what dates the man takes place....that would be a great start. :oops: I am reading a lot about it and still have confusion to whether going with a camp is better than going by yourself or with friends, is creating a camp on your own an idea that can work too, or whatever other options there are that I do not know about. I know if I am educated properly and guided in the right direction I can be a creative and fun participant who would gain a lot from this....I have always wanted to go and always had people trying to talk me out of it...NOT this year!!! I am doing what I want for once....wooohhoooo!!! Thx. :D
solar131413

Greets!

Postby sphene » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:38 pm

Hi, I call myself sphene here. In the default world I am Dan. Anyway, I've been wanting to go to a burn since probably mid 01. However, life intruded. My wife got cancer and we spent the past couple of years fighting it and getting her back to health.

Christmas of 02 they ran an office decorating party and I used my lights to make a 'Man' on the wall. No one got it.

Anywho, I love art. I spent some time doing glassblowing, and really want to do that again (It combines things I love, fire and art!). I was at the Michigan decomp party this weekend, and it was a blast. They setup the videogasm dome and ran videos, some of the event, others just pron from the 70s. There was fire fabulon spinning, and a hundred or so really wonderful people, not a one of them shunned me from joining their conversations. I heard this weekend that someone setup a glassblowing furnace this year, that would be great to participate in, if anyone knows who ran that, I'd love to hookup with them.

So 04 will be my first burn. I have the days marked off on the calender and I am trying to decide the best way to get there. Driving by myself is out. Flying is a possibility as long as I don't get some huge art idea between now and then. I've spoken with Alice a bit and I think there is a possibility of a ride from Reno. There is the big red bus that leaves michigan, so that is possible. Many possibilities, I think I have a bit of time to decide. But I'd like to know by spring.

Not sure where to camp. I've been thinking about the Solo Collective. They seem to have a lot of people like myself associated with the camp. I also think I could camp at Snowflake Village. So many choices...so little time.
sphene

Don't step there (pointing down)...

Postby Last Real Burner » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:44 am

Wow, a lot of new people. has everyone found what they need here on the board?

"That can be everybody.... Com'on speak up don't make us mail a midget to you're house to barage you with sexual inuendo's to make you post indiscrimanate information about youselves... (Be warned, Midgets get very angry when their mailed!)

"Your gonna poke your eye out with that thing!"
lastingly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Re: Don't step there (pointing down)...

Postby DhC » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:57 am

[quote="Last Real Burner"]
"That can be everybody.... Com'on speak up don't make us mail a midget to you're house to barage you with sexual inuendo's to make you post indiscrimanate information about youselves... (Be warned, Midgets get very angry when their mailed!)

Oh, please (whine) can we have a midget if we've aready posted?? Just what I need to make my week complete.
DhC

Re: Don't step there (pointing down)...

Postby jennnk » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:23 am

DhC wrote:
Last Real Burner wrote:"That can be everybody.... Com'on speak up don't make us mail a midget to you're house to barage you with sexual inuendo's to make you post indiscrimanate information about youselves... (Be warned, Midgets get very angry when their mailed!)

Oh, please (whine) can we have a midget if we've aready posted?? Just what I need to make my week complete.

what if you ARE a midget? what do us little people get?

just for teh record, i'm not technically a midget, i'm actually two inches too tall to be considered a "little person," but five-foot even is pretty damn small compared to most people
do something every day that scares you.
go confidently in the direction of your dream! LIve the life you've imagined --H.D. Thoreau
jennnk

Hello!

Postby biggkat » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:25 am

My name is Kathy and I live in Torrance, CA (south of LA). I'm married and have a 15 1/2 year old son. I've been interested in attending burningman for a few years now, but haven't been able to convince my husband that he would enjoy it. I may try to attend with my sister if I can get away with it without too much grief from the hubby.

I attended the Venice Carnavale this year and have some pictures posted at http://www.pbase.com/kathyg/venice. I had a great time.

I'm looking forward to the LA Decompression coming up on the 19th, getting some great photos and meeting some local burners.

If you haven't noticed yet, I love photography. It is my hobby/passion. If/when I attend burningman, I will probably spend all my time taking pictures. Good thing I do digital. The cost of film and processing would KILL me.

Another thing I love is Football! Go Broncos!! My son plays on the high school team (both JV and Varsity) so I get live football Thursdays AND Fridays. It's great!

Well, enough about me. What about you?

Biggkat
biggkat

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:44 am

Nice pictures, Kathy! Those people look like burners except they all have their clotes on. :-)

If your husband has an open mind then tell him to just go and he'll love it. I'm as straight as they come and my friends are AMAZED that I have such a good time and don't get freaked out by the, well, freaks. And each year I loosen up just a little bit more!
Alpha

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:48 am

Hey Kathy!

I remember you!

You took a picture of me and my friend: http://www.pbase.com/image/17966765

I'll be at the LA Street faire, I'd love to see you again!
Ivy

Postby biggkat » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:07 pm

Ivy:

I remember you as well. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Alpha:

He's getting less open-minded as he gets older. I'll keep working on him.
biggkat

Newbie Hunt...

Postby Last Real Burner » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:23 pm

Anybody else need a newbie hug?

mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Re: Newbie Hunt...

Postby Phydeau » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:40 pm

Last Real Burner wrote:Anybody else need a newbie hug?

mr smith

No thanx, I'm trying to cut back ... oh ... what the hell, c'mere ya big lug
Image Phydeau
Phydeau

intro to ME!

Postby pixie mcGiver » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:41 am

Hey there Ya'll, my name is Pam, or Pixie McGiver. Iam married, live in the Sierra Valley, have 2 dogs,and a 1964 Ford Falcon. This was my first year to attend Burning Man,(I'm Not a Virgin Anymore!!!)Will be returning with bell's on. Thank You to my wonderful friend for her gift to me. I have already started making trade good's for 2004, and am counting the days till we all come together again on the plya. Have only Good thoughts till then!
pixie mcGiver

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:53 am

Want to welcome beca and sylvia... didn't see you come in but I noticed your presence. Welcome!
Alpha

Postby tzimisce1313 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:31 am

hey there! :D

i'm emily. i live in the san francisco bay area. i've wanted to go to burning man now for ten years. it's something that's been more like i've been aspiring to go to. to have the experience, and meet so many new, wonderful people. i'm more or less a unabashed rivethead, but with a positive attitude (i smile).

so, i hope to see you all on the playa next august. :wink:
tzimisce1313

Postby Alpha » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:37 am

What can we do to convince you that Year 11 is the one to finally do it?
Alpha

Postby tzimisce1313 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:48 am

well, two years ago, the gathering that was going to go fell through. so, that scrath that.

but what really did it was my bf. he went with his wife 2 years ago and has been tlaking about it ever since. i was actually going to go this past year if it wasn't for that whole money thing. and the more he talked about it afterwards i felt like i was really missing out. it sounded like so much fun ten years ago, but age and money were an issue (i was 14 with no ride, no job andmy parent's aren't nearly bohemian enough to be willing to pay for me to do anything like this). and now it all came together.

so, i'm glad that everything did finally come together. i can definitely say that i'm looking forward to the experience. from everything that i've seen and heard, i will probably have a totally amazing experience. :)
tzimisce1313

Postby foamin' at the mouth » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:05 am

"i've wanted to go to burning man now for ten years. it's something that's been more like i've been aspiring to go to."

Do it. That was me. Ten years at list of reasons I didnt go. My friends always bought me a ticket and they always sold it. This year I did it. Best thing in the world. Decide now. You have lots of time, so if you plan well you will need to spend less.

Do these three things: read the pdf at least three times on the website for first timers. Then read the tips and tricks in the archive posted at the bottom of the main list and the ones here.

Find a post by that Bob guy and go to his profile. Click on his URL and Check out his BM related stuff on structures and the layout of the city (for getting a visual picture....and added insentive)

Start making a list now and budgeting ...and shopping for lingerie. Comb garage sales for camping stuff now.

tip: plan to have a small stash of popsicles or juice frozen in a small cooler in your passenger seat (stop in Reno for these). Hand one to the guys who yells at you to have you ticket in you hand. Then when you get to the greeter gate make sure you have em ready to go. This got me in the spririt of things right away. Those folks were hot and dusty and glad to see me. They just had me ring the bell....I didnt have to get a spanking. They forgot to give me the map and stuff tho so make sure you ask for that.

Plan carefully for your return out. Have a bag of socks and a bag of instant chai to leave as you exit for the people who are staying to clean up. You're going to want to do something......The drive back was the only bad experience. People click out of their burn mentality the minute the leave the gate and it can be treacherous.

Plan to camp somewhere or stay in Reno the monday night following you exit. Better yet, if they let you stay and leave tuesday. I got a room for 23.00 just walking into a random casino hotel.
I often heard the sorrel nag (who always loved me) crying out, ..."Take care of thyself, gentle Yahoo."
foamin' at the mouth

Location: that fishing village designed by interior decorators

Hello

Postby Vicki » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:11 am

Hi. I'm Vicki. I'm 26 and live in Manchester, England with my husband steven. I work in Finance and I also teach piano.

We're coming to Burning Man next year for the first time after time spent travelling up the West Coast.

Cannot wait. Really looking forward to it.
Vicki White
Vicki

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!