Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

hello

Postby maxwells » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:56 am

hey there...

i am a mid western burner, and 2004 will be my 3rd year out. I went to burning man in 2001 & 2002, but i missed last year for a number of reasons. one of which was my need for distance from some of the campmates that were going...

so, after 2002, i decided to skip a year & come up with something fantastic for 2004. so here is is, one calendar year later, and, um, well... all i want is to be on the playa. :cry: large scale projects be damned. (we'll see... my new camping crew is pretty ambitious... but newbies.)

maxwells
I like you....
maxwells

Postby Alpha » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:00 pm

New to ePlaya but not new to Burning Man. 2000 was my first year, and every year I go back more enthused and wanting to participate more. My project for BM03 was a dome, next year I hope to build a better shower and maybe an art project. (If only I can convince my camp-mates that the shower doesn't need side panels!)

I'm a nerd by trade but in my free time I walk and train wolves at a local sanctuary, pretend that I can play the guitar and tend to the dozen or so reptiles that have taken over my house.

What's it to you?
Alpha

Bring Spare Parts

Postby Tiahaar » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:46 pm

Hi everyone, 2003 was my group's first trip out to the playa and it was amazing, truly beyond imagination's limits, thanks to all Burners for the experiences! Since this is the newbies and tips thread I've got a good one that maybe will help...bring spare parts for your ol' get-to-the-playa machine, especially if its something not-so-new, stuff like spare fan belts, extra antifreeze/radiator water, oil, hose clamps, duct tape, fuel line/water hoses, etc...things to keep the beater on the move. I took my converted '60 yellow GMC bus this year and going to be back next year too, I'm hooked. (sorry it is slow going up hills...thanks to those behind for patience, I pulled over wherever I could...we were the bus with the white horse and dark handsome rider poster in the back). Having tools and spare parts on board kept us going. By the way, is there a designated Burning Man CB channel?? I just kept mine on trucker 19, heard info about traffic backed up from an accident ahead that way, but seemed just truckers were on the air, not Burners. Let's resurrect the CB! That's all for now :D Tiahaar
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Hoist Those Sails You Lazy Worthless Lackies, Heave Ho...

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:44 am

"designated Burning Man CB channel" Sounds like a great Theme Camp Name.

The Rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby Kinetic » Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:58 am

Actually I thought of running a CB this year but ran out of time and money to do it. Next year I could do this. As for a special channel? Maybe once your on 447 or Jungo, maybe. But on 80, I'd stay on 19. And if you think about it, once you get off I-80 the trucker traffic dies down so why not just make it 19 and go? Burners are already distracted enough getting there, keep it easy and stay on 19.

And as for taking spares? ABSOLUTELY a great idea. I had lots of spares and they saved my rear when I had problems crossing Independence Pass in Colorado on the way home. Being stuck at 12,000 ft with no tools and a thunderstorm coming in was something I avoided this year.

Something you might want to add to the list...tire plug tools and Fix-a-Flat. If your one of those who has a small 12 volt air compressor, the tire tools are great for fixing punctures instead of stopping to air up every 30 minutes. And Fix-a-flat at Target or Wal-Mart is $5 or $6. At a c-store or truck stop it's $10 and up. I learned that last year the hard way. This year I had 4 cans before I left and didn't need a one.

I also kept a small mini-sledge hammer close at hand...besides being nice for driving in 12'' rebar, it let me fix a bent trailer rim that got caught on some rough pavement on that damn pass. I beat the rim edge back in, aired up the tire and kept moving. I was able to get the trailer home and repair it here...saving major bucks.

Now back to the thread.....
Kinetic

Postby Amoeba » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:21 pm

Kinetic wrote:Now back to the thread.....

I'm beginning to understand the general frustration with lurkers....are there any more of you out there who haven't introduced yourselves yet? I'd love to meet you... :twisted:
**THE AMOEBA OF THE BASKERVILLES**
There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun,by the men who moil for gold;
The arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold...
Amoeba

Postby Tiahaar » Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:22 pm

Burner Burner CB 19 it is! Great thought on that, thanks Kinetic : ) Hmmm, a CB theme camp, Rabbi...that could be a hoot! Lots of ways to have a little fun with the stereotypes that go along with those old radios that's for sure. I've got a trucker cassette tape that has this one song on it about a sheriff who distracts a convoy by imitating a flaming queen of the CB airwaves looking for a trucker date...then busts them all in a big speedtrap heheheh. (my traveling companions may have burned the tape while I wasn't looking, maybe I should go check?) Anyway, glad to get to know some of you out there through this eplaya, love sorting through all the postings, its got to get me through till next year, I'm addicted already! Tiahaar
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Alpha » Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:10 pm

Separated at birth?

Image Image
Alpha

Postby nymphgonebad » Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:20 pm

Alpha wrote:Separated at birth?

Image Image

hey alpha - i was raised by wolves.

maybe we're related?
nymphgonebad

Postby Alpha » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:14 am

the empress wrote:hey alpha - i was raised by wolves.

maybe we're related?

I don't fuck 'em, just walk 'em.
Alpha

Man Thats Big.....

Postby Last Real Burner » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:17 pm

Take that as a no, princess...

permanately,
mr smith (emoticon pointing ->)
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby PurpleKoosh » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:28 pm

Hi. I'm Kirsten, and I just moved back to South San Jose after 7 years in SF. I live with my husband of 13 years, and half a mile from my partner of 3.5 years. My partner has been a volunteer with the Org (Rangers/ESD) for six years; 2003 was my first year at the Burn.

I'm fat, poly, kinky, and queer. I'm underemployed in the travel industry. I have a passion for 80's music, but will listen to damn near anything.

And I've got this thing for purple.... ;-)
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Re: ARRRR!

Postby PurpleKoosh » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:31 pm

jarjar wrote:did anyone else see Survivor last night? isnt the big dude with the beard perfect burner fodder?

Rupert rocks. I expect to see him on the Utilikilt website any day now.... ;-)
PurpleKoosh

Re: ARRRR!

Postby PurpleKoosh » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:34 pm

the empress wrote:why do pirates love fiberglass insulation? because of the high arrrrr value!

What did the pirate study in college? Arrrrrrrrcheology! (With a minor in arrrrrrrrrrchitecture)
PurpleKoosh

Postby PurpleKoosh » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:41 pm

Ivy wrote:You guys, no offense, but I can't marry y'all. I've been trying to marry myself for several years now and I just can't commit to myself. If I can't marry myself, how can I be expected to commit to soemthing so serious with all of you?

A friend did suggest I get handfasted to myself, to see if it would work out, and I may just try that.

You all may think I'm being a smart ass about this, but for once I'm really not.

Talk to RoseFox over on LJ, hon. She's been married to herself for a couple of years now, and seems to be more in love with her wife than ever.

And I totally understand how you feel - I'm working really hard these days to become my own primary partner.... (I'll add you to my friends list so you can read some of what I've been going through.)

Best of luck to you. *hug offered*
PurpleKoosh

Postby sphene » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:12 am

Hey there. I'm from Detroit. 04 will be my first burn. I've wanted to go for 3 years now, but my wife got cancer and we spent the past 3 years beating it back and bringing her back to health. 2 kids, 4 and 8. More happily married now than ever before (but not because of the kids). I'll most likely stay with the Solo Collective this year.
sphene

Postby nymphgonebad » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:30 am

sphene wrote:Hey there. I'm from Detroit. 04 will be my first burn. I've wanted to go for 3 years now, but my wife got cancer and we spent the past 3 years beating it back and bringing her back to health. 2 kids, 4 and 8. More happily married now than ever before (but not because of the kids). I'll most likely stay with the Solo Collective this year.

welcome to the board, sphene. i'd like to know more if you don't mind sharing with us. or, if you'd like to pm me, that would be lovely as well.

hrh
nymphgonebad

detroit

Postby maxwells » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:01 pm

Hey there, sphene! i lived in detroit for years, in fact, truth be told, grew up in the northeast 'burbs. you should wonder over to the "who needs a ride in 04" or something like that thread. There's a guy driving from Lapeer/Flint, and he's looking for folks to join. i'm in Chicago, but planning on flying. (drove in 2002, no more of that!)

do you have a good amount of folks in detroit planning on going in 2004? just curious...

maxwells
I like you....
maxwells

Postby precipitate » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:47 pm

> are there any more of you out there who haven't introduced yourselves
> yet?

Yeah. 857 of them.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby Alpha » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:51 pm

precipitate wrote:Yeah. 857 of them.

...but half of those are puppets!
Alpha

Re: detroit

Postby sphene » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:55 pm

maxwells wrote:Hey there, sphene! i lived in detroit for years, in fact, truth be told, grew up in the northeast 'burbs. you should wonder over to the "who needs a ride in 04" or something like that thread. There's a guy driving from Lapeer/Flint, and he's looking for folks to join. i'm in Chicago, but planning on flying. (drove in 2002, no more of that!)

do you have a good amount of folks in detroit planning on going in 2004? just curious...

maxwells

I grew up there too, SCS to be exact. I already hooked up with the guy from Flint, so we'll see how that works out. I was thinking that I might fly, but then thought about how much it would cost to fly to Reno and then rent a car for 7 days. Plus then I have to buy all my supplies somewhere between Reno and BRC. Good thing I have time to work it out.

There is a pretty good size crew that comes from the area and camps in Snowflake Village. Maybe you saw their carnival ride.
sphene

Re: detroit

Postby nymphgonebad » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:57 pm

sphene wrote:
maxwells wrote:Hey there, sphene! i lived in detroit for years, in fact, truth be told, grew up in the northeast 'burbs. you should wonder over to the "who needs a ride in 04" or something like that thread. There's a guy driving from Lapeer/Flint, and he's looking for folks to join. i'm in Chicago, but planning on flying. (drove in 2002, no more of that!)

maxwells

I grew up there too, SCS to be exact. I already hooked up with the guy from Flint, so we'll see how that works out. I was thinking that I might fly, but then thought about how much it would cost to fly to Reno and then rent a car for 7 days. Plus then I have to buy all my supplies somewhere between Reno and BRC. Good thing I have time to work it out.

There is a pretty good size crew that comes from the area and camps in Snowflake Village. Maybe you saw their carnival ride.

i can make sure you have a ride. tell me what you need in terms of supplies.....
nymphgonebad

Postby sunsh1ne » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:58 am

Hello I'm sunshinedaydream. I'm living in florida right now but i grew up in wisconsin. I laugh loud, play voilin,run marathons, and bit my fingernails when i'm upset . I'm happily engaged, own 6 cats and 2 dogs,drive a 73 superbettle, and travel alot. 2003 was my first but not the last burn i do. I listen to all sorts of music and love to dance to it too.
HI EVERYONE!!!!!!
sunsh1ne

If you pull that out one more time I'm taking it from you...

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:26 am

Hi Sunshine.

the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Off-topic, but...

Postby Blenderhead » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:20 am

does anyone know if Costco sells big tubs of chocolate-covered espresso beans?
Blenderhead

my fans, i have arrived!

Postby jennnk » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:35 pm

hello all! my name's jen and i'm a bm virgin and i will award extra brownie points to the person who can name the source of the quote used as the subject line of this post. i've decided that i must go to BM in 2004, after hearing my friend kris Imagechatter about it non-stop (he's gone the last 3 years). i've signed up for JRS, and i know it's weekly, but can anyone tell me the day of the week it's delivered? i've read and reread the survival guide (and since i have a near-photographic memory, rereading wasn't entirely necessary, but i'm also a researchaholic and a bibliophile, and i need to know as much detail as possible all the time). i've read the news articles about BM that are linked from the BM site, and every time i read something new, i just KNOW i have to be there, because it sounds like my soul is out there with all of you. other than starting the hydration process & gathering supplies & saving beaucoups $$$ & going camping all the time & reading the eplaya bbs, can anyone tell me what i should do to prepare? let's see, what else...oh yeah! about me...i'm 21, a senior at western oregon university, i'm planning my wedding, editing the campus literary magazine, interning at an awesome publishing company, becoming obsessed with all things BM, and trying to contain my enthusiasm because i have a lot of friends (including my fiance) who don't understand the draw of the desert, and two who have already tried to talk me out of it because they think connecting with a bunch of free-spirited, self-reliant, creative, friendly people is just gonna get me into trouble :roll:[/img]
Last edited by jennnk on Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
do something every day that scares you.
go confidently in the direction of your dream! LIve the life you've imagined --H.D. Thoreau
jennnk

Re: Off-topic, but...

Postby nymphgonebad » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:58 pm

Blenderhead wrote:does anyone know if Costco sells big tubs of chocolate-covered espresso beans?

dunno 'bout costo, but trader joe's has them.
nymphgonebad

Postby Zulegoona » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:44 pm

Hello,
I'm Steve
I may have heard about Burning Man in passing but was more familiar with the old English pagan tradition. I don't think anyone I know has ever been to the playa. On the second or third week of August I heard a report on public radio about Burning Man on a travel show of all things and was intrigued.

I hit the site and started making my way threw it on the Saturday before the event and have been spending way to much time researching the event, reading E-playa and down loading pictures from all over. Just the Idea of it has really struck a cord with me. I Plan on making 2004 my first year.

I'm 47 and have spent my creativity on the job, in one job or another for the past 20 years or so. Oh I've made some furniture, and some small things but my personal self expression has pretty been sublimated into pretending I'm a grown up. The real spark and passion for creating art just for the joy of it had faded. Now I'm into the (way to big and unrealistic fantasy stage,) Planning on building a sculpted travel trailer, an art bike, and on and on. My house full of unfinished projects, and the idea of the burn as a deadline will probably get me to scale things back to something more doable eventually.

I know it is better in general to not have any expectations when you go to Burning Man, but I think it will be good for me at this point to have some expectations of myself and start stretching now, taking all of the technical skills I've acquired and using them to make self expressive art again. It is important, and it is important to actually finish a piece and not just make art in my head. Its like Burning Man has given me a need to take a theoretical spirituality and put it into practice in my daily life.

Ok, it sounds a little over stated but hey why not enjoy the flush of enthusiasm while I can.
Zulegoona

Postby Kinetic » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:56 pm

Zulegoona, your taking the approach I did after my first burn. I came home and started in building things. A trailer, an art bike, and all kinds of projects. I got to take the trailer out to BM as the bike run into delays but at least I got to build it and have something to show for it.

I won't ramble on, I just have to say I see nothing wrong with your approach, if anything get busy and start building! You've got the spark, who says you have to wait until getting to BRC to enjoy the BM experience. The minute you start building, heck even collecting the stuff you need to go, it starts. I hope you have fun and enjoy the project work and let us know what your building and how it's coming. If you run into blocks there's a lot of creative people over in the tips and tricks section that could answer questions and maybe get you over a technicality or other problem.
Kinetic

Postby precipitate » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:39 pm

> On the second or third week of August I heard a report on public radio
> about Burning Man on a travel show of all things and was intrigued.

That's Tokyo Rico's piece. He's a good egg.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!