Contact List MOD Feedback

Use this space for bug reports or to discuss site functionality and statistics.

Do you like the new Contact List MOD?

No, I hate it.
No votes
No, it doesn't do what I want.
No votes
Not really, but I can live with it.
No votes
I don't care.
21%
Yes, but it could be better.
7%
Yes, it's great!
32%
About fucking time!!
21%
What are you talking about?
18%

Total votes : 28

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:18 pm

AntiM wrote:If I have a pop-up blocker and my IM is disabled, can I still use the buddy notification?

Yes, you can still use it. Click "Contact Management" in the header navigation. If you try to use the icons below someone's avatar, you will not see the popups.

You should also be able to selectively allow popups in your browser, so you could allow them from eplaya.burningman.com. I highly recommend using Firefox as your browser:

http://mozilla.org/firefox

spanky

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:24 pm

stuart wrote:might I suggest

a heart
a monkey plugging it's ears
and a cartoon like spy (think the shadow or spyvsspy)

for the icons

Would you care to submit some? This *is* a volunteer-driven organization :) I can't guarantee they'll be used, but we'll totally look them over. The guy who did the icons and graphics for this ePlaya is no longer available to help out.

~Spanky
spanky

Postby Sandwichman » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:51 pm

Just downloaded Firefox. Thank you for the reccomendation.

Jason
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby helitack » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:23 pm

Everything seems so work on Mac OS 10.3 with Safari. Hmmmmmmm
helitack

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Apokiliptika

Postby geekster » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:54 pm

So yeah, it seems that if none of your buddies is logged in, or if you have selected the "dont nag me when my buddies comes online" then you get a blank popup. If one of your buddies IS online, the popup is populated with a little note that says they are online if you have selected to be told that.

So, if you have instructed it to tell you nothing, or if it has nothing to report, it pops up blank. Kind of like having a blank sign on the roadside because they might want to write something in there someday.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby stuart » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:57 pm

This *is* a volunteer-driven organization

funny, that's not the impression I got when I paid $225 for a ticket.

all joking aside, I am a designer, not an illustrator.
call me baby
stuart

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:06 pm

geekster wrote:Crap, now I am getting the blank popup. Started after the first time I went to the content manager. Now any time I go back to the forum index or up a level from anywhere, I get one.

OK, this super annoying and intrusive popup window problem should be fixed now. The problem was this:

Code: Select all
var buddy_alert = "{buddy_alert.BUDDY_ALERT}";

and then it is checked here:

if ( buddy_alert ) {

Since the declaration is quoted, it evaluates to "true" (a string value is true). Removing the quotes made it evaluate to 0 or 1, which means true or false. What was happening was that it always thought a non-existent buddy had come online and was trying to tell you about it. Certainn browsers obviously interpret a quoted zero differently. :\

Let me know if you continue to experience problems with this popup.

ALSO: "you're welcome" to everyone who has said thanks in these threads!

~Spanky
spanky

Postby Sandwichman » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:11 pm

spanky wrote:
geekster wrote:Crap, now I am getting the blank popup. Started after the first time I went to the content manager. Now any time I go back to the forum index or up a level from anywhere, I get one.

OK, this super annoying and intrusive popup window problem should be fixed now. The problem was this:

var buddy_alert = "{buddy_alert.BUDDY_ALERT}";

and then it is checked here:

if ( buddy_alert ) {

Since the declaration is quoted, it evaluates to "true" (a string value is true). Removing the quotes made it evaluate to 0 or 1, which means true or false. What was happening was that it always thought a non-existent buddy had come online and was trying to tell you about it. Certainn browsers obviously interpret a quoted zero differently. :\

Let me know if you continue to experience problems with this popup.

ALSO: "you're welcome" to everyone who has said thanks in these threads!

~Spanky

You all are working hard to roll out the e-playa and thanks are needed. When the time comes to roll through the gate and into BRC I would love to share an ice cold beverage with ya.

Jason
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:23 pm

stuart wrote:funny, that's not the impression I got when I paid $225 for a ticket.

:!: ALERT! THREAD DRIFT AHEAD :!:

Well, although I understand your humor :D and don't take it personally or want to get into a tussle (and get plonked ;) ), your $225 goes to make the event actually occur: Portapotties, permits, wood (to build the man, and more), medical, ticket printing, ePlaya servers and on and on. The participants and volunteers are what make Black Rock City so amazing. If we didn't have any money (solely from tickets) or we had to pay everyone who helps make Black Rock City a reality, we straight up wouldn't be able to build the blank slate that is Burning Man. All that shit doesn't just magically appear in the desert. ;) And anyone who gets paid for their work, does so because their role is either critical (no flake factor allowed), mandated (by the gov't) or they've repeatedly shown competence in the face of great need, and NOBODY gets paid fair market value for their skills and time. You think I work here because it pays well? Also, I volunteer for the Café (my other hat says: Café Performance Manager) and don't get compensation for the planning, meetings, emails, supplies, transportation or my entire month in the desert, working my ass off in the sun, dust, rain and cold. I'm not holier than thou or badder ass than you, I just see the every day-ness of it (and I get this question a lot). It does take money to produce an event of this scale, and we appreciate your $225 :)

If you care to learn more about where your ticket money goes, you can visit the AfterBurn:

http://afterburn.burningman.com

or more specifically about the financials:

http://financials.burningman.com

But I drift from the topic of this thread. If you'd like to continue the discussion, let's wait until the real General Discussion (or similar) thread is back up. Or you can email me via the board. Let's keep this thread on topic. I'm off to have caviar and foie gras on my expense account...

~Spanky
spanky

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:28 pm

Sandwichman wrote:When the time comes to roll through the gate and into BRC I would love to share an ice cold beverage with ya.

Cold beverages are always appreciated! Especially by the time the gate is accepting participants! You can find me at the Café or Café Village:

~Spanky
spanky

Postby geekster » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:37 pm

YAYYYY!

Thanks, Spanky!

Now I can actually start reading some of the threads.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby bullD » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:01 pm

eh, spanky, easy man eeaaassssyyyyyy. financials are something that most of us are aware of and in jest, take a stab from time to time in regards to. welcome, friend. take a break man, you deserve it.

oh and don't be surprised when you have a cold beverage shoved in yer face, I'm good like that...
bullD

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:08 pm

bullD wrote:eh, spanky, easy man eeaaassssyyyyyy

heheheh. Yeah, I knee jerk react to that. :P My response is more for other folks who might not know (new folks) and come across this thread.

I'll go have a beer. I promise.

~Spanky
spanky

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:17 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:When logged on earlier today (+/- 2:30 PST?), I noticed someone appeared on my Buddies list, but not in the list of those logged on. I suspect the hidden member/buddy list thing may still be a problem.

Well, hmm. If they're your buddy, do they want to hide from you too? What do people think. Do you want people who are hidden NOT to show up in your buddy list? I think we can do that.
spanky

Postby GuinivereElise » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:18 pm

that's what I'm hoping for. Regardless of whether you have me listed as your buddy or not, if I want to be hidden, I want to be HIDDEN.
GuinivereElise

Postby bullD » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:21 pm

yeah, hidden is hidden, or so should be. good point GE.
bullD

Postby Lydia Love » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:11 pm

Thank you, by the way, for plonk.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby Lydia Love » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:28 pm

hmmm... just a thought here... but when someone puts you on their buddy list and you get the little PM telling you about it...

it might be handy if you have the immediate ability to put them on yours.

unless i'm missing something i had to click on their name in that popup, which took me to their profile, so I went to all posts by and had to actuallly visit a post in the thread to put them on...

there may be another way that is fewer steps... but the coolest would be one step.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:05 pm

Lydia Love wrote:it might be handy if you have the immediate ability to put them on yours.

If you go to the Contact Management thingy, and click "Buddy of..." you can bulk add people who have made you buddies. I know that's not exactly the same, but it saves clicking all around to find your buddies. I will see what I can do.

~Spanky
spanky

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:08 pm

GuinivereElise wrote:that's what I'm hoping for. Regardless of whether you have me listed as your buddy or not, if I want to be hidden, I want to be HIDDEN.

Should be working like that now. The last thing I have to do is if you're hidden and you come online as someone's buddy, they get a PM. But they're not listed on the forum home page anymore. At least I hope I got it right!

I'm off to a Café meeting now. Maybe I can hop back on later tonight to work on the other stuff...

~Spanky
spanky

Postby bullD » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:18 pm

thanks spanky!
bullD

Since you've changed the format..

Postby Taz » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:59 am

Since you have changed the format of the eplaya I have no idea how to navigate about it. How do I make a general request from the community? Does it mean I have to be a buddy with someone on board? :?:
Taz

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Safer Sex

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:17 am

spanky wrote:
Sandwichman wrote:When the time comes to roll through the gate and into BRC I would love to share an ice cold beverage with ya.

Cold beverages are always appreciated! Especially by the time the gate is accepting participants! You can find me at the Café or Café Village:

~Spanky
I don't know Spanky. Looks like you're about to do the DrillerKiller thing to that cold drink in the background to me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Since you've changed the format..

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:19 am

Taz wrote:Since you have changed the format of the eplaya I have no idea how to navigate about it. How do I make a general request from the community? Does it mean I have to be a buddy with someone on board? :?:
Still in sparten mode. We will have more fora and beable to start our own threads as they get more up and working.

Perhaps a notice to that effect on the index page?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:24 am

spanky wrote:
Lydia Love wrote:it might be handy if you have the immediate ability to put them on yours.

If you go to the Contact Management thingy, and click "Buddy of..." you can bulk add people who have made you buddies. I know that's not exactly the same, but it saves clicking all around to find your buddies. I will see what I can do.

~Spanky
This works splendidly. Thank you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Re: Since you've changed the format..

Postby spanky » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:08 pm

Taz wrote:Since you have changed the format of the eplaya I have no idea how to navigate about it. How do I make a general request from the community? Does it mean I have to be a buddy with someone on board? :?:

No, you don't have to buddy with people. Right now the board is still "truncated" in you wish. We are soliciting feedback about the general layout of the categories and forums and will turn more stuff back on next week.

For now, this is whatcha get. Soon. Sooooooon.

~Spanky
spanky

Postby gregori » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:13 pm

There was some brief discussion of new 'contact management' icons - since I had a few minutes free thi morning, I submit the following for your amusement.

Add Buddy

Ignore
Image Image

Disallow Contact
Image Image

Your suggestions and criticism warmly welcomed.

Grins,
G
gregori

Postby gregori » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:15 pm

Hmm... That transparency needs some help... (doh!)
G
gregori

Postby Tancorix » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:19 pm

Transparency issues aside, it's still a million times better than any smilies.
Tancorix

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:20 pm

gregori wrote:Ignore
Disallow Contact
Your suggestions and criticism warmly welcomed.

G
My personaly idea is that the add buddy one is a little banal/derivative. (dang, I shoulda softened that; the d-word is so mean.) And I do like that crossing out the "blah blah blah" a lot. "disallow contact" that I selected is basic and gets the job done.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Site Function