Contact List MOD Feedback

Use this space for bug reports or to discuss site functionality and statistics.

Do you like the new Contact List MOD?

No, I hate it.
No votes
No, it doesn't do what I want.
No votes
Not really, but I can live with it.
No votes
I don't care.
21%
Yes, but it could be better.
7%
Yes, it's great!
32%
About fucking time!!
21%
What are you talking about?
18%

Total votes : 28

Contact List MOD Feedback

Postby admin » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:24 pm

This thread is for discussion the newly installed Contact List MOD. If you have feedback about it, problems with its operation, or a discussion about its philosophy, here is the place to do it.

Here is a description of its functions:

Contact List is an modification for phpBB 2.0 that adds the combined features of a buddy list, an ignore list, and a "disallow contact" list. A Control Panel is also included, through which users may add or move other users to their lists.

The buddy list portion of Contact List allows users to create a list of 'buddies' composed of other users. This list can then be used to inform the user when 'buddies' are visiting the forum at the same time as themselves and to allow easy access to the 'buddies' usernames when sending private messages.

The ignore list portions of Contact List allow users to completely remove almost all indications of certain other users. When a user adds a person to his or her ignore list, the person's posts and topics will not be displayed to the user.

The 'disallow contact' list in Contact List lets users completely prevent
certain other users from contacting them through the forum. The 'disallowed' users will not be able to see the user's contact information (email address, IM address, etc.) or profile. They will also be prevented from sending private messages to the user. The user is still shown the 'disallowed' users' posts, etc.

Please review the FAQ about the Contact List Mod.

Thread drift will be removed.

~Spanky
admin
Site Admin

Postby bullD » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:40 pm

thread drift,,, weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

seriously,,, realising that there is a user that one does not want seeing personal contact info and then making it so seems a step behind because that certain user has already had the chance to see said info.

this is a step in the right direction but, obviously there are some users here who have a problem with one another. So, can this process be made in reverse? meaning, have users go through a reinstating of account process where they then have their chance, before any personal info is revealed, to disallow whomever they chose...

just a thought. I know, this is not a perfect world and if asshats want info asshats will find info
bullD

Postby GuinivereElise » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:07 pm

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but Spanky? If someone is plonked, can I still receive PMs from them? Just curious.
GuinivereElise

Postby Martiansky » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:32 pm

Duh! I just figured out where to find my buddy list. I thought Contact Management was for contacting "The Management"! DOH!

Hello everyone!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Tiara » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:48 pm

on my monitor, I see three smiley faces with plus signs under everyone's avatar. what do they indicate? can I have the smileys removed?
Tiara

Postby GuinivereElise » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Tiara wrote:on my monitor, I see three smiley faces with plus signs under everyone's avatar. what do they indicate? can I have the smileys removed?

if you roll your mouse over them, tags'll appear that tell you what each does.
GuinivereElise

Postby spanky » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:54 pm

GuinivereElise wrote:not sure if this is the right place to ask, but Spanky? If someone is plonked, can I still receive PMs from them? Just curious.

YES This is the place to ask that!

Yes you can receive PM's from them. I haven't investigated ignoring AND disallowing contact from them at the same time.

~Spanky
spanky

Postby spanky » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:55 pm

GuinivereElise wrote:
Tiara wrote:on my monitor, I see three smiley faces with plus signs under everyone's avatar. what do they indicate? can I have the smileys removed?

IMO, these icons suck and will be redesigned post haste. We just installed this MOD so, no time to make new icons...yet!

~Spanky
spanky

Postby actiongrl » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:55 pm

Duh, I drifted in the board I help admin!

Anyway, GE, yeah, I saw you're just funnin' around with how contact list works. I don't know how to set an expectation that folks won't actually use it to tease or mock about who's plonked, but I for one aim to use it as quietly as possible. ;)
actiongrl

Postby void » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:18 pm

Test by test user void of visibility and popup troubles. Please ignore me.
void

Postby geekster » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:27 pm

Crap, now I am getting the blank popup. Started after the first time I went to the content manager. Now any time I go back to the forum index or up a level from anywhere, I get one.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby geekster » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:35 pm

Also, once it starts happening, I can't make it stop. Logged out, killed all instances of IE, relaunched IE, came to eplay, logged in, got a blank popup.
geekster

Postby geekster » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:36 pm

AHA! Removing all buddies from the buddy list makes it go away. Note that I had buddy list set NOT to inform me when buddy came online.
geekster

Postby spanky » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:58 pm

Geekster:

Thanks for this tip! This should help us enormously in fixing the problem. In the meantime, the popup to buddy/ignore/disallow a user from within the forum that was not resizable...is now resizable.

~Spanky
spanky

Postby geekster » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:21 pm

The popup happens in exactly the same location and is exactly the same size as the popup that tells you that you have a new PM except the title of the window is "About: blank"

Like it is some kind of null window. Only happens when I have a buddy in the buddy list (one buddy, haven't added more to see if it goes away with more than one yet).

Also ... when someone ads you to the buddy list, the message contains two links. It says basically that a username has added you to their buddy list and asks if you want to manage the contact list. The username and the "contact list" management are both hyperlinks.

If you click the username link it says "no such user" even though there really IS such a user. It does allow you to add the user to the list. What I am wondering is when you change menu levels, if it is checking to see the status of your buddies. I suspect the path that it is checking is different than the path where the users actually are. Have you guys haxored the database name or field names or path or something? I have a suspicion it might be happening because part of the contact list thingy has some hard coded default path (some phpbb default path/name/something?) that you guys might have modified.

Just a guess.
geekster

Postby geekster » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:16 pm

Okay, found one problem. When a user adds you to their buddy list, the message that comes to you for the user has a malformed URL. The URL I got for kooshie was:

/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&
sid=bdcd1b54e2ac635585841ca55819fbdd&u=761

if I manually edit it to take out the "amp;" after each ampersand, it works.

/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&
sid=bdcd1b54e2ac635585841ca55819fbdd&u=761

works fine.
geekster

when i log on a little blank window opens

Postby joel the ornery » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:02 am

I am getting a little blank window when i log on... any other folks experiencing that event?
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:04 am

If I have a pop-up blocker and my IM is disabled, can I still use the buddy notification?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby GuinivereElise » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:19 am

spanky wrote:
GuinivereElise wrote:

IMO, these icons suck and will be redesigned post haste. We just installed this MOD so, no time to make new icons...yet!

~Spanky

THANK YOU. those icons DO suck.
GuinivereElise

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:41 am

Getting the little blank window, too. Seems like it's supposed to be a toolbox or something, since it doesn't reappear if I don't close it. Just minimized it and no duplicates appear.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby geekster » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:47 am

The blank window has something to do with the contacts mod. It only happens if you have someone in your buddy list.
geekster

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:50 am

Seems that way. I'm sure spanky is working on it.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby GuinivereElise » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:10 am

Hey, Spanky!

I know you're working hard, but this just came to my attention:

when i get a PM saying that a person has added me as a buddy,thier name appears as a link (presumably to their profile), however, when I click on that link, regardless of WHO is it, it sends me to a page that says "That User Does Not Exist"

must be a bug somewhere.
GuinivereElise

Postby geekster » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:17 am

Hey, GE, scroll up. If you remove both instances of characters "amp;" from the URL, it will work.
geekster

Postby GuinivereElise » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:19 am

geekster wrote:Hey, GE, scroll up. If you remove both instances of characters "amp;" from the URL, it will work.

true, but that's not something that we should HAVE to do, if the link works properly. I understand that removing the "amp"s will solve it for now, but think that it's something that could be fixed...
GuinivereElise

Postby geekster » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:11 am

Oh, yeah, it needs to be fixed. It was just an attempt to point out exactly what the problem is so it can be fixed.
geekster

Postby geekster » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:05 pm

I will be Genius is right. I'll bet that popup is supposed to show your buddy list but for some reason it is empty.
geekster

Postby stuart » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:06 pm

might I suggest

a heart
a monkey plugging it's ears
and a cartoon like spy (think the shadow or spyvsspy)

for the icons
call me baby
stuart

Postby bullD » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:52 pm

you may, baby.
bullD

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:06 pm

geekster wrote:edit it to take out the "amp;" after each ampersand, it works

Yes I had found the cause, but couldn't find the code where that happened. But I just did and it's fixed! Enjoy!

~Spanky
spanky

Next

Return to Site Function