We're doing it wrong...we know

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:05 pm

this thread is totally adrift.

(is eplaya getting exciting yet?)

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:10 pm

My comment had nothing to do with Technopatra's physical attributes, but rather her intellect.

What the hell were we talking about again?
Chai Guy

Postby spectabillis » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:35 pm

DVD Burner wrote:No one agrees all the time. Unfortunately or fortunately we live in a democracy. We all can come to a compromise......cant we?

Show me how the following is being addressed, because you obviously dont understand what the compromise is.

1 - people bring in present and past personal differences, conflicts, and personal agendas that have nothing to do with the board or burningman

2 - this board has to deal with it - community issues can no longer be discussed by everyone.

3 - this board has to deal with it - the majority of users experience and the board community is ruined by it

4 - this board has to deal with it - org volunteers trying to help no longer want to be involved

5 - this board has to deal with it - when problems arise no one can deal with them because all effort is being spent on dealing with it

6 - this board has to deal with it - some users and volunteers are threatened, stalked, harassed, and treated in ways that are wrong

I dont agree with your idea of 'compromise' or 'democracy' or whatever you want to call it DVD, not until you answer each and every one of those.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:47 pm

Chai Guy wrote:My comment had nothing to do with Technopatra's physical attributes, but rather her intellect.

What the hell were we talking about again?

At most.....and AT MOST I called her a hottie.

Had nothing to do nor did I say Physically that she was a hottie.

i said that she was a hottie.

In Mine eyes. no where in my statements did I say she looks......to be a hottie.

That is not to say that she is not.

You maybe read something negative into what I wrote.

That is possible......Most less than intelligent have a tendency to do that most times. That is not to say that you are less than intelligent.

when you post something to the equivalent in the tone of " what the hell are you talking about" that puts a newbie/user or whatever on the defensive/offensive.
Nowhere in my statement did I say or insinuate that I wanted to "bone" Technopatra. but the assumption was there.

I did state that I admired her ....and I did insinuate that that I admired her as the utmost intelligent woman I have ever encountered yet.

whatever you thought I posted that she was, was only in your mind.

:lol:

This is my point as to what can happen on message boards.

mind you I think the Board is an excellent forum to place what one feels and is an outlet to express what one is afraid of before what should encounter before one arrives to BM.

i also miss stuart, Alpha,Don Muerto, Force, KellY, rodent, Rob the Wop, Ranger Genius ,angrykittie25 and anyone else I have not posted from the past.

I dont see eplaya as this: Image

And this took a lot of time to post. Let me tell ya.

But you have and do crack me up. Image

Are you close to understanding where I am comming from?

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:53 pm

yes, way too much drift.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:06 pm

spectabillis wrote:
DVD Burner wrote:No one agrees all the time. Unfortunately or fortunately we live in a democracy. We all can come to a compromise......cant we?

Blow what you think I am thinking out of your behinds. I care not.

I posted what my opinion is, and if you think you can over power this message board as it is in decline so be it.
I have only posted my opinion.
I’m not interested in impressing you. I need not to. I am happy with myself. Maybe you folks are not.

But, insulting you was not my intention. Maybe you insulting me was yours....makes me never no nevermind.

I have not made it a point to insult anyone on this board. Maybe poke fun of every now and then but nothing more.

If this is the direction of Burningman or eplayathen let the others know.

I have no problems with it either way. You all will use what I produce. Either way, you will use what I create and I will make a profit.

I don’t do what I do for profit.

I am only here on eplaya to make things fun.

That is all.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:08 pm

Oh and hey,

If you Mod's/guys have that much of a problem with me or anyone else, why dont you just Banish us.

What up wit dat.

:twisted:

Weak.

i was being nice.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:10 pm

spectabillis wrote:

Show me how the following is being addressed, because you obviously dont understand what the compromise is.
1 - people bring in present and past personal differences, conflicts, and personal agendas that have nothing to do with the board or burningman
2 - this board has to deal with it - community issues can no longer be discussed by everyone.
3 - this board has to deal with it - the majority of users experience and the board community is ruined by it
4 - this board has to deal with it - org volunteers trying to help no longer want to be involved
5 - this board has to deal with it - when problems arise no one can deal with them because all effort is being spent on dealing with it
6 - this board has to deal with it - some users and volunteers are threatened, stalked, harassed, and treated in ways that are wrong

My first reaction to this is to say Boo Hoo. This is about dealing with the public in general and all the hassles that come with a community of any size, online or off. The people on this board are going to change but different variations of conflicts like we've already seen are going to happen. If the powers that be don't have the desire to step in and handle things as they come up which they clearly will then it's time to head over to the server and flip the switch.

IMHO what the board needs is leadership with power. The volunteers run because they have to go through a byzantine system to make change, it takes months to get things done. It's a freaking morass that drives people nuts. Who wants to spend time spinning their wheels?

I've thought about this and thought about this...and while it may bring howls of protest from some who's parades will get rained on I'm for having a strong moderator / admin that will crack the whip, kick ass, clean house, and essentially do the basic housekeeping chores without having to do leadership by committee. Again that's going to be controversial but look at the current mess. It's obvious that this place is jacked up...does anyone have other viable suggestions?
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby spectabillis » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:19 pm

DVD Burner wrote: Blow what you think I am thinking out of your behinds. I care not. I posted what my opinion is, and if you think you can over power this message board as it is in decline so be it.

So, when someone asks you a very direct question about the policy you react like this?

Seriously, put aside all of that and answer the questions.
spectabillis

Postby spectabillis » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:28 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:My first reaction to this is to say Boo Hoo. This is about dealing with the public in general and all the hassles that come with a community of any size, online or off. The people on this board are going to change but different variations of conflicts like we've already seen are going to happen. If the powers that be don't have the desire to step in and handle things as they come up which they clearly will then it's time to head over to the server and flip the switch.

IMHO what the board needs is leadership with power. The volunteers run because they have to go through a byzantine system to make change, it takes months to get things done. It's a freaking morass that drives people nuts. Who wants to spend time spinning their wheels?

I've thought about this and thought about this...and while it may bring howls of protest from some who's parades will get rained on I'm for having a strong moderator / admin that will crack the whip, kick ass, clean house, and essentially do the basic housekeeping chores without having to do leadership by committee. Again that's going to be controversial but look at the current mess. It's obvious that this place is jacked up...does anyone have other viable suggestions?

Interesting, because I thought you believed in more of a self-moderating board where moderators did not use that kind of power? What changed?
spectabillis

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:36 pm

Lots of thought on your ideas along with experiences and frustrations over on my own board prompted the change in position.

I'll go one step further and say get rid of the moderators here and just bump all three of you up to Emily's status. Seriously. And quickly, providing you, Chai, and AntiM would do it. You don't have to use the power but have it available to use when needed....
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby HughMungus » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:18 pm

So could someone explain to me what the current responsibilities of a moderator are?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby spectabillis » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:34 pm

HughMungus wrote:So could someone explain to me what the current responsibilities of a moderator are?

please read the posts from the beginning of this topic.
spectabillis

Postby HughMungus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:49 pm

spectabillis wrote:
HughMungus wrote:So could someone explain to me what the current responsibilities of a moderator are?

please read the posts from the beginning of this topic.

I just did. I found your list of what you think your responsibilites are from a year ago. Is that list unchanged?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby spectabillis » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:59 am

mostly, but its nothing static, it changes as the board and community does. thats why reading the discussion is better in understanding because people can get a sense of the ideas behind the role and why.
spectabillis

Postby SED » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:11 pm

How are we dealing with trolls these days?
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:15 pm

SED wrote:How are we dealing with trolls these days?

Well uuummmm,

You're here so what do you think?

:P

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:23 pm

for the most part a case by case basis. you dont always know what are the reasons behind a persons statements. sometimes what appears as trolling is someone that has a ligitimate issue but just not stating it well, things get confused, people start throwing in personal insults and such... so its kinda dangerous to just think in terms of 'trolls.'

this approach doesn't always work that well when you only have a limited ammount of time and effort, things get overlooked. during times of high board tension, you just have to try and deal with the worst of it.

but the interactions moderators have sees on the board is a small fraction. its usually best to have those discussions via PM's.
spectabillis

Postby spectabillis » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:25 pm

DVD Burner wrote:You're here so what do you think?

how many times do you have to be asked to keep that out of policy feedback?

keep it constructive.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:29 pm

Ok ok.....

(But that one was just too hard to pass up.)

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby HughMungus » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:37 pm

spectabillis wrote:mostly, but its nothing static, it changes as the board and community does. thats why reading the discussion is better in understanding because people can get a sense of the ideas behind the role and why.

What about deleting and/or reprimanding people over personal attacks?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:52 pm

HughMungus wrote:
What about deleting and/or reprimanding people over personal attacks?

That is in affect and does happen. I am witness to that.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:49 am

HughMungus wrote:What about deleting and/or reprimanding people over personal attacks?

What about it?

If its a question of the policy surrounding it, there is a discussion - viewtopic.php?t=11585 - so that should be moved there.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:57 am

spectabillis, Touche'.

You have earned my respect.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:47 am

Last one for the evening.

what is exactly is a "3 playan" or "eplayan definitinon" of a "Troll"?

is it someone that disagrees with someone that has a particular view point that most BM-ers disagree with?

should a new thread be created on the subject?

:?:

night!

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:58 am

One heck of a smilie huh?

nite again.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:49 pm

DVD, out of your last 4 posts here only one was on topic.

ED: make that 5.
spectabillis

Postby HughMungus » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:46 pm

spectabillis wrote:
HughMungus wrote:What about deleting and/or reprimanding people over personal attacks?

What about it?

If its a question of the policy surrounding it, there is a discussion - viewtopic.php?t=11585 - so that should be moved there.

Which ended with your post: "Since it seems most of the discussion is oriented around what constitutes a personal attack and not around the proceedure, at least we can move foreward with preparations while making sure those concerns are addressed."

So what's the answer? For example, are "dumbass", "psychotic" or "stupid" allowed?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Application for Moderator / Do-ocratator

Postby Captain Fuckwit » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:08 pm

Captain Fuckwit’s Application for Moderator / Do-ocratator

(10/12/05)
There is no one here who is qualified to censor, against those whose opinions "matter", those whose opinions are (perceived as) extraneous personal comments. There is no one here who has the overarching intellect to comprehensively know the intentions and subtleties of every writer- What may appear to a "personal remark" may actually be a design toward a higher intent at "herding cats". The Moderator(s) should not attempt to try to moderate opinion. Moderation has to evolve of itself via written public rebuttal.

Nonetheless,

(03/24/05)
If you can allow me "Moderator" priviledges for three (3) threads of my naming, I can return to you one (1) highly successful thread in terms of clarity, content and brevity. When I deliver the thread to you after ten (10) months, I'll tell you how I did it! It will be a challenge to me on how to cope with a over-proliferating user like DVD Burner without censoring him or her. He'd be welcome to boing-boing his brains out in my third thread. My second thread would be an open society. My first thread would be closed digest of what was produced in the second thread. Two of the three threads would have full Edit capability. And I should have the opportunity to try this, over every one else, because I am the one who asked for it first. I've presented a plan. I'm a Doacratator. Or I am a Fascist. Give me three (3) threads of my naming and find out!

Sincerely yours,
Captain Fuckwit
Captain Fuckwit

Postby spectabillis » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:48 pm

HughMungus wrote:So what's the answer? For example, are "dumbass", "psychotic" or "stupid" allowed?

you can ask that there.
spectabillis

PreviousNext

Return to ePlaya Feedback