Categories and Forums Discussion

We're doing it wrong...we know

How do you feel about the current ePlaya structure?

It's great!
7%
Works for me, but could be improved.
14%
Never found it a problem.
28%
OK, but could use some work.
18%
It really needs work.
17%
What were you guys thinking?
7%
What day is it again?
10%

Total votes : 72

Postby bullD » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:58 am

yep, III's does it for me. nice work.
bullD

Postby III » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:58 am

oh - and this week only - i'll do mockups of any other serious (and unique seeming) proposals that are posted here.
III

Postby III » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:14 am

one more comment: i like geekster's idea of having a (possibly admin/moderator only) sticky thread in each category describing what acceptable posts might be, as well as how one might find other resources, or old threads on common topics.
III

Postby bullD » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:25 am

III:

can you do a mock up of any thread page that shows the very ugly add-ignore-disallow icons as simply A I D ?
A = add
I = ignore
D= disallow

Also, could you do a mock up of a Post A Reply page that has NO emoticons? I think we should at least see how simply elegant it would be...

oh yeah, geeky's idea is very cool but wouldn't one more general sticky at the top of the categories page suffice?
bullD

Postby III » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:32 am

>can you do a mock up of any thread page that shows the very ugly add-ignore-disallow icons as simply A I D ?

i could, but i don't think it's as critical to getting this place rolling again as finalizing the subject categories would be.

>Also, could you do a mock up of a Post A Reply page that has NO emoticons? I think we should at least see how simply elegant it would be...

i could, see above. i'm not all that interested in fighting formatting battles, though i'm inclined to agree with you on both of these.

>oh yeah, geeky's idea is very cool but wouldn't one more general sticky at the top of the categories page suffice?

but the category page doesn't list threads - hence no stickies. furthermore, the specifics in each section are probably all a bit different. i think one sticky per category would be great...
III

Postby bullD » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:46 am

[quote="III
but the category page doesn't list threads - hence no stickies. furthermore, the specifics in each section are probably all a bit different. i think one sticky per category would be great...[/quote]

dern that makes sense, duhhhhhhh on my part. he he he
bullD

Postby GuinivereElise » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:06 pm

III wrote:i have done a couple of front page mockups:

this one is based on spectabillis's proposed layout.

this one is based on mine.

just wanted to put my $.02 in:

I really like trey's second mockup.

that is all.
GuinivereElise

Postby Martiansky » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:24 pm

I like Trey's forum mockup, too.
Nice job!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Postby Rob the Wop » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:40 pm

I'm a greywater guppy.
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

Postby spectabillis » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:44 pm

Tancorix wrote:No offense Spectabillis but Trey's design has my vote.
No offense taken, this is not a competition.

III wrote:i have done a couple of front page mockups:
this one is based on spectabillis's proposed layout.
this one is based on mine.

Thanks for doing this, it gives a different perspective to see it drawn up. And honestly - its more important to get the feedback from others than any one persons idea of how it should be.

The reason I wanted them more separated:
- limited crossposting,
- separates a chatty 'community' into more interactive areas
- new users may feel more inclined to interact

But this might all be adressed in the 'sticy rules' idea.

Yes/no? Anyone?
spectabillis

Postby blueniteowl » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:50 pm

I actually like spectabillis' design. But that may be my OCD tendencies showing through. I like that it's cleaned up and organized.
blueniteowl

Postby III » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:21 pm

>The reason I wanted them more separated:
>- limited crossposting,
>- separates a chatty 'community' into more interactive areas
>- new users may feel more inclined to interact

all valid reasons. the reasons i went with my design are:
- fits on one page - no scrolling to find the right place.
- vague areas allow for more organic development of discussion.

you'll note that the reasons are mostly orthogonal, though the tool being used requires tradeoffs in the final implementation.
III

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:47 pm

I prefer spectabilius's by a small margin.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby spanky » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:52 pm

Yay! After my weekend, it is great to come back and see this progress being made. Super-thank you to III for making those mockups. AG is out of town until tomorrow, so we're gonna push the restructuring of the threads back until she is around to look at the mockups too. Sorry :(

I liked both. Of course.

I like spectabilius' because it has a bit more granularity and seemed a bit clearer to a newcomer where to go for what.

I like III's because it has great language and is short and concise. I am thinking of a hybrid of the two. The nice short format, with subforums used to get the granularity of spectabilius'. An example of how a subforum appears can be found on the home page for Archive/2004 Event/Lost & Found. I will try to make a mock up myself of this idea, unless III beats me to it ;)

Please keep discussing! The more feedback the better so we can move forward and get the forums OPEN! :)

~Spanky

\<>/
spanky

Postby spanky » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:28 pm

OK, I finished my mock up. I printed out the 2 proposals and the current eplaya and tried to mash them all together, making sure all of the bases were mostly covered. Let me know what you think:

Presented all together for review:

Spectabillis's proposed layout.

III's proposed layout.

Spanky's attempt to merge them.

I don't even dare say this is perfect. It's just a stab at having a little more granularity with the nice & clean design that III put forth. We can have subforums for the subforms as well, like Lost & Found can still have the forums we talk about in the other thread.

Thoughts?

~Spanky
Last edited by spanky on Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spanky

Postby Tancorix » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:44 pm

I like the mixed version, short, simple, clean, and the Year Round Connections area dovetails in with the LH vision for the Regionals. And the Start Here section has been needed since Day 1.

Make my vote choice #3!
Tancorix

Postby spectabillis » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:05 pm

spanky wrote:OK, I finished my mock up. I printed out the 2 proposals and the current eplaya and tried to mash them all together, making sure all of the bases were mostly covered. Let me know what you think:

Hell of a lot better than my idea. I think III's comment of fitting on one page is too important to ignore, and I like less structure than what I originally posted after seeing the examples.

Would like to hear a new users perspective but dont think they are going to break tradition by posting one.
spectabillis

Postby III » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:54 pm

i much prefer spanky's layout to the one we currently have.

my concerns are, though, that (a) the content of the sub fora isn't all that clear, especially to someone who is new to the event as well as the fora, and (b) i have a preference for letting divisions grow organically, which points to fewer more loosely defined areas rather than more tightly defined areas. if you look at the old statistics, i think you'll see that there was a very uneven distribution between the different areas - even more so before the last restructuring. that indicates to me that the partitions as envisioned by the admins were not reflective of how the community ended up using the board. i don't have enough ego (and i've got plenty, believe me) to think i can predict how the board will be used, therefore i'm prone to leaving it somewhat open and free for interpretation.

the one thing missing from spectabillis's (and spanky's) list is the unmoderated area. speaking of which - how's the whole moderation thing going to work? i nominate spectabillis and geekster as initial heads/moderators/seeds.
III

Postby synchronicity » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:19 pm

spectabillis wrote:Would like to hear a new users perspective but dont think they are going to break tradition by posting one.

Ahem.....If I might be so bold. I came here looking for knowledge and enlightenment. (I know, go ahead and rub it in.) But have found some fun people. As a newby, (especially if one is not "forum literate") we need to be told where to go. ( I asked for that one too )
Please note that each effort has built upon the previous, Hence cudos for all efforts.
But so far, I like Spanky's best. (But I do like "Greeters station" over "Start Here".) - (except that "Start Here" is SOOO clear.)

I HATE the EMOTICONS! BURN THEM! (please?)

The Newby has perspected.
"I never know when I'm on the road to oblivion, I only know when I arrive."
synchronicity

Postby synchronicity » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:21 pm

The only thing I need is the ability to edit. (Sometimes posts don't look quite like I intended.)
synchronicity

Postby Nightterror » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:35 pm

just curious - sync - if you are a newbie then how do you know you need the ability to edit and how do you know that we don't have it.

Personally Spanky's version was a bit overwhelming - too many choices.

I liked III's - seemed to be straight up.
I express my excitement by brutally interrogating whomever is nearby
Nightterror

Postby synchronicity » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:49 pm

[quote="Nightterror"]just curious - sync - if you are a newbie then how do you know you need the ability to edit and how do you know that we don't have it.[/quote]

Ahem....I may be a newby, but only to this board. You may have the ability, but i don't (per the note on the bottom of the page, and the lack of a button - It may be linked to post count, I have no way of knowing).
On other boards, I regularly "clean up" my posts after seeing them. I really hate missppellings...
Or when someone Xposts the same info, it can be deleted as necessary.
synchronicity

Postby synchronicity » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:50 pm

Nightterror wrote:just curious - sync - if you are a newbie then how do you know you need the ability to edit and how do you know that we don't have it.

Personally Spanky's version was a bit overwhelming - too many choices.

I liked III's - seemed to be straight up.
synchronicity

Postby Isotopia » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:51 pm

Ok, here's the tangent. First a disclaimer, it's not meant to single out Isotopia who is Badger's sock puppet. But the subject of sock puppets has caused serious tension in the past and I've been one of the guilty ones behind it. (But I'm far from being alone so don't sling all your arrows at me). So since the board is being revamped, I'm bringing this up.
1: Does the board want to establish a tolerant or anti-sock policy?
1a: If such a policy is established do we need to revamp the CG's to reflect it?
2: Are there technical solutions available in PHPBB for Spanky to implement that could restrict duplicate accounts if that's what the board wants?

Am wondering if out of courtesy and maintaining some semblence of civility here that you'd NOT make reference to me in ANY way re. topical issues - especially if the example you choose to provide might be just as appropriate and salient using your own past posting behaviors (socks) to make a point. You sound like a two day ex-smoker ranting about the health effects of cigarettes. Please stop.
Isotopia

Postby synchronicity » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:51 pm

There were two perfect examples - double oops.
synchronicity

Postby Badger » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:53 pm

Please stop.

Yes, please stop.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby synchronicity » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:54 pm

Three
synchronicity

Postby Tancorix » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:34 pm

Badger, have you already forgot Spanky's sigline war request? If so check out Page 6 of the Empire Store thread and read further. The community has made it quite clear they don't want to see it.

I made a mess and an ass out of myself on here, that much is true. I ADMIT IT. And to anyone that will accept it, I apologize for that behavior. However there is nothing keeping me from helping to clean up that mess and suggest things to prevent it from happening again. We all make mistakes, it's what we learn from them that counts.

And I will not give up my right to use any examples I see fit to illustrate a point. My socks are retired, yours are active. That is an undisputable fact. Now can we get back to more important things so Spanky can get the rest of the board online? If you want to rip me, you know where to find me and comments are on. Don't spread your hate here anymore.
Tancorix

Postby spectabillis » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:39 pm

I am not excusing Badger's tone, nor your example, but it would be appreciated if you could make the attempt to use non-personal examples in Feedback threads while people try to discuss issues. Doing that has a tendency for people to feel the need to defend themseves, as both Bader and you are presently doing.

I am not trying to embarass or appear condescending, I am concerned about the amount of progress that can be achieved in community feedback without being sidetracked.

There will probably be another thread created where you can address your concern, and I think you raise a very valid one.
spectabillis

Postby the_iconoclast » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:57 pm

spanky wrote:OK, I finished my mock up. I printed out the 2 proposals and the current eplaya and tried to mash them all together, making sure all of the bases were mostly covered. Let me know what you think:

Presented all together for review:

Spectabillis's proposed layout.

III's proposed layout.

Spanky's attempt to merge them.

Thoughts?

~Spanky

I, for one, really like the merged version. Seems very easy to navigate.
the_iconoclast

PreviousNext

Return to ePlaya Feedback