Categories and Forums Discussion

We're doing it wrong...we know

How do you feel about the current ePlaya structure?

It's great!
7%
Works for me, but could be improved.
14%
Never found it a problem.
28%
OK, but could use some work.
18%
It really needs work.
17%
What were you guys thinking?
7%
What day is it again?
10%

Total votes : 72

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:55 am

III wrote:am i the only who thinks that ticket exchange and rideshare might be better served by other applications other than a bbs?

The Strawberry Music Festival has a link on their "main" page which directs people to the (non-org) BBS for the event (Called the "Strawberry Phorum") where both tix and rideshare are main topics (like BRC's 2005 ticket one), so anyone who needs to do either can access it from the Festival's main page. They've done it for a while and it has worked surprisingly well. Otherwise you have a lot of ad-hoc and "catch-as-catch-can" (on things like ebay and craigs list) trying to find either. These also post on theirs in reverse order (new posts on top) which would make it easier than the "first one first" that we have, but it's the best way to arrange either that I've found.

BBS
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby spectabillis » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:21 pm

III wrote:am i the only who thinks that ticket exchange and rideshare might be better served by other applications other than a bbs?

what kind of applications?
spectabillis

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:25 pm

I'd suggest a hostile takeover of Craigs list, but that's probably a violation of TOS.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby actiongrl » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:42 pm

Rideshare actually is, but people tend to start those threads in other places...

I am a fan of the 18 fora being displayed within the folders. It's not really just the new user - I like knowing what I'm goign to find when I go into an area, without having to click....and I believe Haunani our user experience guru had good thigns to say about this layout...
actiongrl

Postby III » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:57 pm

>what kind of applications?

custom ones.

i'd imagine the ticket exchange to be some sort of dual bidding system, with matches made for buying and selling.

rideshare would be similar, with need ride and got ride sections detailing # of people and how much stuff they can take.

for both, hookups would be on a first come first serve basis, but allow either party to back out if they felt iffy and go with the next choice in line.

of course, someone (like me, say) would have to volunteer to write them. it seems like it'd be pretty trivial, though, compared to, say, a bbs.
III

Postby spectabillis » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:33 pm

I really want to hear what people think about this new structure.

I am especially interested in hearing what new users think since they might have the best feedback if its intuitive or not. I am struggling a bit and am wondering if its from past influence of more flat directory style boards.

Also, side item that am not sure belongs under Categories and Forums, but one of the fist things that struck me was the number of redundant and mis-placed threads that could really use some pruning.
spectabillis

Postby Martiansky » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:45 pm

IMO, going through 26 pages of Q&A's is kind of a drag. That's where sub-catagories might help.
Otherwise I like the forum.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:20 pm

Spanky.. Could the Q&A be under the “Greeters Station - Start Here”?
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:04 am

The one problem I was having with the new structure: ie, having to click so often to get to where I"m going, turns out to have a simple solution in place, subcatagory lynx.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Zane5100 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:16 am

The structure still strikes me as being a bit kludgy--but I can't think of how to improve it. Guess it's just another thing to get used to.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

Postby spectabillis » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:48 am

Zane5100 wrote:The structure still strikes me as being a bit kludgy--but I can't think of how to improve it. Guess it's just another thing to get used to.

Kludgy, meaning awkward?
spectabillis

Postby Zane5100 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:19 pm

spectabillis wrote:
Zane5100 wrote:The structure still strikes me as being a bit kludgy--but I can't think of how to improve it. Guess it's just another thing to get used to.

Kludgy, meaning awkward?

Partly.

More the feeling is one of thought-out improvisation (pardon the oxymoron) that kinda fits stuff in, but not completely. Some things fit in well and are intuitive to find, but other things take a minute to figure out--especially if your organizational logic is different than the one implemented here.
Zane5100

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:46 pm

Zane5100 wrote:--especially if your organizational logic is different than the one implemented here.
This is a fly in so many ointments. For most of my life I have found real world objects by remembering the position of my body when I put it down. (Muscle memory?)

How do you replicate that on a computer bbs?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Zane5100 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:54 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Zane5100 wrote:--especially if your organizational logic is different than the one implemented here.
This is a fly in so many ointments. For most of my life I have found real world objects by remembering the position of my body when I put it down. (Muscle memory?)

How do you replicate that on a computer bbs?

I'm not sure you can for all people.

I do think that people will either pick up on/get used to/learn the system as they go along here (or will choose to reject it outright for whatever reason). However, the gist of my point was that it still has a feel around the edges of "we'll put this here because it makes sense to me" without seeing/creating a better alternative that maybe lurking out there in the ether.

Is it functional? I think to some, yes. To others, not at all. I think most will find their ease of use on finding what they want/need falling somewhere in between the two extremes.

Okay, I think I've flogged this deceased ungulate enough...
Zane5100

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:58 pm

Aha, I was going after nothing's gonna please everyone, not the best possible/most elegant solution.

Does "Case Studies" belong in "Feture Requests"?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby spectabillis » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:59 pm

Zane5100 wrote:I do think that people will either pick up on/get used to/learn the system as they go along here (or will choose to reject it outright for whatever reason).

My prob with that, newbs will not have the motivation to spend the time to learn and participate - and just not bother.
spectabillis

Postby Zane5100 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:09 pm

spectabillis wrote:newbs will not have the motivation to spend the time to learn and participate - and just not bother.

Yup. I see the same problem.

Then again, when I first start posting here, there was a frightening amount of stuff to look through, but I worked through what I needed to, and learned on the way. Others will do the same, if they want to.

Also, I think some newbies will continue posting in inappropriate categories and continue the lovely cross-posting phenomenon (to make sure *everyone!* sees what they've got to say and how important it is!).

But, I guess that's now your job to deal with, eh?
Zane5100

Postby spectabillis » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:36 pm

Zane5100 wrote:But, I guess that's now your job to deal with, eh?

bastid
spectabillis

Postby spanky » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:39 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Does "Case Studies" belong in "Feture Requests"?

I would be happy to moderate a case studies forum under ePlaya Feedback. I don't think it currently fits in any of the fora.

~Spanky

\<>/
spanky

Postby Zane5100 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:09 pm

spectabillis wrote:
Zane5100 wrote:But, I guess that's now your job to deal with, eh?

bastid

pawn
Zane5100

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:41 pm

I'm wondering about the threads that newbies start to introduce themselves and make themselves feel comfortable. Not the ones focused on particular problems per se but "Hi i'm looking forward to my first year. . ."
I'm not sure I want a change, what would that be--put them all in their own forum? but I'm also not sure if this is the right way either.

Oh well.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby spectabillis » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:48 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm wondering about the threads that newbies start to introduce themselves... I'm not sure I want a change, what would that be--put them all in their own forum? but I'm also not sure if this is the right way either.

Actually, this is the third time the intro thread placement has been mentioned since the layout change. I thought it should be moved under community, so if new threads were created by newbs it would be around there.

Yes, no, other ideas?
spectabillis

Postby emily sparkle » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:55 pm

maybe in the greeters station? where are they showing up mostly?
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai
emily sparkle

Postby spectabillis » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:02 pm

emily sparkle wrote:maybe in the greeters station? where are they showing up mostly?

Crap, dont know where I noted it, my bad. But I think there were a couple in General Discussion.

I thought having Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You... was a confusing placement under Q & A, Tips and Tricks and thought it better under General Discussion?

What 'chu think?
spectabillis

Postby Badger » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:02 pm

Actually, this is the third time the intro thread placement has been mentioned since the layout change. I thought it should be moved under community, so if new threads were created by newbs it would be around there.

How about an 'Introduce' thread at the top of all main topics. Make mention that the purpose is to familiarize everyone with the basic stuff and once done encourage them to post to the thread which seems most appropriate to what they are either looking for or want to discuss.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby spectabillis » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:07 pm

Badger wrote:How about an 'Introduce' thread at the top of all main topics. Make mention that the purpose is to familiarize everyone with the basic stuff and once done encourage them to post to the thread which seems most appropriate to what they are either looking for or want to discuss.

You know, I was thinking a sticky FAQ like thread at the top as an overview of each main Topic along with certain guidelines like thread ownership, drift, crossposting... which sorta sounds like what you are saying.
spectabillis

Postby Badger » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:53 pm

You know, I was thinking a sticky FAQ like thread at the top as an overview of each main Topic along with certain guidelines like thread ownership, drift, crossposting... which sorta sounds like what you are saying.

Pretty much is as far as I can tell.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby spectabillis » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:13 pm

Badger wrote:Pretty much is as far as I can tell.

Something I am going to poke at again at the next meeting, jump in that if ya want. I am also going to mention an intro page in the START HERE Topic that *ideally* could have the same info, but geared twords newbies.
spectabillis

Postby GuinivereElise » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:32 am

I'd like to revisit my opinion of the layout of the main index page. Since it's impliment, I've visited several times (by which I mean approx. two dozen?), and each time I login, I am struck dumb and stumbling over where to go. It's so busy, with the links under the main headings, and the descriptions... I leave just as quickly as I enter, because it, very simply, hurts me. It hurts my eyes, it confuses me, and I think it might be time to reevaluate it and see how it is working for others. I'd LOVE to get a few newbie opinions on it, but, frankly, I think that we may have a difficult time figuring out how to get them here to do that... I think that the current visual confusion might be turning more than a few newbies right around and back out the door through which they came. It's not at all inviting. I would really like to see it pared back, simplified, with just the titles, and perhaps the descriptions, on the index page.

My humble opinion. Take it as you will.
GuinivereElise

Postby Tiara » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:15 pm

I would suggest that as a start the "Hello and Welcome" and "Q&A Forum Etiquette" threads be moved out of the Preparation area (which I see as oriented toward getting ready for the event) and into the Greeters Station area, which is focused on orientation to the eplaya.
Tiara

PreviousNext

Return to ePlaya Feedback