Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby maryanimal » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:43 pm

This an interesting thread. I've never read it before.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
User avatar
maryanimal
 
Posts: 3849
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:29 am

Savannah wrote:I'm not familiar with the specific background you're referring to, but it is a divisive thread, in my opinion.

I don't know if divisive (etc) is sufficient to qualify for locking or deleting it, because heavy-handed moderation doesn't tend to go over very well, here.



My, my.. How things have changed, eh? :wink: :lol:
Last edited by junglesmacks on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby Ansgard » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:34 am

I think Trilobyte needs his moderator snipped. In fact, a petition will be circulated so that this may happen. He is way too abusive with his power.
Day of anger, day of mourning, when to ashes all is burning.
User avatar
Ansgard
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:41 pm
Location: Benicia

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby graidawg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:07 am

I think saying Trilo needs his mod powers snipped is really stupid in my opinion, first it means that any personal attacks, Which are specifically banned by the terms and condidtions can be discussed by the moderators at large t discuss for reasonable content. Second it means that multiple threads get merged which saves a lot of frustration, annoyance and reposting. third it means we get answers to relevant questions from bmorg quick rather than not at all

so as to the question in the topic title, yes lock or delete personal attack topics - they can be dealt with on pm or they can cause divisions in this community based more on who is more popular than any real likes or dislikes
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby AntiM » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:15 am

Here goes a personal observation. Different people want different levels of moderation. I was pretty lax, and it worked before eplaya grew up and blew up. I used to let some conflicts go because I simply couldn't do much in reality other than lock an attack thread or make it vanish completely. The time out power wasn't in my toolkit. With a mod team, conflict gets more scrutiny. Time out is open to the team if people don't cut the crap once nicely asked. A heavier hand is needed because we aren't the inbred community we once were. I am glad to see it, because things are creeping back to being ugly.

Plonk the people you can't stand. I do. And if you're in a pissing match and asked to back down, think heavily on any and all of your posts immediately after. Mods can't tell what you're thinking, they can only judge posts. Judge in the context of the warning and the previous pissing contest. If a new post can be taken as one more jab, don't fucking post it.

Outright attacks get placed in quarantine for examination by the whole mod team. A new feature, and very useful.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16387
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:41 am

Ansgard wrote:I think Trilobyte needs his moderator snipped. In fact, a petition will be circulated so that this may happen. He is way too abusive with his power.



careful what you wish for Skippy!!
Trilo.......and the whole mod team, are doing a dang good job!! As things have grown, it's taken many more folks than back when AntiM (turns and bows to her), mostly did it all........with help randomly by the rest of her team.

I don't know how long you've read here, but there has been some damn nasty, if not bordering on dangerous threatening posts and threads, and they do need to be dealt with.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:13 am

Damn. I must have missed some good shit!

I don't always agree with every moderator's call, but there's lots of things I don't agree with in general, and many more that I do. But, considering the whole picture, I think the mods are doing a great job, especially Trillo. His technical expertise together with his connection with BMORG has brought this board to a position of prominence rather than the afterthought it appeared to be for years.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby graidawg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:22 am

jkisha wrote:Damn. I must have missed some good shit!

I don't always agree with every moderator's call, but there's lots of things I don't agree with in general, and many more that I do. But, considering the whole picture, I think the mods are doing a great job, especially Trillo. His technical expertise together with his connection with BMORG has brought this board to a position of prominence rather than the afterthought it appeared to be for years.


why isn't there a like button here yet.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:02 pm

graidawg wrote:
jkisha wrote:Damn. I must have missed some good shit!

I don't always agree with every moderator's call, but there's lots of things I don't agree with in general, and many more that I do. But, considering the whole picture, I think the mods are doing a great job, especially Trillo. His technical expertise together with his connection with BMORG has brought this board to a position of prominence rather than the afterthought it appeared to be for years.


why isn't there a like button here yet.

Because we're better than facebook, dammit!

And don't you forget that, soldier!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37413
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby Ansgard » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:03 pm

ygmir wrote:
Ansgard wrote:I think Trilobyte needs his moderator snipped. In fact, a petition will be circulated so that this may happen. He is way too abusive with his power.



careful what you wish for Skippy!!
Trilo.......and the whole mod team, are doing a dang good job!! As things have grown, it's taken many more folks than back when AntiM (turns and bows to her), mostly did it all........with help randomly by the rest of her team.

I don't know how long you've read here, but there has been some damn nasty, if not bordering on dangerous threatening posts and threads, and they do need to be dealt with.


That's easy to say, when you don't know the whole story. TomServo was banned for defending himself, and ultimately accusing Trilobyte of harassment. He has been struggling with the double edged sword of protecting his reputation with being accused of spreading drama. I know he likes to put up his front of not caring, but I think the attacks on him (by a truly vile individual ) are starting to wear him down. So, please get all the facts, before you hang the wrong person. Trilobyte did overstep his authority. Plain and simple, enough said.
Day of anger, day of mourning, when to ashes all is burning.
User avatar
Ansgard
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:41 pm
Location: Benicia

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Ansgard wrote:
ygmir wrote:
Ansgard wrote:I think Trilobyte needs his moderator snipped. In fact, a petition will be circulated so that this may happen. He is way too abusive with his power.



careful what you wish for Skippy!!
Trilo.......and the whole mod team, are doing a dang good job!! As things have grown, it's taken many more folks than back when AntiM (turns and bows to her), mostly did it all........with help randomly by the rest of her team.

I don't know how long you've read here, but there has been some damn nasty, if not bordering on dangerous threatening posts and threads, and they do need to be dealt with.


That's easy to say, when you don't know the whole story. TomServo was banned for defending himself, and ultimately accusing Trilobyte of harassment. He has been struggling with the double edged sword of protecting his reputation with being accused of spreading drama. I know he likes to put up his front of not caring, but I think the attacks on him (by a truly vile individual ) are starting to wear him down. So, please get all the facts, before you hang the wrong person. Trilobyte did overstep his authority. Plain and simple, enough said.


sure, enough said, if you want to be last......but I disagree, totally. I do happen to know the "whole story".
I think the actions taken, across the board, with all parties, are right, just and fair.
we just differ in opinion, because your friend got it.
and I like Tom. But, I think time out, for all involved, was smart!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Ansgard wrote:I think Trilobyte needs his moderator snipped. In fact, a petition will be circulated so that this may happen. He is way too abusive with his power.


Puhleeze. Abuse of power? Not even close.

If anything Trilo deserves kudos for his fair, impartial, and downright outstanding job of moderating the board.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby tamarakay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:59 pm

I have to support Trilo too. He can seem a bit heavy handed sometimes, I was involved in a situation where I think he overstepped it a bit, but no long term harm done. Completely balanced out by the long term good he provides.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token


http://www.dyewithdignity.com
User avatar
tamarakay
 
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:27 pm
Location: Texas
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby graidawg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:01 pm

anyway i prefer being told off by savannah. Sav makes me feel BAD when she tells me off.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby Savannah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Trilo sometimes has to be the heavy because . . . I'm not so good at it.

Tell you off, Grai?

When have I told you off? :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10517
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby graidawg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Savannah wrote:Trilo sometimes has to be the heavy because . . . I'm not so good at it.

Tell you off, Grai?

When have I told you off? :lol:



in my dreams :oops:
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby Savannah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:12 pm

What was I wearing? :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10517
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby graidawg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Savannah wrote:What was I wearing? :D


a gentleman never discisses these things in public.

:evil: since i'm not a gentleman it was the red swimsuit with lifeguard on it
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby Savannah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Hahahhaa!

(Nice sig).
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10517
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby graidawg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Savannah wrote:Hahahhaa!

(Nice sig).


thanks now i can sign on and smile everyday as i misremember when you said it
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:53 pm

*swoon*
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby Ansgard » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:03 pm

ygmir wrote:  I do happen to know the "whole story".


Sorry, but you don't. And I say this with 300% certainty. There are others on this board who actually do.
Day of anger, day of mourning, when to ashes all is burning.
User avatar
Ansgard
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:41 pm
Location: Benicia

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Ansgard wrote:
ygmir wrote:  I do happen to know the "whole story".


Sorry, but you don't. And I say this with 300% certainty. There are others on this board who actually do.


I think the entire active mod team has Trilo's back in the current situation. It's a time-out on an internet board, not a character attack.

And that's all I'm saying on the subject.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 7105
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Ansgard wrote:
ygmir wrote:  I do happen to know the "whole story".


Sorry, but you don't. And I say this with 300% certainty. There are others on this board who actually do.

yeah because you know, what I know?
how?

*throws tennis ball*

fetch.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:45 pm

I'll say it again, one does not simply telnet into Mordor.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:04 am

I do wish the "banned" said "probation" like it does on the Something Awful Forums. Some people might take it the wrong way.

Then again, I think the mods usually notify the person in time-out so they know what is up.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:35 am

oh, this is Rich...


Image
one nation, under a groove.
User avatar
Roberto Dobbisano
 
Posts: 2655
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Dobbidossola, Italy.

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby wh..sh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:19 am

Bob wrote:I'll say it again, one does not simply telnet into Mordor.

:lol: :lol:
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
User avatar
wh..sh
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby Jackass » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:25 am

Are the monkeys throwing poop at each other again?
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
User avatar
Jackass
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: way out in left field

Re: Locking/Deleting Personal Attack Based Topics?

Postby MacGlenver » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:34 am

Image
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
User avatar
MacGlenver
 
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

PreviousNext

Return to Policy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest