All About Participating in the Pottie Project

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:13 am

Talk to people on JotS lines about the issues. Go potty caroling with Robbidobbs. If you think you see a sabatuer, get a good discription (picture?) and report to a Ranger. I'm sure that opportunities of various sorts will present themselves. Jump on them.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Stilesfamily » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:53 am

I know I am being kind of pissy about this subject. I am sorry I duped on you guys the way I did. It’s just frustrating to hear about all the crap we have to put up with from those little shits that ruin it for everyone. No pun intended of course.
E Tu Brute?
Stilesfamily

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:53 am

A: what's the whole point of this thread?
B: How can I help this year?

A: The point is to be a clearing house for anything porta-pottie related. People ask questions, I answer them, or other people do. I've spent a lot of time clarifying the real (and imagined) issues, so that people concerned about the issue don't start making things up. Folks that want to do an art project with the potties can come here to present what they're going to do. If there are problems with their proposal (for instance painting the potties or burning incense in them), I present alternatives in order to abide by the vendors wishes, and to keep the potties useable for others.

Maybe a better question would be "What IS the Pottie-Project?"
Answer: To do whatever is necessary as Participants to not allow the potties to take out BM.

I appreciate that you're concerned with the issue. Many people are, and we know how mission critical this issue is. It's been a dragon that's been mistaken for a windmill for a long time. I've been doing this full-time since Dec 2000, and those that know me, know that I take it very seriously (perhaps uncomfortably seriously to some?)

Fishy-darling answered your second question very well. Consider her suggestions. I've describes many ways to participate on this throughout the thread as well. Do what you feel is right.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby Stilesfamily » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:23 am

robbidobbs wrote: It's been a dragon that's been mistaken for a windmill for a long time.

Never herd that one before, I like it. I will try to think of some uniquely “me” way of helping. Sorry I was so aggressive with the issue, not quite sure why or what I was looking for. I guess I am a little anxious for the burn.
E Tu Brute?
Stilesfamily

Postby Sensei » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:43 am

robbidobbs wrote: ... we know how mission critical this issue is. It's been a dragon that's been mistaken for a windmill for a long time. I've been doing this full-time since Dec 2000, and those that know me, know that I take it very seriously (perhaps uncomfortably seriously to some?) Do what you feel is right.

You rock my world, Robbi. I remember when I first saw you giving your spiel to the masses waiting in line outside the potties one morning... I fell right the hell in love with you. We all owe you bigtime for your work, and you should know that there are more than a few of us who truly appreciate the work you do, and how truly vital it really is. I try to explain to friends and neighbors at the event how the potties are the weak link in the whole BM chain, and then I tell them about you and the work you do - all week, year in, year out. It makes us feel small. Very small.

You rock, lady!
Sensei

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:49 am

Sensei! Darling! I haven't caught up with you for ages. You know I've had a crush on you forever. Kitty licks all over your body.

I'm all in the mood to get back to the wedding potty conversation now though, I'll neck with you later.

Baldy swaggers over to Slick at the only porta-potty at the wedding.
"What the hell? A line? I gotta pinch a loaf, man! Whoz in there anyway? HURRY UP! Geez, that barbeque just pushed everything southward.
Hey Slick, did ya see the..."
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:47 pm

...troll get his ass kicked by the gift table? My god, I didn't know a guy could take that many face punches and still breathe. Ugly man, really ugly."

Hi Kids,
Tonights episode: The Prequel
December 2000: Town Hall Meeting, SF
LLC members were telling us, the Participants of BM 2K, what went down at that year's event. Toward the end, BizBabe stood up, mic in hand. She tells us that the sewage treatment plant and the potty vendor had both given us written notice that if we did not make a serious effort to reduce the amount of garbage in the porta-potties, they were not going to renew their contract. She solemnly said: "I'm open to suggestions."
Camera pans to RobbiDobbs, wearing beige, sitting alone on the top rung of the bleachers. Her expression changes with intense thought. She gets the wiggles. At the moment of the meeting's adjournment, she hops down and worms her way swiftly to BB. Catching up to her, RD starts spewing ideas. BB stands speechless for a couple minutes, and then says: "Send me an email." Once contact is made the next day, BB creates the Pottie List.
The Pottie Project began.

Thanks for listening to my narcissistic blatherings.

(It's late, I'm tired, and that damn troll from last year reminded me of something I wanted to forget. I guess I haven't learned the lesson to not take this personally yet. I'll work on that.)
robbidobbs

Postby geekster » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:29 am

repost:

Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Stilesfamily » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:36 am

Nice Geekster, really grabs your attention. You know it may help to have a statement describing how non compliance could threaten the future of Burning Man itself.
E Tu Brute?
Stilesfamily

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:19 pm

If you can make 25 of them and put them on the doors of the potties near where you live, that would be great.
robbidobbs

Postby Monkeypoo » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:12 pm

hope this helps... I was being a bit creative the other night... :lol:

To the tune of the Beverly Hillbillies.....

Come and listen to a story about a man named Sloop
A virgin burner dude, went a-huntin' 'round for Moop,
Then one day he was picking up some trash,
A Greeter came up and spanked him in the ass!

Smacked him hard, man, made him cry...

Well the first thing you know ol' Sloop's a-smiling big,
He bent o'er again, said, "Spank me like a pig!"
Greeter Gal said, "I sure like the job ya done!
Come back to my tent, and I'll show yer ass some fun!"

To my tent, babe, on the playa...

Well now its time to say good-bye to Sloop and his new girl
They would like to thank you, folks, for mopping up Joe's hurl
You’re all encouraged back again to pick up that thar Moop
And help relieve our city of all the Moop-n-Poop!!

Pick up after yerselves. Set a spell. Take your flip-flops off. Y'all come back now, y'hear?

:P
Monkeypoo

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Bahama Mamas!

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:57 pm

That one's definitely going to be at the M&G.
Thanks Monkeypoo!
robbidobbs

pee-coffin solutions

Postby alexamonkey » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:46 pm

I admit I haven't read every previous post, so forgive me if this is repeat info.
For those well-meaning burners who have lost flashlights down the crapper-

This was my 10th year at BM. My first few years I lost my fair share of flashlights down those crappers- until I found my fantabulous necklights. A bit hard to find (at least for me), but I highly recommend searching them out. The lights have a curved band to wear them around your neck, with an adjustable square light resting just at the top of your shoulders. Not only do they prevent losing your flashlight, but free your hands for 'other' business. They are also the best bike lighting i've found; the lights can be adjusted to any angle, & move with you so you can see check your perimiter & easily move the light out of on-comers faces. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend burners aquire some. I have mostly found them at crappy discount stores- the last time was about a year ago- I bought about 10 pairs. They cost me $5, & have had a few pairs that have lasted me about 4 years!
alexamonkey

2005 Final Wipe-up

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:02 am

We've covered lost flashlights, but thanks for your input.
viewtopic.php?t=8935&start=30

And now, the 2005 Final Wipe-up.
*Participation and volunteerism.
*What hit the fan this year.
*Getting our shit together for next year.
*Fundamentally changing the way we as Participants approach the Festival.

Greetings fellow Poopers,
It was an ugly year for shit this year. We fucked up in a major, expensive fashion. Catastrophically bad newbie behavior and sabotage happened again this year.

I arrived on Playa on friday prior to the Event, fully prepared to put up signs. I was anticipating getting volunteers and duct tape thru DPW as was the case last year. Nope. No duct tape, and no volunteers. I didn't get any duct tape from DPW until Monday morning. Instead Regyna, Fishy and I put them up with Regyna's nifty-cool florescent duct tape. Very eye-catching. Next year I'll be purchasing my own duct tape and adding it to the requisition bill. I'll go with florescent too. I liked the effect.

Because of the duct tape snafu, I didn't get DPW volunteers. I spent a good chunk of my time during the sign installation process soliciting the help of passers-by, training them, then watching them leave after a couple banks. This cycle was simply exhausting. We accidentally broke Fishy due to a bad dirt-storm. She weathered the remainder of the Event stoically and with her usual grace. Next year I'm asking that Pottie Project be put on the list of volunteer options on the Volunteer Questionaire.

On Tuesday, JotS found "many" rocks in the 3:30 and 4:00 banks. These jacked two valves ($250 each). I still have one of the rocks that was pulled out of the deep blue by the pump truck driver. It is the type found on Gate Road. Definite sabotage, no question that the fun was about to begin.

I immediately kicked it upstairs. Getting the crisis-management motor running was excessively slow. In short, I badly needed a radio. I felt handicapped w/o one this year. The shit-storm had begun, and all I had was my mouth and my brain. I've since made an important connection with the Yahoo Vengeance Task Force under the gentle hand of Spaz of Gigsville. This is an outstanding crisis-management machine that can only get better with time.

On Wednesday, things got weirder. I was notified that the Centrifuge was down. Special thanks to Sensei for providing safe-haven during this shocker. It stayed inoperable for the remainder of the Event as far as I know. This machine separates the solids from liquids, and the liquid is them shipped to the garlic farms in the region. What killed the Centrifuge was not sabotage, but baby-wipes, which seized it up so hard, the JotS workers had to pick baby wipe debris out of the gears with needle-nose pliers. They also were literally shovelling shitty baby-wipes for disposal.

Wrap yer brain around that, kids.

Zubee of DPW got me a megaphone and then jumped on a megaphone-equipped art car. The City got hit with the "NO BABY WIPES IN THE PORTA-POTTIES" message hard. Everyone I ran across who had access to amplification was solicited to put out PSA's on the issue. Cafe was a major help on this. Thanks Trish for your help. I will own a megaphone by next year.

The baby-wipe problem is definitely about education, so we can address this problem firmly next year. There has been a direct relationship between education and shit-quality. The owner told me that in 2000, things were ugly, then in 2001 we had clean shit. Over the next several years, the garbage in the units incrementally increased, until this year we had as bad of shit as in 2000. It is in my educated opinion that the quality diminished as a direct result of the incrementally reduced LLC support. The LLC needs to re-visit this problem, but I don't believe a media campaign as in 2001 will be sufficient. More later.

While I was talking to the JotS' 2nd in command, the valve on the main storage bladder pump got so plugged up with clothing they were unable to free it with a steel pipe. Also, the sludge was so saturated with baby wipes and clothing, they were unable to pump it. Both the retired former owner and the second in command independently told me that the sheer quantity of clothing pointed absolutely to sabotage. One citizen reported to me that he saw a complete men's suit in the camode. It was as if someone would go into the potty, strip, shove everything down the hole, and walk out naked.

Next year, acording to JotS' owner, not only will the price tag for JotS go up another $200K (for a total of $500K) but the LLC will be required to obtain a Macerator. And you can bet the ticket prices will be affected. A Macerator is a machine generally used on ships to literally grind up sewage before it goes into the Centrifuge.

I'm actively looking for researchers to help us obtain one before next year.

The cheapest solution for this problem is getting one thru salvage from a decommissioned ship. One year is *nothing* for this kind of equipment, so we need to get cracking asap.

I believe we need to fundimentally change our approach to how we as Participants approach the Festival.
A "neighborhood watch" system might cure us of sabotage, this requires self-organization however. We *can* do something about education pre-event however.

Over and over I heard department people complain about how the newbies were a burden on the system because they had either not read the Survival Guide, or had not taken it seriously. One citizen reported that their newbie friend blithely said they'd scanned the Survival Guide while waiting to get thru the Gate.

This will not do.

Here's my proposal: Instead of "buying a ticket", all must "apply for citizenship". The concept is by BlueNiteOwl.

All ticket sales are to be thru the web-site or over the phone. They are non-transferable. A ticket or laminate will be issued with either their playa-name or their real name on it. Also an indexed number will be assigned for tracking purposes. Those under 18 must either take the test, or by proxy, puting the onus of responsibility for behavior on the parent/guardian.

All potential citizens must take a 20 question objective test (t/f, multi-choice, fill-in). Questions will be based on the Survival Guide. There will be 5 different tests that are randomly selected and graded by an administrative bot so that couples will have differing tests. One must get 100% to pass, and you can take the test as many times as needed to do so. The goal is to not only require that all ticket holders have read the SG, but the fact of a test as a condition of participation just might make everyone take it seriously.

Gate ticket sales will either be eliminated or a process in place to take the test prior to obtaining a ticket. The added labor involved should be offset by the expected pre-event marketing information imploring that everyone get a ticket prior to arrival to avoid waiting time. Gate tests would be on paper and hand-scored to avoid using valuable computer time out there. An old Scan-tron machine is another option. Final score entry and indexed number would be assigned using a password protected "test administrator" entry before a ticket is issued at Gate. There would virtually be no reason for waiving the test, so no override system would be put in.

Black Rock City is a dangerous and fragile place. My hope is that thru improved accountability by the citizenry that there will be a marked improvement in participant education and lowered burden on the departmental infrastructure as a result.

I've given you the facts as I know them, now it is up to us to resolve the problem. I welcome your thoughts.

RobbiDobbs
DPW Volunteer Coordinator
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
robbidobbs

Postby NEXUS » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:38 am

Wow, that's unfortunate. I'm a new burner as of this year, but did my homework in reading and bringing with me, a copy of the Survival Guide in addition to a lot of other "preparatory reading" so as not to get caught with my pants down (no pun intended). I'm sorry to hear you ended up being short of volunteers, especially in helping to manage a resource that is the vital achilles of that event. Had I known of this while on the playa, I would have certainly done what I could to assist. Not sure what level of commitment in hours per day you're looking for, but if it's reasonable, you can add my name to the volunteer list for next year's event. As far as next year's plan, I find your idea of passing a required exam prior to being issued a ticket a great idea. No better way than to get participants to demonstrate their understanding, with compliance hopefully then being a logical next step. This obviously isn't going to stop the a-holes that are intentionally dumping, but will most certainly cut down on much of the undesirable excess.

Did a little bit of searching about and came up with the following list of companies selling large commercial grade macerators/grinders. I'm not an engineer, thus, not sure what specs and parameters you're working with, but it should set your search off in the right direction.

http://flow-control.globalspec.com/SpecSearch/Suppliers/Flow_Control_Flow_Transfer/Pumps/Grinder_Pumps?SrchItem=2&clickSrc=LPSS[/url]
NEXUS

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:46 am

Thanks for the input, Nexus. Feel free to join the pottie-list(at)burningman.com.

The time committment for my volunteers is 4 hrs gets you a meal. It's grueling work, in whatever weather conditions, with no heavy lifting.
robbidobbs

Postby NEXUS » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:55 am

If you're talking about help with replacing tp, sanitizer, evangelizing, 4 hours is certainly doable, I'll e-mail you at the address provided.
NEXUS

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:06 pm

The tp is replaced by JotS. The main job description includes hand-sanitizer refilling. Evangelizing can be done at one's whim and will be rewarded.

I need to add to the above treatis that all potential requirements by JotS was given to me verbally, and do not reflect any final contractural statements, which I have no control over whatsoever. Let's say we got a warning shot by the owner, one that we must take very seriously.
robbidobbs

Postby karr » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:33 pm

This is truly sad and majorly unfortunate. It really sucks that people were there with malicious intentions on a very vital part of the BRC community.

I would say that we should try a year with no JOTS and let everyone deal with making their own portable potties, transporting shit and pee in and out, but with irresponsible and malicious people mentioned, we would be in for a shittier mess on the playa causing even bigger problems...especially since even with potties, people were still pissing on the playa...whatever the excuse. :roll:

It really makes me mad that because of those people, we can expect prices to go up next year. It was hard enough for me to make it this year, as a virgin burner, financially.

I read the Survival Guide many times as well as frequenting the eplaya and got the message clearly as to what went in the potties and what did not. I don't think saying "I was too drunk, hammered, high, stoned, [insert whatever here]" is a legitimate excuse either. Even in my stumbling, drunk, high, body taken over by substances, state, I was aware of what should NOT go in the potties [as I came to find interesting zip-lock baggies with STUFF in my backpack].

The potties by the camp I was in were considerably clean the first few days I was there (Tuesday/Wednesday). Thursday, they started getting worse. By Friday/Saturday, yuckie. There does seem to be some corralation between heavy yahoo arrivals and dirty potties. I am surprised that Tuesday, being fairly early in the week, was when the rocks were encountered.

As for the intentional sabotagers, I can only hope they do not return next year.

Please count me in on volunteering next year. I have sent an email to the listed email address.
I am the girl you will talk to and ask questions to and end up more confused than when you started.
karr

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:35 pm

First of all I'd like to apologize for the generalization about newbies. I was simply reporting a common complaint, and probably should had prefaced it better. Let's instead say: many newbies, or an uncomfortable number of newbies.

karr wrote:I would say that we should try a year with no JOTS

The Health Dept will hear none of this option. For good reasons IMO.

I read the Survival Guide many times as well as frequenting the eplaya and got the message clearly as to what went in the potties and what did not.

Yay! <RobbiDobbs says with glee>
This is exactly the kind of preparedness that I'd like to see in all newbies, which is why I'm promoting the idea of "applying for citizenship." I'm sure you would pass easily, because you took the SG seriously. Double Yay!

My goal in the Pottie Project is to instill Excremental Correctness as an intrinsic part of our "Burner culture," and to be secure in those good habits no matter how stoned etc one is. That's terrific about the zip-loc baggies. They are invaluable out there, esp for girl stuff and other wet debris like baby-wipes.

Just as an asside...While I was monitoring the burn platforms on Monday, there was this couple who unloaded all their week's baby-wipes into the fire, and watched them burn gloriously. We had a great time of it. Whoof!
robbidobbs

Postby Stilesfamily » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:47 pm

FINALLY, the answer to the exact question (more or less) that I posted around a month ago with the witty response of “heavy on the blah, blah, blah”. I asked that question with a sincere concern in regards to this exact matter and was a little hurt that I got such a demeaning response. But that is water under the bridge.

Robbidobbs, I like the macerator idea, you should really speak to the admin of a prison, due to constant sabotage by inmates most prisons use macerators that can chew up anything, rocks, silverware, clothing, nuts and bolts and I hear even baby wipes. So that would end the sabotage issue. As far as BRC citizenship and SG testing and the like, I am all for it, but I am sure that would severely impact attendance, I wonder if the LLC would be adverse to loosing that much money. And if Jots is going to raise the cost of service next year that could make tickets real expensive for those that are willing to jump through all the hoops (like me) to obtain “Citizenship”.
E Tu Brute?
Stilesfamily

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:27 am

I don't know what turned your crank, but I thought I'd answered the "mission statement" question with: To do whatever is necessary as Participants to not allow porta-potties to take out Burningman. I write a Final Wipe-up after every year since 2001. If you're looking for "corporate language" I write the FWU to be taken seriously, though in a BM style, saying exactly what's on my mind. The Macerator will be required for next year, so if you want to do some research on acquisition of same, feel free to post your findings.

Now for what woke me up this morning:
Regyna, Fishy and I put them up with Regyna's nifty-cool florescent duct tape.

Thank you both very much for your help and amazing perseverence during those trying days. The weather was nuts at times, the work grueling, and you both stuck it out with delightful professionalism and good humor. As well, the duct tape saved us from what could have been a minor catastrophe. We got the signs up on time because of Regyna's foresight.

Thank you again.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:48 pm

Another idea was put forth by Mio of the Greeters.
The idea is simple: a 5x8 card with the basics about pottie-etiquette put in the Greeters handouts. I realize that many people don't read them immediately, but this would catch those that do quickly zip thru the handouts. It would be easy to read, bold print, and engaging. I'll be puting together a prototype for submission here soon.

I only heard 3 PSA's on BMIR radio, but when I was interviewed on-air by one DJ about the Centrifuge problem, she sent word to the other DJ's who did very effective PSA's of their own between songs. This was delightful to hear. I'd like to see more of this next year.

I'll be puting the bulk of my ideas and proposals on both the pottie-list and this msg board, but will probably be preferentially posting here.

Stay tuned.
We only have 355 days before the Man burns again.
Nothing compared to the headache of acquiring a Macerator.
Geeps! I need help on this research project. Pricing would be very helpful.
robbidobbs

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:51 pm

Heya Robbie, Sorry we didn't cross paths on the Playa! Sure wanted to hear those caroles sung!! >>grins<<

On to our current problem - I just googled Industrial Macerators, at least we have options. The biggest I have seen so far handles 660 GPM. That means... hmmm... for a 3000 gallon pump truck... 5 minutes. Can one unit handle it, or will we need 2? (We may need 2 just in case one goes belly up...) We also have to consider the interconnecting plumbing (and possibly transfer tanks) between the cleaning trucks and the hauling trucks to the centrifuge. (I don't know what the facilities we have curently are, sorry...)

At least this will (pretty much) stop the problems we are having... too bad that we can't just rely on education and people doing the right thing - then again, we're talking a city of 35K, so... what am I thinking?? >>grins<<

PM if you get a chance...
BB
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby sputnik » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:58 pm

I like Blue's idea about applying for citizenship. It might help.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:00 pm

Hey Robbi... sorry I missed you out there too. Our camp did daily MOOP runs at our potty cluster and we were continuously disappointed at the amount of stuff left in and around the potties.

I saw (and consequently was forced to remove) very little stuff actually in the potties (7:00 cluster), but lots of trash left on the floors and around the outsides. Now... in defense of what I feel to be a large number of the contributors to the problem I witnessed, let me add this:

When I would walk up and start picking up trash, people would start helping me. One girl even commented that she didn't even see the trash until she saw me picking it up. We live in a default world where we are trained to tune out the garbage laying all around us. We just take for granted that there is crap laying in the street and walk on by. Take note of how much there is as you walk around tomorrow. The particular girl that I mentioned above stated that she would be picking up stuff all the way back to her camp. Blessings to her for it. I think sabotage is a problem... I think education (or lack there of) and teaching folks to tune in is the bigger problem.

I’ll be thinking about ideas relative to this and post more later when I’m not so tired.

Thanks for all you do robbidobbs... and thanks to all who put effort into the potties.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:32 am

LeChatNoir wrote:I saw (and consequently was forced to remove) very little stuff actually in the potties
Okay, color me quesy. I saw a half roll of paper early in the week on top of (and a little smeared by) a pooh pyrimid and I did the gutless thing and pee'd on it. I think that's both lack of equipment (plastic bag?) and mental preparation. Once it gets to taking escrament out, the logistics become

well something anyway.

Really dissapointed that you didnt' get teh backing from tptb, Robbidobbs. I was already thinking of gifting you some brightly colored tape. he he. If you think that declaring the pottie project is public health and going with esd is gonna get you better support from higher ups, I'll advocate for you there. (I'm not sure of my power, but I have some ears.) Of course teh pogs are a total snafu there too..., but maybe you can have duct tape early...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:50 am

Yeah, Fishie... it’s not fun and I only go for the stuff I can get out without much trouble, for instance a plastic bottle on (or quite near) the very top of the pile that can be reached easily with gloves or some other instrument (stick or wire) and placed promptly into a heavy bag. I've got a pretty high "gross-out" threshold.

I’d like to note here, that I do not recommend to anyone that they go digging in a pile of potapotty gick. There’s things floating around in there that are unhealthy to say the least. I exercised extreme caution the few times I went fishing and left things in there that were buried up. Just not worth it.

I was much less queasy about picking up trash off the floors and outside the potties and would encourage others to do the same. We (myself and other campmates) would take an empty grocery bag to the Blue Cluster and most days fill it up with bits of paper and the occasional cardboard TP tube.

One day, someone who was obviously unprepared for the event and upset because of it, wrote on several of the potties, “Out of toilet paper? Use Garbage!”. Karine promptly removed and replaced the taped on sign of the vandalized potty in order to cover this bad advise up. Kudos to her. The person who wrote this, most likely felt in their mind that the cost of their ticket should ensure that TP is always there. They didn't read the SG or the website as much as they should have, else they'd have known to bring a few rolls just incase.

I’m liking the idea of taking a test more and more. Not as an exclusionary tactic, but as an educational one.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby mars » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:45 pm

----------------------------------
Another idea was put forth by Mio of the Greeters.
The idea is simple: a 5x8 card with the basics about pottie-etiquette put in the Greeters handouts. I realize that many people don't read them immediately, but this would catch those that do quickly zip thru the handouts. It would be easy to read, bold print, and engaging. I'll be puting together a prototype for submission here soon.

I think this is a great idea (even though I have this nagging fear that some of the cards may end up in the potties).

I also think it would be good if theme camps near the potties had a copy posted in public view...I know that we served tons of newbies this year, and we have it as a plan for next year, to post a good article on porta-potties that we saw in one of the newpapers (can't think which one right now).

I DEFINITLY am willing to do a shift or two next year. Have tried to get on that email list and failed, but will try again.

Neon
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:56 am

mars wrote:
I also think it would be good if theme camps near the potties had a copy posted in public view...I know that we served tons of newbies this year, and we have it as a plan for next year, to post a good article on porta-potties that we saw in one of the newpapers (can't think which one right now).
I DEFINITLY am willing to do a shift or two next year.

Thank you Neon. I'm glad to hear that there will be some upper management support next year. We need more attention to this mission critical issue to be sure. Feel free to take up the task of posting the flyer on the pottie-banks.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I put up 1/2 sheet signs on all potties, 20% of which are specifically about baby-wipes, the rest about garbage, gray water, hovering and other inappropriate practices. Perhaps next year the run will be closer to 50%.

I can especially use help on the saturday/sunday prior to the Event, which is when the signs go up, and the greatest need for volunteers is.
robbidobbs

PreviousNext

Return to Get Involved!