All About Participating in the Pottie Project

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Re: All About Participating in the Pottie Project

Postby The CO » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:14 am

Hey boss!
check your pm, info there.

It was great working with the project!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:10 pm

As you'll see from my report, you were most appreciated CO. I'll be mailing stuff here soon.

and now, back to our show...

Greetings Campers,
We’re back for another installment of the 2013 Final Wipe-up.

This year was successful only because of the old adage: "The Playa provides”. Alas, my Pottie PA cacked on Monday morning, and by the afternoon, my faithful Bullhorn crapped out. Oh woe! The ministrations of our Village’s biggest brains couldn’t resuscitate my sound system. This year was saved by Monty, who donated the use of his massive bullhorn, soon named “The Mutherfucker”. So we have another Winner of Burningman - Monty! <A standing ovation erupts>

The shit storm this year was astounding!
My equipment broke down most confounding.
Monty came thru,
And enabled my spew.
Our success overall was resounding!

Oh, but this wasn’t the end of my challenges this year. Heavens no. This year I developed a nasty blister as of (post burn)Sunday morning, and after having it checked by Rampart, I was in a sorry state and unable to do anything foot mobile for the rest of my desert stay. Limp City! Fuck! So as a result of this injury and the corresponding dehydration sickness of Gonzo at that same period, we were unable to take the exterior signs off the porta-potties before our departure. I have since notified Mike (Operations Manager of USS/North Reno Div) and apologized. I realize these units are basically dedicated to this one event, but it just seems tacky to me. I was damaged and it was my own dumb fault for not breaking in those shoes before bringing them out. DUMB!

What went truly right
The CO stepped into his role of Deep South Poopervisor with stamina and enthusiasm that thrilled me on a daily basis. He’ll no doubt have his own stories to tell, but in short, by not having to THINK about those spokes, this freed up my brain to juggle the rest of the city, confident in his success. I look forward to his post-playa report no doubt resplendent with ideas.

Pottie Friends
This year I focused on just soliciting Pottie Friends for the inner banks (D street). This was because my time constraints vs. population density demanded this compromise. Overall, it turned out well. I again had varying degrees of enthusiasm, and found some camp “sat” on their stash of TP due to poor communication with their campmates or just distractions (no really, people actually get distracted out there!).
I have some ideas on how to improve matters in this area:
1: Pottie Etiquette Defined sign on each inner bank post will include a line describing what this program is and how best to help by locating the TP that’s probably in LOS.
2: Special signs to post where the stash is visible. This idea came from one PF this year: Black Chicken at the 2:30 bank. He took one of my signs and wrote “MORE TP” and and arrow pointing down. FABULOUS! The CO wants to mass-produce this sign for all PFs to display.
3: PF instructions will include info re the “Zip That Shit” program.

The "THIS IS NOT BULLSHIT” signs ware a huge success
This year for the first time, I saw people humming bikes just as a USS truck was coming up to the bank. And people graciously waited for them to complete their servicing, and instructing others about this courtesy. This will be replicated next year.

Other Pottie- Art
I heard today from Soundman that his project, the Pauditron, was disappointing due to an epidemic of theft of his music boxes. He solemnly stated that he cannot recommend any kind of electronic device to be placed in the porta-potties by anyone in the future. That was the bad news. The good news is the the Lit Shitters program was successful, although they also were menaced by thieves. This was my favorite “other pottie art” project, as the guys lit the units using solar LED lights that made the unit glow with just enough light to do one’s biz safely. Delightful!
In years past, I’ve heard that USS enjoys our graffiti. Indeed, it’s some of the most intelligent they’ve ever seen! Many times I’ve seen people write about closing the toilet lid. This year, someone made a stencil: PUT DOWN THE LID. Now that’s commitment to the cause! Much appreciated.

BMIR - Pottie PSA’s
At the beginning of the week, I was able to get to BMIR to record a pottie PSA about trash and hovering.

Do you use the porta-potties? Of course you do.
United Site Services urges us to treat the porta potties with respect.
Do not, I repeat, do nott throw wet wipes, flushable wipes and other trash into the potties, because that trash has to be manually raked out of the separator by the beautiful men at United Site Services. Please pack it out with you.
Also - please spread the word about hovering. This is when someone has squatted over the toilet seat and left their art project on the seat for the next participant to enjoy. So if you hover or know someone who hovers, please lift the seat and the lid to do your biz.
And we can all have a positive excretory experience each and every time.

By the end of the week, the shit volume had reached such proportions, that I needed to get the word out to have all participants carry on their person a few zip ties. This was due to the units potentially filling up during the night, and creating the “6” above the rim” effect by morning that Cindy at the Health Department isn’t thrilled to see. We also continued to have RAT BASTARDS that crap on the seat, so this as well was pointed out in my PSA as a good reason to ZIP THAT DOOR!

Have you gone to the porta pottie just to find that it’s full? CRAP!
You go to the next one, right?
Our population is HUGE!
This is RobbiDobbs, Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project, urging you to take along a few zip ties when you go out tonight. So if you see a full pottie, or a crapped on seat, then ZIP THAT DOOR!
United Site Services appreciates your help.

Finally, I have a vignette to tell about what Eeyore found on (post burn) Monday evening. Two girls were discovered dumping all the piss bottle that had been left around the 2:30 bank. This was the worse example in the entire city of this laziness and irresponsibility. He asked if I had any schwag left to gift them, and I offered up the STOP THE HORROR shirts, as there were a few left and in easy reach. What an amazing gift of self these girls gave us! For the rest of the evening, we were in awe of them. Bravo!

This year was the biggest shit storm of my career, and when the cacophony of it all was swirling around me, I had this one sentence that kept repeating: All of my experiences have prepared me for this. I didn’t collapse or have a breakdown (ok, sleep dep sucks), but saw the whole picture, and utilized my vast resources all over the City. I had faith, and those around me carried me through the worst. Of course, the real heroes of Burningman were the beautiful men at USS. They did an amazing job keeping their shit together, and at the end of the week I was proud to shake their hands and thank them personally. So, dear Camper, next year when you see a USS employee out there, shake his hand and thank him for his work. They value our respect more than you can imagine.

Stay regular,
RobbiDobbs clear
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:34 am

Addendum:

I would like to make a special shout out to the fun folks at Stag Camp. This year Motsky and Davey Jones helped with putting up the signs pre-event. I don't remember the exact number (I think 10), but Motsky has been invaluable in this excruciating tape-tearing endeavor. It takes 3 days to get them all up, and I deeply appreciate his commitment. Thank you both for your hard work!

During the week, Stag Camp was my North Side stop-over, and they graciously and consistently stepped up with volunteers. What a fantastic group of people! They had a registered theme camp, and it appeared to be even more cohesive and organized than in years past. Congratulations! It is always a delight to get to hang out in their welcoming shade.

Sincerely,
RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie-Project
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Love you, (((Robbie))) !!! Thanks so much for all you do. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:37 pm

You're vey welcome! It was a pleasure meeting you MDF.
robbidobbs

Postby goathead » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Robbi

We are a rather large camp with our own potty, could we still get some stickers?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:02 pm

I appreciate the enthusiasm Goat but the Pottie Project doesnt have stickers, we have paper signs. I generally keep spare signs in the Poop Mobile, so if you see me just wave me in. I'll even put them up if you'l like.
robbidobbs

Postby BBadger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:45 pm

So the messages that say "we love graffiti": does that only apply to the paper sign, or anywhere in the outhouse so long as it's with markers and not mechanical damage?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:02 am

Yes.
robbidobbs

Postby FossaFerox » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:57 pm

robbidobbs wrote:Yes.

Yes to "only on the signs" or yes to "markers are fine anywhere, just no physical damage"?
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Yes to signs and markers. No to paint. scoring or fire.
a couple yrs ago some assmunch cut into the plastic the Man symbol. Way not cool or ok.

These units are set aside for this event, so if we jack them it's our fault.

They are aging and abused by the elements, and some get retired each year. But we can treat them w respect.
robbidobbs

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Okay, so we can write directly on the doors or walls with marker? Or we should just post signs? It seems like taped up signs would create work (to remove . . . please correct me if that's okay too) but if they don't mind people writing directly on the walls(??) I would enjoy writing some favorite short pithy quotes.

OH MAN YOU GUYZ what if we quoted ePlaya all along a particular potty bank? That'd be hilarious.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby BBadger » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:58 am

The one bit of graffiti that I remember best was a notice behind the toilet: "USE THE URINAL ASSHOLE!!" with a nice big arrow pointing to the urinal on the left that I did not notice.

I obeyed.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 am

BBadger wrote:The one bit of graffiti that I remember best was a notice behind the toilet: "USE THE URINAL ASSHOLE!!"

Actually, the asshole shouldn't be using the urinal.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Savannah wrote:Okay, so we can write directly on the doors or walls with marker? Or we should just post signs? It seems like taped up signs would create work (to remove . . . please correct me if that's okay too) but if they don't mind people writing directly on the walls(??) I would enjoy writing some favorite short pithy quotes.

OH MAN YOU GUYZ what if we quoted ePlaya all along a particular potty bank? That'd be hilarious.

ROTFLMAO! Yes that would be funny!
Fishy - Very funny! No, assholes shouldn't use the urinals. Guffaw!

I wasn't able to take the signs down this year after the event due to a unfortunately placed large blister on my heel. I have entertained the idea of taking a drive to Reno to see the units in their overwinter yard and remove them. Shouldn't take but a couple hours since they're all together. I might be able to do this if I have local accommodations (just a thought) and no snow (worry).

No USS doesn't mind sharpie graffiti, and they especially enjoy the ones about excremental correctness instructions. My favorite this year was someone made a stencil "PUT THE LID DOWN". Very nice!

What I don't appreciate is when someone sees fit to mark up the pooetry signs making them no longer enjoyable to read. I remove those I find. The really irritating graffiti is the medically unlikely pictures of genitalia - crude and boorish behavior, probably not from a Burner.

One of the problems I find with putting up the interior signs is finding a spot that hasn't been belt sanded (packing tape doesn't stick to belt sanded plastic). This is the only means to remove disgusting and horrible etched-in graffiti. Many of the units we have are obviously retired due to this kind of damage...
...which is why we have them now.

Love them, leave your thoughts on them, but remember they'll be a next participant.

Thanks!
robbidobbs

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Yay, we can use sharpies!! Thanks, Robbidobbs!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Sham » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:15 pm

A few years back, I made a batch of dummy video cameras that were installed in the portos with double stick tape--strategically aimed at the sitting person. Imagine my amazement and glee, when I found one of my own cameras still residing in a porto the following year. 8)

Sham

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Sorry Sham that you got your gear lifted. There apparently is some animosity toward being photographed while excreting.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=67331

I personally wouldn't want to be the participant frying balls and suddenly realizing there's a camera on me while grunting. I'd probably get my leatherman out too.
robbidobbs

Postby Sham » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:31 pm

No, it was there the whole week and still there the next year. Apparently people DO like the idea of being videoed while "working"! :shock:
Sham

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:45 pm

That puts a whole new spin on "performance art"!!! Congratulations are in order.

Loving that social science!
robbidobbs

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:23 am

robbidobbs wrote:That puts a whole new spin on "performance art"!!! Congratulations are in order.

Loving that social science!

Um, no. I think that's exactly how Jesse Helms shut down the NEA.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:33 pm

What I found funny (and Gonzo pointed this out) was that there was a fake camera, and people may have performed to it. Of course I would ever encourage any kind of recording device in the units. thats just fucked up.
robbidobbs

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Propper piddeling in the porto's prevents playa puddles! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:23 pm

SIGN!

Thanks FIgjam!
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:05 pm

I just watched a video about Distrikt. Holy fucking hell! It was floor to ceiling people! I only drove thru it ONCE during the week (see final wipe-up). My gawd! I need NeEd NEED a sergeant out on North side to help out!

Ok, I gotta go feed the cat now.

RobbiDobbs clear
robbidobbs

Postby lucky420 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:00 am

Robbi, I live in Reno! I think I may have the downstairs bed available for you to crash in after this coming January if you'd like. Or the new Burner hotel may have a room or... My kids (Sadie & Adam) and I could go to the portos at USS and take down the signs for you.

Let me know if I can help.

:coffee: cheers to you robbidobs!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Wow thank you lucky! I'll keep you in mind when I revisit this in a month.
robbidobbs

Postby lucky420 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:04 pm

Okie dokie, take your time. The offer stands
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Quick question to those in the know: should I set up a Spark request for volunteers? I'd really like to quadrant up the city, so this would have an expectation of week long responsibility I have zero knowledge of how it works or its appropriate for my intention. Thx
robbidobbs

Postby 9ah » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:41 pm

Do whatever you want
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

PreviousNext

Return to Get Involved!