All About Participating in the Pottie Project

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Re: All About Participating in the Pottie Project

Postby trilobyte » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Definitely put something together on the Spark collaboration tool. From what I've seen, it gets different people (as well as a larger overall audience) than you'd see on ePlaya.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:02 pm

trilobyte wrote:Definitely put something together on the Spark collaboration tool. From what I've seen, it gets different people (as well as a larger overall audience) than you'd see on ePlaya.

Thank you trilobyte
I reviewed the Spark site, and one suggestion immediately springs to mind: it should be split by Need a Volunteer and Am a Volunteer. It's currently just a list. I will fashion a catchy subject line to post a volunteer request. I'm only hesitant that it's not going to be as attractive as one would hope to get the kind of volunteer one would hope for.

There is a 50% dropout rate (per Harley) in volunteerism. This goes up appreciably when it comes to shit. I won't mince words - participants don't tend to want to want to hang out at porta-potties. I don't understand this (heh!) but I know it's true from years of experience.

The most mind-boggling experience I've ever had on the Playa was when CO asked to be my volunteer - and he HAD THE TALENT to do the job! He took the job and ran with it!. Oh my gawd he was terrific!
I had another volunteer lined up to do a quadrant, and he was enthusiastic about what the job entails. But he flipped his Porsche and died. How often can one expect lightning to strike?

I'll just put it out there - the job is grueling, but excruciatingly fulfilling! It's a tough sell truly. I have no illusions about what the job involves. If I could just get a couple of volunteers to oversee a couple quadrants this year, my job would be an order of magnitude easier and I could do my job better. The whole city would benefit.

It's truly an easy gig - but it involves 4 hours per day of the Event. No bullshit, no excuses. The land is yours. Every camp in that quadrant gets visited, Pottie Friends solicited, and tp distributed.

The drop to my knees moment this last year was when CO told me that on Friday morning, the 2:00 banks were full but tidy. That's what we're reaching for.

This year is going to stretch the very limits of my capabilities because of volume. We're going to need to get the word out AGGRESSIVELY about Gatorade bottle caps and other mindless MOOP. Potties WILL fill up, and our only hope is to get them zip tied. Hovering education needs to get out. It's a tough sell, but unbelievably essential.

In conclusion - I need help with getting volunteers. I don't know that Spark can help me, but I will make the attempt.

Stay regular,
robbidobbs clear
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Good Morrow Campers
I have successfully posted on the Spark page. My only computer fail is I can't figure out how to change my profile picture. I wanted to put Pooping Man there. Alas.

Here's the text of the posting. Please be gentle w any errors (I'm as usual at a bar where I can get wifi). I'll no doubt review this a hundred times. But I did it! Enjoy!

Help make everyone's excremental experience a positive one each and every time! I have been monitoring the porta-potties for 13 years, and over time the city has grown. OH MY it has grown in circumference, population and VOLUME. I need your help!

I am looking for participants that can monitor the porta-potties on 1-4 streets: it can be as little as the porta-pottie bank near where your camp is to several streets. YOUR CHOICE!
The job:
*Talk to participants in your area about treating the porta-potties with respect, educate about hovering, baby-wipes, gray water and other inappropriate uses of our most precious resource.
*Deliver TP to those banks as needed (I will supply you w TP). And zip the door if the unit is full!

We, the participants of BRC, are required to make a serious effort to reduce the amount of garbage in the porta-potties at Burningman. This is how you can help save our event, and make a LOT of your neighbors happy.
Thank you for your participation,
RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
robbidobbs

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:18 pm

I remember that adding a profile pic was a bit weird. It's a wordpress site, so once you go to your dashboard, I think you have to go to or click on Wordpress admin, and then on the wordpress admin page click on profile. You can upload a picture and put page links and stuff in there.

Yep, the site functions pretty much as a classified ad listing - that's what it's for. People who see a listing and are interested click the contact button and it sends a contact email your way. I was shocked at all the responses to a listing I posted in 2012, and the site was much busier in 2013. 2014 should be even busier still, it will get mentioned in JRS posts and blogs.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:28 pm

I just went to the dark side of facebook. Of course I'll continue to post here from Pottie Central. I know where my core is.
I haven't heard back from CO, but this year looks good. We're only just starting, but I have ideas in my head.
I'm committing to monitoring North Side this year, like right up in their FACE monitoring! All year I've been viewing in my limited capacity, vids of that sector. It's a fucking, crazy nuts region that NEEDS MY HELP! All the sparkle ponies and unicorns with their "devil may care" attitude just makes me tense! This only inspires me that hands on interviewing and education is what is required.

Gentle folks: what I need to do is sector the City. I'll take North Side. If the South Side can be managed that would make my job even fucking possible. I'm looking for people to monitor the bank where they live and TALK TO PEOPLE! The marketing catastrophe of "flushable wipes" is horrible and only getting worse!. This is an education campaign, most participants would comply if only they understood the horror they are causing. I have to believe that.

The upshot is: If you have a suggestion on how I can improve marketing to get volunteers to take on sectors (1-4 spokes) of the city, I'm all ears.

Thanks for listening,
RobbiDobbs clear
robbidobbs

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Just so we're on the same page... what do you think of as the north side of the city? I always thought due north was in the vicinity of 10:30 or so on the dial, making it more of an east-west split if you're thinking compass, but I usually think of the city as the 10-side or the 2-side.

Check your inbox, private message is coming shortly. I'll also bounce some ideas with folks to see what can be done to help with raising awareness.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby digital » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 pm

As Trilo said, what are you calling the North side? My duties are already pretty full but if I can take just one bank near me I would be happy to help. We are camped at the last bank on 5:00 near Burning Sky.

Wish I could help with more but even one should take a load off, so to speak.

D
digital

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Holy shit!

We're always on the 5 spoke between G and H, but almost always across H from the potties! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby digital » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:27 pm

FIGJAM wrote:We're always on the 5 spoke between G and H, but almost always across H from the potties! 8)

Then you must see us daily! Just look for the crazy people in orange shirts on the troop transport. :D

And maybe this year I can moonlight cleaning shit!

(Does BMORG pay overtime for that?)
digital

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:59 pm

Just to give y'all some old time legacy grizzled & crusty burner jargon background: "North" side refers to 6:00 to 10:00 and "South" side refers to 6:00 to 2:00. It comes out of ranger radio slang and simply stuck around as reference, nothing to do with compass points. So I'll refer to the Deep South, which is 2:00 to 3:00.

Digital - If you (or anyone else) are camping in line of site to a pottie bank I'd welcome you to "host" tp. It's a low impact job that just involves checking the units for tp at dusk so they're fully stocked. Easy gig and very much appreciated by the night life. I'll post more info on the hand sanitizer posts this year about Pottie Friends.

Booyah!
(edited)
FIgjam! I'm so hunting you down!
Moochas Smoochas!
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Grrr - still cant figure out spark. I just want to add a profile pic.

Could somebody hold my hand please?
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:40 pm

Ok got it.
You go to "edit" and there's a button for attaching an image.
It only allows 1024K, so it got one of the OLD 2001 pics "Pooping Man sez" pics. Ah nostalgia!
So it goes.
Computers are the Devil!
robbidobbs

Postby digital » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:03 pm

robbidobbs wrote:Digital - If you (or anyone else) are camping in line of site to a pottie bank I'd welcome you to "host" tp. It's a low impact job that just involves checking the units for tp at dusk so they're fully stocked. Easy gig and very much appreciated by the night life. I'll post more info on the hand sanitizer posts this year about Pottie Friends. !

Sign me up! Sounds easy enough -- unlike my movements on the Playa. :x
digital

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:09 pm

You're in. Send me a PM w contact info please.
And stay on this bat channel.
Thank you digital for your help.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Wed May 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Howdy Campers!
We are fast approaching recompression time, and Pottie Central is clearing out the cobwebs of our assorted brains to make sure the porta potties are in tip-top shape for your excremental enjoyment. I've fashioned a sign that will be put on every pottie bank this year because apparently 250 different signs on every porta potty isn't sufficient to get the message into our collective minds. One stop shopping - that's the ticket. So anyone who cares to take 5 minutes of their playa time to read this sign will be throughly educated - probably more than they imagined. I'm looking for feedback, ideas and addendums so that this sign is complete.

Thank you for your input.

DO YOU KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT PORTA-POTTIES?
POTTIE ETIQUETTE DEFINED

Poop Moop: your trash is your responsibility. Do not put anything but your excrement and toilet paper into the porta potties. Hose clogs are the leading cause of cleaning schedule difficulties and can actually damage the cleaning equipment. Pack it back to your camp!

Flushable wipes and other moist towlettes are the major cause of problems with the pottie cleaners. You are responsible for it, and these don’t go into the potties. As well, “girl stuff”, watermelon rinds, and other yick stuff needs to go out with you. This is the case no matter how small it is, how busy you are or how much you don’t want to keep it with you. Keep a couple Ziploc bags on you to dispose of them properly.

Hovering: using the toilet while not actually sitting completely on the seat. This can be successfully accomplished by lifting the seat and the lid to do your biz. Failure to do so can lead to soiling the seat and taking the unit out of service. Don’t do it wrong!

Gray water: food, kitchen water etc doesn’t go into the porta-potties. Evap it! The reason this is an issue is the pottie cleaners have specific volume numbers and gray water dumping screws this up and thereby jacks their schedule. Process it, evap it, or take it home!

Toilet paper: If you see an empty roll or a wet roll on the floor, leave it there. Do not drop it in the hole! Whole rolls cause hose clogs for the pottie cleaners. Paper tp wrappers can and should be put into the potties, they are designed to dissolve.

Pottie Art: Decorating the potties is encouraged. Make sure your art can’t fall into the goop: secure it with duct tape or zip ties – not foam tape. Please remove your art at the end of the event. Do not put incense, candles or other smoke generating decorations in the units as these boxes get upwards of 120 degrees! Do not put any kind of packaging in the units, as this quickly becomes poop moop.

Hole Diving: Please don’t dive into the potty to retrieve debris. This is hazardous waste! Leave it for the experts. Cans, bottles flashlights and other large objects can be retrieved quickly and safely with their hoses.

Pottie Friends: Out of TP? Look around! There should be a sign “MORE TP” in line of sight to the pottie bank. Your local Pottie Friend “hosts” spare tp for distribution at night, but please help yourself if you see the bag. And say howdy doo and thank them for helping all of us out.
robbidobbs

Postby unjonharley » Wed May 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Listen up.. The great and powerful Rob a Dob has spoken..

I say "Get your shit together".
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby robbidobbs » Wed May 21, 2014 3:24 pm

bullhorn.jpg

I just bought my new bullhorn! Mine died last year, sucked up too much dirt - go figure.
Fresh canvas for cool playa stickers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robbidobbs

Postby Savannah » Thu May 22, 2014 1:56 pm

And those of you who know all this: quiz your virgins!

Encourage them to bring Biffy Bags for themselves with:

* 1-ply travel Charmin
* 2 ziploc bags for wipes (1 for dirty, 1 for clean)
* hand sanitizer
* a clip light.

THE TOILET SEAT YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby digital » Tue May 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Figuring out the ziplock wet wipe trick literally saved my ass last year.

...and I thought this was revolutionary. We need more playa pottie education on the playa.
digital

Postby FIGJAM » Tue May 27, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm going to promote "Shift the Shitters"!

Take a couple of hours shift at your local potty bank and let everyone know that if it doesn't come from your body it doesn't go in the potty.

Including spot inspections when someone leaves a stall.

If there is a faux potty, they get the full lecture in front of everybody.

High lighting how the cleaning and pumping process stops because of this behavior.

Everybody gets schooled!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Tue May 27, 2014 8:16 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I'm going to promote "Shift the Shitters"!

Take a couple of hours shift at your local potty bank and let everyone know that if it doesn't come from your body it doesn't go in the potty.

High lighting how the cleaning and pumping process stops because of this behavior.

Know your shit.. Test after
unjonharley

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri May 30, 2014 7:52 am

FIGJAM wrote:...faux potty...

I got a good laugh out of this.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby VultureChow » Fri May 30, 2014 8:56 am

FIGJAM wrote:I'm going to promote "Shift the Shitters"!

I think I'll make up a few dog tags with Some "Expert Shitter" graphics and have a pop quiz for potty goers.

1)What goes in the potty?
2)Flushable wipes: yay or nay?

I can't think of any other questions.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 30, 2014 1:38 pm

Gotta have a hover question. Ply?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 am

Happy Birthday Robbidobbs!!!!
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:38 am

Appy B day Rob-a-dobb
unjonharley

Postby Ratty » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:29 am

Happy Day After Birthday RobbiDobbs. I hope it was a good one. ((hug and cheek kiss))
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Oh my fucking gawd! This is so wonderful!!!!

Savanna: you got yourself a sign!
digital: I'm doin' my best!
Figjam: LOUD AND PROUD!
VC: LOVE the dog tag idea! Run with it!
You are all honorary sector chiefs. I love the ideas, keep em coming!
The best advertising, and this IS an advertising campaign after all, is word of mouth. The goal is to keep the message moving so everyone gets the message.
The trick is to get is so adhered into their brains that they absorb it when they're wiped out, dehydrated, scatterbrained, frying balls, exhausted, that they remember the message when the shit is pulsing against their anus. RIGHT NOW.

It is a matter of replacing a bad habit (hovering) with a good habit (lifitng the seat and the lid). It's a matter of cultural preparation: taking ziplocs with you wherever you go regardless of your costume, length of time wandering around, amount of intoxicants ingested.
I have found that when I have engaged a participant in conversation about the issues, that they are invariably positive and want to help.
I deeply appreciate your help on this. I can't describe clearly how important my support from eplayans means to me. Know that you are making a difference.

And thank you kind people for the b-day wishes. I did everything I do on my birthday: I saw the movie that was just released - how to train your dragon 2. I did something I've never done before: zip lining. I went to 2 restaurants that I've never been to before. I bought myself something utterly frivolous: an ipad keyboard. And my cake this year was a 2 layer fudge round cake with Spiderman on it. Yay!
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Allcom Allcom. If you or know of someone w car sound systems experience pls PM me. Needing sage advice and direction.
Over
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:02 pm

Just got Badzooka MPA1000W. Now need amp. Mp3s at ready. On my way!
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

PreviousNext

Return to Get Involved!