Newbie On Fire for 2014

All things outside of Burning Man.

Newbie On Fire for 2014

Postby kowtow » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Let me preface this post by saying - I'm an extremely motivated virgin!!!

For the last 3 months I've been eating, sleeping, drinking and living Burning Man. My coworkers and family think I'm whacked, but I'm just drivin' by what this is beginning to mean to me. I haven't stopped listening to BMIR since before BRC 2013. I've downloaded Spark off iTunes and watched it four times since its release on Friday.

Here is a little piece I wrote and am continuing to append about what impact BM is having on my life.

Newbie Homage of Candor

Enigma
I heard someone mention your name a couple of years ago. “Ya,” I thought, “that would be a blast, but where is it and what’s it about?” I mean who wouldn’t want to party like a rock star non-stop for one week without repercussion? That was all I knew about you, or that’s what I thought I knew about you. It seemed like you were an enigma originating in some far away god forsaken unreachable place with lots of strung out, wasted, no pot to piss in mother fuckers raving and destroying the environment making it a royal pain in the ass to have fun unless you were doing the same.

Misconception
Fast forward to 2013 a mere few of weeks before the largest temporary community ever seeks to befall on that dry lake bed in a remote part of Nevada. I’m giddy with drink and excitement just being able to follow the news as this passionate procession makes its way to your abode. I realize I have nothing more to offer at this point than every other swinging dick that has never set foot on your playa, but I feel like there is something more inside of me. I surely don’t possess any knowledge of what it means to be burner. Fuck, I hadn't even heard mention of the 10 principles at this point. I’m still floundering in the mindset that this is nothing more than a heavy metal after party, full every cross-section of humanity that grew up on the streets of downtown Portland. Then came a realization that I don’t have a fuckin’ clue!

My “Twelve Step” Realization
Realizing I didn't have a clue was the best thing that could have happened to me at this point. What an awakening! I feel like I’m back in rehab and arriving at enlightenment with my higher power. I had to grasp the fact that I was powerless over this thing and that my life would remain unmanageable as long as I continued my attempts at defining Burning Man. After coming to a resolve with my ignorance that’s when things began to open up for me. I began to internalize that if I just quit trying to define Burning Man I could then begin understanding Burning Man. A power greater than me could restore my sanity if I kept myself out of the fuckin’ way. That was the moment I decided to let go and let Him dictate what he means to me. I know full well the meaning isn't the same for everyone, or maybe it isn't the same for anyone. All I know is that I wasn't going to profess to identify what it was.

Just like in the Program I had to find a sponsor; someone who could guide me in this process and reconcile facts from myths and misconceptions. Not knowing a single person who had ever been to Burning Man left me without a strong pool of candidates to choose from. Not to worry, this is the 21st century I’m sure I could find a surrogate to fill this role. A few clicks later thanks to Google and some keywords I was inundated with a plethora of information. Unbeknownst to me I found my pseudo-sponsor on YouTube. I came across John ‘Halcyon Lujah’ Styn who I could immediately connect with. He broke down for me what Burning Man wasn't and what it was for him. I haven’t agreed with everything John’s said, but I wouldn't with a tactile sponsor either. John was able to act as the conduit which allowed me to connect with what Burning Man was destined to mean for me. This was my first awareness of the 10 Principles of Burning Man. The video “Burning Man’s Principles – Halcyon style” http://youtu.be/o_38I3MQsc. There was immediacy in the collapse of my previous conceived notions of what Burning Man was. The hippie drug fest, full of sex and over indulgence was flat out gone! That may remain what burning man is for some and so be it, that’s there realization and I only need accept that. With every nugget of awakening I experience the realization for me is that it’s less and less about my initial notions and more and more about a ‘Way’.

The Way
My current awareness has me believing more and more BM will in some manner become the “Way” for me. The Way is still in its infancy and won’t fully be realized or rejected until I have become a burner in the physical sense.

Beginning or Ending
I want to be a part of BM in 2014 so badly, but I feel there will be extreme difficulty in acquiring a ticket. I don't know any burners, camps or groups other than those I've been friending and liking on FB and have yet to hear from any of them. I want to make 2014 an incredible success for the community. I want to gift an art idea and get it registered for placement on the playa as soon as registration opens once again. I am in need of engineers, electricians, and project managers to help with this endeavor. The more I'm getting myself in deeper I can see a real need for like minded people to assist in the scope of this effort. Beyond the art, I want to create a Theme Camp or a more wise choice be part of a Theme Camp. I want to make sure I'm a good fit for the camp and that the camp will fit me as well.

This post is my first real attempt as reaching out. I hope it's received well and that you experienced burners will fuel my fire and guide my ambitions. Not that it's important, but I have resources and a drive to see this through. My biggest obstacle is where to stop. Even the art keeps going through iterations where the scope of the project expands and contracts on a daily basis. Please help me follow my dream of giving everything I have to BM 2014!!!

Til we meet one day on the playa...
Last edited by kowtow on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DISCLAIMER - Kids please do not follow me on these forums for my grammar, punctuation, spelling or my general ill-use of the English language. Stay in school, adhere to abstinence, never drink or do cannabis. -kowtow
kowtow

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Newbie On Fire for 2014

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:25 pm

start small
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby kowtow » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:37 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:start small

Thanks Lonesomebri. I've thought about starting small and that's how I wanted to initially start out. As I've transcended deeper into this magical mire and begun internalizing the 10 Principles, it seems counter to them all if I start small.
DISCLAIMER - Kids please do not follow me on these forums for my grammar, punctuation, spelling or my general ill-use of the English language. Stay in school, adhere to abstinence, never drink or do cannabis. -kowtow
kowtow

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:10 pm

Okay. You clearly have the motivation down pat. Good for ya!

Now lets switch gears. Tent. Sleeping bag. Stove. Hexayurt? Shade? Cooler? Transportation? Bicycle? Better make a list. See the thread "one item for burning man per week" and start doing it.

Get the big pieces done and the rest will happen on its own time. :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Sham » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:09 pm

My best virginistic advice is to come your first year with an open mind and do a bit more enjoying the city and all it has to offer. Small art and creative costumes are awesome. As was mentioned, plan on your camping gear and survival stuff. Watch for tickets going on sale and get in the fray.
Good luck with your plans and welcome to eplaya!!

Sham....
Sham

Postby kowtow » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks Sham and GreyCoyote. Great advice. I've very much been thinking about the essentials (shelter, food, water,) and that's part of the reason I'm leaning towards joining a camp. The sheer logistics and my naivety on what all to bring down to knowing which direction to have the RV facing to avoid wind and weather is all the more reason I want to align with others initially. I will still bring the essentials, just not on the same scale as if I was supporting an entire camp.

My passion right now is about the art project and the giving that goes along with it. I find myself spending a great deal of time trying to not only envision the scope of it, but in parallel the engineering requirements. I can definitely see that even aligning with a camp it's going to be necessary to mind-share and resource-share in order to make it an all around success.

I want to provide a camp with anything I can offer them. One of the most difficult things I've encountered as an unaffiliated newb is a resource to aid in finding camps. I have the iBurn app that lists all the camps by name, I've looked at regional sites to find local camps, but they all lack the completeness of being able to search all camps by location, theme, status (open/closed). I see a real need for an inclusive resource like this.

As more emphasis is placed on the 10 principles it logically follows a path towards needing to belong to a camp in order to attend. I know that may rub some people the wrong way, but based on what I'm learning and in watching Spark: A Burning Man Story, I feel this is a natural BM progression to contend with the ticket demand outpacing the ticket supply. That situation is only going to get more and more difficult as the popularity grows. In the future I see those who radically follow the 10 principles and can exemplify it throughout the year being the ones who will continue getting tickets, while those who just want to attend get told "I'm sorry" because they just don't have anything to offer, nor do they want to offer anything.

When it's all said and done this Burnign Man thing is beginning to give me an entirely new perspective on how I view the world around me. Thanks Everyone!
kowtow

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:13 pm

Hello there!

As you've seen, there is no all-inclusive list of camps. Thousands have come and gone. Not everyone can be placed, but anyone can be a camp. So--there is no way to list all camps. I can name my own camp, hang out a shingle and do whatever within the law, provided I'm not infringing upon a placed camp's space.

There is a list of Placed camps every year, but it appears late enough in the year (July) that you will not want to wait for that to make inquiries, as you may have guessed. Many camps close by April or May. And they close when they want to; management varies widely (as it should).

Visit the Main site --> Theme Camps --> 2013 Theme Camps (right margin). There's a list of who was there this year. Search by keyword if you like (city, interest, whatever) or just read alphabetically. Do not inquire just yet. Everyone is exhausted. Wait until at least October or November. Attend regional events. I imagine you've got that covered. :)

And please know that hopping into a camp's midst and too quickly announcing your worry about tickets is premature and a little bit of a turn-off. Make friends, go to events, RELAX, and try to get a ticket on your own first when ticket time rolls around. :) Most of the people who wanted to go this year actually found a ticket. It's about getting your time off, not giving up, budgeting, and being ready even at the last minute that really determines whether you make it.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby kowtow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:19 am

Awesome advice on all accounts Savannah! I didn't realize the theme camps were dynamic to the degree you described. Taking that into account it would be rather challenging to have such a comprehensive list. You really helped me organize my thoughts and how I should tackle the challenges that lie ahead.

I guess the catch-22 for me is that it will take me the next 51 weeks to put together this art project. It will stretch me to my limits in many ways and there is a sense of fear that once I'm 35 weeks further into this I could be sitting without a ticket and thousands of dollars into an art project. I guess I could ask the local mayor if he'd let me place it in the park (just kidding). As you suggested, now is not the time to be expressing those concerns, so I'll slow my cadence down and pedal just a bit slower. I'll try to decompress a little, but as a virgin that's difficult because I'm still naive to what it feels like to really decompress. :wink:
kowtow

Postby Sham » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:17 am

Kowtow, just a reminder that tickets do not sell out immediately. I'm not sure what the process will be for 2014, but if you pay attention to the date, you WILL have a ticket. Further, there are oodles of tickets that are sold by people who's plans have changed. Simply put, if you are determined to go, you will go.
Sham

Postby kowtow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:44 am

Thanks Shambala! I feel an even greater sense of ease now.

I'll keep my mind on today and let the enigma of tomorrow come as it may!
kowtow

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:45 am

burning man 2014

dirt jesus vs. pink jesus

the final showdown.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby kowtow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:58 am

Savannah wrote:Visit the Main site --> Theme Camps --> 2013 Theme Camps (right margin). There's a list of who was there this year. Search by keyword if you like (city, interest, whatever) or just read alphabetically.

Savannah - A quick question. On the 2013 Theme Camp page, it's only showing the camps by each letter of the alphabet and when I do a search (e.g. Portland) it returns 0 results. If you search for say "Northwest" it returns a few, one of which is 'Northwest Mist' whose hometown is Portland. It looks like it's only searching on Title and Description and not Hometown.

Sorry it's not an IT question for you, but I was just wondering if you were able to search the same list but by city.

Thanks!
kowtow

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:12 am

"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Sham » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:44 am

Theme camps are based on groups of like minded people---most from all different corners of the world.
Please try not to stress about all the details at this point. There will be plenty of time for stress two weeks prior to your trip to the desert.
Breath in--breath out, breath in---breath out!
Sham

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:27 am

kowtow, stop what you're doing immediately!!!

Most regionals will be doing a decomp event very soon now.

Find yours, get there, and talk to everybody for hours and hours.

Prioritize by doing needs first and wants second, and don't get ahead of yourself.

Welcome to Eplaya. 8)

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:48 am

It is very easy to get in way over your head. Folks are saying start small. I say start smart. Your best made plans will have failures. Flexibility, agility and humility are your best friends out there. You can't have enough redundancy, it is a belt and suspenders endeavor.

Link to Portland Burners (There are a lot of folks, and are usually well-represented on the playa!):http://www.burningmanportland.com/
and http://regionals.burningman.com/regionals/north-america/portland/
chiefdanfox

Postby kowtow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks guys. I've checked out the regionals and I have looked at what Portland has to offer. It's great that they are linked to and advertised from the main BM site. Beyond that there is no Portland decompression events listed and it doesn't look like they do much more than their SOAK regional event annually in July. Much of the information on the site is outdated or a dead link. Maybe that's just a web administrator issue and not anything broader.

I get the "start small," "stop what your doing immediately," comments. I do understand plans fail, I work in high-tech in production, service and quality manager roles and I have a sigma black belt in quality. I have quality and reliability issues that I'm fielding all the time. I'm not trying to share credentials to brag, far from it. It's more that I understand what everyone's saying, but the other side of it is that I also believe in preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Aside from having a hint of OCD, okay maybe a little more than that, I believe in over planning and over analyzing, so that there are no surprises down the road.

Taking this energy and focusing it in the right direction is my goal. I don't want to stifle my excitement but I do want to channel it and make something great happen. After it's all over next year I may say I spent way to much money, spent way too much time, over planned everything, and went way over the top, but I'll hopefully be able to say It was one fuckin great time to be had by all!

Thanks as always for your great inputs and ideas.
kowtow

Postby Riv » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:53 am

Remember that you can camp alone, especially if you're a resourceful OCD type! You won't really be alone--you'll meet your neighbors and find people you click with really quickly. That's what I did this year, anyway :)
Riv

Burning Since: 2013

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:43 am

Yup, being a solo badass is great!

This was my 4th year going by myself and I'm not alone once I get there, but there is NO interdependent drama.

Now more and more Eplayans are moving into the area I started in (and stayed in: 5 and H) ,but we're a loose affiliation of individual campers who have Eplaya in common.

Love um all, but try not to become dependent.

I do understand the "be prepared for anything" as I was a stealth virgin! 8)

Same set up as the first year!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:51 am

kowtow wrote:
Savannah wrote:Visit the Main site --> Theme Camps --> 2013 Theme Camps (right margin). There's a list of who was there this year. Search by keyword if you like (city, interest, whatever) or just read alphabetically.

Savannah - A quick question. On the 2013 Theme Camp page, it's only showing the camps by each letter of the alphabet and when I do a search (e.g. Portland) it returns 0 results. If you search for say "Northwest" it returns a few, one of which is 'Northwest Mist' whose hometown is Portland. It looks like it's only searching on Title and Description and not Hometown.

Sorry it's not an IT question for you, but I was just wondering if you were able to search the same list but by city.

Thanks!

No, you can't search by city. I simply suggested it because a number of camps list a hometown (which pop up in a keyword search) but probably only half of them. Note: You need not be from the same city as a camp's core members to be part of said camp. Many camps have people from all over the United States, Europe, Australia and more. If you want to be part of a build or get a local team for your art, it does help to find local camps . . . but you might not jive with them.

Every camp does things a little differently. Some offer a great deal of support (meal plans, showers, etc) some just offer group shade. There are free camps for the mostly self-sufficient who just want friends, and camps that charge hundreds and hundreds for ridiculous deluxe packages that tend to get a lot of mockery here on ePlaya. Note: there is no governing body that will get you your money back if your camp fails to deliver--no "Better Camp Bureau". Do your research, listen to your instincts, and consider supplying as much as you can for yourself so that if something isn't as good as promised, it barely affects you.

You can also camp alone. If I can handle it, almost anyone can.

Savannah

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:58 am

As more emphasis is placed on the 10 principles it logically follows a path towards needing to belong to a camp in order to attend.

Somehow half the newbies have it in their head that joining a theme camp is required. I don't join a camp, I make a camp. If you can't even do that once, you might not be able to enlist all the engineers and resources you need for your grand dream to come true. Joining a camp, your dreams might not be theirs to share. Why would veterans with their own goals and visions take on yours? If you come across as having a grand vision that they should adopt, that might turn them off. Thousands of people go, they bring it, and they do it without affiliation to a theme camp. They bring it, they don't ask others to. Bring it. If the 10 principles demand that I join a theme camp, I reject those principles. And if someone is saying that those wonderful people bringing it who don't belong to a theme camp are not true Burners, it's time to take this to the Dome.

If this event is a big deal to you, you will probably go again. Might want to use this first time to see what is going on. Build on experience. You saw the Spark movie more than once....

All the best. You're motivated, smart, have time. See you in the dust come 2014.
Lonesomebri

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby kowtow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:05 pm

FigJam, I love the setup! I see your livin' in the White House. Can I ask, why did you opt for such a small trailer (weight)? I would have thought you'd at least do a 4'x8' and have a front porch or a back yard. The awning is a wonderful touch, how do you keep that big kite from flying away?

There's one thing you brought up that I hadn't thought much about and that is the "independant drama." I have been pretty selective with people who've said they want to go. Here's the scenario "Hey, I'll fly into Reno, rent a car and drive up there to hang out with ya for the week." My answer was "Um... you might want to learn a little more about before you do that." The thought of getting into a drama rich camp isn't appealing either. Hmmm a "Not A Fucking Camp Camp" sounds appealing already.
kowtow

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:26 pm

When I decided to go, I read everything about tents, RVs, yurts, and travel trailers.

As soon as I looked at "no mesh tent" starting at $500, I figured I could build a lot for $500.

The "Playapod" is 6'2"x6'x8', has a swamp cooler, and is wire with three 12volt outlets for lights, music, and the cooler.

Treated inside and out with elastimer roof coating that is very reflective (so a little light goes a long way) , and when I get home I just hose it out.

I can arrive in the middle of a white out and just get in and sit it out.

The whole camp sets up in abot 45 minutes and is ancored at the ground with 14"x3/8" lag bolts installed with a drill so there is no pounding or prying for me. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Kowtow, part of the reason that doesn't blow away is because it's got a fairly flat ceiling and very little in the way of walls. There's little to catch the wind.

He's also got it nailed down really well.

Savannah

Postby kowtow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:24 pm

FIGJAM wrote: The whole camp sets up in abot 45 minutes and is ancored at the ground with 14"x3/8" lag bolts installed with a drill so there is no pounding or prying for me. 8)

I dig the pad! I lived in Japan for 8 years and I'm telling you I lived in smaller places than that whileI was over there. Okay I get the V-8 juice by the bed, a little vodka and V-8 gets the morning on, but what the hell is that white thing hanging from the rafters?

5 and H huh? I'm getting more and more motivated to take on the desert dust on my lonesome. No I take that back, I'm fuckin sold on doing this myself! If I hadn't pissed in Lonesomebri's Wheaties I would have made it a point to invite her to my shagnasty art exhibit once it flops down on the scorched earth.

I do appreciate the banter back and forth and I will cherish any time I get to spend with each and every one of you out on the dusty playa court. I may be a fuckin' train wreck when it comes to my unbridled energy, but know inside I'm full of love for all you've provided me. :coffee:
kowtow

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:37 pm

You're gonna rock it kowtow. And I ain't no she, though I've never been called anything nicer.
Lonesomebri

Postby kowtow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:You're gonna rock it kowtow. And I ain't no she, though I've never been called anything nicer.

Oh shit, I feel like I just woke up from a drunkin stuper next to a she-him and I'm wanting to chew my arm off. Forgive me, maybe it was the burning pooch that led me astray. Love you to man!
kowtow

Postby gypsy68 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:00 am

Sign up for the Burning Man Portland Facebook page. You will find info for BurnOut: Portland's Decompression.
gypsy68

Burning Since: 2004

Postby kowtow » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:27 pm

gypsy68 wrote:Sign up for the Burning Man Portland Facebook page. You will find info for BurnOut: Portland's Decompression.

Right on gypsy68, I had signed up w/BM Portland FB page. I just saw the BurnOut information. Rhetorically speaking why wouldn't this information make to the official Portland BM webpage? If they need a web administrator for the http://www.burningmanportland.com site, I would be willing to maintain it. I think it's important to provide the most concise and up to date information. If a newb like me didn't find up to date info, then there are a vast number of other "contributors" who have been lost, because they couldn't find the information either.
kowtow

Next

Return to Open Discussion