Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby whiskeylips » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:29 pm

So I'm sitting at volunteer questionaire. I am stumped as to how I want to participate, and wanted to ask advice - specifically anyone who works/ed for DPW or Gayte.

DPW : Does it makes any sense to volunteer with DPW if I can't spend more than a week pre-event in the desert? When do YOU show up? Did any of you join without knowing anyone (I do know a few people who work DPW but not well)? What made you join? How much work is done during the event? How would you describe the attitude of people on your team or the types of people that join and stick? (I have my own assumptions, most of which are unsavory which makes me want to join because fuck you) I do have a background in construction and operating heavy machinery, love to work hard and with my hands. Being physically exhausted at the end of the day is rewarding for me, because I'm literally stupid. I would go for this if I was certain I could be of use even though I can't be out there 3 weeks before the event. So what the fuck would I be in for if I say DPW and get chosen by the VC?

Gayte : Met some really cool people in the last year who work Gate / Perimeter / Exodous. How is the job? Sounds like you guys don't get to have much fun at gate because you're winnowing people down, working with people who have been waiting in line forever, don't really get to roam at all, and are away from the event during the week, basically working too fucking hard. How is the job fulfilling? What's the attitude of the crew? What type of people join and stick? How many shifts are usually worked during the event? How important is it to be a "people" "person"? What the fuck am I in for if I say GPE (primarily Gate / Perimeter) and am chosen by the VC?
whiskeylips
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:46 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Cool Camp

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby ygmir » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 pm

well as with all things, it works for some, and not others.
I work with GPE, in a couple depts.
I very much enjoy what I do, and see lots of folks who come in new, and really don't know much.
They either jump right in, and have a great time, or realize it's "just not for them"
I hesitate to say much, because your experience, will be your own.
And truly, it is and will be, what you make it.
Realize, it's a fairly tight knit group, many there have worked together for years.
good folks, to a fault.
If you really get in dig deep and do your best, you'll have a great time.
But, don't go in with ANY EXPECTATIONS!!
Just be open to learning, thicken your skin a little, and dive in.



good luck
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25977
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 pm

why anyone would want to join the Department of Penis Whistles(DPW) is beyond me.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Wrath » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:37 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:why anyone would want to join

Sometimes you love it when it hurts so good?
User avatar
Wrath
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:37 pm
Location: Tenderloin Heights

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:02 am

I don't work with either department, but understand that DPW is essentially the team responsible for building the city infrastructure. As such, they have a greater need for volunteers who can come very early or stay very late. If you can't commit to that kind of time, that department may not be the best match.

What ygmir said regarding Gayte (he's the expert when it comes to GPE). If you're looking for something where you get to wander around, that's probably not a great match.

Any job is as fun and rewarding as you make it. The work will be hard, but if it's something that's interesting, rewarding, and challenging to you, you'll enjoy it. If you're not sure if one of the departments listed would be a good fit, or nothing on the list really grabs you, don't despair. Another option is to participate 'on the day' by going to Playa Info (near Center Camp) and then the adjacent volunteer resource center. They coordinate with different departments as well as artists and projects who have needs for additional help and 'day labor' opportunities.
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10622
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby TomServo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:33 am

If you want to try out the DPW, they have work weekends at the ranch. Around spring time....there are several scheduled weekends. If your signed up as a potential volunteer, you should receive an email. Its a lot of work, but tons of fun! Even when its miserable and raining...just develope a taste for Jim Beam and PBR. If you can weld, paint, fix cars, fix trucks, carpenter...all the better! They have...or at least used to have strange rules about who could inhabit the ranch and when...so volunteers met up at Bruno's or elsewhere before entering the ranch. If your late..then just drive up.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Rice » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:36 am

If you are a new volunteer to either Gate or DPW it is unlikely that you would be given an Early Entry pass. I believe that EA passes are only given to proven volunteers from previous burns. (I know PG&E better than DPW so I might be wrong...)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby TomServo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 am

stretch80 wrote:If you are a new volunteer to either Gate or DPW it is unlikely that you would be given an Early Entry pass. I believe that EA passes are only given to proven volunteers from previous burns. (I know PG&E better than DPW so I might be wrong...)


I don't know either, but a work weekend or two may help. Or...you could volunteer your labor for a theme camp...that you would be required to join. You just don't have easy access to heavy equipment.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Rice » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:02 am

TomServo wrote:
stretch80 wrote:If you are a new volunteer to either Gate or DPW it is unlikely that you would be given an Early Entry pass. I believe that EA passes are only given to proven volunteers from previous burns. (I know PG&E better than DPW so I might be wrong...)


I don't know either, but a work weekend or two may help. Or...you could volunteer your labor for a theme camp...that you would be required to join. You just don't have easy access to heavy equipment.


I know that returning burners are welcome to volunteer at Gate (PG&E) during Burning Man. If they are reliable, and capable - they might get offered the opportunity of Early Entry. Not everyone that volunteers get one though..

I sure would love to do more off-playa volunteering! My problem is living 3000Km from the Ranch.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby whiskeylips » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:28 am

ygmir wrote:well as with all things, it works for some, and not others.
I work with GPE, in a couple depts.
I very much enjoy what I do, and see lots of folks who come in new, and really don't know much.
They either jump right in, and have a great time, or realize it's "just not for them"
I hesitate to say much, because your experience, will be your own.
And truly, it is and will be, what you make it.
Realize, it's a fairly tight knit group, many there have worked together for years.
good folks, to a fault.
If you really get in dig deep and do your best, you'll have a great time.
But, don't go in with ANY EXPECTATIONS!!
Just be open to learning, thicken your skin a little, and dive in.



good luck


Awesome, thanks- I'll keep it in mind.
whiskeylips
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:46 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Cool Camp

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby whiskeylips » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 am

TomServo wrote:
stretch80 wrote:If you are a new volunteer to either Gate or DPW it is unlikely that you would be given an Early Entry pass. I believe that EA passes are only given to proven volunteers from previous burns. (I know PG&E better than DPW so I might be wrong...)


I don't know either, but a work weekend or two may help. Or...you could volunteer your labor for a theme camp...that you would be required to join. You just don't have easy access to heavy equipment.


Heh, really not doing this as a slight to get EA, nor a chance to play on heavy equip. I am really just thinking of how I could best contribute, and work with some badass people. Thanks for your input!
whiskeylips
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:46 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Cool Camp

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby whiskeylips » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:33 am

trilobyte wrote:I don't work with either department, but understand that DPW is essentially the team responsible for building the city infrastructure. As such, they have a greater need for volunteers who can come very early or stay very late. If you can't commit to that kind of time, that department may not be the best match.

What ygmir said regarding Gayte (he's the expert when it comes to GPE). If you're looking for something where you get to wander around, that's probably not a great match.

Any job is as fun and rewarding as you make it. The work will be hard, but if it's something that's interesting, rewarding, and challenging to you, you'll enjoy it. If you're not sure if one of the departments listed would be a good fit, or nothing on the list really grabs you, don't despair. Another option is to participate 'on the day' by going to Playa Info (near Center Camp) and then the adjacent volunteer resource center. They coordinate with different departments as well as artists and projects who have needs for additional help and 'day labor' opportunities.


As for VRT- I am well aware, and have many friends in that department =) I am just looking for one step beyond / my own thing to do. I think VRT is a great option if things fall through. Thanks :D More thinking to do
whiskeylips
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:46 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Cool Camp

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:13 pm

whiskeylips wrote:Gayte : Met some really cool people in the last year who work Gate / Perimeter / Exodous. How is the job? Sounds like you guys don't get to have much fun at gate because you're winnowing people down, working with people who have been waiting in line forever, don't really get to roam at all, and are away from the event during the week, basically working too fucking hard. How is the job fulfilling? What's the attitude of the crew? What type of people join and stick? How many shifts are usually worked during the event? How important is it to be a "people" "person"? What the fuck am I in for if I say GPE (primarily Gate / Perimeter) and am chosen by the VC?


The outsider's impression I have received from my friends in GP&E is that 1) it's hard, occasionally dangerous work--it's easy to get hit by a car, so watch it 2) it can be very satisfying, and involve a certain degree of camaraderie and the dusty prestige born of performing a necessary and challenging function.

People who are a bit tough and no-nonsense seem to gravitate towards GP&E. I think one would have to be, in order to enforce rules, and because one is forced to be direct with a certain % of people who are disorganized, clueless, exhausted or occasionally actively dishonest.

If I had your interest in Gate and Perimeter, I'd fill out the form now, sign up for just 1-2 shifts to start when they become available, and see what happens. Almost every department will let you add shifts once you're out there.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10512
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby lemur » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Image
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby TomServo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:52 am

Image

There's also this.. But you may not be out of academy by BM.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Rice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Savannah wrote:
whiskeylips wrote:Gayte : Met some really cool people in the last year who work Gate / Perimeter / Exodous. How is the job? Sounds like you guys don't get to have much fun at gate because you're winnowing people down, working with people who have been waiting in line forever, don't really get to roam at all, and are away from the event during the week, basically working too fucking hard. How is the job fulfilling? What's the attitude of the crew? What type of people join and stick? How many shifts are usually worked during the event? How important is it to be a "people" "person"? What the fuck am I in for if I say GPE (primarily Gate / Perimeter) and am chosen by the VC?


The outsider's impression I have received from my friends in GP&E is that 1) it's hard, occasionally dangerous work--it's easy to get hit by a car, so watch it 2) it can be very satisfying, and involve a certain degree of camaraderie and the dusty prestige born of performing a necessary and challenging function.

People who are a bit tough and no-nonsense seem to gravitate towards GP&E. I think one would have to be, in order to enforce rules, and because one is forced to be direct with a certain % of people who are disorganized, clueless, exhausted or occasionally actively dishonest.

If I had your interest in Gate and Perimeter, I'd fill out the form now, sign up for just 1-2 shifts to start when they become available, and see what happens. Almost every department will let you add shifts once you're out there.

Savannah, you are completely correct in your observations!!

I originally signed up for one shift on Tuesday with Perimeter (my 2nd burn), after that shift I added myself to additional daily shifts for the remainder of that burn. I have had a shift almost every BM day since then (many burns).

Gate has a training sessions which give you an orientation and takes you to the gate to be mentored by experienced gate staff. Safety is mentioned, stated, reinforced and constantly on everyone's mind. If you are wired for it: Gate is an awesome volunteering experience. The conditions at gate are always twice what they are in BRC (ie: More dusty, hotter, colder, etc.) So make sure you are ready for the conditions. Goggles, dust mask, flashlight (necessary 24/7), extra clothes, a cup, water bottle, and practical clothes for climbing through a box truck search...)

http://gate.burningman.com
The videos will give you an idea on what PG&E (Perimiter Gate and Exodus) is really about...
[media]

[media]

[media]
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Miss Bunny » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 am

>cough cough<
Excuse me, I do believe the currently politically correct term is in fact:

"Dirty People Working"

oneeyeddick wrote:why anyone would want to join the Department of Penis Whistles(DPW) is beyond me.


Love,
Miss Bunny
Miss Bunny
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 11:39 am
Location: South of England
Burning Since: 2003

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby AntiM » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:46 am

Oh man, I have got me a craving for Dirty Penis Whistles now!
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16384
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:03 am

[media]
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Nipple » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 am

Working GPE *ACTIVELY* ruined my burn last year.

Can't wait to work with them next year.
User avatar
Nipple
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 am

Nipple wrote:Working GPE *ACTIVELY* ruined my burn last year.

Can't wait to work with them next year.



Image
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25977
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Ano » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:42 pm

So, if I threw in a volunteer application for GPE in January, about when does one think I would hear something back?
Ano
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Nipple » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:47 am

Soonish.

The machines are starting to grind to life.
User avatar
Nipple
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Rice » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 am

Ano wrote:So, if I threw in a volunteer application for GPE in January, about when does one think I would hear something back?

If I recall correctly it was maybe in May that I first heard back from PG&E.

As things begin to ramp up, you will get some nofitication emails, a link to the scheduling system & such. the exact day/month seems to vary from year to year so I cannot be more exact (sorry).

Please be patient. I have been volunteering with PG&E for several years now and have not heard any official burn-related info for the 2013 burn.


Ano, have you decided what part of PG&E you wish to work for? I spend most of my time with Perimeter, but as of last year have started volunteering for Gate as well.

Just because:
[media]
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Rice » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 am

Since I seem to have double-posted, here is the link to the PG&E department website:

http://gate.burningman.com/

Enjoy ;)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Ano » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Speak of the devil, I actually just got an e-mail back yesterday. I'm very excited.

I want to go Gate and Perimeter, but I might do Exodus as well to dip my feet into a little bit of everything and see what I like... although I honestly don't know how I feel about being on the blacktop, and I'm not sure how work will feel about more days off. I'm going to see what happens, I'm jumping in with no expectations beyond lots of dust and at least one difficult interaction.
Ano
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Rice » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 pm

Ano wrote:Speak of the devil, I actually just got an e-mail back yesterday. I'm very excited.

I want to go Gate and Perimeter, but I might do Exodus as well to dip my feet into a little bit of everything and see what I like... although I honestly don't know how I feel about being on the blacktop, and I'm not sure how work will feel about more days off. I'm going to see what happens, I'm jumping in with no expectations beyond lots of dust and at least one difficult interaction.

Good. As I said, I have no idea how long it took for me to get my 1st response.

Hope to see ya on a shift or three ;)

If you are doing Perimeter, there might be a pre-shift Orientation... It is a bit of an overload - but worth it just to begin getting your head around what goes on in Perimeter.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:36 pm

I thought it was Drunk People Welding
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
User avatar
Captain Goddammit
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:15 pm

If you're still looking for a GREAT way to volunteer this late in the game, you are more than welcome to join the Poop Patrol. I'll take anyone regardless of experience, lucidity or clothes!
4 hour shift
You get to see the whole city, possibly places you've not even heard of!
You get fed
t shirt, scarf and bragging rights come w the job

See: Get Involved > All about participating ing the Pottie Project

Just ask anyone who's done it, its the best fucking job on the Playa!

Good luck
RobbiDobbs
DPW Volunteer Coordinator, Special Projects (Porta potties)
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
User avatar
robbidobbs
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:07 pm
Location: Pottie Central
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Postby Elliot » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:53 pm

:D
That's a great idea!

Specially since... GP&E is now past their deadline for new recruits this year.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014



ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
User avatar
Elliot
 
Posts: 5271
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Clearlake, Northern California
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Next

Return to Get Involved!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest